From: Harriett R. Logan <LoganberryNews@logan.com>
Subject: Cleveland Book Week
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 20:45:35 -0400
To: LoganberryNews@logan.com <LoganberryNews@logan.com>

Salutations!

Come visit us for an end-of-season blow out sale before we roll up the sidewalk for colder seasons. We have preview sales on 2018 calendars, and lots of great things we’ve decided to part with at a greatly reduced price. Come empty our shelves and fill yours!  And then join us for city-wide celebrations of the Cleveland Book Week with the Anisfield-Wolf Awards, The Cleveland Flea, and NOBS Antiquarian Book and Paper Show. We’ll be there.

Annex Gallery

bivensStephen Bivens: The Heart Of It All

through September 3, 2017

Stephen Bivens is a Cleveland based photographer who has a keen sense of capturing beauty in both the faces and landscapes of Cleveland. He is hopeful that the imagery he shares will cause the viewer to pause and reconsider the day-to-day. Through sharing images of both beauty and heartbreak he intends to portray a city on the rise. A community of rich cultural heritage, diversity, new opportunity, and hope.

Local Voices
http://www.loganberrybooks.com/img/events/book-signings/LV-coast.jpgSara Coast: What You Don't Know Will Hurt You
Sunday, August 27, 2017, 1:00PM
Join local author Sara Coast as she signs her new mystery novel, What You Don't Know Will Hurt You. Sheriff Jake Mason finds love and danger when he meets his match in super-agent Grace Cooper. A strong woman whose passion leaves Jake smitten and suspicious, Grace's loyalties are put to the test when a mystery of international intrigue explodes in sleepy Caswell Bay, Maine.

Larchmere Events

https://mail.logan.com/Session/4904-lAGP7U3Bd1iIOcrnBVlI/MIME/Melanie-MM-1/13-01-02-R/image046.jpg@01D30D49.9F697A60Larchmere Sidewalk Sale
Saturday, September 2, 2017, 10:00AM—5:00PM
~annual event~
Discover Larchmere Boulevard, an indie merchants mecca with over 40 shops, galleries, eateries and services featuring art, antiques, books, china, gifts, jewelry, oriental rugs, wearable art, beauty salons and more. Join us for our bi-annual sidewalk sales, with seasonal bargains, outdoor shopping, extra street vendors and food trucks.  Loganberry Books will have some extra-special bargains out on the sidewalk, as well as 20% off all books inside the store. 2018 Calendars will be 20% off, and older calendars will be 25-cents (great for art projects!). Some odds and ends and old chairs might be added to the mix too; what's not to love?

Book Signing
http://www.loganberrybooks.com/img/events/book-signings/LV-anderson.jpg J.C. Anderson: The Truth in Black and White
Sunday, September 3, 2017, 1:00PM
Join local author J.C. Anderson as he signs his tenth book, The Truth in Black and White, which presents the author's experiences living as the lone white man in government subsidized housing with 139 African Americans in a rundown urban neighborhood. Anderson writes: "I have always felt that integration is as much a white responsibility as a black one. When I moved here three years ago, I had in mind a Studs Terkel oral history about the lives of Black women. To get started, I asked my new neighbors what their lives have been like. As I recorded their case histories and testimonials and spoke with white friends and colleagues, I realized how little most Americans know about the true history of racism, slavery, and civil rights. In my completed manuscript, the experiences and comments of my Afro-American friends and neighbors accent and support my true, adumbrated history. Near the book’s end, my black friends and I recommend practical cures for the deadly disease of racism - conditional cash transfers for the poor, conditional tuition-free college education for qualified minority students, and national truth and reconciliation conferences."

Reminder
https://mail.logan.com/Session/4904-lAGP7U3Bd1iIOcrnBVlI/MIME/Melanie-MM-1/13-01-02-R/image057.png@01D30D4A.73E4C5B0Labor Day
Monday, September 4, 2017
We are closed today.
Have a great day!

Annex Gallery
http://www.loganberrybooks.com/img/events/annex-gallery/meredithhahn.jpgMeredith Hahn: The Ambiance of Flow
Wednesday, September 6th, 6:00pm

Meredith Hahn considers herself a figurative artist. The figure in its certain poses can tell what the soul has endured. For Meredith the figure is the most natural and poetic way to express emotions or experiences. Inspired by the beauty that surrounds us, she often gives natural elements a voice or mood by merging them with the human figure. Like dancers, a tree or a mountain can have a body and face to convey a small story of its life. At times dancers are the subjects of her work. At times her figures are more like cartoons with long sleeves and blank stares. These figures are meant to bring a playful and gentle approach to life’s difficult circumstances. Meredith's show opens with a reception on September 6th and runs through Sunday October 1st.

