From: Loganberry Books <loganberrybooks@gmail.com>
Subject: Loganberry News October 2021
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 21:30:56 +0000
To: Harriett Logan <books@logan.com>
Loganberry News October 2021

Like   Tweet
shopping-at-local-independent-bookstores-is-a-gift-to-community-822c44f312159284

Loganberry News October 2021

Hold on to your masks and hats, the busy season is upon us! We've already got a backlog of boxes lined up in the entryway -- you've heard about the supply chain issues, yes? That means we're ordering in bulk now, but expect the crunch to hit us hard sometime in early December on unknown titles (are you a betting person? that what this feels like! Order early, especially if you need a new title in quantity).

But right now, it's October, and we're celebrating National Cookbook Month (see below for raffle drawing), Kids' Book Choice Awards (hey kids, vote online for your favorites!), Banned Books Week (taking a shift from LGBTQ+ titles to anti-racist titles, what?), the beginning of fall, and Halloween. And that's just THIS month. We'll see you at the races!

PS: Please be sure to click the button below to weigh in on what night you'd like to shop late this holiday season!

Events

sale sign 2-430x389

Monthly Sale

All through October, any book in our History Alcove is 20% off. From prehistory to 21st century...so much time to read about, so little time in which to read!

151ef1e76e2f683cec7401b4cacefab8

National Cookbook Month

Recipe Share-o-matic!
~in store, October 1-31~
The season of harvest feasting is almost upon us! Help us celebrate cookbooks by contributing your own recommendations of a favorite book or a single recipe, and we'll display these in-store for others to discover.

Everyone who enters (excluding Loganberry staff) will be entered in a drawing for a $40 cookbook gift certificate, to be awarded in early November. Email entries also accepted at toni@logan.com! Limit 2 entries per person, no purchase necessary. We look forward to your mouth-watering recommendations!

first-fridays

Larchmere First Friday

October 1, 2021, 6-9pm
~First Friday of the Month~
Walkabout on Larchmere on First Fridays! With pumpkin spice in the air, it's a great time to explore Larchmere, grab a bite to eat, and keep on exploring. Many shops will be open late, including Loganberry (we'll be open until 9PM!), and did you know it's DARK at 9PM now?! Fear not: Fear not, it's not Halloween...YET.

9780679764144

Berry Good Book Club

Mary Taylor Simeti: On Persephone's Island
Wednesday, October 6, 7:30pm
~1st Wednesdays, via Zoom~
This month's bookseller host: Elisabeth
You already love our booksellers' recommendations: what could be better than a chance to come back after you've read what they recommend to talk about it? That's the idea behind our newest monthly book club, Berry Good Books. Every month, a different Loganberry Bookseller will recommend a favorite book and lead a discussion with community members!

Bookseller Elisabeth shares On Persephone's Island by Mary Taylor Simeti the lyrical memoir of an American woman who married a Sicilian man and moved to his family vineyard...but not for the reasons you think.

Stretching from October to October in one of the darkest years of modern Sicilian history, Mary Taylor Simeti's story is about raising compassionate children in dangerous times, community organizing to speak truth to power, and cherishing life even when it's not the life we planned.

Register here to join this free discussion and click here to purchase a copy of the book.

LV-My Ticket to Ride

Local Voices

Janice Mitchell: My Ticket to Ride: How I Ran Away to England to Meet the Beatles and Got Rock and Roll Banned in Cleveland
Sunday, October 10, 2021, 1pm
~in person at Loganberry~
In 1964, millions of girls daydreamed of running off to England in search of the Beatles. One 16-year-old from Cleveland actually did it. She became international news … and was punished for it. She didn’t speak of it for more than 50 years — until now.

Author Janice Mitchell will sign copies of her memoir My Ticket to Ride and talk Beatles with fellow fans. Stop in during Larchmere First Friday, enjoy Beatles talk and tunes — and wear fashions from your favorite Beatles era!

