From: Loganberry Books <elisabeth@logan.com>
Subject: Loganberry News November 2020
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 13:48:29 -0700
To: <books@logan.com>
Loganberry News November 2020

Like   Tweet
shopping-at-local-independent-bookstores-is-a-gift-to-community-822c44f312159284

Make It a November to Remember

Boo! There's nothing scarier than a national election during a pandemic, but we're still here, and hope to entice you with our spookiness rather than scaring you off! Our Haunted Bookshop Tours are all in good fun, well spaced and masked, and more ironic than scary.

Then we switch holiday gears, and that's even scarier. Perhaps you've heard tales about imminent supply chain hiccups this holiday season? We don't know what titles will be affected, but we're sure to run out of something this season, so try to order early. Phone, website, and email orders work too. Give us a budget to create a gift basket of books and tchotchkes around a theme, and we'll wrap it all up for you, too. Don't be scared. We'll get through this, and we value you more than ever.

haunted-house

The Haunted Bookshop

Halloween
Saturday, October 31, 2020, 5pm-7:30pm
~annual~
Calling trick-or-treaters big and small to join our Halloween tradition! Loganberry Books will transform into The Haunted Bookshop before your very eyes, complete with spooky sounds, literary characters, outdoor mayhem, and plenty of treats. The tour this year is both indoors and outdoors, but we'll keep you safe, even if we do give you a spook. One family unit (max. 6 people) at a time will be guided through the Haunted Bookshop. Hands to yourself; masks and costumes required!

download

Preorder and Save 20% + a Free Audiobook!

Barack Obama: A Promised Land
Publishing on Tuesday, Nov. 17 2020
~preorder sale~
President Obama's new memoir comes out November 17, and we KNOW you want to make sure you have a copy (or three) guaranteed the day they come out, and lined up for holiday gifts. We’re offering preorder customers a special price pretty darn close to the price a certain online retailer (ahem!) is offering (instead of the cover price of $45.00), but with the added bonus of supporting a community bookstore that, in its turn, supports change we can believe in.

PLUS: The wonderful folks at Libro.fm (our digital audiobook supplier) have a limited-time deal where, if you send them proof of preordering A Promised Land from us, they'll give you a free download of the audiobook version, read by Mr. Obama himself! Learn how to claim your free audiobook here.

Preorder the print book from Loganberry now!

red-power

Native American Heritage Month

~annual~
November is Native American Heritage Month! Come celebrate the diverse and resistant history of America's First Peoples by discovering a range of books by indigenous authors, all 10% off throughout the month of November.

073c05043f5456a67849ab1fafd970eb

Virtual Author Talk = Q&A

Rust: A Memoir of Steel and Grit by Eliese Colette Goldbach
~Event Presented by P.E.O.~
Saturday, November 14, 2020, 1pm EDT
~online~
Join the P.E.O. (The Philanthropic Educational Organization) for a free virtual author talk and conversation with Eliese Goldbach, whose new memoir, Rust, explores her experience as a steelworker and as a writer in Cleveland. Register for the free event here.

P.E.O. is a philanthropic organization where women celebrate the advancement of women; educate women through scholarships, grants, awards, loans, and stewardship of Cottey College and motivate women to achieve their highest aspirations.

You can purchase a signed copy of Rust from Loganberry here!

s583203265801524836 p1251 i1 w2560

Naturalists Notebook

J. Drew Lanham: Home Place: Memoirs of a Colored Man's Love Affair with Nature
Sunday, November 15, 2020, 1pm-3pm
Co-Sponsored with the Shaker Lakes Nature Center
~quarterly~
J. Drew Lanham is a nature writer and professor of Wildlife Ecology at Clemson University not far from his childhood home. Home Place (10% off this month in store and online!) is Lanham's story of his family history, place, race, and being a Black naturalist. His love of words and writing are clearly evident in this memoir. Register for the free event here (donation optional)

Naturalist's Notebook is a quarterly reading and discussion group, read books about climate change, birding, gardening, fracking, agriculture and community, food -- anything that might touch on our natural world in a broad sense.

