From: Loganberry Books <loganberrybooks@gmail.com>
Subject: Loganberry News July 2021
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 08:16:41 -0700
To: Harriett Logan <books@logan.com>
Loganberry News July 2021

Like   Tweet
shopping-at-local-independent-bookstores-is-a-gift-to-community-822c44f312159284

Loganberry News July 2021

Every read can be a beach read!

July is National Parks and Recreation Month! Here's hoping you get out to explore and delight in the great outdoors, whether it's your own garden or the grandest of Grand Canyons. Either way, we've got the books to take with you, for backyard pleasure or historical enrichment (if you need an up-to-date guide book, best to give us a few days notice to get the right one for you). Might we also recommend a letter writing campaign? Who doesn't appreciate a hand-written note? (And you know we have great stationery). Enjoy your summer, and let us know what beach reads really rock your boat.

Events

sale sign 2-430x389

Monthly Sale

Americana! Through the month of July, all books in our Americana section will be 20% off: While this includes American history and Presidential biographies, it also holds treasures like African American writing, books on Immigration studies, Native American studies, state-by-state travel guides, and more!

first-fridays

Larchmere First Friday

July 2, 2021, 6-9pm
~First Friday of the Month~
Walkabout on Larchmere on First Fridays! Many shops and eateries will be open late, some 'til 10:00PM! Come see how the neighborhood has changed and even thrived, with new merchants and new services. Loganberry will be open until 9:00, with a chance to browse books late and enjoy the opening of the new Annex Gallery exhibit by Kenneth Bernstein.

LMA-holiday-art-s

Larchmere Positivity Fest

Saturday, July 3, 2021, 10am-5pm
~annual~
A reinvention of the good old Larchmere Festival, this year as Positivity Fest! Held on July 4th weekend up and down the Boulevard, this will be a celebration of community and fun, with vendors, music, food, and more. Interested vendors can call 800-975-0731 for more information.

3 tthe ritz 2

Annex Gallery

Ken Bernstein Audubon and Social Realism
July 1-31, 2021
~monthly exhibition~
Opening Reception on Friday, July 2, 6-8pm
We're thrilled to welcome artist Kenneth Bernstein for a showing of his two combined series, Audubon In the Time of COVID and Social Realism in the Time of Insurrection, on view and for sale in the Annex Gallery through the month of June. The Audubon pastels are a statement about the assault on the environment and attempts to preserve its existence amid rapidly disappearing native surroundings. The Social Realism paintings reflect Bernstein's time in Washington, D.C. during Reagan Era where he witnessed marches for political justice and economic relief.

Ken Bernstein, born in Cleveland, studied painting at the Maryland Institute College of Art, Baltimore and at the Cape School of Art, Provincetown, MA, and owned an art gallery on Long Island before returning Cleveland.

broadsides-s

Broadsides & Ephemera

Featured Reader: Mimi Plevin-Faust
Wednesday, June 10, 2021, 7:30pm, ET
~Second Wednesdays, via Zoom~
This month features Mimi Plevin-Faust! Mimi is the winner of the Gordon Square Review Inaugural Poetry Contest. Her poems and articles can be found in Carve Magazine, LearnVest/Forbes.com, Forge Journal, POZ Magazine, Two Cities Review, and many other journals. She writes poems to speak truth to power, explore the lovely wackiness of life, and tell individual stories of courage and grace.

Join us to enjoy Mimi's poetry, and feel free to share your own work at the following Open Mic!

Direct Link: Broadsides and Ephemera July 2021
Zoom ID: 664 283 9349 pw:weluvotis

81mSNsiLjLL

Not YA Average Book Club

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Thursday, July 22, 2021, 4pm ET
~4th Thursdays, online, via Zoom~
The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night. But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love. True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.

Not YA Average Book Club (NYABC) is anything but average! Open to teens age 15-18. We will have a fun discussion and an even more fun activity (please have a writing utensil and paper ready- don't worry this won't be "ya average" classroom activity!) Register to join the free event here.

NOBS Forum

200 Years & Counting: Why We Still Love Jane Austen with JoAnne M. Podis, Ph.D.
Thursday, July 22, 7:30pm
JoAnne M. Podis, Emerita Professor of English, Ursuline College, has a particular interest is in Jane Austen's novels and uncovering the reasons behind this 200-year-old fascination. She will focus on the values and themes that permeate Austen's books and adapted movies and continue to resonate today.

If you need a link to attend email Freddy@logan.com and a Zoom link will be provided before the event!

AA

Author Alley

We’re reinvented the full scale Author Alley event to take place over four weekends in August (with one special poetry night!). Each Saturday we’ll feature a dozen local writers outside in our “alley,” each weekend focused by genre.

Mark your calendar for these weekly celebrations of local authors!
Saturday, August 7, 12-4pm: BIPOC Authors:
Keynote authors: Felicia Zomara, author of I Always Carry My Bones, winner of the 2020 Iowa Poetry Prize and Ali Black, author of If It Heals at All and recipient of the Academy of American Poets University & College Poetry Prize.
THURSDAY, August 12, 4pm-8pm: Broadsides & Ephemera Poetry Showcase: Our 4-hour extravaganza will feature several local poets, and please feel free to stop by and share your own poetry or writing during the Open Mic portion!
Saturday, August 14, 12-4pm: Fiction: Keynote author: Paula McLain, author of When the Stars Go Dark, New York Times bestseller The Paris Wife, and many more.
Saturday, August 21, 12-4pm: Nonfiction: Keynote authors are Brandy Schillace, author of Mr. Humble and Dr. Butcher and Betty Weibel, author of The Ohio Literary Trail.
Saturday, August 28, 12-4pm: Illustrated Books: We'll feature graphic novels, comics, art books, and illustrated children’s books. The keynote writer is Derf Beckderf, author of Kent State and My Friend Dahmer.

