From: Loganberry Books <elisabeth@logan.com>
Subject: Loganberry News January 2019
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2019 11:33:18 -0700
To: <harriett@logan.com>
Loganberry News January 2019

Like   Tweet
shopping-at-local-independent-bookstores-is-a-gift-to-community-822c44f312159284

Loganberry News January 2019

Happy 2019 from Loganberry Books!

Happy New Year from Loganberry! First of all, thank you for a fabulous holiday season. We hope your holidays were everything you wanted them to be. Now more than ever, we appreciate you, your reading enthusiasm, and of course, your business. What's next on your reading list? Any New Year's Reading Resolutions we can help with? Writing resolutions? The biggest children's book awards of the year are right around the corner; join us for the live webcast (and bagel party!)

Book News

Nielsen

Antiquarian Acquisitions

Kay Nielsen has always been a firm favorite for us here at Loganberry, so we're especially pleased to have added this first American edition of East of the Sun, West of the Moon to our offering of collectible illustrated books. With 25 tipped in color plate, it's a real beauty; please email us at books@logan.com or call the store to learn more about it!

51SXN17hetL. SX321 BO1 204 203 200

Hot Off the Press!

January 1:
Bad with Money by Gabby Dunn Based on the popular podcast of the same name, an exploration of the shame that plagues the money decisions most people make and how to escape it.
January 8:
Orchestra of Minorities by Chigozie Obioma: a new novel from the Man Booker Finalist author of The Fisherman, this epic story follows the love story and hardships of a poor poultry farmer in Nigeria.
January 15:
Adele by Leila Slimani: new psychological suspense from the award-winning author of The Perfect Nanny.

exclamation-mark-png-5a381577720d33.0879177315136249514672

Good to Know

▪ Used Book Buying: We will resume buying used books from walk-in customers Tuesdays and Fridays, 10:30am-5pm, on Friday, January 4! As usual, please before you come in to insure that a book buyer will be available to meet with you.
▪ Sale! For the month of January, all cards, calendars, and select items from Otis' Old Curiosity Shop will be 20% off while supplies last.
Used Book Buying: We will resume buying used books from walk-in customers Tuesdays and Fridays, 10:30am-5pm, on Friday, January 4! As usual, please before you come in to insure that a book buyer will be available to meet with you.
Sale! For the month of January, all cards, calendars, and select items from Otis' Old Curiosity Shop will be 20% off while supplies last.
IMG 1490

Otis' Corner

We've recently stocked up on some very charming (and affordable!) framed prints, with one to fit almost any style and decor. Otis is especially fond of this one highlighting illustrations from the picture book The Fox by Leith Douglas Morton, illustrated by Yukuo Murakami. Stop by the store or call us for more details.

***

Upcoming Events

logo

Open Mic

Lake Erie Ink Teen Open Mic
Friday, January 18, 2019, 6pm-8pm
Loganberry is delighted to host this month's Lake Erie Ink Teen Open Mic. Teens in grades 6-12 are invited to speak their minds at this monthly event. Bring poems, stories, or songs to share, or write one while you’re here. Doors open at 6:30pm; reading begins at 7pm. All are invited to listen, and no registration is required. Come to perform, write, watch, or eat! Pizza will be provided.

terry sm

Open Mic

Broadsides & Ephemera
Thursday, January 10, 2019, 7pm
~second Thursdays~
We are delighted to welcome performer and poet Terry Provost as our featured reader for this month's Broadsides & Ephemera! Broadsides & Ephemera is a spoken word showcase by and for local writers. A perfect environment for shaping, sharing, and improving your poetry, prose, song, playwriting and performance art. Come sign up for a slot and stick around after Terry's performance to share your own work!

leechilcote-009 orig

Book Launch and Signing

Lee Chilcote: How to Live in Ruins
Friday, January 11, 2019, 6:30-8:30pm
Please join us for the launch of Lee Chilcote’s new poetry collection, How to Live in Ruins. Lee will be reading with poets Jim Garrett and Diane Vogel Ferri, who also have new books out from Finishing Line Press. There will be wine, snacks, and good conversation. “Lee Chilcote has written a beautifully crafted homage to Cleveland; one that manages to embrace the complications of both parenthood and urban living. Far from reverential, these poems are tributes nevertheless – suffused with a dark humor, clarity, and empathy that override the sometimes knotty reality of life in the Rust Belt.” – Kelly Fordon, author of Garden of the Blind

images 1 orig

Lit Cleveland

How to Create Creative Nonfiction
Saturdays, January 12, 19, 26, February 2, 2019, 10am-12pm
This four-session workshop will provide an in-depth look at how to create prose that is fact-based and chronicles real life events rather than fiction, but can incorporate personal reflection, opinions and experiences. Skills taught can be applied to a wide variety of creative nonfiction pieces from personal essay to memoir, current issues and events and travel. Instructor Christopher Johnston has published more than 3,000 articles in numerous publications, including Christian Science Monitor, Cleveland Magazine, The Plain Dealer, Scientific American, and Time.com. His book, Shattering Silences: Strategies to Prevent Sexual Assault, Heal Survivors, and Bring Assailants to Justice was published by Skyhorse in May 2018. More information and registration here.

513M8SGWZZL

Classic Movie Night

Monkey Business (1952)
Thursday, January 17, 2019, 7pm
~third Thursdays~
Cary Grant, Marilyn Monroe, Ginger Rogers star in this 1952 screwball comedy about an absent-minded chemist who finds his life turned upside down when one of his chimpanzees finds the fountain of youth. Grab the popcorn and a friend for free Classic Movie Night at Loganberry Books, every 3rd Thursday at 7 p.m.

51JTiZ-6AiL. SX337 BO1 204 203 200

Bucket List Book Club

Azar Nafisi: Reading Lolita in Tehran
Wednesday, January 23, 2019, 7pm
~fourth Wednesdays~
The incredible true story of Iranian literature professor Azar Nafisi's reading group of seven female students who met with her secretly to read and discuss Western classics like Lolita, Pride & Prejudice, The Great Gatsby, and others forbidden by the fundamentalist Islamic Iranian government. Join us for a discussion of this unforgettable tribute to the love of good books with your host, author and educator Susan Petrone.

caldecott-1

NOBS Forums

Nicki Petrone: Caldecott Contenders 2019
Thursday, January 24, 2019, 7pm
Every year, the American Library Association gets together to award the best and most distinguished in children's literature published in the past year. The Caldecott Medal, awarded for the first time in 1937, is given for the most distinguished American picture book. Join Nicki Petrone, Shaker Heights Children's Librarian, to talk about potential Caldecott contenders with an eye on predicting this year's winners. While the concentration will be on Caldecott contenders, we'll also touch on other possible other award-winners (Newbery, Coretta Scott King, and others).

caldecott-1

ALA YMA Awards

Live Webcast of ALA Youth Media Awards Ceremony
Monday, January 28, 2019, 11am
~annual~
Please join us for the live webcast of the 2018 awards ceremony for America's most prestigious children's book awards, including the Caldecott and Newbery Medals. We'll watch the live broadcast from ALA Midwinter in Seattle, and invite you to join us for coffee and bagels to find out who the winners are.

Thanks for reading,
Harriett & all the Loganberries