From: Harriett Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: Valentine's Night with live music, chocolate, and books
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 22:25:50 -0500
To: loganberrynews@logan.com <loganberrynews@logan.com>

Salutations Valentine!

Yes, we’re treating you to a lovely Valentine’s evening again this year.  What could be lovelier than live music and chocolate in a room surrounded by books?  Read below for more details.  We also welcome our own staff member’s art show in the Annex Gallery.  I think we sold a couple pieces while the work was still being hung, so come early to support Carla!  Also: NOBS Forums hits the road to see a cool film.  Read on.

Recent Acquisitions

·         Distinguished Homes of Shaker Heights, at last!, back in print for $43

·         A dozen Dorrie the Witch books by Patricia Coombs

·         A lovely Nonesuch Press limited edition of Anatomy of Melancholy

·         4 lovely Jane Austen titles published by the Limited Editions Club

·         A bunch of YA favorites by  Carolyn Haywood

·         the best valentines in town

Stump the Bookseller  Selection of the month

A large illustrated children’s book about a community of bears that all live (alone) in hollowed out trees in a forest.  The tree houses were all decorated differently… one had a “Asian theme,”  one a “country style,” one  a “modern style,” etc. The bears would be dressed to match the style of their houses.  The bears would all go to a swimming hole.  It was read to me in the late 60’s early 70’s.

See More Book Stumpers

Annex Gallery
Carla Fontecchio – Collection Studies
Opening Reception: Thursday, February 2, 6-8pm
~ first Thursdays ~
Reminiscent of 19th century botanical illustration, Collection Studies is a series of works on paper that delicately portrays a selection of common plant specimens gathered throughout the Cleveland area. Reverently depicted on handmade paper, these pen and ink portraits visually convey how incredibly complex the most common natural specimens may be.  Show continues through February 27.

Live Music
Gene's Jazz Hot
Thursday, February 9, 7-9 p.m.
~ second Thursdays ~
Did you hear the news? Gene's Jazz Hot is a quartet again! Reed Simon, jazz violinist, officially joined the group last month, and contributed seamlessly to the sultry cool and toe-tapping old timey tunes. Band regulars rounding out the quartet are bassist and singer Gene Epstein, guitarist and singer Seth Rosen, and clarinetist and singer Bill Kenney.  Free homemade cookies will no doubt be served. Donations for the band gratefully accepted.

Valentine’s Night

An Acoustic Evening with Brian Henke

Tuesday, February 14, 7pm

~ annual event ~

Date night at Loganberry!  Join us on Valentine's Night for wine and chocolate, a quiet evening with fine books, and the virtuoso guitar work of Brian Henke.  What could be more relaxed and romantic?  Grab a bite to eat at one of Larchmere’s great restaurants before or after the show, or bring some nibbles with you.  If you don’t know the music of Brian Henke, follow that link above to his public Facebook page where you can play some samples.  We look forward to seeing you and your sweetie on Valentine’s Night!

N.O.B.S. Forums

“Proceed and Be Bold!” A Film on Amos Kennedy Jr.

Thursday, February 16, 7pm
~ third Thursdays ~
At this month’s forum, Special Collections librarian Ed Vermue conducts a tour of the Letterpress Bindery at Oberlin College, followed by a screening of the film Proceed and Be Bold! At 40 years of age, Amos Paul Kennedy Jr. abandoned the traditional American Dream to follow his own. Unsatisfied with his comfortable, middle-class life, Amos traded in his computer for a printing press and his white collar for a pair of overalls. Armed with life, liberty, peanuts, and a meager yearly income of $7,000, Amos cranked out a new, mutinous declaration of independence.
Please meet at the Letterpress Bindery in the Mudd Library at Oberlin College, 148 West College Street, Oberlin, Ohio.

Classics Club
David Foster Wallace’s Infinite Jest
Thursday, February 23, 7 pm

~ fourth Thursdays ~
The Classics Club, led by Christine Borne, meets monthly to discuss a modern or vintage classic.  About this month's selection: “Somewhere in the not-so-distant future, the screwed-up residents of Ennet House, a Boston halfway house for recovering addicts, and students at the Enfield Tennis Academy search for the master copy of a movie so dangerously entertaining that its viewers die in a state of catatonic bliss. Explores essential questions about what entertainment is, why we need it, and what it says about who we are. -- James Wood, Guardian

This is the fourth and final discussion on Infinite Jest.

World Book Night

Monday, April 23, 2012

~ annual event ~

World Book Night comes to the USA!  Sign up now to be a Book Giver!  You read that right: it’s a book give-away event (April 23), and you can participate.  Loganberry Books will be one of the book pick-up locations, complete with party, and we hope you’ll partake. Visit the World Book Night website for more information and to sign up to be a Book Giver.  With 30 great titles to choose from, you’re sure to find one you already know and love.  You have until February 6th to sign up to be a Book Giver, so don’t delay.  Woot!

Hope to see you soon!

peace,

Harriett

Loganberry Books

13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800

On Twitter: @loganberrybooks   On Facebook: loganberrybooks

Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm; Thursday 'til 8pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/.

Image
image002.jpg
Image