From: Loganberry Books <elisabeth@logan.com>
Subject: Loganberry News April 2021
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 12:33:54 -0700
To: <books@logan.com>
Loganberry News April 2021

Like   Tweet
shopping-at-local-independent-bookstores-is-a-gift-to-community-822c44f312159284

Loganberry News April 2021

Earth and Poetry

Happy spring! I like to joke that spring is when the color yellow is reborn. When I think of yellow, I think of sunshine (hooray), daffodils at Lake View Cemetery, busy busy honeybees, marshmallow peeps (happy Easter), goslings, forsythia (our usual centerpiece for the Edible Books Festival—online again), flying dandelions (ok, they’re goldfinch, Bird is the Word), kosher Coca-cola with yellow caps (happy Passover), Amanda Gorman’s wool coat (her first book is out now and it's yellow, too!), caution tape, Charlotte Perkins Gilman, Coldplay, yellow cello (violin?), Big Bird, sunflowers, bananas, cheese, Yellow Submarine, school buses, smiley faces, and the primary happy color. Hello, Yellow (join us for Independent Bookstore Day 04/24)! Welcome, April. Welcome, yellow.

Events

sale sign 2-430x389

Monthly Sale

In honor of National Poetry Month, we'll be offering 20% off all books in our adult OR children's poetry sections all month long! Every month is poetry month as far as we're concerned, so be sure to stock up for a year's worth of reading.

Cake with book 2

2020 Best in Show Winner "Le Cirque des Rêves" by Isabel Robertson

Edible Books Festival

Friday, April 2, 12pm-Saturday, April 3, 12pm ET
~online, via Instagram~
We're keeping the Edible Books Festival virtual, but this year taking it to social media! Although we'll miss the chance to taste all the beautiful creations, we're still excited to see what you cook up. We hope you'll still cook up some edible creations inspired by books (see last year's entries for inspiration!).

Here's what you do:
1. Create an edible masterpiece inspired by books or a particular book.
2. Take a photo.
3. Post the photo on Instagram* anytime from Friday, 4/2 noon ET to Saturday 4/3 noon ET, tag @loganberrybooks AND use the HT #ediblebooks2021. (this is how we'll be able to share your photos!)
4. We will share the photo with our audience and ask them to vote how much they love it. Voting takes place over 24 hours.
5. Winners and some honorable mentions will be announced on Monday, 4/5!

The top three picks will receive Loganberry gift certificates and Edible Books Aprons!

*Email elisabeth@logan.com by 11am on Friday 4/2 with your entry photo and title if you don't have Instagram, and we'll happily share the image for you!

beth 3

Annex Gallery

Beth Nilges-Nehamkin: Inspired by Nature
April 5-30, 2021
~monthly exhibition~
Come celebrate the colors of spring with a new show from Beth Nilges-Nehamkin, on view and for sale in the Loganberry Books Annex Gallery throughout April.

Nature has always been a fundamental source of inspiration for work Beth Nilges-Nehamkin. From nature comes spirituality and an inner emotional vision. Her favorite subjects are the things she loves from the natural world: people, animals, birds and spiritual visions and yearning. Beth's work is intuitive and spontaneously done. Her inner spirit dictates and guides brush and pen, choosing her color and form.

broadsides-s

Broadsides & Ephemera

Featured Reader: Camilla Jean Welsch
Wednesday, April 8, 2021, 7:30pm, ET
~Second Wednesdays, on Zoom~
Our featured reader this month is Camilla Jean Welsch! Camilla Jean is a Cleveland Heights native and former Heights Tiger (’99). She attended Cornell University, Universitaet Heidelberg (Germany),and Cleveland State University (M.Ed.). Favorite topics for her poems include: God/Jesus, love, race,justice, peace, funny stuff, heartache, triumph… and pretty much any combination of those things. Check out her work in advance at camillajean.com

Join us here on Zoom and use the password "weluvotis" to enter.

51mX apu07L. SX381 BO1 204 203 200

Book Talk

Gary Meiter: Bird is the Word: An Historical Perspective on the Names of North American Birds
Monday, April 12, 2021, 7pm ET
~online, via CMNH~

Participants must register here via The Cleveland Museum of Natural History

Join the Museum's Dr. Andy Jones, Curator of Ornithology, and author Gary Meiter for a lively discussion of Mr. Meiter’s recent book, Bird is the Word: An Historical Perspective on the Names of North American Birds.

