From: Loganberry Books <loganberrybooks.gmail.com@bounces.cloud.em.secureserver.net>
Subject: Loganberry News May 2024
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 15:37:04 +0000
To: Harriett Logan <books@logan.com>
Loganberry News May 2024

shopping-at-local-independent-bookstores-is-a-gift-to-community-822c44f312159284

Loganberry News May 2024

Celebrating bookstores in all life's seasons

Thanks for all the Indie love on Independent Bookstore Day! It’s like a birthday party for us (any excuse for cake!), and we appreciate the attention and the opportunity to draw attention to some of the smaller and newer bookstores in town, like the shops on this year’s NEOH IBD Punch Card. (Don't forget to visit 10 of the 16 participating stores before the end of this month to earn a discount!).

Speaking of birthdays, the end of this month would have been Otis' 16th birthday, and we are so saddened he is no longer with us. If you saw this announcement on social media, you'll know we are fundraising for BINC in his honor (for the Booksellers Emergency Fund). More great pictures of Otis follow below.

Thanks again for your patronage and reading recommendations. Hope to see you at our Sidewalk Sale or any of our other events this month. Happy Spring!

Author Events

9780593536131

Amy Tan: The Backyard Bird Chronicles
Monday, May 6, 6pm
~in person at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History~
Legendary author Amy Tan comes to CMNH for a special celebration of her new memoir, The Backyard Bird Chronicles, a gorgeously illustrated, witty account of birding, nature, and the beauty around us. Ms. Tan will be joined in conversation by Dr. Caitlin Colleary, CMNH Associate Curator of Vertebrate Paleontology and an audience Q&A will follow.

The free event is sold out, but signed copies of the book are still available! Reserve your copy here.

ibg.common.titledetail

Randy Cunningham: Where We Live
Wednesday, May 29, 7pm
~in-store~
Please join Loganberry Books and Pilgrim Press for the launch of Randy Cunningham's new book: Where We Live: Environmental Activists' Fight to Save Their Communities. Randy will appear in conversation with journalist Sam Allard.

Drawing on extensive interviews conducted with environmental activists across rural and urban Appalachia and the Midwest, Randy Cunningham analyzes what motivates activists, how they strategize, and what issues they encounter. This is an indispensable guide to the on-the-ground realities of environmental activism in contemporary America.

Randy Cunningham has been both an activist and a writer about activists and activism since the 1970s. He is a founding member of the Cuyahoga County Progressive Caucus, is retired from working in the non-profit housing field and lives with his wife on Cleveland’s West Side.

9781586423827

Philip Eil: Prescription for Pain: How a Once-Promising Doctor Became the "Pill Mill Killer"
Thursday, May 30, 7pm
~in-store~
Join us for an author talk and book signing with Philip Eil about his new book, Prescription for Pain: How a Once-Promising Doctor Became the "Pill Mill Killer" about an Ohio true crime tragedy.

This haunting and propulsive debut follows a journalist’s years-long investigation into his father’s old classmate: former high school valedictorian Paul Volkman, who once seemed destined for greatness after earning his MD and his PhD from the prestigious University of Chicago, but is now serving four consecutive life sentences at a federal prison in Arizona after his role in the opioid crisis was linked to at least 13 deaths in Southern Ohio.

Philip Eil is an award-winning freelance journalist based in his hometown, Providence, Rhode Island. He has contributed to The Atlantic, Men’s Health, the Boston Globe, Huffington Post, and the Columbia Journalism Review, among other outlets. He has also taught writing and journalism classes at Brown University, Columbia University’s School of the Arts, and the Rhode Island School of Design.

Local Voices

9781586444419

John Bernatovicz: HR Like a Boss
Saturday, May 4, 3pm
~in-store~
HR Like a Boss offers HR professionals all the tools they need to help employees feel more connected to their organization and ensure success. This book combines real-life stories of HR professionals who embody the characteristics of a “boss” — a skilled business leader— with actionable insights for making an impact on people, organizations, and communities.

John Bernatovicz has started or been an owner in six ventures over the last 20 years, and is currently the president and founder of Willory, a staffing and consulting firm focused on HR and payroll. He is a keynote speaker on the positive business impact that HR can have on employees, businesses, and communities.

