From: Loganberry Books <elisabeth@logan.com>
Subject: Loganberry News March 2019
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 14:32:31 -0700
To: <otis@logan.com>
Loganberry News March 2019

Like   Tweet
shopping-at-local-independent-bookstores-is-a-gift-to-community-822c44f312159284

Loganberry News March 2019

Happy Women's History Month!

We are creatures of habit and we are products of our environment; we like to celebrate birthdays and anniversaries. Our events this month feature all those things, and yet, there are new projects on the horizon, too, new ways of responding to our communities, new partnerships to forge. What projects are you working on? How can we be a part of your quest for a better world? We have deep roots here, but they're meaningless without your input. Thank you for all you are doing in your communities. Please talk to us; let us make an impact together.

Book News

IMG 2093

Antiquarian Acquisitions

In celebration of Women's History Month, we're excited to share this truly charming, hard to find, signed edition of Ladies in Revolt by Abbie Graham, a short history of Feminism from Mary Wollstonecraft to the 1930s. Published by The Womans Press in 1934, this is a unique piece of women's history we'd love to tell you more about. Please call or email us at books@logan.com for more information.

Pre-Order and Save!

Get 10% off retail price when you order these titles before the on-sale date. Click on the links below or call 216-795-9800 to order, and we'll have the book ready for you to pick up the day it comes out!

61IqCFad9ZL. SX329 BO1 204 203 200

On-sale April 2: Greek to Me: Adventures of the Comma Queen by Mary Norris A delightful romp through Greek language and culture, ancient and modern, with bestselling author and copyeditor célèbre, Mary Norris. PLUS: Mark your calendar for Mary's special event at Loganberry on April 27th! Details coming soon.

images

On-sale April 9: Diary of an Awesome Friendly Kid by Jeff Kinney: Get ready for a whole new look into Diary of a Wimpy Kid—through the diary of Rowley Jefferson! Rowley’s best friend Greg Heffley has been chronicling his middle-school years in thirteen Diary of a Wimpy Kid journals, but this new book lets readers to hear directly from Rowley in a journal of his own.

sale sign 2-430x389

Sale! Sale! Sale!

March's featured sale is 20% off in the History Section. Brush up on world history, or read a transporting travelogue. From the Ice Age to the Cold War, there's something for everyone!

VHC50

Otis' Corner

Did you know that Otis' friend The Very Hungry Caterpillar is 50 years old in 2019?! Come check out our special window displays celebrating this ravenous insect, commemorative anniversary editions of the book, and more. Bon appetit!

***

Upcoming Events

breath

Annex Gallery

Lenabella: The Imaginarium of One Woman’s Mind
Wednesday, March 6, 2019, 6pm-8pm
~1st Wednesdays~
Please join us for a reception to celebrate the opening of Lenabella’s new show, The Imaginarium of One Woman’s Mind, on view and and for sale in the Loganberry Books Annex Gallery through March 2018. In honor of International Women's Day, we're also thrilled to host live music for the evening by members of Windsong, Cleveland's Feminist Chorus.

Lenabella is a Cleveland native and a painter who dabbles in more than one medium but has found her home in watercolors. She is inspired by her love of fairy tales, nature, the female anatomy, and the storybooks of her youth. She aims to make her art feel as if the view is peering into a story while also portraying the vulnerability, strength, and mystery of a woman’s mind.

Holbrook-Salinger-book-photo

Book Signing

Sara Holbrook and Michael Salinger: Dreaming Big and Small
Thursday, March 7, 2019, 7-8:30pm
Please join us for the fun, poetry-filled Cleveland launch of Dreaming Big and Small, the newest book by authors Sara Holbook and Michael Salinger, illustrated by Scott Pickering. Dreaming Big and Small is a "collaborative art and poetry collection for middle grades and up. The young and anyone who has ever been young are gonna love this." It will be an evening of great performances and random acts of art, and everyone's invited! PLUS, Save the Date! On Wednesday, April 24, 7pm, Sara Holbrook and Michael Salinger will be hosting a special event just for Educators here at Loganberry. Stay tuned for more details soon.

international-womens-day

International Women's Day

Saturday, March 9, 2019, 10am-6pm
~annual~
Loganberry and other Larchmere merchants choose the Saturday closest to March 8th to mark this international day honoring women's past, present, and future. This year, we're honored to donate 20% of all sales proceeds from March 9th to local nonprofit The Sisterhood, which provides an array of resources and opportunities for girls age 10-18 right here in Cleveland. Spread the word and invite your friends to come buy a book (or two!) to support the vital work of The Sisterhood.

cm-photo 2

Lit Cleveland

The Inside Story: Writing Memoir
Saturdays, March 9, 16, 23 & 30, 2019, 10am-12pm
~March Saturdays~
Writers will take the ingredients of nonfiction narratives and learn how to craft their personal essays, biographies or memoir. Participants will read from a curated selection of texts to learn craft and then apply what they have learned to their writing. Participants should have completed at least one short essay or nonfiction piece prior to enrolling in the class. More information and registration here.

