From: Loganberry Books <elisabeth@logan.com>
Subject: Loganberry News Holiday 2019
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 09:32:40 -0700
To: <harriett@logan.com>
Loganberry News Holiday 2019

Like   Tweet
shopping-at-local-independent-bookstores-is-a-gift-to-community-822c44f312159284

Loganberry Holiday News 2019

Silver Bells, Silver Anniversary

Salutations, friends! Guess who just turned 25? That's right: Loganberry Books! We'll have the official celebration on December 4 and look forward to quizzing you on all sorts of quarter-century trivia. Before that, however, we'll have our biggest weekend of the year: November 29-December 1 is the Larchmere Holiday Stroll and Indies First. We hope to see you soon, and wish you a safe and happy Thanksgiving and Holiday season!

Book News

IMG 5501

Antiquarian Acquisitions

Just in time for stocking stuffers, any night of Hanukkah, or a hostess gift: we've got dozens of these beautiful hand-colored prints from the 1843 edition of The Naturalist's Library, edited by Sir William Jardine, and glowing with exquisite color and detail. Each plate comes matted and ready to frame, for only $9.99 each! Stop by for a look-through; you're sure to find several to delight any nature or antique-lover on your list!

OOCS2013-otis-tourguide

Otis' Corner

Keep an eye on our media for another great round of Otis' Daily Deal! December 2-24 we'll feature a favorite item from Otis Curiosity Shop that's 20% off that day only. You can search #otisdailydeal on Facebook or check our Instagram Stories to see what's featured that day!

***

Upcoming Events

LMA-holiday-art-s

Larchmere Holiday Stroll

Friday, November 29-Sunday, December 1, 2019
Friday: 10am-5pm
Saturday: 10am-5pm
Sunday: 12pm-5pm
~annual~
For almost 50 years, the Larchmere Holiday Stroll has been our kick-off to the holiday season, featuring horse and buggy rides 12:00-4:00pm, cider and cookies, and other special events by participating Larchmere merchants. Otis' Old Curiosity Shop, Loganberry's popular holiday pop-up shop, will be in full swing. We will also be celebrating Indies First, a national celebration of independent bookstores and authors, with a range of activities and special gifts for you, our loyal customers. Our star attraction will be book signings by local authors each day of the stroll--details below!

IMG 1101

Open House

Holiday and 25th Anniversary Celebration
Wednesday, December 4, 10am-8:30pm
~annual~
Join us for a celebration of the season and of our thanks to the community for a great 25 years in business. Our popular holiday pop-up gift shop, Otis’ Old Curiosity Shop, is in full swing, featuring local artists, fair trade crafts, toys, gifts, games, and literary tchotchkes. Our holiday open house has a traditional offering of fine cheese and good wine from 6pm-8pm, and special discounts for Perks members all day long. Brian Henke, guitar maestro, will entertain us from 7-8:30pm. Happy Holidays, everyone!

ChilcoteLeblang

Book Signing

Lee Chilcote and Judah Leblang
Thursday, December 5, 2019, 7pm
Join Lee Chilocote and Judah Leblang as they present pieces from their new work on themes of home, family, and connection. Leblang's new memoir, Echoes of Jerry: One Man's Search for His Deaf Uncle and His Own Voice explores the author's deep connection with his Uncle Jerry, who was born deaf, denied sign language, and who lived an isolated life torn between the Deaf and hearing worlds. In How to Live in Ruins, Lee Chilcote unfolds what happened when he and his wife bought a townhouse in Cleveland's Detroit Shoreway neighborhood right before the 2008 foreclosure crisis. In addition to reading short excerpts of their work, the authors will answer questions and sign copies of their work.

Sherrod Brown author photo - credit Nannette Bedway-1

Book Talk & Signing

SOLD OUT! Sherrod Brown: Desk 88: Eight Progressive Senators Who Changed America
Friday, December 6, 2019, 7pm
Loganberry Books welcomes US Senator Sherrod Brown to discuss his new book, Desk 88, in conversation with Connie Schultz. The book explores the history of eight former progressive senators who occupied the desk he has in the senate since 2006.

Thanks to all the eager readers who helped this event sell out in just over an hour! We truly wish we had room for you all, but we still have plenty of stock of Desk 88 in stock here for purchase.

LV-WRBG stamp

Well-Read Black Girl Book Club

Bridgett Davis: The World According to Fannie Davis: My Mother's Life in the Detroit Numbers
Wednesday, December 11, 2019, 7pm
~bimonthly~
This month JumpStart Principal Gloria Ware will moderate a discussion of Bridgett Davis' moving memoir, The World According to Fannie Davis.

In 1958, the very same year that an unknown songwriter named Berry Gordy borrowed $800 to found Motown Records, a young mother from Nashville, Tennessee borrowed $100 from her brother to run a Numbers racket out of her home. That woman was Fannie Davis, Bridgett M. Davis' mother.

A daughter's moving homage to an extraordinary parent, The World According to Fannie Davis is also the suspenseful, unforgettable story about the lengths to which a mother will go to "make a way out of no way" to provide a prosperous life for her family -- and how those sacrifices resonate over time.

broadsides-lg

Open Mic

Broadsides & Ephemera: Megan Neville
Thursday, December 12, 2019, 7pm-8:30pm
~2nd Thursdays~
This month we are featuring writer and educator Megan Neville! Megan is the author of the poetry collection Love Belt Rust Song. Her work has also been published by or is forthcoming in Noble/Gas Quarterly, Split Rock Review, English Journal, Belt Magazine, Into the Void, and others. Come perform your own work at the Open Mic after enjoying Megan's poetry!

Broadsides & Ephemera is a spoken word showcase by and for local writers. A perfect environment for shaping, sharing, and improving your poetry, prose, song, playwriting and performance art. Come one, come all!

9781594481574

Bucket List Book Club

Anne Lamott: Plan B: Further Thoughts on Faith
Wednesday, December 18, 2019, 7pm
~monthly~
As bestselling author Anne Lamott knows, the world is a dangerous place. Fortunately for those of us who are anxious about the state of the world, Plan B offers hope that we’re not alone in the midst of despair. Lamott's expression of her faith has the ability to comfort and to make us laugh despite the grim realities. The Bucket List Book Club is led by former Loganberry staffer and writer Susan Petrone. We guarantee a spirited discussion!

220px-L H Babes in Toyland 1934

Classic Movie

Babes In Toyland (1934)
Thursday, December 19, 2019, 7pm
~monthly~
A Laurel & Hardy musical fantasia set in the imaginative world of Toyland. Grab the popcorn and a friend for Classic Movie Night at Loganberry Books, every 3rd Thursday at 7 p.m. Relive the glory days of the silver screen... no ticket required!

Holiday-Open-House

Closed for the Holiday

Christmas
Wednesday, December 25, 2019
~annual~
Wishing you peace and joy.

purple-champagne-hi

Closed for the Holiday

New Year's Day
~annual~
See you on January 2 to begin a great new year of reading!

Thanks for reading,
Harriett & all the Loganberries

exclamation-mark-png-5a381577720d33.0879177315136249514672

Important Updates

Attention booklovers: to help us help you during the busy holiday season, please note:
* We will be open:
-- Fridays until 8:30pm
to the end of the year
--December 24 until 4pm
--December 31 until 4pm
We will be closed on Christmas and New Year's Days.
* We will take a break from buying used books from walk-in customers from November 1 until mid-January, with the possible exception of very special collections; please call to request an appointment. Please note Tuesdays and Fridays are our usual buying days, and it's always wise to call ahead to make sure the book buyer is in on those days!