Book Clubs & Discussion Groups

IMG 6621

Democracy Book Club

On Tyranny_ by Timothy Snyder & Surviving Autocracy_ by Masha Gessen
Thursdays, May 2, 9, 16, 23, 4pm
~4 Thursdays in May; in-store~
Democracy Book Club devotes one Thursday afternoon every week for one month to in-depth discussions of books on democracy and progressive politics here at Loganberry, and all are welcome to join! You can come to all meetings, or any that work for your schedule.

This month, the club will read and discuss two books in tandem, On Tyranny by Timothy Snyder and Surviving Autocracy by Masha Gessen. Purchase these titles from Loganberry for 10% off by clicking the titles above! Connect with other Democracy Book Club members via the Facebook Group.

9780316279291 2ddec

Murmurations Yoga Book Club

The Intersectional Environmentalist by Leah Thomas
Friday, May 3, 6pm
~in-person at Abide: 13001 Larchmere Blvd~
Our neighbors at Abide Yoga (2 doors down from us on Larchmere) host Murmurations, a monthly hybrid yoga class and book club, and we offer participants 10% off featured titles!

The Intersectional Environmentalist is an accessible handbook for the next generation of activists looking to create meaningful, inclusive, and sustainable change, not just to "Nature" but to the whole complex web of life that humans are inextricably part of.

Register here for the book club and yoga class

Order a copy of the book from Loganberry for mailing or store pickup for 10% off!

9780723247708 dbd59

Storytime for Toddlers

Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter
Wednesday, May 8, 11am
~in-store, 2nd Wednesdays~
Loganberry Books and Patricia Cullen-Murphy, aka Nanny Patricia, present Storytime for Toddlers, for kids ages 1-4 years old!

9780756418281

For the Thrill of Lit

Seven Devils by LR Lam and Elizabeth May
Thursday, May 16, 7pm
~in-store and online~
When Eris faked her death, she thought she'd left her old life as the heir to the galaxy's most ruthless empire behind. But she's been assigned a new mission: to infiltrate a spaceship ferrying deadly cargo and return the intelligence gathered to the Resistance. Her partner for the mission, Cloelia, bears an old grudge against Eris, making an already difficult infiltration even more complicated. But the clock is ticking, and if they can't succeed, millions may die.

Join us in store or register here for the Zoom link!

Buy a copy of the book for 10% off!

9781328566423

Naturalist's Notebook

Season on the Wind by Kenn Kaufman
Sunday, May 19, 1pm
~Held at the Shaker Lakes Nature Center, 2600 S Park Blvd, 44120~
It's migration season! Kenn Kaufman is well known for his guide books but is the author of many other nature-related books. Season on the Wind: Inside the World of Spring Migration focuses on bird migration (and birders!) in our part of the country along the edge of Lake Erie--warbler country.

Join Loganberry Books and the Nature Center for this timely read with promises of a bird walk before or after. Free registration here.

rebelreaders

Rebel Readers

Betty Friedan: Magnificent Disrupter by Rachel Shteir
Sunday, May 19, 3pm
~in-store, 3rd Sundays~
Join hosts Dahlia Fisher & Felicia Haney, women from different backgrounds with shared values, lifting the voices of authors writing at the intersections of race, religion, culture, sexuality through a variety of genres. All are welcome!

In honor of Jewish Heritage Month, in May we're reading Betty Friedan: Magnificent Disrupter by Rachel Shteir.

Community Arts & Culture

DouglasManry

Annex Gallery

Douglas Manry: Narrative Magic
May 2-June 2, 2024
~Opening Reception: Thursday, May 2, 6-8pm~
Join us for the opening of our May art exhibition, Narrative Magic, featuring the work of local artist Douglas Manry!

Douglas Manry first became hooked on drawing when, as a child, he felt the need to capture whatever interested him on paper. Over time this became an obsession, and if reality didn't supply enough material, he resorted to inventing some. His motto is "if something needs attention, I can do it through my art."

9781250880390

Les Délices Performance

Sancho's London: A Performance and Panel Discussion
Wednesday, May 8, 7pm
~in-store~
We're delighted to welcome early music ensemble Les Délices, performers from Cleveland’s Contemporary Youth Orchestra, and a panel discussion by guest speakers from the Ohio Center for the Book centered around Black cultural life in 18th Century London, in particular, composer and activist Charles Ignatius Sancho.

