From: Harriett R. Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: Caldecott Valentine's love
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 11:08:53 -0500
To: LoganberryNews@logan.com <LoganberryNews@logan.com>

Salutations!

It’s Caldecott time!  Yes, we are hosting our second annual ALA Awards live webcast, and we can all cast our ballots for what authors and illustrators will win the Caldecott, Newbery, Printz, Coretta Scott King, Theodor Geisel, Bela Dupre, Schneider, and others  – who do you think will win?  Come to our party on Monday and find out (details below).

World Book Night
World Book NightSign Up to be a Book Giver
deadline January 25
~ annual event ~
World Book Night is April 23rd. Sign-up to become a Book Giver now! Givers are an important aspect of World Book Night as they are the ones who personally share their love of reading with the community. Each Giver will receive 20 copies of one of the 30 sponsored books (see list here).  Givers are charged with the duty of sharing the love by giving free books to people who are not avid readers or who do not have access to books.  Check out World Book Night’s website and make the pledge. The deadline to sign-up to be a Giver is Januray 25th.  Loganberry Books is one of the pick-up locations and will be holding a reception for Givers on the evening of April 15th, which will include special gifts for the Givers as well. We hope you can participate!

ALA Youth Media Awards
Caldecotts Live Webcast

Monday, January 28, 11am

~ annual special event ~

Join us for a live webcast of the annual ALA Youth Media Awards, including the Andrew Carnegie Medal, Laura Ingalls Wilder Award, Coretta Scott King Award, Pura Belpre Award, Theodor Seuss Geisel Award, Michael L. Printz Award, and of course the John Newbery Medal and the Randolph Caldecott Medal.  This year, the event will be in Seattle WA, with Kent State University’s own Carolyn Brodie leading the ceremony as President of ALSC.  We’ll follow along, live, and with our own ballots, as the Randolph Caldecott Medal marks its historic 75th anniversary.

Annex Gallery
Alanda Sales: Aces of the Heart

Thursday, February 7, 6-8pm

~ first Thursdays ~

Alanda Sales is a community leader who uses her passion for art and education to enrich  the lives of youth in Greater Cleveland and the surrounding areas.  Overall, her life’s mission is to make the world a better place by taking advantage of going green opportunities and being a productive citizen through volunteerism and dedicating herself  to participate in, and  create positive community activities. Her artwork usually consists of photography, yet this February's show will feature different mediums.

Sisters in Crime
sisters in crimeDead of Winter
Saturday, February 9, 1-4 PM

~ special event ~
Join us for a writers’ conversation on what editors want, the enduring appeal of the mystery, and the unpaved road to publication.  Some of the participating authors include Sam Thomas, Jane Turzillo, Amanda Flower, Casey Daniels and Kylie Logan.  For mystery writers and enthusiasts, and open to the public.

Valentine’s Night Double Bill!
Gene's Jazz HotBrian Henke,  6:00-7:30 pm

Gene's Jazz Hot,  7:45-9:15 pm
Thursday, February 14

~ annual event ~

Date night at Loganberry!  Join us on Valentine's Night for a quiet evening in the special ambiance of your favorite bookstore, with the lights dimmed low.  Brian Henke will start off the evening with his virtuoso solo acoustic guitar.  What could be more relaxed and romantic?  Then you can take out your dancing shoes for Gene’s Jazz Hot, with Kevin Richards on guitar, Bill Kenney on clarinet, Reed Simon on violin, and Gene Epstein on bass.  Bring your own wine, chocolate provided.  Donations for the bands gratefully accepted.

NOBS Forums

Bonné de Blas:  Artists' Books

Thursday, February 21, 7 pm

~ third Thursdays ~

Book artist Bonné de Blas is a self-taught artist and the Artists’ Books editor for Kattywompus Press. The founder and former director of Arts Books Cleveland, her artists’ books are in the Special Collections of the Cleveland Public Library and galleries in Paris and Guadalajara, and has had work exhibited throughout the Americas, Europe, and Australia.  Her books play with texture, shape, time, and history. A transplant from Phoenix, Arizona, where she earned an undergraduate degree in Art History, she received her JD from Case Western Reserve University School of Law despite spending most of her time in the galleries at the Cleveland Museum of Art once discovering it was just across the street from the law school. Being the daughter, granddaughter, and sister to architects is apparent in her work, as well as having fallen in love the physical book before learning how to read its contents by herself.

Classics Club
Virginia Woolf:  Mrs. Dalloway
Thursday, February 28, 7 pm
~ fourth Thursdays ~

Heralded as Virginia Woolf's greatest novel, Mrs. Dalloway is a vivid portrait of a single day in a woman's life. When we meet her, Mrs. Clarissa Dalloway is preoccupied with the last-minute details of party preparation while in her mind she is something much more than a perfect society hostess. As she readies her house, she is flooded with remembrances of faraway times. And, met with the realities of the present, Clarissa reexamines the choices that brought her there, hesitantly looking ahead to the unfamiliar work of growing old.

Keep reading,

Harriett

Loganberry Books

13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800

Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image035.png@01CD6FD1.27CF2FB0  Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image036.png@01CD6FD1.27CF2FB0  @loganberrybooks

Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm; Thursday 'til 8pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/.

Image
image001.jpg
Image