From: Harriett R. Logan <LoganberryNews@logan.com>
Subject: Loganberry Books: Caldecott Valentines
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 18:20:28 -0500
To: loganberrynews@logan.com <loganberrynews@logan.com>

Salutations,

Who will win the Caldecott and Newbery Awards this year?  Come to our live broadcast on February 2nd to find out!  And then join us for a special quiet evening of Valentine lore with guitarist Brian Henke on February 14th.  These are annual special events for us, so take note for next year, too, and make it a tradition! Oh, and there’s a sale on Art books – 20% off all regular books in our Art section during the month of February, oo la la.

Book Signing

Vince McKee: The Cleveland Cavaliers

Saturday, January 31, 2014, 1:00PM—3:00PM

~ special event, rescheduled ~

Take a courtside seat with author Vince McKee as he dishes out the complete history of the Cleveland Cavaliers, from the founding of the franchise in 1970 to the triumphant return of LeBron James in 2014. Relive every major moment in team history. Highlights include draft picks turned all-stars, such as LeBron James and Brad Daugherty; coaching changes; heated rivalries; player departures; and dubious distinctions like “the Shot” and “the Stepien Rule.” Get insight and analysis of every epic run from legendary sportscaster Joe Tait; players Austin Carr, Craig Ehlo and Larry Nance; and others as they reveal the untold true stories behind every major event in Cavs history.

Caldecotts & More

ALA Youth Media Awards

Monday, February 2, 2015, 9:00AM

~ annual event ~

Join us for a live webcast of the annual ALA Youth Media Awards, including the Andrew Carnegie Medal, Laura Ingalls Wilder Award, Coretta Scott King Award, Pura Belpre Award, Theodor Seuss Geisel Award, Michael L. Printz Award, and of course the John Newbery Medal and the Randolph Caldecott Medal. This year, the event will be in Chicago IL. We’ll follow along, live, and with our own ballots, and a prize for whomever picks the most correct winners!

Annex Gallery

Josie Platt: Iconic Cleveland

Wednesday, February 4, 2015, 7:00PM

~ 1st Wednesdays ~

Josie Platt, of Gritty Image Photography, has lived most of her life in Cleveland, Ohio. Having had short stints in Cincinnati and St. Louis, she has come to truly appreciate and love the “rust belt chic” of her hometown. A graduate of Case Western Reserve University and a former therapist, Ms. Platt now uses her camera to “listen” to and record the lives and community around her. She believes that photography is at its best when used as a social and anthropological medium. Iconic Cleveland is a tribute to this hard-working, resilient town. It showcases Cleveland’s industrial might, cultural strength, and quirky, lovable “self”. The images may not always be pretty-but they are real. Perhaps one might call them Imago Veritas-each image possessing its own unique bouquet.

Open Mic

Folknet Night

Thursday, February 5, 2015, 7:00PM

~ first Thursdays ~

Mallory SanMarco of Folknet will be the emcee of this all-acoustic open mic. 15 minute slots are available for interested musicians, but you don't have to play to enjoy the tunes! Come hear what's going on in the neighborhood, and to relax a bit while sampling our homegrown talent. All are welcome.

Book Signing

Dave Cockley: Those Rockin' Cleveland Kids!

Saturday, February 7, 2015, 11:30AM

~ special event ~

Did you ever get a crazy notion to jump out of bed some morning and run around Cleveland and see all the totally cool things going on in our great city? Well, five rockin' kids and their teddy bear Benjamin did just that one lovely, summer day. They saw things like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with all their favorite rockers. Then they were off to the Great Lakes Science Center where you can get right up next to the lunar module that went to the Moon or even try on a space suit. How about taking a ride on the Goodtime III ship down the Cuyahoga River and into Lake Erie? Maybe you’d like to create art in the Art Museum’s cool new Gallery One for kids or check out a huge dinosaur that lived millions and millions of years ago around the corner at the Museum of Natural History. Or how about a wonderful day at the Zoo with the lions and tigers and bears, oh my. But if you can’t do all that, open this book and five cute kids will show you all their favorite places!

Special Note on our Hours

Wednesday, February 11, 2015, 10:00AM-6:00PM

We’re usually open late on Wednesdays and Thursdays, but we’ll be closed on this particular evening.  The boss is off gettin’ educated with 500 other booksellers at the annual Winter Institute, and while we’ll be open most of our usual hours, on Wednesday, February 11 we will close at 6:00PM.  We’ll be open late on the Friday of this week, though, see below.  Thanks.

Open Mic

Broadsides and Ephemera

Thursday, February 12, 2015, 7:00PM

~ second Thursdays ~

Broadsides & Ephemera is a spoken word showcase by and for local writers. A perfect environment for shaping, sharing, and improving your poetry, prose, song, playwriting and performance art. Come one, come all!

Valentine’s Night

featuring Brian Henke, guitarist

Saturday, February 14, 2015, 7:00PM

~  annual even ~

Date night at Loganberry! Join us on Valentine's Night for a quiet evening in the special ambiance of your favorite bookstore, with the lights dimmed low. Brian Henke will put you in a relaxed mood with his virtuoso solo acoustic guitar. Bring your own wine, chocolate provided. Let's see, that's books, live guitar, and chocolate. What could be more romantic?  Donations for the musician gratefully accepted.

N.O.B.S. Forums

Mark Stillman, M.D.: The Writings of George Crile, Sr. & Harvey Cushing

Wednesday, February 18, 2015, 7:00PM

~ third Wednesdays ~

The hundredth anniversary of the opening of the First World War finds us with no living participants who witnessed the “incomprehensible experience of war.”  The Great War set the stage for virtually all the wars that followed in the 20th and 21st centuries.  It also left  a generation of survivors who were in some way damaged, if not physically, then psychologically.  Two famous Clevelanders volunteered to participate for the Allied cause, George Crile Sr. and Harvey Cushing, eminent surgeons who went on to establish a new world order in the field of Medicine. Both witnessed two ailments we now commonly accept, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and Complex Region Pain Syndrome. This talk reviews their memoirs of the Great War and how these writings reflect their individual humanity.

Classics Club

C.S. Lewis: The Screwtape Letters

Wednesday, February 25, 2015, 7:00PM

~ fourth Wednesdays ~

A masterpiece of satire, this classic has entertained and enlightened readers the world over with its sly and ironic portrayal of human life from the vantage point of Screwtape, a senior tempter in the service of "Our Father Below." At once wildly comic, deadly serious, and strikingly original, C. S. Lewis gives us the correspondence of the worldly-wise old devil to his nephew Wormwood, a novice demon in charge of securing the damnation of an ordinary young man. The Screwtape Letters is the most engaging and humorous account of temptation—and triumph over it—ever written. Discussion led by Susan Petrone.  Next book pick: Sherman Alexie’s The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian.

Our Twentieth Anniversary year continues.  Sorry for the late e-newsletter, can we claim exhaustion?  Hope to see you soon, and do tell us about the good books on your reading horizons.

Thanks, and happy reading,

Harriett

Loganberry Books

13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800

www.LoganberryBooks.com  w  books@loganberrybooks.com

Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image035.png@01CD6FD1.27CF2FB0 cid:image043.png@01CFC2DA.905E6C40 Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image036.png@01CD6FD1.27CF2FB0  @loganberrybooks

Hours
Mon. Tue. Fri. Sat.  10am-6pm  |  Wed. Thu. 10am-8:30pm  |  Sun. 12-4pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/.

Image
image001.jpg
Image