Literary Cleveland
PictureWriting Out Loud with Dana Norris
Thurs. 9/7, 9/14, 9/21, & 9/28, 7-9p

Ever seen someone on stage, captivating the crowd, and thought "I want to do that"? This class will show you how to create, edit, and perform your own stories. We'll show you how to turn off your inner critic and turn up your creative juices. Each student will move a personal story from the draft stage to a performance-ready piece of electrifying theater. In class we’ll create stories, discuss the fundamentals of live storytelling, and provide feedback on each others' work. Outside of class you'll be encouraged to attend storytelling shows and discover techniques you can use to enhance your own writing and performances. The class will conclude with a public show on Wed. 10/29 where students will join the storytelling community in full. Always wanted to be on that stage, reading your work? Now's your chance!
Dana Norris is the founder of Story Club, a nonfiction storytelling show held in Cleveland, Chicago, Boston, Minneapolis, and Belgrade. She is the Editor-in-Chief of Story Club Magazine and currently writes for Role/Reboot and Cleveland Scene. Her work has appeared in/on McSweeney's Internet Tendency, The Rumpus, Tampa Review, WCPN Cleveland and WBEZ Chicago, among many others. Register here.

Book Signing

Ferrett Steinmetz: Upload
Thursday, September 7, 2017, 7:00PM
~ book signing ~
Ferrett Steinmetz has a new book! Yay!!! Please join us as Ferrett discusses and signs Uploaded. As always, he's a fine writer and a good friend to Loganberry Books!
In the near future, the elderly have moved online and now live within the computer network. But that doesn’t stop them interfering in the lives of the living, whose sole real purpose now is to maintain the vast servers which support digital Heaven. For one orphan that just isn't enough – he wants more for himself and his sister than a life slaving away for the dead. It turns out that he's not the only one who wants to reset the world...

Cleveland Book Week
The Cleveland Flea
Saturday, September 9, 2017, 9:00AM—5:00PM
~ annual event ~
In honor of the Anisfield-Wolf Awards (09/07), The Cleveland Flea celebrates Cleveland Book Week. Look for a pop-up bookshop and literary cafe featuring local authors, young poets, and booksellers, where you can sample coffee and cocktails while browsing books while mingling with some of Cleveland’s authors. We’ll be there, too! The Cleveland Flea is located at 3615 Superior Ave., and has a modest admission fee.

NOBS Forums

Image result for NOBS Cleveland Antiquarian Book & Paper Show NOBS Cleveland Antiquarian Book & Paper Show
Sunday, September 10th, 10:00am
The NOBS Seventh Annual Cleveland Book & Paper Show will be held at The Shaker Heights Country Club, 3300 Courtland Boulevard, Shaker Heights, Ohio 44122 on Sunday, September 10th, 2017 from 10 AM to 5 PM. A wide variety of dealers in old, used, and rare books and paper collectibles will set up booths for the one-day Antiquarian Book and Paper Show. It’s like a paper museum where everything is for sale! And you don’t have to be a “collector” to take part. From books centuries old, bound in leather or vellum, to modern gems already out-of-print, the Cleveland Antiquarian Book and Paper Show offers a wide variety. Dealers may specialize in modern first editions of literature, military history, Ohioana, children’s and illustrated books, postcards and ephemera, or beautiful leather-bound sets. There’s a little something for everyone.
Guests of the NOBS Cleveland Antiquarian Book & Paper Show may also bring along up to three books of their own for a free evaluation a la Antiques Road Show.
General Admission is $6. Students, $4. Admission is FREE for NOBS members.

Open Mic
Image result for Broadsides & EphemeraBroadsides and Ephemera
Thursday, September 14, 2017, 7:00PM
Broadsides & Ephemera is a spoken word showcase by and for local writers. A perfect environment for shaping, sharing, and improving your poetry, prose, song, playwriting and performance art. Come one, come all!

Book Signing

http://www.loganberrybooks.com/img/events/book-signings/LV-allen.jpgKeith Allen: What a Mess!
Sunday, September 17, 2017, 1:00PM
Join author and paper architect Keith Allen for a signing of his new book, "What a Mess!," a children's pop-up both fun and intricately beautiful. This unique book comes packed with amazing complex pop-ups and a hilarious story that is perfect for kids ages 3-8. It's no secret that most children do not like to pick-up after themselves. This book sets out to promote personal responsibility by answering the question: "What would happen if we just didn't clean-up?"

NOBS Forums

NOBS Forums - Western Reserve Historical Society and its Collections
Wednesday, September 20, 2017, 7:00PM
What exactly does The Western Reserve Historical Society do? It documents our history here in Northeast Ohio. Through museum objects and artifacts, books, journals and manuscripts, genealogical history, and even historical properties, the WRHS is our resource on local history. The Research Library holds many significant collections for which it provides print, manuscript, archival and digital support, with a large focus on genealogy and supporting resources. Join Ann Sindelar and NOBS to learn more about this diverse collection and how Clevelanders and worldwide visitors can access and interpret them.

