From: Harriett R. Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: Loganberry Books: a sale, and a challenge
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 12:48:34 -0400
To: LoganberryNews@logan.com <LoganberryNews@logan.com>

Salutations!

How did it get to be August already?  Well, Otis, you better go climb that ladder and hang the sale banner, it’s time for a sale!  All month, we’ll be offering 20% off regular fiction (basically any fiction from the LitArts room) and (new this year), biographies.  Coinciding with that sale, we have authors and biographies in the front window in our annual Guess the Author challenge – 24 books this year, with prizes for our top contestants.  Come give it a try!  We hope to see you for our Friday night music series too, we have some great musicians on the line-up.  Ah, the sweet sounds of summer…

Annex Gallery
Scott Mars: Reverie
Opening Reception: Thursday, August 1, 6-8pm

~ first Thursdays ~
We are pleased to welcome Scott Mars, a poet and customer, to the Annex Gallery this month.  Scott says:  I am a local Cleveland Heights artist. I am a mixed media expressionist. I find found objects, rust, or anything that looks interesting. My city-scapes are expressions for what times are like being deaf.
Annex Gallery show continues through August 31.

First Fridays
Sommerfugl
Friday, August 2, 7:00-8:30pm
~ Friday music series ~
Pronounced *summer-fool*,"Sommerfugl" is Danish for butterfly. And as beautiful as a free butterfly on a summer's day, here is an eclectic mix of love songs, torch songs, duets, originals and other surprises. Two veterans of the local scene and two of the finest vocalists and instrumentalists around coming together in a synergistic rainbow of sound. Rich, delicate, precise harmonies; a joyous dance of guitar and violin; a captivating journey through many emotions and moods. Sincerely. Prepare to be enchanted.  Check out a previewDonations for the band gratefully accepted.

Live Music
Gene's Jazz Hot
Friday, August 9, 7-8:30pm
~ second Fridays ~
Special guest this month is Buzz Cronquist, who will be replacing Bill Kenney.  The rest of the band remains constant:  Reed Simon on violin, Kevin Richards on guitar, and Gene Epstein on upright bass.  You might want to ask Gene about her new grandson.  Or her cookie recipe.  Donations for the band gratefully accepted.

NOBS Forums

Karl Ziellenbach:  Making it Personal
Thursday, August 15, 7pm
~ third Thursdays ~

One of the greatest finds for booklovers and collectors is finding a book that has been signed by the author. Karl Ziellenbach of Rocketship Books will explain the difference between an autograph and an inscription and for which there is a preference. Come learn what autographs are valuable versus which are interesting to collectors and the challenges of finding books with autographs and inscriptions.  What if the inscription is too personal?

Live Music

Charlie Mosbrook

Friday, August 16 , 7:00-8:30pm

~ Friday music series ~

Voted Cleveland Scene Magazine's Best Singer-Songwriter in 2011, Charlie Mosbrook is often compared to Cat Stevens, John Gorka, and Greg Brown for his dynamic baritone voice, understated guitar technique, and inspired lyrics. With 25 years as a performer and composer, Charlie presents his music with a relaxed confident simplicity with a mix of sincerity, humor and passion.  Check out a previewDonations for the band gratefully accepted.

Classics Club
J.D. Salinger: Franny and Zooey
Thursday, August 22, 2013, 7pm

~ fourth Thursdays ~
Volume containing two interrelated stories by J.D. Salinger, published in book form in 1961. The stories, originally published in The New Yorker magazine, concern Franny and Zooey Glass, two members of the family that was the subject of most of Salinger's short fiction. Franny is an intellectually precocious late adolescent who tries to attain spiritual purification by obsessively reiterating the "Jesus prayer" as an antidote to the perceived superficiality and corruptness of life. She subsequently suffers a nervous breakdown. In the second story, her next older brother, Zooey, attempts to heal Franny by pointing out that her constant repetition of the "Jesus prayer" is as self-involved and egotistical as the egotism against which she rails.

Open Mic
Broadsides & Ephemera
Friday, August 23, 7:00-8:30pm

~ fourth Fridays ~
Moderated by Small Victories Press, Broadsides & Ephemera is a spoken word showcase of local writers, artists, and performers.  A perfect environment for shaping, sharing, and improving your poetry, prose, song, theatre and performance art.  Come one, come all!

Live Music

oldboy

Friday, August 30, 7:00-8:30pm

~ Friday music series ~

oldboy is a rock-folk band whose music runs the gamut from wistful, to epic, to downright heavy rock and roll. With a few ep's available, a soon-to-be released full length and most Cleveland venues under their belts, this epitome of a mid-western band delivers each audience the best music performance at every show.  Check out a previewDonations for the band gratefully accepted.

Looking Ahead

Altered Octavos

Opening Reception: Thursday, October 3, 6-8pm

~ a call to Artists ~

Loganberry Books is holding an altered book contest called Altered Octavos.  The contest, and coinciding Annex Gallery exhibition, is in celebration of Octavofest in October.  The contest is open to all artists, with a limit of one entry per person.  Artwork must be identified by artist, title, and price (all entries must be available for sale with a 20% commission to Loganberry Books).  Awards: Best of Show by a panel of adjudicated judges ($500), People’s Choice Award decided by the general audience (prize TBA), and several Honorable Mentions (Loganberry Books gift certificates).  Voting will take place throughout the month, with Awards announced during the closing of the show on Thursday, October 31st.  RFP

Happy reading,

Harriett

Loganberry Books

13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800

Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image035.png@01CD6FD1.27CF2FB0  Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image036.png@01CD6FD1.27CF2FB0  @loganberrybooks

Summer Hours:  Monday--Wednesday 10am--6pm; Thursday--Friday 10am--8:30pm; Saturday 9am--6pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/.

Image
image006.jpg
Image