Charlotte Morgan is a longtime journalist and lover of nonfiction writing and teaches Composition and Intro to Fiction at Cleveland State University. She is presently in revisions on two memoirs, Glenville: My Side of Paradise and Judgment in Goshen: A Taxonomy of Ordinary Murder. In her spare time, she is developing a TV series with her LA writing partner.

angela crook

Local Voices

Chasing Navah by Angela Crook
Sunday, March 10, 2019, 1pm-3pm
~Sundays~
A year has passed since Navah Dickson’s once perfect buppie life was destroyed by her love for neighborhood drug dealer and street corner thug, Richard, and Navah is finally ready to live again. After a stint in rehab, and working tirelessly at a local women’s shelter helping women like herself find their way back, she is finally ready to start rebuilding the life she lost. But, when Richard’s brother, Boogie, is released from prison and comes looking to avenge Richard’s death, Navah finds herself in the fight of her life, not only against Boogie, but her own demons.

Angela Crook is a novelist and mother who loves writing dark thrillers that often explore the inner workings of family relationships. She grew up splitting her time between Cleveland, Ohio and Selma, Alabama.

scibona.volunteer

Book Signing

Salvatore Scibona: The Volunteer
Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 7pm
Meet National Book Award-Nominated (and Cleveland-born!) author Salvatore Scibona and have him sign your copy of his much-anticipated new novel, The Volunteer, the epic story of a restless young man who is captured during the Vietnam War and pressed into service for a clandestine branch of the United States government.

broadsides-lg

Open Mic

Broadsides & Ephemera
Thursday, March 14, 7pm-8:30pm
~2nd Thursdays~
We are delighted to welcome performer, artist and writer L. S. Quinn as our featured reader for this month's open mic! Broadsides & Ephemera is a spoken word showcase by and for local writers. A perfect environment for shaping, sharing, and improving your poetry, prose, song, playwriting and performance art. Come sign up for a slot and stick around after the performance to share your own work!

MV5BODA3NzcyNDA2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjM5Njc0MjE . V1 UX182 CR0 0 182 268 AL

Classic Movie Night

Sherlock Holmes in Washington (1943)
Thursday, March 21, 2019, 7pm
~third Thursdays~
In this 5th installment in the Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holmes movies, Sherlock and Watson cross the Atlantic on the trail of a sensitive document before it falls into the hands of an international spy ring. Grab the popcorn and a friend for free Classic Movie Night at Loganberry Books, every 3rd Thursday at 7 p.m.

220px-MoreDieOfHeartbreak

Bucket List Book Club

Saul Bellow: More Die of Heartbreak
Wednesday, March 27, 2019, 7pm
~fourth Wednesdays~
In this acclaimed novel from one of America's literary legends, two unforgettable characters take a lively romp through the baffling and often hilarious connection between the body and the mind. An eccentric Russian literature professor leaves his native Paris to be near his uncle--a world-class genius in botany but a total bungler when it comes to women--in the Midwest.

The Bucket List Book Club is led by former Loganberry staffer and writer Susan Petrone. We guarantee a spirited discussion!

NOBS-Logo1

NOBS Forums

Glenda Thornton: My Life in Books
Thursday, March 28, 2019, 7pm
New Time!: ~Fourth Thursdays~.
Join us for a special conversation with Glenda A. Thornton, recently retired Director of CSU's Michael Schwartz Library, about her diverse experience with libraries and collections. Before moving into library administration in 1991, Glenda served as Head of Materials Acquisitions at the University of North Texas, as Collection Development Librarian at Henderson State University, and was the Acquisitions Librarian at Adams State College. She has also written articles and given many presentations on collection development across the US.

torte-M

15th Annual Edible Books Festival

Save the Date!
Saturday, April 6, 2019, 12-2pm
~annual~
It's not too early to start planning your Edible Book creation! The International Edible Books Festival started in 2000 and has been gaining popularity each year. Loganberry Books and Strong Bindery have sponsored the Cleveland event since 2004, with awards, forks, and merriment. Booklovers, bookbinders, cooks, and craftspeople of all ages are invited to participate. Learn how you can enter an edible book creation or vote on the winner here.

Thanks for reading,
Harriett & all the Loganberries