From: Harriett R. Logan <LoganberryNews@logan.com>
Subject: Loganberry Books: November calendar
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2014 13:18:05 -0400
To: LoganberryNews@logan.com <LoganberryNews@logan.com>

Salutations!

Happy November!  Welcome to our busy time of the year, as we start the month off with the Cleveland Antiquarian Book Show, then set up for the wonders of Otis¡¯ Old Curiosity Shop, close the month with the Larchmere Holiday Stroll and then roll into our Twentieth Anniversary celebration.  Great things are afoot!

Stump the Bookseller

191H: alligator or crocodile lady who is dressed in women¡¯s clothes

~ our book sleuthing forum ~

I¡¯m looking for a children¡¯s fiction book that my father used to read to me in the 1980¡äs. It¡¯s about an alligator or crocodile lady who is dressed in women¡¯s clothes. She has three parrots/birds and they are always telling her what to do. They say, ¡°Cook spaghetti! Make popcorn!¡± At the end of the book, her house overflows with popcorn. It would mean the world to my father and I to be able to find this book and read it together again! Thank you!  Visit the Forum.

Book Fair

NOBS Antiquarian Book & Paper Show

Sunday, November 2, 2014, 10:00AM¡ª5:00PM

~ annual event ~

The fourth consecutive N.O.B.S. Cleveland Antiquarian Book and Paper Show at the Cleveland Skating Club will be held on Sunday, November 2nd, 2014 from 10am to 5pm. This beautiful venue features ample free parking, easy access, and several on-site restaurant choices. A score of dealers featuring old, rare and out-of-print books in all subject areas, as well as maps, posters, and ephemera will display and sell their vintage collectibles and curios. A range of prices and offerings will meet the need of both beginning and advanced collectors.  The Cleveland Skating Club is located at 2500 Kemper Road near Shaker Square and the Larchmere Antiques District. General Admission to the Fair is $5, Student Admission is $3, and Admission is FREE to NOBS members.

Larchmere

UnBlock the Street Party

Thursday, November 6, 2014, 3:00PM¡ª7:00PM

~ end of construction celebration ~

After a summer full of construction, it is definitely time to celebrate. Join the merchants, residents, artists, Perk Construction, ODOT, Shaker Heights Mayor Earl Leiken and Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson for an afternoon of streetscape celebration. This $4MM project includes a newly paved asphalt road, refurbished storm sewer basins, curbs and sidewalks, permeable paver and logo sidewalk bricks, new honey locust trees, benches, trash cans, and colorful chair-back-styled bike racks designed by Tom Hubbard. The street is looking good! We¡¯ll have music, nibbles, raffles, and community camaraderie.  Come celebrate with us!

¡¤         Ribbon Cutting and formal ceremony (Larchmere and East 127th Street),  4:00PM

¡¤         Kids entertainment and free hot hogs at Shaker Quality Auto Body (12916 Larchmere),  3:00PM¡ª7:00PM

¡¤         Face Painting, DJ line dancing and prizes, Big Al's Pulled Pork Sandwiches  (12635 Larchmere), 3:00PM-6:00PM

¡¤         After-Party Celebration at Felice Urban Caf¨¦ (12502 Larchmere),  7:00PM¡ªclose

Live Music

Folknet Open Mic

Thursday, November 6, 2014, 7:00PM¡ª8:30PM

~ first Thursdays ~

Music time!  Join Mallory SanMarco of Folknet, our fearless emcee of this all-acoustic open mic. 15 minute slots are available for interested musicians, but you don't have to play to enjoy the tunes! Come hear what's going on in the neighborhood, and to relax a bit while sampling our homegrown talent. All are welcome.

Book Signing

Vince McKee: The Cleveland Cavaliers

Saturday, November 8, 2014, 1:00PM¡ª3:00PM

~ special event ~

Take a courtside seat with author Vince McKee as he dishes out the complete history of the Cleveland Cavaliers, from the founding of the franchise in 1970 to the triumphant return of LeBron James in 2014. Relive every major moment in team history. Highlights include draft picks turned all-stars, such as LeBron James and Brad Daugherty; coaching changes; heated rivalries; player departures; and dubious distinctions like ¡°the Shot¡± and ¡°the Stepien Rule.¡± Get insight and analysis of every epic run from legendary sportscaster Joe Tait; players Austin Carr, Craig Ehlo and Larry Nance; and others as they reveal the untold true stories behind every major event in Cavs history.

Open Mic

Broadsides and Ephemera

Thursday, November 13, 2014, 7:00PM¡ª8:30PM

~ second Thursdays ~

We had 35 people attend Broadsides & Ephemera last month, our spoken word showcase by and for local writers. It comes as no surprise that the guards at the Cleveland Museum of Art are great artists, but who knew they were poets?  Join them, and a host of other local poets, for our monthly open mic.  A perfect environment for shaping, sharing, and improving your poetry, prose, song, playwriting and performance art. Come one, come all!