Musicians will perform Jonathan Woody’s Suite for Strings after the works of Charles Ignatius Sancho and copies of the new novelization of Sancho's life, The Secret Diaries of Charles Ignatius Sancho, by Paterson Joseph will be for sale. We hope you'll join us for this lively FREE evening of music, education, and conversation.

broadsides-lg

Broadsides & Ephemera

Featured Reader: Norman Finkelstein
Thursday, May 9, 7pm
~in-store; second Thursdays~
Norman Finkelstein was born in New York City, educated at Binghamton University and Emory, served on the English faculty of Xavier University and retired from teaching in 2020. He is the author of thirteen books of poetry and six volumes of literary criticism and has published widely in the fields of modern American poetry and Jewish literature. J. Peter Moore that Finkelstein “has crafted a singular poetics, sensitive to the overlapping traditions of Jewish mysticism, radical poetics and post-modern thought."

nobs-logo-xs

NOBS Forums

Paul Bauer & Mark Dawidziak: Jim Tully: American Writer, Irish Rover, Hollywood Brawler
Thursday, May 23, 7pm
~in-store and online~
Join us for a special program featuring Paul Bauer, used and rare book dealer at Archer’s Books, and author/editor Mark Dawidziak as they regale us with stories of Jim Tully, the subject of their co-authored biography. Jim Tully: American Writer, Irish Rover, Hollywood Brawler follows the hardscrabble life of this Irish American storyteller, from his immigrant roots, rural upbringing, and hobo life riding the rails, to the dream factory of Golden Age Hollywood and the fall of his fortunes during the Great Depression.

Join us in-store at Loganberry or participate via Zoom (Meeting ID: 867 5915 6841; Passcode: 729822)

SidewalkSale-letters-s

Larchmere Sidewalk Sale

Saturday, May 25, 10am-6pm
~semi-annual~
For over 3 decades, Larchmere Boulevard has hosted Sidewalk Sales on the Saturdays preceding Memorial and Labor Days. The tradition continues! Here at Loganberry Books, we’ll have BARGAIN BOOKS, end-of-season clearance sales, as well as our random "Loganberry Lumberyard" sale of bric-a-brac and vintage finds. And inside the store, everything is 20% off! You read that right. This sale happens only twice a year, so be sure not to miss it!

IMG 6760

Broaden Your Bookshelf 2024

~on Instagram~
Join our reading challenge on Instagram! Find great new book recommendations and enjoy surprises and some small prizes along the way. Show us what you pick using the #BroadenYourBookshelf24 hashtag!

May prompt: #MayDayReads "May Day!" is freighted with many different meanings. This month, choose #MayDayReads that broaden your own personal bookshelf. Don’t know much about pagan or nature-based traditions? Sketchy on the history of unions or labor history? Has it been ages since you read a gripping disaster adventure? Something else evoked by “May Day” that we’ve missed? Find the book that fits the prompt and share it using our hashtags!

Save the date!

AA21Front-min2

Author Alley 2024

Registration for Author Alley 2024 is LIVE! Author Alley is our long-running festival of books by Northeast Ohio authors, and this year, it will take place across one full August weekend, with a kickoff on Friday evening, August 9, running through Saturday 8/10 and Sunday 8/11.

Are you a local author? Click here to register. We can't wait to celebrate with you!

Sales, Specials, and FYIs

Otis Memorial Fundraiser

otis-counter-hi-s
2009-01-Otis-etc0019
2009-02-Otis-climbs0012
IMG 0993

It is with great sadness we announce the passing of our beloved shop cat, Otis, on April 7, 2024. He found us as a loud, scrawny kitten, enjoyed exploring all reaches of the store, greeted customers with cordial aplomb, loved children and enjoyed joining them in play. He will be missed by so many.

Because Otis was a dedicated bookstore employee, we have chosen the Book Industry Charitable Foundation (BINC) as a worthy cause for those who wish to commemorate his life. Donate here in Otis' Honor.

download

On Sale This Month

To celebrate spring being fully sprung, we’re offering 20% off our Gardening section all month long! You can find detailed how-to guides, histories of horticulture, great gardeners' memoirs and many other sources of inspiration!

images

Small Press Focus

Interlink Publishing
With a rich catalog spanning fiction, non-fiction, and children's literature, Interlink Books strives to connect readers with books that highlight global voices and foster cultural understanding. Their commitment to championing authors from diverse backgrounds worldwide makes them a particular delight to feature--we hope you'll stop by and browse our featured collection of some of their titles this month!