PBC-Harkup

Peculiar Book Club

Kathryn Harkup: Making the Monster: The Science Behind Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
Thursday, October 14, 2021 7pm ET
~2nd Thursdays + 4th Thursdays, via Zoom~
Finally, a book club for the Peculiars! Join host and local author of Mr Humble and Dr. Butcher, Dr. Brandy Schillace for book club dates with your favorite authors of strange history, medical marvels, and weird science.You'll get to meet the author and participate in the discussion–so come with questions!

For this edition, author Kathryn Harkup takes a thrilling and gruesome look at the science that influenced Mary Shelley’s classic Gothic novel, Frankenstein. Harkup will discuss her book, Making the Monster, and she will be sure to have some interesting insights into the science behind monsters. More information can be found on the Peculiar Book Club website. Register for the event here, and get a signed copy of the book from Loganberry's online store or call us at (216) 795-9800

broadsides-s

Broadsides & Ephemera

Community Open Mic featuring: Gloria Plevin
Thursday October 14, 7:30-9pm
~second Thursdays, via Zoom~

A prominent artist and essayist of Northeast Ohio and Chautauqua, NY, Gloria Plevin will share both art and writing from her recent book Gloria Plevin: Art & Essays and her forthcoming book Gloria Plevin: Treasures. Her short essays offer insight into her artistic process and funny or poignant reflections on art, nature, family,and her travels around the world. Gloria’s paintings and prints can be found in major museums and numerous other public and private collections.

Connect to the Zoom meeting here
Zoom Meeting ID: 664 283 9349 pw: weluvotis

Enjoy Gloria's performance and feel free to share your own work at the following Open Mic!

LV-Ali Black combo

Local Voices

Ali Black: If It Heals At All
Sunday, October 17, 1pm
~in person at Loganberry~
Please join us to welcome local writer Ali Black who will read from her debut poetry collection, If It Heals At All. Ali Black is the recipient of the Academy of American Poets University & College Poetry Prize for her poem “Kinsman.” Her work has appeared in December, jubilat, Lit Hub, The Offing and elsewhere. If It Heals At All, was selected by Jaki Shelton Green for the New Voices series at Jacar Press.

9781615198429

International Women's Air & Space Museum Book Talk

Samantha Cristoforetti: Diary of an Apprentice Astronaut
Sunday, October 17, 2021, 1pm
~online, via Zoom~
The International Women's Air & Space Museum (IWASM) and Loganberry Books are thrilled to welcome Astronaut Samantha Cristoforetti (dialing in from Russia!) to discuss her new book Diary of an Apprentice Astronaut in a conversation moderated by IWASM Trustee and Space Advisor, Marcy Frumker.

In her new book, Cristoforetti provides an intimate account of her first journey to the ISS, and guides the reader through becoming apprentice astronauts themselves. Cristoforetti is set to launch aboard the SpaceX Crew-4 mission in spring 2022 and will become the first ESA female commander of the International Space Station (ISS) during her upcoming space flight next year.

Register for the event here and purchase a copy of the book here!

LV-Why Labelle Matters

Local Voices

Adele Bertei: Why Labelle Matters
Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 6pm
~in person at Loganberry; we'll be open late!~
Performing as the Bluebelles in the 1960s, Patti LaBelle, Nona Hendryx, and Sarah Dash wore bouffant wigs and chiffon dresses, and they harmonized vocals like many other girl groups of the era. After a decade on the Chitlin Circuit, however, they were ready to write their own material, change their name, and deliver—as Labelle—an electrifyingly celestial sound and styling that reached a crescendo the release of Nightbirds and its most well-known track, “Lady Marmalade.” In Why Labelle Matters, Adele Bertei tells the story of the group that sang the opening aria of Afrofuturism and proclaimed a new theology of musical liberation for women, people of color, and LGBTQ people across the globe.

Bertei is the author of Peter and the Wolves, a short memoir of her rock and roll education. As a singer/songwriter, she has toured with, written songs for, and recorded as a backup vocalist for a diverse group of artists including Tears for Fears, Culture Club, and Whitney Houston.

they both die at the end

Not YA Average Book Club

Adam Silvera: They Both Die at the End
Thursday, October 28th, 4pm
~every other month, 4th Thursdays~
On September 5, a little after midnight, Death-Cast calls Mateo Torrez and Rufus Emeterio to give them some bad news: They’re going to die today.