NOBS Forums

Marian Morton: Be It Ever So Humble: Writing About Home

Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 7:00PM¡ª8:30PM

~ third Wednesdays ~

Author, historian, and longtime Cleveland area resident Marian J. Morton has crafted engaging local histories that both educate and entertain. Combining informative narrative with striking vintage photographs, she leads readers on a fascinating journey into the distant and not-so-distant past. She shares the unique story of this city¡¯s trials and triumphs, challenges and champions, and the everyday lives of the men and women who made the Cleveland area home. This month, Marian J. Morton will talk about the pleasures and pitfalls of writing about nearby people and places.

Classics Club

Thrity Umrigar: The Story Hour

Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 7:00PM¡ª8:30PM

~ fourth third Wednesdays ~

An experienced psychologist, Maggie carefully maintains emotional distance from her patients. But when she meets a young Indian woman who tried to kill herself, her professional detachment disintegrates. Cut off from her family in India, Lakshmi is desperately lonely and trapped in a loveless marriage to a domineering man who limits her world to their small restaurant and grocery store. Moved by her plight, Maggie treats Lakshmi in her home office for free, quickly realizing that the despondent woman doesn¡¯t need a shrink; she needs a friend. Determined to empower Lakshmi as a woman who feels valued in her own right, Maggie abandons protocol, and soon doctor and patient have become close friends. But while their relationship is deeply affectionate, it is also warped by conflicting expectations. When Maggie and Lakshmi open up and share long-buried secrets, the revelations will jeopardize their close bond, shake their faith in each other, and force them to confront painful choices. Author Thrity Umrigar will be joining the group for this discussion.

Live Music

Gene's Jazz Hot

Thursday, November 20, 2014, 7:00PM¡ª8:30PM

~ fourth third Thursdays ~

Our favorite house band kicks up some lively tunes, just a week before Thanksgiving (we¡¯ll be closed on Thanksgiving day). These musicians play with other bands and in other venues in town, we know, but we still think they sound best surrounded by books. Gene Epstein on bass, Bill Kenny on clarinet, and Kevin Richards on guitar. Reed Simon, violin, is out this round, but there may be a vocalist to add to the mix. We dare you not to tap your toes. Donations for the band appreciated.

Holiday Pop-Up Shop

Otis' Old Curiosity Shop

Thursday, November 20 thru December 26, 2014

~ annual extravaganza ~

Our holiday pop-up shop opens just before Thanksgiving and continues until after Christmas. We¡¯ll have pretty new books, puzzles and games, bargain books, local artist pieces, humorous tchotchkes, baby and grown-up toys, stocking stuffers, fair trade crafts, and lots of book-related gifts. Bring your family for the festivities!

Larchmere

40th Annual Holiday Stroll

Friday & Saturday, November 28 & 29, 10:00AM¡ª5:00PM

~ annual event ~

Has it really been 40 years?  By one calculation, it¡¯s already 41, who can keep count?  Just know that this decades-old tradition is alive and well and looking better than ever on our renovated Larchmere Boulevard.  Merchants are already getting ready for this holiday shopping and family strolling event, with their best gift-giving ideas, food, music and merriment.  Horse & Buggy rides are back too, 1:00¡ª4:00PM, free, on both days.  Many shops are also open on Sunday, including Loganberry Books.  We¡¯ll have live music and booksignings throughout the weekend here at Loganberry, as this event coincides with the national celebration of Indies First. Get your local on!

Save the Date

Loganberry¡¯s 20th Anniversary Party

Saturday, December 6, 2014, 10:00AM¡ª10:00PM

~ once a decade celebration ~

Twenty years is a big deal, and we¡¯re celebrating in high style.  We¡¯ll have live music, book presentations, and book signings all day long, plus food and drink in the evening.  Some of the authors already confirmed include Michael Ruhlman, Mary Doria Russell, Laura & Barney Taxel, Cindy Williams Chima, Tricia Springstubb, and more.  Stay tuned for a more detailed announcements of the festivities, but mark your calendar now! Yea!

Thanks, and happy reading,

Harriett

Loganberry Books

13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800

www.LoganberryBooks.com  w  books@loganberrybooks.com

Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image035.png@01CD6FD1.27CF2FB0 cid:image043.png@01CFC2DA.905E6C40 Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image036.png@01CD6FD1.27CF2FB0  @loganberrybooks

Hours
Mon. Tue. Fri. Sat.  10am-6pm  |  Wed. Thu. 10am-8:30pm  |  Sun. 12-4pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/.

Image
image004.jpg
Image