Tree of Cranes cover

Collectible Books

Celebrate Asian American Heritage Month with this beautiful signed edition of Allen Say's Tree of Cranes, complete with an original sketch by the author.

Browse our ever-expanding collectible listings here, or email wendy@logan.com for a personalized suggestion for any budget!

64fdc0cd84df37be08c4f9926cf9faca

Used Book Buying

Mondays and Fridays, 10:30am-5:30pm

Please call us before you come in. As usual, we offer cash or 20% more in store credit for used and collectible books that we deem saleable, and you'll need to take away any we decline to purchase. More details about our buying procedures here. We look forward to seeing your treasures!

469-4698575 tall-stack-of-books-transparent-hd-png-download

Bulk Order Discounts

Does your church, synagogue, school, book club, or company need to order 10 or more copies of a book for a group read or special event? Order from Loganberry and receive a discount! We can even deliver to your location free of charge! Contact elisabeth@logan.com for more details!

purple-present-box-isolated-27074455
▪ Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books
▪ Bookshop.org: Buy almost any book in print, have them shipped directly to you from the warehouse, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
▪ Loganberry Curated Reads: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for over 25 years!
▪ Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
▪ Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm.
▪ Social Media: **Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and the Loganberry Blog.**
Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books
Bookshop.org: Buy almost any book in print, have them shipped directly to you from the warehouse, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
Loganberry Curated Reads: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for over 25 years!
Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm.
Social Media: **Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and the Loganberry Blog.**

What are Loganberry booksellers reading for Asian American & Pacific Islander Heritage Month?

Click any title below to purchase a book for mailing or in-store pickup

9781770417151

Harriett recommends Denison Avenue by Daniel Innes (illustrations) and Christina Wong (text): "In fine ink renderings and prose that is occasionally graphic poetry, Denison Avenue tells an immigration story of aging, gentrification, language obscurity, and grief. It is a cry in the night that refuses to be silent, despite the buildings being razed and raised in the community that both shelters and shuns, the dialect that is at once Wong Cho Sum's identity and polarization. Read this to empathize with the displaced, and to experience the story in words, bilingual poetry, and pictures."

9780593315200

Cara recommends Stay True by Hua Hsu: "Imagine a classic love story, even one with a classic meet-cute, but make it about the most formative friendship you made in college that was cut far too short. An incredibly introspective, glorious book."

9781616959760

Elisabeth recommends The Widows of Malabar Hill by Sujata Massey: "This series is now on its fourth installment. I've loved every one, and relish every chance to introduce it to new readers with this first book featuring Perveen Mistry, brilliant young female solicitor in 1920s Mumbai."

9780358213260

Freddy recommends Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri: "With a touch of melancholy but beautifully written, this now-classic collection of short stories explores the inner lives of nine individuals, and Lahiri's writing gives deeper understanding of how difficult making a new life in a new world can be."

9780063257610

Wendy recommends Chlorine by Jade Song: "Ren Yu is obsessed with swimming and mermaids, and she will stop at nothing to make her life (and her body) conform to a world that revolves around water. As a melding of horror and coming-of-age story, this debut novel is both unsettling and revelatory and, like the smell of chlorine, will stick with you for a long time."

9781603094504

Julie recommends They Called Us Enemy by George Takei: "This moving children's graphic novel is the true story of Takei's experience at a WWII Japanese internment camp. I learned a lot from this book, and I recommend it for adults as well as children."

51MaWEGWO9L

Toni recommends 888 Love and the Divine Burden of Numbers by Abraham Chang: "New York in the '90s + child of immigrants + big pop culture energy = a delightful romp of a book in the tradition of Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao, High Fidelity, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow."

9781638930594 81ed1

Devon recommends Ocean's Godori by Elaine U. Cho: "Delicate details of intergalactic celebrity politics and nuances of queerness and racism fill this incredible space opera. We follow Ocean and her found family in the form of a spaceship crew, setting off from a distant-future Korea. The twists and turns will leave you breathless!"

Coming next month:

Books to Celebrate LGBTQ+ Pride Month

Thanks for reading,
Harriett & all the Loganberries

▪ Open Mon-Wed, Fri-Sat: 10-6, Thurs: 10am-8:30, Sun 12-5
▪ Masks recommended
▪ It's so nice to see you, thanks for stopping by!
Open Mon-Wed, Fri-Sat: 10-6, Thurs: 10am-8:30, Sun 12-5
Masks recommended
It's so nice to see you, thanks for stopping by!

Like   Tweet