Mateo and Rufus are total strangers, but, for different reasons, they’re both looking to make a new friend on their End Day. The good news: There’s an app for that. It’s called the Last Friend, and through it, Rufus and Mateo are about to meet up for one last great adventure—to live a lifetime in a single day.

We will have a fun discussion of the book and an even more fun activity (please have a writing utensil and paper ready- don't worry this won't be your average classroom activity!) Open to teens 14-18.

Purchase a copy of the book here and register to join here.

PBC-Schillace

Peculiar Book Club

Brandy Schillace: Mr Humble and Dr. Butcher Thursday, October 28, 2021 7pm ET
~2nd Thursdays + 4th Thursdays, via Zoom~
Finally, a book club for the Peculiars! Join host and local author of Mr Humble and Dr. Butcher, Dr. Brandy Schillace for book club dates with your favorite authors of strange history, medical marvels, and weird science.You'll get to meet the author and participate in the discussion–so come with questions!

For this special Halloween edition of the Peculiar Book Club, Brandy Schillace's own book, Mr. Humble and Dr. Butcher, will be in the spotlight. As an added bonus, Brandy will be joined by Frank Spotnitz, writer and producer of X-Files! Register for the event here, and get a signed copy of the book from Loganberry's online store or call us at (216) 795-9800

NOBS Forum

Stories of Ohio's Underground Railroad (RESCHEDULED from September)
Thursday, October 28, 2021, 7:30pm
~online, via Zoom~
Join NOBS, Fran Stewart, and Restore Cleveland Hope board member Jeanne Van Atta, as they recount Joan Southgate's 519-mile walk from Ripley, OH, to Canada, and onward to the creation of her dream: the restoration of the historic Cozad Bates house. Twenty years ago, Joan Southgate set off on a journey, during which she retraced the steps of the Underground Railroad from Southern Ohio to Canada. When she returned, she and local writer and historian Fran Stewart wrote a book, IN HER PATH, about her walk and the Underground Railroad in Ohio. Southgate’s walk and her book culminated most recently with the opening of the Underground Railroad Interpretive Center in July 2021.

If you need a link to attend email Freddy@logan.com and a Zoom link will be provided before the event!

haunted-house

The Haunted Bookshop

Sunday, October 31st, 5:00-8pm
~annual~
Every last day of October turns Loganberry Books into the Haunted Bookshop! Come experience the frights for yourself, in person, starting in Diagon Alley and winding into the Annex Gallery and exiting... somewhere outside. There will be spooky sounds and sights, led by our own literary tour guides. The world of books can be quite ... fascinating.

Pandemic version allows one family unit (max. 6 people) at a time, guided through the Haunted Bookshop (both indoors & out). Hands to yourself; masks and costumes required! The first hour has decidedly more light (sun hasn't set yet!), and fewer spooks (but as a literary-themed tour, none of it is particularly scary).

5-6pm for Gentle Ghouls
6-8pm for Robust Goblins

Looking Ahead...

Other Offerings

IMG 1471

Collectible Books for Any Budget

Conjuring Halloween nostalgia this month is the adorable 1976 picture book, Dorrie and the Halloween Plot! We continue to expand and update our collectible editions listings online weekly. You can also email wendy@logan.com for a personalized suggestion for any budget!

64fdc0cd84df37be08c4f9926cf9faca

You're Selling Books? We're Buying!

