From: Harriett R. Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: Loganberry Books welcomes 2006
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 20:30:23 -0500
To: <LoganberryNews@logan.com>
Salutations!

Loganberry in the snow Welcome to 2006.

Winter in Cleveland makes me nostalgic for cross-country skiis and hot cider.  But where's the snow?  Well, at least the sidewalks are clear (despite this photo), and we've got some complimentary hot tea and lots of books to browse....  and maps (see below)....

Exciting recent acquisitions
Gringo Guns

  • Vintage westerns by Pocket Books, like Gringo Guns by Peter Field, 1945 edition
  • a new retrospective of The World on Sunday: Graphic Art in Joseph Pulitzer's Newspaper (1898 - 1911)
  • History of the Army of the Cumberland by Van Horne, 1875
  • new reprints of Jane Eayre Fryer, including The Mary Frances Sewing Book
  • A Pictorial Encyclopedia of the Oriental Arts of Japan, in 4 volumes, 1969
  • a 1985 architectural monograph on American maestro Kevin Roche
  • Great Men and Famous Women, 8 leatherbound volumes, 1894
  • first American edition of Darwin's classic On the Origin of Species, 1860
  • Harrison Fisher's A Dream of Fair Women, and other illustrated beauties

NOBS Forums: Conversations Throughout the Book World
A Winter's Tale by Sabuda Larry Rakow
From Meggendorfer to Sabuda:
A Brief History of the Masters of Pop-Up Books

Saturday, January 28, 4:00pm

Larry Rakow is the current president of NOBS and the owner of Wonderland Books, a specialty shop focusing on used and rare children's books with a special interest in pop-up and movable books. Larry will draw from his own impressive collection to present an illustrated lecture on the history of movable books with an emphasis on Robert Sabuda, the contemporary master of all things pop-up.
NOBS Members free; non-members $3

Stump the Bookseller  Selection of the month
Stump the BooksellerJ65: John Hollis
The book I'm trying to find is one that I read in the mid 1970s when I was approx. 10-12 years old. I used to borrow it from my local library in Wales. I remember 2 main characters, a girl and a boy, both at least in their early teens; I remember the plot centred around a wood/forest/river/pond; the girl I think was troubled; I'm sure the boy was a ghost - but am not certain if this was known throughout the book or revealed at the end; the name of the boy is "John Hollis"   - if I have remembered the name correctly then at the end of the book the girl kept shouting his name in the woods but he didn't appear, possibly because he had previously appeared to her only in times of trouble and now that her trouble was resolved(?) he no longer appeared. I remember it as a bitter-sweet tale, sweet because John Hollis helped the girl in times of trouble, bitter because once the girl was happy again, he disappeared.  Hope you can help! I'd love to read it again.

Annex Gallery
US Literary mapVintage Classroom Wall Maps
January 10-30
Remember your old elementary school classroom and the great big maps that used to roll up like window shades?  This Annex Gallery show features some vintage maps, literary heritage maps, and other teaching tools from the 50s and 60s.  They'll be on display during the month of January, and available for purchase.

I hope to see you browsing at Loganberry soon!

peace,
Harriett

Loganberry Books
13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800
Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/

Image
Image