From: Loganberry Books <elisabeth@logan.com>
Subject: Loganberry News February 2020
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 07:22:55 -0700
To: <harriett@logan.com>
Loganberry News February 2020

Like   Tweet
shopping-at-local-independent-bookstores-is-a-gift-to-community-822c44f312159284

Loganberry News February 2020

Extra light every day, and a whole extra day in February!

There is no month more perfect for reading than February. Think of it: the doldrums of winter; still-dark nights; no summer festivals to interfere with your reading demands. And so many reasons to celebrate with a book: cooking up a delicious new recipe, a Valentine's romance, African-American history and celebration, recently announced ALA Youth Media Awards (yay Kadir Nelson!). And here at Loganberry Books, check out our Annex Gallery events, book clubs and book signings this month too.

(Of course, we think every month is the perfect month for reading, but it's worth a plug, right? And listen to Chunk the Groundhog: Eat Your Broccoli!)

Book News

Antiquarian Acquisitions

We've got a wonderful pairing of a signed first edition of the picture book, Over the Green Hills by Rachel Isadora (1992) and a framed original watercolor illustration from the book (detail shown). We're selling them as a set for only $175! Click link above for more information.

Preorder and save 10%!

Erik Larson's page-turning history books have gained a huge following over the years, and he's back with another. The Splendid & The Vile, out on February 25, delivers a fresh and unforgettable look at Winston Churchill, his family, and other private but incredible lives in London during the Blitz.

Click to preorder now and you'll save 10% off the cover price and have a guaranteed copy the day it publishes. Plus, the first 12 preorders will get a free magnet!

Otis' Corner

An adorable little valentine of a miniature book: Some Cats Help by Claire and Tristan Bolton, about how helpful cats are with household chores. Click for more info!

"Such an accurate portrayal of The Feline Experience--and just my size!" --Otis

exclamation-mark-png-5a381577720d33.0879177315136249514672

Take note!

▪ We have resumed our usual schedule for buying used books from walk-in customers on Tuesdays and Fridays, 10:30am-5pm. You may bring in up to 6 boxes at a time.
▪ We've also resumed usual opening hours: Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday: 10am-6pm; Wednesday-Thursday: 10am-8:30pm, Sunday: 12pm-5pm
We have resumed our usual schedule for buying used books from walk-in customers on Tuesdays and Fridays, 10:30am-5pm. You may bring in up to 6 boxes at a time.
We've also resumed usual opening hours: Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday: 10am-6pm; Wednesday-Thursday: 10am-8:30pm, Sunday: 12pm-5pm
***

Upcoming Events

48139120

Local Voices

Akiva Hersh: Boy in the Hole
Sunday, February 2, 1pm
~Sundays~
Boy in the Hole is a captivating novel about a family coming face-to-face with its dirty laundry, mostly through the eyes of the young Jacob Murtaugh. Join us for a book signing with author Akiva Hersh, a neuropsychologist with degrees in Neurolinguistics and Theology.

4981539246 e1cd893c95 b

Local Voices

Tim Carroll and Michele Makros: World War II and Northeast Ohio
Sunday, February 2, 3pm
~Sundays~
Join us for a double-header history book event! Tim Carroll, author of World War II in Akron and Michele Makros, author of Love Letters from the Marine Wolf will explore the local connections between northeast Ohio natives and World War II.

unnamed

Annex Gallery Opening

LaSaundra Robinson: Reflections of Me
Wednesday, February 5, 6-8pm
~First Wednesdays~
We're kicking off the 2020 Annex Gallery season with LaSaundra Robinson's brilliant new show, Reflections of Me, on view and for sale in Loganberry Books Annex Gallery through February 2020. Reflections of Me is a collection of paintings that depict black women: images of strength, confidence, resilience, beauty, and finding your way.

1411036. SY475

Coble's Dystopian Roadtrip Book Club

Doris Lessing: The Golden Notebook
Wednesday, February 5, 7pm
All are welcome! Click here for more on this bookclub and the book we're reading this month.

ruhlman-hood

Book Talk & Signing

Michael Ruhlman: From Scratch & Ann Hood: Kitchen Yarns
Friday, February 7, 2020, 7pm
Bestselling authors Michael Ruhlman and Ann Hood are coming to Loganberry to cook up a delicious conversation about their newest books: FROM SCRATCH and KITCHEN YARNS. Come for the kitchen wisdom, and pick up a signed copy of both books. As a special bonus, all copies of FROM SCRATCH purchased at the event will be 10% off!

LV-ABC with Jakee

Local Voices

Norman Hainer, Jr.: ABCs with Jakee
Sunday, February 9, 1pm
~Sundays~
Join us for a book signing with Norman Hainer, Jr., of ABCs with Jakee his beautifully illustrated alphabet picture book, inspired by the author's son, but perfect for any child.

LV-Mystery of the Rainbow

Local Voices

Melissa Burovac: Mystery of the Rainbow Flowers
Sunday, February 9, 3pm
~Sundays~
Join Melissa Burovac for an event celebrating the release of her new Middle Grade novel about a boy and a girl whisked away to a strange land where they must fight for their survival among wild animals.