Bird is the Word is a comprehensive compilation of the names of almost 800 North American birds—and of how, when, where, and by whom those names were created. In a conversation with Dr. Jones, Mr. Meiter will share some of the fascinating stories behind the naming of North America’s diverse avifauna and explain how he came to write the book. Afterward, Mr. Meiter and Dr. Jones will take your questions. Signed copies of Bird is the Word will be available to audience members through the Museum’s partnership with Loganberry Books.

DSC00930-Edit

Preschool Storytime

Meet the Violin Storytime with Miss Amara
Featuring in April: Musical Poetry
Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 11am
~Third Wednesdays, via Facebook Live~
Calling preschoolers ages 3-6 and their grownups for a virtual musical storytime with violinist and Suzuki educator Amara Sperber featuring the violin! Ms. Amara reads favorite stories and also introduces you to the beautiful sounds of the violin and some skills to help you learn to play the violin yourself.
Join us for the event of Facebook Live at 11am on March 17!

Amara Sperber is a Cleveland-based violin teacher currently accepting new violin students ages 5-8. Visit amarasperber.com for more information!
Order a copy of one of our favorite violin storybooks, Vio's Violin, from Loganberry Books!

81 kCu7EHyL

Not YA Average Book Club

Legendborn by Tracy Deonn
Thursday, April 22, 2021, 4pm ET
~online, via Zoom~
Please join us for Loganberry Books' new Teen Book Club: Not YA Average Book Club, open to teens age 15-18! This month we'll be reading Legendborn by Tracy Deonn, an urban fantasy thriller inspired by the King Arthur legends.

We'll have a fun discussion and an even more fun activity (please have a writing utensil and paper ready- don't worry this won't be your average classroom activity) Click here to register for the book club.

IBD-NEW-Logo-Version2-300px

Independent Bookstore Day

Saturday, April 24, 2021, 10am-6pm
~annual~
We're so happy to be able to welcome you back in person for Independent Bookstore Day 2021--especially after the enormous support you've given Loganberry in this past, incredibly challenging year. We'll have some of the very special limited edition IBD merchandise you've come to know and love, giveaways, gifties, and general celebration! Now more than ever before, IBD is a celebration of the community we make together.

NOBS Forum

Zines? Outlandish!
Thursday, April 22, 7:30pm, EDT
~online, via Zoom~
What are zines? Are they collectible? How are they different than ephemera? Join Kyle Osborne, founder and publisher of Cleveland-based Outlandish Press, who will talk about their history, their importance, his Press and why everyone should make one.

Non-NOBS members interested in attending: email Freddy@logan.com and a Zoom link will be provided before the event.

Other Offerings

md5232827379

Collectible Books for Any Budget

We can't think of any better way to celebrate a month both about Earth AND Poetry than with this very special signed, still in its shrink-wrap, limited first edition of Alice Walker's Her Blue Body Everything We Know: Earthling Poems 1965-1990. We continue to expand and update our collectible editions listings online weekly. You can also email wendy@logan.com for a personalized suggestion for any budget!

images

Lines from Loganberry Podcast

We started our podcast during the depths of the pandemic to feature author interviews, book club chats, craft talks, and so many budding ideas. Some of our episodes are taped & edited conversations, and some are the audio recordings from Zoom events (finally, a way to archive live author events!). Many of the events listed in this newsletter will later be available as podcast episodes, and here are some available now from last month’s meetings:

Ross Gay, The Book of Delights and R. Erica Doyle, proxy
Kathryn D. Sullivan, Handprints on Hubble
Julia Kuo, I Dream of Popo
Elizabeth Wilcox, The Long Trail of Trauma

Lines from Loganberry Podcast is available on Anchor, Apple Podcasts, Spotify

9VtEvS25ksk1qLsJy2vJX4hjsYdNXpR6HdZkfxUzo67jfPNaK0cbLgZ0NyxxU-zJHdZUU2SfB9NmXOY88MwQVlldk0GnrQDltA-F

Private Browsing Hours

Available Select Sundays & Mondays
We know many of you have always dreamed of having Loganberry to yourself, and with pandemic concerns, this desire is a bit more pressing for some. We're continuing to offer the option to reserve a private browsing time for up to 8 people on Sundays and Mondays. The registration fee is $40, an amount fully applicable to all book purchases made during this time. Please note that masks are required at all times while browsing. Contact john@logan.com to reserve your browsing slot today!