Other Offerings

Steinem cover with dj

Collectible Books for Any Budget

What better way to get ready for fun and sun than with feminist icon Gloria Steinem and this 1963 1st edition of The Beach Book? It's a snarky compendium of 1960s leisure activities complete with a dust jacket that can double as a sun-reflector (yikes! please wear SPF!) .We continue to expand and update our collectible editions listings online weekly. You can also email wendy@logan.com for a personalized suggestion for any budget!

64fdc0cd84df37be08c4f9926cf9faca

You're Selling Books? We're Buying!

The used book trade is as old as books themselves. Moving? Upgrading? Clearing an estate or your kid’s room? Sell us your used books! Click here for the 2021 protocols.

purple-present-box-isolated-27074455

Ways to shop and support Loganberry

Our Online Store: We're expanding our in-store stock of new and collectible books for sale online every week! Since it's only a fraction of what we have in-store, if you don't see something, email or call and we'll happily check. You can also snag great Loganberry T-shirts, totes, mugs, and more!

Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!

Book of the Month Club: We've been hand-selecting and mailing books to readers monthly for for 25 years! If you'd like to sign up or ask any questions, please email julie@logan.com.

Gift Certificates: You can order a gift certificate for yourself or a loved one online or over the phone.

Digital Audiobooks: Our Libro.fm store offers thousands of digital audiobooks for instant download--and the good feeling that comes from supporting Loganberry with your purchase.

Buy Ebooks from Loganberry: So we're thrilled to announce the Loganberry Ebook Store via Hummingbird!.

Follow us on Social Media: Get the latest on events, new and rare books and shop-cats by following us on *Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and the Loganberry Blog.*

Read along with our booksellers: "Beach Reads" Reinvented

Purchase any book below by clicking on its title!

41VjATPHeaL. SX327 BO1 204 203 200

*Harriett is reading When the Stars Go Dark by Paula McLain*: "Taking a detour from historical fiction, McLain’s latest is a thriller on par with the best. Action, intrigue, mystery, murder, with a slice of heartache and romance rolled in. Perhaps the best part of this P. I. mystery is that the life most saved is that of the investigator."

9780593340141

Sarah is reading The Madhouse at the End of the Earth: The Belgica’s Journey into the Dark Antarctic Night by Julian Sancton: "Yes, it’s a long title, but perfectly fits the long, frigid years of this riveting Antarctic exploration—and horrific disaster. It’s perfect for a hot, humid summer day—and fans of The Endurance by Alfred Lansing, as well as other cold, dark polar expeditions."

715qIXvEYoL

Rachel is reading: Fearing the Black Body by Sabrina Strings "An important read for every body that traces the racist origins of societal and medical fatphobia back through decades and centuries, redefining the lens through which we perceive body weight, size, and shape."

814zn7N liL

Wendy is reading Sea Wife by Amity Gaige: "A couple and their young children take off on a sailboat from Panama in an effort to find adventure and draw closer. What actually in this novel happens is part thriller, part love story, and altogether enthralling."

91WwMwRQdfL

Miesha is reading Fatal Fried Rice by Vivien Chen (A Noodle Shop Mystery #7):"This delightful mystery series is set in Cleveland's west side and AsiaTown. Someone killed chef Margo Han at the local community college in Parma, OH. You will not put this page-turning mystery until hero Lana Lee and her friends find the culprit.

9780143104964

Elisabeth is reading Before the Sea Wind by Rachel Carson: "While best known for her world-changing book Silent Spring, Rachel Carson's life passion was the ocean, and I know of no greater sea-books than her ocean trilogy. This book, the first in the series, published in 1941, is the least known, but--wonder of wonders--is science writing that reads like a novel in which the ocean itself is the protagonist."

9781936932979 1e59b

Freddy is reading: The Living is Easy and The Wedding by Dorothy West] "Beach and vacation are synonymous for me, and I always love reading books about or by an author from the place I am going. This year it's Martha's Vineyard with its long, rich African American history. Dorothy West, famed Harlem Renaissance writer, lived and wrote on the Vineyard, and I'll be taking her books chronicling the lives of the upper middle class African Americans in the early 20th century."

9780451481597 ff6ed

Miranda is reading Screen Queens by Lori Goldstein:
"Three girls from wildly different backgrounds are teamed up at an elite tech incubator. Can they set aside their differences and selfish ambitions to become the first all female team to win the incubator? A fun read with just enough mystery to keep you totally engrossed."

9781501154867 2d9a9

Brenda is reading The Island of Sea Women by Lisa See: "This fascinating novel lets you experience 60 years of Korean history through the lives of a group of women who dive beneath the ocean in all weathers (often freezing) collecting fish and other sea creatures to provide for their families."

9780143120506

Julie is reading Moby Duck by Donovan Hohn: "This is one of my favorite books of all time and it is the true story of the author's search (as well as oceanographers and others) for 28,000 bath toys that were lost at sea. Full of facts, yet still a fun read, Hohn will suck you right into the realm of oceans."

Good to know:

Store Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 10am-6pm, Sunday 12-5pm
Closed Sunday, July 4
Masks still required
Social distancing appreciated
* It's so nice to see you again, thanks for stopping by!

Thanks for reading,
Harriett & all the Loganberries