Well-Read Black Girl Book Club

Bridgett Davis: The World According to Fannie Davis
Wednesday, February 12, 7pm
~quarterly~
JumpStart Principal Gloria Ware will moderate a discussion of The World According to Fannie Davis: My Mother's Life in the Detroit Numbers by Bridgett Davis. Well-Read Black Girl is a nationwide meetup and book club celebrating the writing and reading experiences of Black women. Please join us!

broadsides-lg

Open Mic

Broadsides & Ephemera: Mary Turzillo
Thursday, February 13, 2020, 7pm-8:30pm
~2nd Thursdays~
Come to Broadsides and Ephemera this month for an out of this world Valentine's reading by award-winning writer Mary Turzillo! Mary is both a science fiction writer and a poet. Broadsides & Ephemera is a spoken word showcase by and for local writers, a perfect environment for shaping, sharing, and improving your poetry, prose, song, playwriting and performance art.

IMG 1883.JPG

Valentine's Night

Friday, February 14, 6:30-8:30pm
~annual~
We have an annual tradition to celebrate Valentine's Day in a bookish, quiet, and romantic manner, surrounded by books, mock candlelight, chocolate and wine, and the serenading sounds of guitar maestro Brian Henke. Won't you join us?

5ce891e45abdf60a004b0e56 LCLogo H rgb

Lit Cleveland Workshop

Sarah Lohman: Writing Nonfiction Book Proposals
Saturdays, 2/15, 2/22, 2/29, 10am-12pm
Join food historian and author Sarah Lohman for an in-depth look at how to create a nonfiction book proposal that will get your project noticed. Details and registration at litcleveland.org.

Anna Julia Cooper-1

Douglass Day

Transcribe-a-thon and Discussion
Saturday, February 15, 3pm-6pm
~annual~
Join us in honoring Frederick Douglass' chosen birthday and celebrating Black History Month by helping transcribe Anna Julia Cooper's monumental papers, making the writings of this great Black feminist available to a wider audience.

Bring your laptop or tablet to help in this collaborative transcription work; Coffee, tea and treats will be provided! Visit douglassday.org for more information about Douglass Day and this year's feature, Anna Julia Cooper.

Local Voices

Elizabeth Meacham: Earth Spirit Dreaming
Sunday, February 16, 1pm
~Sundays~
Earth Spirit Dreaming offers much needed guidance on the essential journey back to an intimate love of Earth. Join us for a special event and signing with Elizabeth E. Meacham, Ph.D., an environmental philosopher, teacher, healer, spiritual mentor, and musician.

LV-Jason Raynor

Local Voices

Jason Raynor: I Used To Be Racist
Sunday, February 16, 3pm
~Sundays~
Join Jason Raynor for a discussion of his new memoir I Used to Be Racist which is both a meditation on and practical guide for calling out your own personal racism.

Naturalist's Notebook Book Club

Barbara Kingsolver: Flight Behavior
Sunday, February 16, 1pm
~quarterly~
All are welcome to this discussion of books exploring the natural world! Click the link above to purchase this month's selection, and here for more information on this month's discussion event.

p2490 v v8 aa

Classic Movie

The Clock (1945)
Thursday, February 20, 2020, 7pm
~monthly~
Judy Garland stars as a girl whose chance meeting with an American GI (played by Robert Walker) under the clock in Penn Station sparks a whirlwind romance. Grab the popcorn and a friend for Classic Movie Night at Loganberry Books, every 3rd Thursday at 7 p.m. Relive the glory days of the silver screen... no ticket required!

Bucket List Book Club

Tony Morrison: The Bluest Eye
Wednesday, February 26, 2020, 7pm
~fourth Wednesdays~
The Bucket List Book Club is led by former Loganberry staffer and writer Susan Petrone. Please click here for more on this month's book and come and join our lively conversation!

Book Talk and Signing

Nicolette Polek: Imaginary Museums
Wednesday, February 19, 7pm
We're thrilled to host up-and-coming fiction writer Nicolette Polek! In her debut collection of compact fictions, she transports us to a gently unsettling realm filled with beautifully strange characters possessed by a familiar and human longing for connection: to their homes, families, God, and themselves.

Local Voices

Tammy and Dean Shaffer: Metaphor: The Universal Language of Photography
Sunday, February 23, 1pm
~Sundays~
Join artists and educators Tammy and Dean Shaffer for a discussion of their new book, Metaphor, an accessible guide anyone can use to better understand and appreciate photographic art.

41rlUkADe0L. AC

Closed for Staff Training

Monday, February 24, 2020
We want to be the best booksellers we can be, so we're closed today for staff training and will be open again (and better than ever) as usual on Tuesday, 2/25 at 10am.

NOBS-Logo1

NOBS Forums

Pam Eyerdam: What's Special at Cleveland Public Library
Thursday, February 27, 2020, 7pm
This month, Pam Eyerdam, Cleveland Public Library Special Collections Manager, will speak about her department's diverse rare holdings and will bring along a few treasures to pique our interests.

Thanks for reading,
Harriett & all the Loganberries