From: Harriett R. Logan <LoganberryNews@logan.com>
Subject: A Window Opens at Loganberry Books
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 16:22:46 -0400
To: LoganberryNews@logan.com <LoganberryNews@logan.com>

Salutations!

Summer comes to a close, but not before our bi-annual Sidewalk Sale!  Join us for sales inside and outside the store, and our last weekend for the Guess Who window contest ($50 grand prize, contest ends on Saturday, September 5).  Then we’ll celebrate this back-to-school season with 20% off children’s and middle grade books (skylight room only) for the rest of September.  We haven’t done that in a while.

Annex Gallery

Barbara Huff: Quilts
Opening Reception: Wednesday, September 2, 2015, 6:00—8:00PM
~ first Wednesdays ~
Barbara's one-of-a-kind creations combine traditional quilting techniques such as piecing and applique with surface design such as dyeing, painting and stamping with her own hand-carved blocks. She recently returned to Cleveland after having lived away for many years. Part of that time she spent traveling and began collecting textiles from different parts of the world, which she sometimes incorporates into her pieces. Barbara's focus is on using beautiful materials in unique ways and she hopes that you will take as much pleasure in viewing them as she has in making them. Barbara has studied at the Smithsonian lnstitution, the Art League and Praxis Fiber Workshop. Barbara is a member of the StudioArt Quilt Association and the Surface Design Association.

Open Mic

Folknet Acoustic Night
Thursday, September 3, 2015, 7:00—8:30PM
~ first Thursdays ~
Mallory SanMarco of Folknet will be the emcee of this all-acoustic open mic. 15 minute slots are available for interested musicians, but you don't have to play to enjoy the tunes! Never know, there may be bagpipes, or there may be fiddle.  There will certainly be guitar.  Come hear what's going on in the neighborhood, and to relax a bit while sampling our homegrown talent. All are welcome.

Larchmere

Sidewalk Sale
Saturday, September 5, 2015, 10:00AM—6:00PM
~ bi-annual sale ~
Discover Larchmere Boulevard, an indie merchants mecca with over 40 shops, galleries, eateries and services featuring art, antiques, books, china, gifts, jewelry, oriental rugs, wearable art, beauty salons and more. Join us for our bi-annual sidewalk sales, with seasonal bargains, outdoor shopping, extra street vendors and food trucks. Loganberry Books will have some extra-special bargains out on the sidewalk, as well as 20% off all books inside the store. What's not to love?

Book Signing

Les Roberts: The Ashtabula Hat Trick
Saturday, September 5, 2015, 1:00—3:00PM
~ Sidewalk Sale special guest ~
Private investigator Milan Jacovich (pronounced MY-lan YOCK-ovitch) tags along when his main squeeze, Cleveland homicide detective Tobe Blaine, is dispatched to rural Ashtabula County to handle a double murder case. Word travels fast in the small town, and the mixed-race couple receives a cold welcome.
Number 18 in the Milan Jacovich mystery series by the ever-popular Les Roberts promises to be riveting and timely. Join us during our bi-annual Sidewalk Sale for an opportunity to chat with Roberts, get some books signed, and enjoy the sales along the boulevard.

Local Voices

Erica Gamble: My Brother Has Sickle Cell
Sunday, September 6, 2015, 1:00—3:00PM
~ Sunday Signings ~
“My brother has sickle cell. After learning what sickle cell is I now know more about my brother.” Alvin is special and he has a special love for animals, especially Diamond. When Alvin and Diamond are together it helps to ease his pain. Diamond makes Alvin feel better- she licks his face, plays catch with him, lays on his leg when he is in pain and stays close to him when he is sad. Only Alvin can get Diamond to sit, run or roll over.  Dr. Erica Gamble collaborated with her son on this book, based on her now 22 year old son, who has sickle cell anemia.

Open Mic

Broadsides and Ephemera
Thursday, September 10, 2015, 7:00—8:30PM
~ second Thursdays ~
Cleveland is alive with poets!  Broadsides & Ephemera is a spoken word showcase by and for local writers. A perfect environment for shaping, sharing, and improving your poetry, prose, song, playwriting and performance art. Come one, come all!

