From: Harriett Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: Cards and Caldecotts from Loganberry Books!
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 11:36:51 -0500
To: loganberrynews@logan.com <loganberrynews@logan.com>

Salutations!

It’s probably our most popular sale of the year:  the January Card Sale!  That’s right, all holiday cards and 2012 calendars are now 50% off, and all everyday cards are 20% off.  We have close to 2000 cards in stock, so now’s your chance to come stock up for the year!  J

Also, we’re super excited about our live webcast of the ALA Youth Awards, aka the Caldecott Party.  We’ve been talking about this for years, and we finally got our act together to do it, so please come join us.  See below for details.

Recent Acquisitions

·         Empires of Early Latin America (The Aztecs and The Incas by Nigel Davies, The Maya by Norman Hammond), nicely bound & boxed by the Folio Society

·         A new Inspector Lynley mystery by Elizabeth George, Believing the Lie (did you know she’s coming to Cleveland in October for Bouchercon?)

·         Love Goes to Buildings on Fire by Will Hermes

·         Regina Brett’s new book, Be the Miracle

·         The Obamas by Jodi Kantor (reviewed by Connie Schultz to much fanfare)

·         George Cukor: Master of Elegance by Emanuel Levy (1st edition, $12.99)

·         The Memory of All That: Love and Politics in New York, Hollywood, and Paris by Betsy Blair (1st ed., $12)

·         Thrity Umrigar’s much-anticipated latest, The World We Found

·         Why We Hate Us: American Discontent in the New Millennium by Dick The Great Lakes Water Wars by Pete Annin (1st ed. $15.99)

·         Serious Tennis by Scott Williams caught Christine’s eye because Infinite Jest is all about tennis and the guy on the cover looks like David Foster Wallace

·         Rebecca’s first choice Holiday Staff Pick was out of stock in December, but Deborah Mitford’s Wait for Me! is back in stock

Stump the Bookseller  Selection of the month

C759: Coal camp girl on a train ride

Published in the 1910s or 1920s, probably (possibly the early thirties – but going on the story, I'd say it was the 1920s). Little girl growing up in a coal company town, probably in Pennsylvania, her father is a miner. She gets sick, and is sent to stay with a relative or seek better treatment. She ends up taking a long train ride by herself, and at first there's lots of description about the bleak company towns.

Annex Gallery
John Martin – New Works
January 5--30

John Martin is a retired businessman who has been a full-time artist for the past 5 years, as a student at Cleveland Institute of Art and other organizations. He is a long-time Shaker Heights resident, transplanted a few years ago to Cleveland Heights.  These imaginative monoprints are figure drawing in abstracted form.  The works are framed and will be available for sale during the show.  Show continues through January 30.

Live Music

Gene's Jazz Hot
Thursday, January 12, 7-9 p.m.
~ second Thursdays ~

Newsflash! Gene's Jazz Hot is a quartet again! Reed Simon, jazz violinist, is officially joining the group.  So join us for their first official concert as a quartet and enjoy some sultry cool and toe-tapping old timey tunes in the acoustically sound LitArts room. Band regulars rounding out the quartet are bassist and singer Gene Epstein, guitarist and singer Seth Rosen, and clarinetist and singer Bill Kenney.  Free homemade cookies will no doubt be served. Donations for the band gratefully accepted.

N.O.B.S. Forums

Christopher Busta-Peck: Hidden History of Cleveland

Thursday, January 19, 7 p.m.

~ third Thursdays ~

Author of the popular Cleveland Area History blog (www.clevelandareahistory.com), local librarian Christopher Busta-Peck has been featured in the Cleveland Plain Dealer and on NPR's “All Things Considered” for his work promoting and preserving Northeast Ohio's cultural heritage. At our January forum, Busta-Peck author will talk and sign copies of his first book, Hidden History of Cleveland.

Caldecott Party

ALA Awards Live Webcast

Monday, January 23, 8:30 a.m.

~ special event ~

At 7:45am Central Time, the American Library Association will announce the winners of the prestigious Caldecott Medal for the year’s most distinguished American picture book. They’ll also be announcing nearly 20 other youth literature awards, including the Newbery, Prinz and Coretta Scott King Awards, but we’re super excited about the Caldecott this year.  Join us for a Virtual Viewing Party of the live webcast.  We'll have coffee and bagels, and hopefully some of the winning books! Tell your friends, and let us know you're coming.  RSVP

Classics Club
David Foster Wallace’s Infinite Jest
Thursday, January 26, 7 pm

~ fourth Thursdays ~
The Classics Club, led by Christine Borne, meets monthly to discuss a modern or vintage classic.  About this month's selection: “Somewhere in the not-so-distant future, the screwed-up residents of Ennet House, a Boston halfway house for recovering addicts, and students at the Enfield Tennis Academy search for the master copy of a movie so dangerously entertaining that its viewers die in a state of catatonic bliss. Explores essential questions about what entertainment is, why we need it, and what it says about who we are. -- James Wood, Guardian

This is the third of four discussions on Infinite Jest. We will be reading through page 751. The fourth and final discussion will be on Thursday, February 23 at 7pm.

Looking Ahead

Valentine’s Night

Tuesday, February 14, 7pm

~ annual event ~

Date night at Loganberry!  Join us on Valentine's Night for wine and chocolate, a quiet evening with fine books, and the virtuoso guitar work of Brian Henke.  What could be more relaxed and romantic?

Hope to see you soon!

peace,

Harriett

Loganberry Books

13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800

On Twitter: @loganberrybooks   On Facebook: loganberrybooks

Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm; Thursday 'til 8pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/.

Image
image001.gif
Image