9780525658184

Reading & Revolution Book Club

Transcendent Kingdom by Yaa Gyasi
Saturday, November 14, 2020, 3pm *online*
~2nd Saturdays~
Reading & Revolution is a book club based out of Cleveland's Buckeye neighborhood (currently meeting online) that seeks to generate conversation and action based on current and historic books that have documented the African American legacy and inspire thought for continued community actions.
Visit the club's Facebook page for information on how to join.

This month R&R Book Club will be reading Transcendent Kingdom by Yaa Gyasi, available at 20% off this month!

7215552f3f3009ce9e6185d82927eeb2102ee5d3

Lines from Loganberry Podcast

Wednesdays at 7pm
Mark your calendars for Harriett's upcoming interview with Loganberry favorite: Ross Gay! Poet and gardener, writer and educator, he is the author of The Book of Delights, A Catalog of Unabashed Gratitude, and Be Holding. That podcast is set to launch on November 17.

Also a recording of our Black Future Month lecture by *Dr. Monica Bell of Yale Law School on Confronting Policing as a Segregationist Tool and Imagining an Anti-Segregationist Future.* This special event was a highlight of Black August for us, and if you missed tuning in live, now is the perfect time to listen.

Lines from Loganberry is the official Loganberry Books podcast! You can listen on Spotify and on Anchor.

IMG 0301

Collectible Books for Every Budget

A little bit of Sendak like you've never seen! This darling little paperback 1st edition of Seven Little Monsters by Maurice Sendak will do the trick and be a treat for any Sendak lover in your life! We continue to expand and update our collectible editions listings online weekly. You can also email wendy@logan.com for a personalized suggestion for any budget!

9VtEvS25ksk1qLsJy2vJX4hjsYdNXpR6HdZkfxUzo67jfPNaK0cbLgZ0NyxxU-zJHdZUU2SfB9NmXOY88MwQVlldk0GnrQDltA-F

Private Browsing Hours

Available Select Sundays & Mondays
~now through Thanksgiving~
We know many of you have always dreamed of having Loganberry to yourself, and with pandemic concerns, this desire is a bit more pressing for some. We're now offering the option to reserve a private browsing evening for up to 6 people on Sunday evenings 6pm-8pm. The registration fee is $40, an amount fully applicable to all book purchases made during this time. Please note that masks are required while browsing. Contact john@logan.com to reserve your browsing slot today!

Holiday-Open-House

Otis' Old Curiosity Shop

Thanksgiving Weekend 2020-January 15, 2021
~annual~
It's been a year like none other, but we're thankful to be able to still invite you to our most popular offering of the season: Otis' Old Curiosity Shop, chock-full of stocking stuffers, local art, toys, games, and more. We'll also be offering a range of gifty items in our web store this year, so even if you're not able to make it in to the shop, you can still bring home a few of Otis' Favorite Things.

purple-present-box-isolated-27074455

Other ways to shop Loganberry

Book of the Month Club: Did you know that we hand-select and mail books directly to your door even when there's not a pandemic on? Our Book of the Month Club has been running for over 20 years. If you'd like to sign up or ask any questions, please email julie@logan.com.

Gift Certificates: You can order a gift certificate for yourself or a loved one online or over the phone.

Digital Audiobooks: Our Libro.fm store offers thousands of digital audiobooks for instant download--and the good feeling that comes from supporting Loganberry with your purchase.

Buy Ebooks from Loganberry: While a paper book you can hold in your hand will always hold first place in our hearts, we know there are important things an ebook can offer, and that many of our loyal customers sometimes need an ebook. So we're thrilled to announce the Loganberry Ebook Store via Hummingbird!.

loganberries art circles

Loganberry Swag

You need a way to carry all those books you added to your collection during social distancing! Just a reminder that the Loganberry 25th anniversary tote is the best in the galaxy, with extra long handles, a deep gusset, button closure, and most importantly, Otis' face. We've also got aprons, bumper stickers, and smaller stickers! All available online.

