From: Harriett R. Logan <LoganberryNews@logan.com>
Subject: Literary Haunted House, at your service.
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2016 17:28:22 -0400
To: loganberrynews@logan.com <loganberrynews@logan.com>

Salutations!

Happy Halloween! Get your spook on, we’ll be ready for you on Monday evening!

Larchmere

Literary Haunted House
Monday, October 31, 2016, 4:00—8:00PM
~ annual events ~
Larchmere Boulevard celebrates Halloween with a candy run each year, and this year, Loganberry is upping the ante with a full Literary Haunted House tour. The 4-6pm time slot is designed for younger goblins and a G-rated tour. At 6pm, we turn the lights low and cater to an older goblin group who can take a bit of a scare. Each group will be accompanied by a Loganberry ghoul. Trick or Treat!

NaNoWriMo

Writers Welcome

Tuesday, November 1st, 10am-6pm

~ annual event ~

Ever wanted to be a novelist? November is your month! Join us for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo for short, or NaNo for even shorter), a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to creative writing. On November 1, participants begin working towards the goal of writing a 50,000-word novel by 11:59 PM on November 30. Valuing enthusiasm, determination, and a deadline, NaNoWriMo is for anyone who has ever thought about writing a novel. Participants can drop in any time during our regular hours throughout November and identify themselves as a NaNo participant at the front desk to receive a free wi-fi password. We'll help you get settled in with power outlets, comfy chairs, tea, and possibly an appearance by resident muse and shop cat Otis. Our spacious yet cozy environment is the perfect place to let your creativity run wild!

Local Voices

Mary Frances Fisher: Paradox Forged In Blood
Sunday, November 6, 2016, 1:00PM

~ Sunday Signings ~
Join us as local author Mary Frances Farmer signs her debut novel, Paradox Forged In Blood, a gripping tale based on true events and stories passed down through the author's family. This historical murder mystery is set in Cleveland, Ohio, during the late 1930s. Four decades after the murder of socialite Louis Sheridan, the cold case is resurrected with receipt of new evidence that transports detectives back to Nazi Germany. The only living witness, Ellen O’Malley, must confront a haunting secret and her complicit actions.

Open Mic

Broadsides & Ephemera
Thursday, November 10, 2016, 7:00PM
~ second Thursdays ~
Broadsides & Ephemera is a spoken word showcase by and for local writers. A perfect environment for shaping, sharing, and improving your poetry, prose, song, playwriting and performance art. Come one, come all!

Bucket List Book Club

Willa Cather: My Ántonia
Wednesday, November 16, 2016, 7:00PM
~ fourth third Wednesday ~
My Ántonia
evokes the Nebraska prairie life of Willa Cather's childhood, and commemorates the spirit and courage of immigrant pioneers in America. One of Cather's earliest novels, written in 1918, it is the story of Ántonia Shimerda, who arrives on the Nebraska frontier as part of a family of Bohemian emigrants. Her story is told through the eyes of Jim Burden, a neighbor who will befriend Ántonia, teach her English, and follow the remarkable story of her life. Discussion led by Susan Petrone.
Due to the holidays, please note that this program has been changed from its usual 4th Wednesday slot to the 3rd Wednesday.

NOBS Forums

Mock Caldecott and Newbery Awards
Wednesday, November 16, 2016, 7:00PM
~ third Wednesdays ~
Each year, the American Library Association awards the best contributions to American literature and illustration for youth.  Among these awards are the Caldecott, Newbery, Printz, Pura Belpré and Coretta Scott King awards.  Throughout the year, in classrooms and bookstores, mock Caldecott and Newbery panels gather together just for the fun of it, to offer up their nominations and cast their votes for these prestigious awards.  On November 16, join Larry Rakow, Harriett Logan, children’s booklovers and collectors to talk about the official criteria, and to nominate your favorite books of 2016.  Then join us for the live webstream of the official ALA announcements on January 23, 2017 at 8:00AM to see how our nominations fare.

Vintage Entertainment

Charlie Chaplin’s “The Kid”
Thursday, November 17, 2016, 7:00PM
~ fourth third Thursday ~
Thursday, November 17th, 7:00pm

In “The Kid” (1921), Charlie Chaplin once again appears as the lovable Tramp. In this adventure the Tramp discovers a foundling and sets about raising him in trademark, silly and offbeat fashion. But fate conspires to separate the boy and his makeshift father and what happens next tickles the funny bone and warms the heart. Due to the holidays, please note that this program has been changed from its usual 4th Thursday slot to the 3rd Thursday.

Lit Cleveland

Learn How Agents and Editors Work

Saturday, November 19th, 10:00am

~ workshop ~

The Agent Quandary: Agents and Queries and Rejections, Oh My! – with Victoria A. SelvaggioNavigating the publishing process can be overwhelming for every writer––beginner to advanced. In this presentation, learn the basics of what an agent’s responsibilities are, how to decipher if you need one and if you do, how to tackle the submission process and compose a query letter. As time allows, agent Victoria Selvaggio will also provide information about The Jennifer De Chiara Literary Agency.

The Publishing Process from Acceptance to Print – with Nicole BooseIn this talk, Nicole Boose (Managing Director of Belt Publishing, former Marvel Comics editor) will review how written work goes from initial concept to published piece. Learn about what publishers look for, get a behind-the-scenes glimpse at the mechanics of editing and publishing, and discuss the diverse ways that both comics and prose find their way to an audience.

Register with Lit Cleveland.

Larchmere

Larchmere Holiday Stroll
Friday--Sunday, November 25—27

~ annual event ~
Now in its third decade, the Larchmere Holiday Stroll is our kick-off to the holiday season, featuring horse and buggy rides, cider and cookies, and other special events by participating Larchmere merchants. Join us for our annual holiday pop-up shop, Otis’ Old Curiosity Shop, starting mid-November, and running through the end of the year.  Also, we will also be celebrating Indies First, a national celebration of independent bookstores. Authors joining the celebration at Loganberry include Nikki Delamotte, Tricia Springstubb, Joanna Connors, Dave Cockley and others. Check the website for additions and specific times.

Thanks for reading,

Harriett

P.S.  It’s a busy time for us, setting up Otis’ Old Curiosity Shop.  Not only do we lose time, we also lose space for our usual book buying from the public.  So, I’m afraid we’ll be on book buying moratorium for the entire month of November, and by appointment only in December.  Thank you and happy holidays!

Loganberry Books

13015 Larchmere Boulevard | Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120 | 216.795.9800

 @loganberrybooks

Mon. Tue. Fri. Sat.  10am-6pm  |  Wed. Thu. 10am-8:30pm  |  Sun. 12-4pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/.

Image
image001.jpg
Image