From: Harriett R. Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: March on, Loganberry Books
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 13:23:07 -0500
To: <LoganberryNews@logan.com>
Salutations!

4 leaf clover
Happy early March!  I'm sending the newsletter a tad early, to let you know about the two great events happening this Thursday, March 2nd.  Faces of Fashion is a fundraiser for Larchmere, and boasts a much-anticipated fashion show of our area's great clothing, gems, and other collectible artifacts.  It's also the first Thursday of the month, so the Annex Gallery has a grand opening reception, this time featuring the block prints of Pamela Dodds.  Read on for more news...

Exciting recent acquisitions
maps and fleurs

  • 19th century maps:  including Johnson, Colton, and John Cary
  • a new line of greeting cards, including NY'er cartoons and Bodleian Library
  • Some great and unusual children's selections by illustrator Peter Sis
  • The Songs of Henry Clay Work, 1884
  • arts and crafts histories and artist monographs of Native Americans
  • the now out-of-print Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
  • Manga! -- the Love Hina series
  • James Michener's rare Hokusai Sketchbooks (from the original Manga)
  • a 2-volume boxed set collection of The Great Travelers, 450 B.C. to 1960
Faces of Fashion
Faces of FashionThursday, March 2, 6pm
This Fashion show will feature fashions and accessories from various Larchmere shops and local designers.  Come mingle, sample refreshments, learn more about the local offerings, and enjoy the frivolity and festivities.  Cool music and professional emcee!  An important fundraiser for both the Larchmere Merchants Association and LifeSkills Scholarship Fund.
Tickets are still available ($20), call Harriett at 216-795-9800.

Book Signing
Debbie AlferioDebbie Alferio, A Forever Kind of Love
Saturday, March 25, 1-3pm
Dana Walker feels alone, and she distrusts men in general.  Someone, however, has been watching her from afar.  Handsome, young Mitch Tarrington is taken by Dana’s beauty, but not feeling she could ever be interested in someone like himself, he tries hard to deny his attraction to her.  Fate has other ideas for the two, and a chance meeting finds them falling in love at first sight.  Soon Mitch and Dana are planning their wedding, but will a major misunderstanding fueled by desire and jealousy keep the nuptials from ever taking place?

Stump the Bookseller  Selection of the month
Stump the BooksellerG306: Good King Awkward
The title is GOOD KING AWKWARD but I've never been able to find it anywhere.  This is a pop-up book, published sometime in the late 60s/early 70s, about a King who wants to learn magic.  The opening lines are, "Good King Awkward from the magic land of Nix/Had a powerful ambition to be good at magic tricks./But although he practiced magic day and night without a stop,/Every trick he did in public was a failure and a flop."  I will be the hero to my entire family if I can find this.

NOBS Forums
RichardRichard Gildenmeister:  A Half-Century of Books and Authors
Saturday, March 18, 4pm
Richard is well known as Cleveland's Master Bookseller.  From his beginnings at downtown Cleveland's Higbee's in 1955, to his own bookshop on Shaker Square, to his current post at Joseph-Beth Booksellers in Legacy Village, Richard has spent half a century in the world of books:  meeting hundreds of authors, selling books, and always recommending the perfect gift.  Come hear about how the book business has exploded and changed over fifty years, and about the famous and quirky people Richard has met, all in Richard's own inimitable style.  $3 (free for NOBS members).

Annex Gallery
Pamela DoddsPamela Dodds: Block Prints
Opening Reception: Thurday, March 2, 6-8pm
Show:  March 2--April 3
Pamela Dodds will exhibit two series of block prints, including her LoveDance Series.  The smooth, grainless linoleum texture allows for the cutting of a fluid, detailed line. The images depict the inherent struggles of an intimate relationship as a passionate duet.  The Opening Reception coincides with the Faces of Fashion event:  if you're a friend of Pamela's, just let us know at the door.

Coming Soon...
The Torte According to HeatherEdible Books Festival
Saturday, April 1, 1pm
It's a contest.  It's a festival.  It's an exhibition.  It's a feast.  It's a ton of fun.
The only rule:  create edible art that has something to do with books.
What good books are you baking?

I hope to see you browsing at Loganberry soon!

peace,
Harriett

Loganberry Books
13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800
Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/

Image
Image