64fdc0cd84df37be08c4f9926cf9faca

We're Buying Used Books Again!

Our procedure has changed, though, so please be sure to read our new guidelines.

Thanks for your patience and support as we navigate changed (and changing!) conditions. We look forward to seeing your books!

purple-present-box-isolated-27074455

Ways to shop and support Loganberry

Our Online Store: We're expanding our in-store stock of new and collectible books for sale online every week! Since it's only a fraction of what we have in-store, if you don't see something, email or call and we'll happily check. You can also snag great Loganberry T-shirts, totes, mugs, and more!

Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!

Book of the Month Club: We've been hand-selecting and mailing books to readers monthly for for 25 years! If you'd like to sign up or ask any questions, please email julie@logan.com.

Gift Certificates: You can order a gift certificate for yourself or a loved one online or over the phone.

Digital Audiobooks: Our Libro.fm store offers thousands of digital audiobooks for instant download--and the good feeling that comes from supporting Loganberry with your purchase.

Buy Ebooks from Loganberry: So we're thrilled to announce the Loganberry Ebook Store via Hummingbird!.

Follow us on Social Media: Get the latest on events, new and rare books and shop-cats by following us on *Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and the Loganberry Blog.*

Read along with our booksellers: National Poetry Month

purchase any book by clicking on its title!

51QOTh7rnpL. SX258 BO1 204 203 200

*Harriett is reading: A Fortune for Your Disaster by Hanif Abdurraqib*: "The beauty of Hanif's poetry is how he can start with a specific and make it universal, and then snap it back to make you understand that his personal is, after all, your personal, because it is all part of the universal experience, and that flowers don't choose where and when to bloom, they just bloom. And flowers are for everyone."

9781324015826

*Wendy is reading Ghostways by Robert Macfarlane and Dan Richards and illustrated by Stanley Donwood:*. "This book contains two essay-length prose-poems about 'journeys in unquiet places' in England. The first, 'Ness,' describes a stretch of land on the coast that was used by the British government to conduct secret weapon tests. It has a claustrophobic dystopian feel to it. The second, 'Holloway,' describes a path that has been walked upon for so many centuries that the landscape has actually been altered. "

download

Miesha is reading: American Sunrise by Joy Harjo "I love how US Poet Laureate Joy Harjo sees beauty, rebirth, pain, and loss in every moment."

1707992

Elisabeth is reading The Wild Iris by Louise Gluck: "This is one of my desert island books--one I'm never NOT reading. In this, her Pulitzer Prize-winning collection, Glück speaks of everything from life and death to marriage and boredom in the voices of the flowers as they emerge with the spring. I read it all year long, but it's especially well-suited for springtime reading!"

download-1

Julie is reading: Home Body by Rupi Kaur: "As a woman, I could really identify with the feelings that she describes in her beautiful poetry (her other stuff is good too!)"

9781487007799

*Lorraine is reading: The Lost Spells written by Robert MacFarlane, illustrated by Jackie Morris.* "I really liked this strong work that came out last year: Engaging language, word play, some humor. Beautiful, playful illustrations."

9780393355116

Sarah is reading: Selected Poems by Adrienne Rich: "I always turn to Adrienne Rich when I need something poetic and chewy."

91iDI-gLXJL

Freddy is reading: Wendell Berry's poetry. "When I read, I can almost hear Berry reading this in his slow way which both calms me and makes me feel part of the bigger world.

Reminders on our ongoing pandemic precautions:

Loganberry is now open to customers Tuesday-Saturday, 10am-6pm with the following guidelines in place:
• Face-coverings required at all times
• Minimum spacing of 6 feet between people
• Limited to 25 people in the store at any time, and 3 people per alcove or seating area
• While the pandemic is ongoing, all sales are non-refundable/exhangable
• Hang in there! We appreciate your business, and we're all in this together.

Thanks for reading,
Harriett & all the Loganberries