October 16 will be our last day for buying used books from the public in 2021, but be sure to make a reservation. Click here for the 2021 protocols.

purple-present-box-isolated-27074455

Ways to shop and support Loganberry

▪ Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books for sale online expands every week! Since it's only a fraction of what we have in-store, if you don't see something, email or call and we'll happily check. We also have great Loganberry T-shirts, totes, mugs, and more!
▪ Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
▪ Book of the Month Club: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for for 25 years! If you'd like to sign up or ask any questions, please email julie@logan.com.
▪ Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
▪ Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm
▪ Ebooks from Loganberry.
▪ Follow us on Social Media: **Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and the Loganberry Blog.**
Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books for sale online expands every week! Since it's only a fraction of what we have in-store, if you don't see something, email or call and we'll happily check. We also have great Loganberry T-shirts, totes, mugs, and more!
Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
Book of the Month Club: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for for 25 years! If you'd like to sign up or ask any questions, please email julie@logan.com.
Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm
Ebooks from Loganberry.
Follow us on Social Media: **Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and the Loganberry Blog.**

Read along with our booksellers: "Scary" Stories

Purchase any book below by clicking on its title!

9780062995087

Harriett is reading Garlic and the Vampire by Bree Paulsen: "This is a fun graphic novel for kids who think they don't like scary books, or who would rather just be outside with their garden friends. But sometimes strength comes from within, and you have just what it takes to drive away the scary demons, even if you aren't so sure yourself. Bonus: we have a cornucopia of Jellycat plush veggies who could make a stellar puppet show of this story!"

9781982113773

Wendy is reading Mr. Humble and Dr. Butcher by Brandy Schillace: "This is the true story of a Cleveland neurosurgeon obsessed with finding a way to transplant a human head onto another body. Be sure to catch the October 28th edition of Peculiar Book Club, where Dr. Schillace will be in conversation with Frank Spotnitz about her spooky book!"

9781328911247

Miesha is reading Friday Black by Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah: "In this collection of short stories, a dead-end job, a charity hospital, and a commercialized retail holiday become terrifying fodder for horror. Written with the despair of Kafka and the style of Shirley Jackson, this collection of short stories will satisfy readers of literary fiction and horror. For horror closer to home from Ohio writers, try Alex DiFrancesco’s Transmutation, Dana McSwain’s Roseneath, and JD Belcher’s Inescapable Consequence."

91Fgkx 9ZdL-1

*Leigh is reading: Relic by Preston and Child:* "The first book by this writing duo is as genre-bending as most of their books since! Set in the NYC Museum of Natural History, and fully exploring the labyrinth of creepy storage rooms and tunnels beneath the building, as well as forgotten areas of the city subway system, Relic includes a healthy dose of science and history while delivering a really good scare. Relic also introduces many characters that you can following in their subsequent books - be careful, you'll want to read them all!"

9780813927671

Elisabeth is reading I, Tituba by Maryse Conde: "If you think you know Salem...think again. This literary novel imagines the life and powers of a real-life Black Caribbean woman who was tried for witchcraft during the Salem Witch Trials of 1692."

9781617758768

Toni is reading: Creatures of Passage by Morowa Yejide: "One of the most original and haunting books I have read in a long time. The main character is a taxi driver in 1970s DC, who ferries lost souls. She is still grieving the loss of her brother, who was eaten by a shark in Anacostia River then went wandering in the afterlife. And that's only the beginning!"

9781683691976

Miranda is reading: This is Not the Jess Show by Anna Carey: "When an iPhone drops out of her friend's bag, Jess is confused because it's the 90's and iPhones won't be invented for another few years. A series of adventures leads Jess to realize her reality is not real, or even in the proper time."

71kgvTZyGRL

Julie is reading The Age of Surveillance Capitalism: The Fight for a Human Future at the New Frontier of Power by Shoshana Zuboff: "This is my top scary read of the past year. If you're an advocate of privacy of any sort, this is an especially terrifying read, as you will learn all about how data on all facets of our lives are being sold to the highest bidders. We aren't using a product when we use social media, we ARE the product!"

Good to know:

▪ Store Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 10am-6pm, Sunday 12-5pm
▪ Masks still required
▪ Social distancing appreciated
▪ It's so nice to see you again, thanks for stopping by!
Store Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 10am-6pm, Sunday 12-5pm
Masks still required
Social distancing appreciated
It's so nice to see you again, thanks for stopping by!

Thanks for reading,
Harriett & all the Loganberries