Local Voices

Cinda Coldwell: Faking Corporate
Sunday, September 13, 2015, 1:00—3:00PM
~ Sunday Signings ~
Are you, or is someone you know "faking corporate?" Meet Jessie, Lizzy, Alex and their collection of colorful colleagues and friends who are all faking corporate in this light-hearted novel. See how their stories weave together as they experience secret conspiracies, job insecurities, co-worker romances gone right and wrong, and most importantly, the loyal friendships that are made along the way.

NOBS Forums

Michael Zubal: Books Uncovered: Finding money in your old books
Wednesday, September 16, 2015, 7:00—8:30PM
~ third Wednesdays ~
Michael Zubal has spent his entire life in the scholarly and antiquarian book business. From an early age he has traveled the country meeting with librarians, researchers, collectors and fellow booksellers. His specialties include History of Science, Literature, Anthropology and Archaeology. Zubal Books is included in the Cleveland episode of Anthony Bourdain’s “No Reservations” and also features prominently in the Harvey Pekar book Not the Israel My Parents Promised Me. Patrons are invited to bring up to three books for a free evaluation.

Live Music

Maura Rogers and the Bellows (duo)
Thursday, September 17, 2015, 7:00—8:30PM
~ summer music series ~
Cleveland's Maura Rogers and the Bellows brings a refreshing twist to the alt folk genre. Influenced by artists ranging from Bruce Springsteen to PJ Harvey, Maura's honest lyrics overcome personal loss and proclaim perseverance. The dynamic musicianship of the Bellows provides listeners with a genuine, moving experience. When performing as a duo, Maura Rogers and Meredith Pangrace (a.k.a. The Bean Sisters) provide an intimate, laid back acoustic set that showcases their delicious harmonies and chemistry.

Classics Club

Thomas Hardy: Far From the Madding Crowd

Wednesday, September 23, 2015, 7:00—8:30PM
~ fourth Wednesdays ~
In Thomas Hardy’s first major literary success, independent and spirited Bathsheba Everdene has come to Weatherbury to take up her position as a farmer on the largest estate in the area. Her bold presence draws three very different suitors: the gentleman-farmer Boldwood, the soldier-seducer Sergeant Troy, and the devoted shepherd Gabriel Oak. Each, in contrasting ways, unsettles her decisions and complicates her life, and tragedy ensues, threatening the stability of the whole community. One of his first works set in the semi-fictional region of Wessex, Hardy’s novel of swift passion and slow courtship is imbued with his evocative descriptions of rural life and landscapes, and with unflinching honesty about sexual relationships. Loganberry's own book discussion group, led by Susan Petrone.

Live Music

Sommerfugl
Thursday, September 24, 2015, 7:00—8:30PM
~ summer music series ~
Sommerfugl ('summer-fool') is The Butterfly. Holly Overton and William Drake are two veterans of the local scene and two of the finest vocalists and instrumentalists around coming together in a synergistic rainbow of sound. Rich, delicate, precise harmonies; a joyous dance of guitar and violin; a captivating journey through many emotions and moods. You might just be transformed.

Book Signing

Elisabeth Egan: A Window Opens
Friday, September 25, 2015, 4:00PM
~ special event ~
The literary world in Elisabeth Egan’s A Window Opens is firmly divided between the New York City publishing houses and a megalithic retail operation called MainStreet located in Cleveland, Ohio.  As protagonist Alice Pearse accepts the challenge as her family’s breadwinner, MainStreet launches Scroll, a literary lounge that creates a cultural shift in the way people read and buy books, or, rather, eBooks.  Alice accepts a job at Scroll, and thinks her literary and economic needs are met.  But as the Orwellian tension mounts at Scroll and Alice’s multi-generational family’s needs also mount, Alice must make some serious decisions.  Family, community, and cultural truths weigh out against Big Brother here, and Cleveland makes many cameo appearances, including a “favorite bookstore on Larchmere.”  Join us for a book discussion and signing with Elisabeth Egan, the books editor of Glamour magazine and debut novelist. Add this one to your best Christmas-gifting ideas this year, too.

Happy End-of-Summer,

Harriett

Loganberry Books

13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800

Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image035.png@01CD6FD1.27CF2FB0  Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image036.png@01CD6FD1.27CF2FB0  @loganberrybooks

Mon. Tue. Fri. Sat.  10am-6pm  |  Wed. Thu. 10am-8:30pm  |  Sun. 12-4pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/.

Image
image001.jpg
Image