From: Harriett R. Logan <harriett@loganberrybooks.com>
Subject: a Loganberry Harvest
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 15:06:25 -0400
To: <LoganberryNews@logan.com>
Salutations!

Here it is October already, just a month shy of our Tenth Anniversary!  Don't worry, we'll have more on that in the next newsletter.  In the meantime, let's enjoy the autumn harvest...

VegetarianismWorld Vegetarian Month

For the month of October, Loganberry Books and Cafe Limbo will be celebrating World Vegetarian Month by offering a reciprocal  10% coupon.  That means any book purchase here earns you a 10% discount for Cafe Limbo, and any food purchase there earns you a 10% discount at Loganberry Books.  What a great way to spread the word about peaceful and healthful eating!  I've got a wonderful selection of vegetarian cookbooks in stock, as well as other cookbooks, and, well, another 50,000 books or so in all subject matters.  Tell your friends.

Orlandoo Keeps a DogExciting new acquisitions
  • Two wonderful reprints of Kathleen Hale's Orlando the Marmalade Cat series
  • a wonderful architecture book collection, including Frank Lloyd Wright, Walter Gropius, Le Corbusier, and the big boxed BAUHAUS book.
  • Cookbooks and more cookbooks, including many vegetarian cookbooks
  • Rockwell Kent's first book, Architectonics: The Tales of Tom Thumtack <sold>
  • some nice Tasha Tudor first editions, including a signed drawing
  • an enlarged Cleveland and local history section
  • a complete paperback set of  The Boxcar Children

Stump the Bookseller Selection of the month

P213: potato, potato, come back, alack
I'm looking for a collection of children's stories, published sometime between 1910 and 1940. One of the stories is about a little girl who loved potatoes. The story describes the many ways the potatoes were prepared, including  "baked golden brown amongst the warm ashes upon the hearth" (sic), etc. A recurring line in the story is, "Potato, potato, come back, come back, or my mother shall scold me, alack, alack," whence the potato sprouts legs and runs away from her.  As I recall, the book was cloth bound, orange in color. It was approximately 9 x 7 x 1 1/2. It had a color plate on the cover, as well as color plates throughout. It may have been illustrated by Jessie Willcox Smith, and could have been published by David McKay Company.

Cow by Gunter SchweglerIn the Annex Gallery
Gunter Schwegler:  Unexpected Philosophies
October 1-30, 2004

Gunter's paintings on silk evoke pastoral calms, swirling botanicals, fastastical castles, colorful abstractions, as well as this bah-humbug cow.  Ranging in size, Gunter's silks will fill the clerestory's height and float down to the ground.  Come be enchanted with color and texture.

Customer Poll
I'm thinking of staying open late one night per week (officially, that is).  Which night would you like Loganberry to be open until 8 or 9 pm?  Perhaps with live music?  Your vote counts!  Thanks.

Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday
Comments

Name (opt.)

...to be continued...
Our Tenth Anniversary is coming!  Stay tuned for celebration details.
Also mark your calendars for the Word Crafters Literary Festival on November 7th at Cleveland Public Library.  Loganberry will be hosting a free book appraisal day on Wednesday November 3rd in conjuntion with this city-wide event.

Hope to see you at Loganberry soon!

peace,
Harriett
Loganberry Books