From: Harriett R. Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: Autumnal Loganberry Greetings
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 11:16:19 -0400
To: <LoganberryNews@logan.com>
Salutations!

I love autumn.  It's the excitement you can smell in the air, the back-to-school specials, the change of color palette to earth tones.  Some afternoons are perfect for sitting outside with a good book, some nights are ripe for curling up in a big chair with a cup of tea and, of course, a book.  Sometimes both are possible in the same day!  Read on, exciting book events are coming.

NOBS Chagrin Valley Antiquarian Book Fair
Chagrin Valley Book FairSaturday, October 8th, 10am-6pm
It's been awhile since Cleveland has had its own book fair (although the NOBS Akron Fair continues every Easter weekend).  Now we have a new location, new dealers, and lots of old books to get excited about.  Join us for a special event with 80+ dealers showing off their best gems and out-of-print specialties.  It's at the Family Life Center, 16349 Chillicothe Road in Bainbridge.
*sponsored by NOBS, the Northern Ohio Bibliophilic Society

Exciting recent acquisitions
The Witch of Hissing Hill
  • Halloween books, like The Witch of Hissing Hill at left
  • a fabulous first edition of A Streetcar Named Desire
  • beautiful hand silk-screened and letterpress Halloween cards
  • The Snow Baby, 1901, by Josephine D. Peary
  • lots of classic and popular theatre scripts from Pirandello to Neil Simon
  • the elusive kids favorite Caroline at the Ranch by Pierre Probst
  • The Nancy Drew Cookbook and other children's cookbooks
  • See Again, Say Again by printmaker Antonio Frasconi in four languages
  • Georgia O'Keefe's One Hundred Flowers and In the West
  • a gigantic illustrated tome of Donatello, Italian renaissance sculptor
Harvest Celebration
World Vegetarian DaySaturday, October 1st
In honor of World Vegetarian Day this year, Loganberry is offering 20% off all cookbooks!  We have great vegetarian cookbooks, some fascinating books on food history and wine, and regional and international cooking. There's always something new to whet your appetite and culinary imagination.
Larchmere Boulevard is also hosting a Harvest Celebration with merchant specials, car and bike washes, and a scavenger hunt (answers to trivia questions gathered on the street can win you prizes!).  Come join the fun.

Book Signing
Emily NumbersEmily Numbers
Lost and Found....Safe and Sound

Saturday, October 22, 1-3pm
Emily Numbers is a 13 year-old middle school student in Macedonia who wrote this rhyming picture book about a young child lost in a grocery store.  Nicki Omori drew the illustrations, and together they have created a pefect picture book with both real and mundane observations of the world as seen through a child's eyes.  Come meet the young author and ask her about her lifelong writing.

Stump the Bookseller  Selection of the month
Stump the BooksellerS394: Stuff and Nonsense
a friend of mine (honest!) can't remember most of the details to find a children's book she would like to see again.  it involves a brother and sister who find a key that eventually leads them into a fairy kingdom. the prime minister of the kingdom is upset the children have come in.  the boy's customary refrain is "stuff and nonsense".  apparently there's a rule that once you have found your way in you have the right to be there.  the children get called home for supper, but they still have the key and can always go back.  my friend, of course, does not remember the title nor the author.

Girlfriends Literary Society
Jeanette WintersonLighthousekeeping  by Jeanette Winterson
Thursday, October 20th @ 7pm (note date change)
"My mother called me Silver. I was born part precious metal part pirate." Orphaned and anchorless, Silver is taken in by blind Mr. Pew, the mysterious and miraculously old keeper of the Cape Wrath lighthouse. Pew tells Silver ancient tales of longing and rootlessness, of journeys that move through place and time, of passion and betrayal. His stories center on Babel Dark, a local nineteenth-century clergyman who lived two lives: a public one mired in darkness and a private one bathed in a beacon of light. Pew's stories are, for Silver, a map through her own particular darkness, into her own story and, finally, into love.  With Lighthousekeeping, Winterson begins a new cycle and a return to the lyrical intimacy of her earliest work. One of the most original and extraordinary writers of her generation, Winterson has created a modern fable about the transformative power of storytelling.

LitArts Update
LitArts, ready for eventAh yes, we did finally finish the floor project.  It looks awesome.
Like a good theatre set, most people don't really notice it (how forgiving our memories are!).  Stop by sometime and browse through our enormous collection of fiction, humor, genre fiction, and performing arts.  We'll be putting this floor to hard use in the months to follow, and look forward to having a groovy special events room.
Special thanks to Jenny!

Annex Gallery
Friday FiguresFriday Drawing Club
Friday Figures

Opening Reception: Saturday, October 1st, 4-7pm

This group of local artists has been meeting for decades on Friday nights to draw.  The current members include Amie Albert, Laura D'Alessandro, Gene Epstein, Edith Goldstein, David Kaplan, Mario Kujawski, Zenni Quante, Anita Rogoff, Catherinlu Russell, and Jean Sommer.  Come meet the artists and see their latest portraits.

Looking Ahead

Local Authors Book FairLoganberry Books will host a Local Author Book Fair on Thursday, November 17th, 5-8pm. It's in conjunction with the Poets' and Writers' League  Word Crafters Festival, a week long literary celebration taking place all over Northeast Ohio November 12-20.  Local authors who want to participate should contact Harriett, and the rest of us can look forward to meeting the local literati of all genres.

We'll also officially celebrate Loganberry's tenth anniversary (along with Hedda's tenth birthday) on Saturday, November 19th.  It's a party; put it in the book.

Hedda's birthday

I hope to see you browsing at Loganberry soon!

peace,
Harriett

Loganberry Books
13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800
Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/

Image
Image