Book Signing

http://www.loganberrybooks.com/events/Dressler-book&photo.jpgM Dressler Book signing for The Last To See Me
Thursday, September 21, 2017, 7:00PM
Please join us as M Dressler talks about her novel The Last To See Me. In a small logging town in northern California, young Emma Rose Finnis was born and died. Now, no one remembers her hardworking life and her grand dreams--but she remembers. She remembers everything. Emma Rose is still here, one hundred years after her death . . . and she doesn't plan on leaving. But when a determined hunter arrives with instructions to "clean" Emma Rose out of her haunt, the stately Lambry mansion, death suddenly isn't the worst fate imaginable. Emma Rose refuses to be hounded from the only place she's ever found peace, even if it means waging a war on the living . . . and the dead. Lyrical and haunting, this spellbinding American ghost story alternates between Emma Rose's life and afterlife as the past and present become entwined in a compelling tale of loss, love and tenacity over a century in the making. As Kirkus Reviews states: A gorgeous mystery of love that twists into curses. And we would agree! This is a haunting, memorable book!

Local Voices

http://www.loganberrybooks.com/img/events/book-signings/LV-bradley.jpgTito M. Bradley: Reciprocation
Sunday, September 24, 2017, 1:00PM
Join local author Tito M. Bradley as he signs his new book, Reciprocation. This riveting suspense thriller is about a serial killer who can't be profiled. Join us!

Book Club

http://www.loganberrybooks.com/img/events/classics-club/stationeleven.jpgEmily St. John Mandel: Station Eleven
Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 7:00PM
Kirsten Raymonde will never forget the night Arthur Leander, the famous Hollywood actor, had a heart attack on stage during a production of King Lear. That was the night when a devastating flu pandemic arrived in the city, and within weeks, civilization as we know it came to an end. Twenty years later, Kirsten moves between the settlements of the altered world with a small troupe of actors and musicians. They call themselves The Traveling Symphony, and they have dedicated themselves to keeping the remnants of art and humanity alive. But when they arrive in St. Deborah by the Water, they encounter a violent prophet who will threaten the tiny band’s existence. And as the story takes off, moving back and forth in time, and vividly depicting life before and after the pandemic, the strange twist of fate that connects them all will be revealed.

Classic Movie Night

Image result for charlie chaplin the circusCharlie Chaplin's The Circus
Thursday, September 28, 2017, 7:00PM
This month we will be showing Charlie Chaplin's "The Circus" from 1928 which is, in many ways, his forgotten classic. Wrongfully accused of criminal acts, a tramp (Charlie Chaplin) unwittingly ducks into a big top, where his bumbling attempts to avoid pursuing police officers earn the laughter and applause of the circus-goers. Impressed, the ringmaster (Allan Garcia) decides to employ the tramp as an entertainer. In between getting trapped in a lion's cage and partaking in clumsy high wire escapades, he falls for a beautiful show rider (Merna Kennedy), who unfortunately has eyes for a daring tightrope acrobat. Grab the popcorn and a friend for Classic Movie Night at Loganberry Books, every 4th Thursday at 7 p.m. Relive the glory days of the silver screen... no ticket required! We’ll enjoy popular favorites, hidden treasures, and B-movie howlers. Fun for the whole family.

Local Voices

http://www.loganberrybooks.com/img/events/book-signings/LV-sullivan-simon.jpgStacie Sullivan-Simon: I Am Me and You Are You
Sunday, October 1, 2017, 1:00PM
Join local children's author Stacie Sullivan-Simon for the signing of her new picture book, "I Am Me and You Are You." "I Am Me and You Are You" discusses racism and bullying, introducing the discussion of how each and every one of us is unique. It teaches children to "Stop, Think, & Do the Switch-A-Roo," and put yourself in that person’s shoes. Sullivan-Simon aims to start the conversation with our little ones, because they hold the key to eradicating racism and bullying to make our world a better place.

Book Signing

http://www.loganberrybooks.com/img/events/book-signings/brodsky.jpgEllendea Proffer-Teasley: Brodsky Among Us
Tuesday, October 3, 2017, 7:00PM
Ellendea Proffer-Teasley joins us for a conversation about political art, censorship, and publishing. Proffer-Teasley is the author of Mikhail Bulgakov: Life & Work, co-founder of Russian Literature TriQuarterly and Ardis Publishers, and a 1989 MacArthur Fellowship recipient. Her most recent book is Brodsky Among Us, a searingly personal memoir of the great Russian poet and Nobel laureate. Proffer-Teasley befriended Brodsky in the 1960s on a trip to Russia, and was instrumental in his relocation to the US after his exile. She draws a portrait of an imperfect man, a great artist, and uncompromising political thinker. Perhaps she can help interpret our troubled political climate with clues from Brodsky's totalitarian past.

Thanks for reading,

Harriett

Loganberry Books

13015 Larchmere Boulevard | Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120 | 216.795.9800  | books@logan.com

 cid:image002.jpg@01D28C2B.A4759F60   cid:image004.png@01D28C2B.A4759F60

@loganberrybooks

Mon. Tue. Fri. Sat.  10am-6pm  |  Wed. Thu. 10am-8:30pm  |  Sun. 12-4pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/.

Image
image001.jpg
Image