COMING SOON: A whole new line of "berry good" Loganberry merch with the image shown here, including more fleece, long-sleeve T-Shirts, mugs (often requested, rarely available) and more! Watch this space...

0

Our Social Media

Hopefully, you're already following us on *Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and the Loganberry Blog.* Loganberry booksellers continue posting fun recommendations of new items available to order, what they're reading during the pandemic, and contributions from local authors and artists.

img mouseover3

Loganberry Books Blog

Do read our blog? We try to keep it regularly updated with reading recommendations and bookseller musings, so if you want even more ideas of what to read next, bookmark Loganberryblog and stop by often!

Read along with our booksellers

(purchase any book by clicking on its title!)

9780593099605

*Miesha is reading: The Year of the Witching by Alexis Henderson*: If you’re fan of gothic literature, tales of cult-like religion, examinations of race and misogyny, and powerful witches, then I can guarantee that you’ll love Alexis Henderson’s debut novel. Henderson has crafted a terrifying, heart-pounding, and surprisingly romantic feminist fantasy that you’ll tear through in a day.

818pwYklliL

Wendy is reading Sisters by Daisy Johnson "Two sisters and their mother take refuge in a dilapidated house by the sea in England, following an incident back in the city that has left them all forever changed. Things are not what they seem on the surface, and as past and present events unfold, the surprising and shocking truth emerges. ."

1292169. UY200

Elisabeth is reading Vindication: A Life of Mary Wollstonecraft by Lyndall Gordon: This biography of Mary Wollstonecraft--pioneering philosopher, feminist, anarchist and mother of Mary Shelley, who wrote Frankenstein, is hands-down my favorite biography, ever. Its depth of human understanding, richness of character and page-turning qualities (shipwrecks! treasure! narrow escapes!) are unparalleled)

9780062338068

*Miranda is reading: Truly Devious by Maureen Johnson* Perfect for fans of atmospheric mysteries, this story follows Ellingham Academy student, Stevie Bell, as she uncovers a mystery from 1930 as well as mysteries in the present day.

9780143121169

Freddy is reading: Rules of Civility by Amor Towles: For lovers of A Gentleman in Moscow, this is Towles first and only other novel. Set in NYC and taking place in the late 1930's, this "snappy" period piece follows a clever heroine who makes her way to the big city to change her future forever. Towles same great writing will grab you once again and will help us all bear the wait until his next book. Also, since it's set around New Year's Eve, it makes for magical holiday reading!

9781328528520

Sarah is reading: Surrender by Ray Loriga: This strange and disturbing novel (translated from the Spanish) about a dystopian future in a fictional country, ten years after a war that no one understands. There are so many different ways to read this novel and what it says about governments, privacy, our need to feel safe and secure, and what we are capable of doing to each other and ourselves.

9780307957894

Leigh is reading: What It's Like to Be a Bird by David Allen Sibley: "This fabulously illustrated book by renowned bird expert David Allen Sibley is full of wonderful details of bird life and is the perfect gift for any birder or naturalist on your holiday list. Get your signed copy now while they last!."

9781984815682

Julie is reading: Fighting Words by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley: This is an intense but incredibly tasteful, well-written novel for middle grade readers, dealing with topics like sexual abuse, consent, mental illness, poverty, bullying and addiction. It deals with these subjects in a compassionate, but realistic way.

Reminders on our ongoing pandemic precautions:

Loganberry is now open to customers Tuesday-Saturday, 10am-6pm with the following guidelines in place:
• 10am-11am reserved for immuno-compromised and senior customers
• Face-coverings required at all times
• Minimum spacing of 6 feet between people
• Limited to 25 people in the store at any time, and 3 people per alcove or seating area
• We will not be buying used books from the public for the rest of this year. Special collections, estates, or rare books may contact book buyer Brenda (brenda@logan.com) directly to assess potential interest.
• While the pandemic is ongoing, all sales are non-refundable/exhangable
• Hang in there! We appreciate your business, and we're all in this together.

Thanks for reading,
Harriett & all the Loganberries