From: Harriett R. Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: September Sales, with Marilyn Monroe
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 16:46:15 -0400
To: LoganberryNews@logan.com <LoganberryNews@logan.com>

Salutations!

It’s a new school season, and with it comes the excitement of new bookshelves, new shoes, book sales, and stretching our enjoyment of late evenings spent outdoors.  Yeah, we’ve got that on the schedule.  Okay, maybe not the shoes….

Larchmere Sidewalk Sale

Saturday, September 1, 10 AM – 5 PM

~ Labor Day weekend ~

Bargain Priced Merchandise!  Join us on Larchmere Boulevard, a mecca of indie merchants with over 40 shops, galleries, eateries and services.  Our bi-annual sidewalk sale features seasonal bargains, outdoor shopping, and food.  At Loganberry Books, our annual August fiction sale morphs into a store-wide 20% off sale on all books, plus additional sidewalk bargains.  We’ll also host an informational table from the folks at Ohioana, a resource for authors and books by and about Ohio authors.

Larchmere First Fridays

                                      Like it HotSome Like It Hot

Friday, September 7, 9 PM

~  May through October ~

Continuing the summer schedule of First Fridays, Larchmere shops will be open until 9PM on the first Friday of the month.  To cap off the evening of shopping, an outdoor movie will be shown right here in our own driveway, next to the mural.  “Some Like it Hot,” starring Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon, will be screened at 9pm, following some classic cartoons, as a fundraiser for our annual Larchmere Festival.  Tickets are $10.  Click for more info.

Recent Acquisitions

·         98 years of Rowfant Yearbooks (1897-1995)

·         6 volumes of The Dolphin (Limited Editions Club magazine 1933-35)

·         New, expanded Cookbook section

·         Expanded urban farming/green living section

·         Knitting/craft books from Workman Publishing

Stump the Bookseller  Selection of the month

The book was about a girl who befriended another girl who I think was a new girl in her class at school. The new girl had very long straight black hair and was teased by the other kids at school who I think called her a witch. One day while at school the new girl was somehow injured and then the girl who had befriended her went to visit her at her home. She found the black-haired girl in bed with a her head bandaged and I think she might have been delirious as well. The black-haired girl had an unusual bedroom in that the family had turned their barn into a bedroom for her and it had a big skylight. I think the black-haired girl lived with her single mother and the single mother's parents. They may have been Native Americans. She had a large custom-made doll house that was very tall. The book was illustrated and I specifically recall and illustration of this girl's bedroom in the barn and the skylight open to the night sky with stars.
See More Book Stumpers

Annex Gallery

Sarah Johnston: Fromage, Baguettes, and Prosecco

Opening Reception:  Thursday, September 6, 6-9pm

~ first Thursdays ~
Sarah has traveled extensively in Northern Italy and France.  Her art is inspired by the light and architecture of these beautiful and romantic destinations.  Each watercolor is a story capturing the color, light, and movement of that moment in time. On display through October 1.

Live Music
Gene's Jazz Hot
Thursday, September 8, 7-9 PM

~ second Thursdays ~
Local jazz combo Gene’s Jazz Hot will perform in the Lit Arts room at Loganberry Books at 7 pm. Bassist and singer Gene Epstein is a popular Cleveland area string bassist and band leader. Clarinetist and singer Bill Kenney is a virtuosic performer with an irrepressible sense of fun and is an eminent historian with several jazz history books currently in print. Jazz violinist Reed Simon is a much-welcomed new addition to the group.  Free cookies will be served. Donations for the band gratefully accepted.

 NOBS Forums

Kent State University Marantz Children's Book Collection and Reinberger Children's Library Center

Saturday, September 15, 1 pm
This event will take place at Kent State University.

Dr. Carolyn Brodie of the Kent State University School of Library and Information Science will conduct a tour of the Marantz Children’s Book Collection and Reinberger Children’s Library Center. Donated to Kent State in 2007 by renowned picture book experts Dr. Kenneth and Sylvia Marantz, the collection includes more than 21,000 volumes.

Shaker Centennial Reads

Shaker Centennial Reads: Home Town by Tracy Kidder

Wednesday, September 19, 7 PM

Join your neighbors in a community-wide book discussion of Home Town in honor of the 100th birthday of Shaker Heights. In Home Town, Pulitzer Prize winner Tracy Kidder chronicles life in the small town of Northampton, Massachusetts. Full of deftly woven character sketches and social commentary, Kidder provides a moving portrait of the trials and joys of everyday Americans. The book is available at Loganberry Books at a 10 percent discount.

Classics Club
Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Thursday, September 20, 7 pm
~ fourth Thursdays ~
The anonymous narrator of Notes from Underground (1864; also published as Notes from the Underground or Letters from the Underworld) tells of his refusal to become a worker in the "ant-hill" of society and of his gradual withdrawal to an underground existence. This short novel, along with The Double, mark a turning point for Dostoyevsky, and are among his most personally revealing works.

Don’t you love autumn?

Keep reading,

Harriett

Loganberry Books

13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800

Description: Description: Description: cid:image035.png@01CD6FD1.27CF2FB0  Description: Description: Description: cid:image036.png@01CD6FD1.27CF2FB0  @loganberrybooks

Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm; Thursday 'til 8pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/.

Image
image001.png
Image