From: Loganberry Books <elisabeth@logan.com>
Subject: Loganberry News April 2022
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 20:44:06 +0000
To: Harriett Logan <books@logan.com>
Loganberry News April 2022

Like   Tweet
shopping-at-local-independent-bookstores-is-a-gift-to-community-822c44f312159284

Loganberry News April 2022

April is National Poetry Month AND Earth Month, so it’s a perfect time to find a fantastic book to read outside! Poetry books are on sale this month and this newsletter has a great roundup of staff picks on nature and climate to get you started. We have author events in-store and online and can't wait to round out the month with our annual Bookstore Holiday also known as Independent Bookstore Day. Who’s ready for a raffle or a Wordle Challenge to win some bookish prizes? Or, if you prefer cooking, enter our Edible Books Festival this weekend!

Events

LV-Our Team

Author Event

*Luke Epplin: Our Team: The Epic Story of Four Men and The World Series That Changed Baseball*
Friday, April 1, 2022, 4pm
~in-store~
Join author Luke Epplin to celebrate the paperback release of his book Our Team, the riveting story of four men—Larry Doby, Bill Veeck, Bob Feller, and Satchel Paige—whose improbable union on the Cleveland Indians in the late 1940s would shape the immediate postwar era of Major League Baseball and beyond.

Our Team traces the story of the integration of the Cleveland Indians and their quest for a World Series title through four key participants: Bill Veeck, an eccentric and visionary owner adept at exploding fireworks on and off the field; Larry Doby, a soft-spoken, hard-hitting pioneer whose major-league breakthrough shattered stereotypes that so much of white America held about Black ballplayers; Bob Feller, a pitching prodigy from the Iowa cornfields who set the template for the athlete as businessman; and Satchel Paige, a legendary pitcher from the Negro Leagues whose belated entry into the majors whipped baseball fans across the country into a frenzy.

ediblebooks enews

Edible Books Festival

Saturday, April 2, 2022, 1pm
~annual - online via Jotform~
One of the benefits of hosting the Edible Books Festival virtually is that you can prepare your entry anytime from anywhere. Send us your entries from Maine or Montana, and challenge your nieces from Georgia or old roommates in Seattle to join the fun!

As always, you are invited to construct completely edible creations inspired by books. We'll ask you to photograph the edible book (both by itself and with you in the photo) and use those photos to register via our web-form. We will donate $1 to the Cleveland Food Bank for each submission!

Entries may be made anytime now until 1pm EDT on Saturday, April 2. Voting will then commence for 24 hours via a voting form posted on our website as well as social media platforms (@loganberrybooks on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook) and other social media at that time, with winners announced on Sunday afternoon, April 3.

AA-Kraynak4

Annex Gallery

Scott Kraynak: A Restless Mind
April 1-30, 2022
~monthly~
Artist Opening Reception: Friday, April 8 from 6-8pm
This exhibit explores the extreme variety of Scott Kraynak's work and different subject matters: dark and creepy; political; beautiful; thought-provoking. Taken together, these works reflect different passions which inspire his work and life, as well as showcasing the different mediums and styles implemented in his work.

WHEN THE STARS GO DARK ppbk

Author Event

Paula McLain: When the Stars Go Dark, in conversation with Regina Brett
Tuesday, April 5, 8:30pm
~online, via Zoom~
Join us for a virtual event with Paula McLain in conversation with fellow local author Regina Brett to celebrate the paperback release of Paula's gripping mystery, When The Stars Go Dark. The New York Times says that When The Stars Go Dark is "The kind of heart-pounding conclusion that thriller fans crave . . . In the end, a book full of darkness lands with a message of hope.”

This event is in partnership with five other bookstores across the nation. To watch, just navigate to this page at 8:30pm EDT the day of the event!

Preorder the paperback of When The Stars Go Dark here.

midnight-library

Berry Good Book Club

Matt Haig: The Midnight Library
Wednesday, April 6, 7:30pm
~1st Wednesdays, via Zoom~
This month's bookseller host: Wendy, with special guest Rev. Rachel Hollander
When Nora feels that her life is not worth living, she attempts suicide but winds up in a library that exists between life and death. Each book in the library represents a life that Nora could have lived if she had made a different choice. Nora is faced with the most important decisions of all: does she want to live and, if the answer is yes, which path will she choose?

Bookseller Wendy says, "The Midnight Library has been on the NYT bestseller list for nearly two years! It incorporates a lot of ideas that the author has explored in both his non-fiction and fiction books. Also, it features a LIBRARY at its center, so how could I NOT pick it!"

Register here to join this free discussion and click here to purchase a copy of the book.

May's Berry Good Book Club (Wed. 5/4 at 7:30pm): These Violent Delights by Chloe Gong with Bookseller Miranda! Go ahead and register for the discussion here.

PBC-Santos

Peculiar Book Club

Half Lives: The Unlikely History of Radium
Thursday, April 7, 2022 7pm ET
~2nd Thursdays + 4th Thursdays, via Zoom~
Finally, a book club for the Peculiars! Join host and local author of Mr Humble and Dr. Butcher, Dr. Brandy Schillace, for book club dates with your favorite authors of strange history, medical marvels, and weird science.You'll get to meet the author and participate in the discussion–so come with questions!

For this edition of the Peculiar Book Club, Brandy is joined by Lucy Jane Santos, author of Half Lives: The Unlikely History of Radium. Half Lives tells the fascinating, curious, and sometimes macabre story of the element through its ascendance as a desirable item – a present for a queen, a prize in a treasure hunt, a glow-in- the-dark dance costume – to its role as a supposed cure-all in everyday twentieth-century life, when medical practitioners and business people (reputable and otherwise) devised ingenious ways of marketing the new wonder element and enthusiastic customers welcomed their radioactive wares into their homes.

Register for the event here and get signed copies of the books from Loganberry's online store or call us at (216) 795-9800

broadsides-s

Broadsides & Ephemera

Community Poetry Reading featuring: Kevin A. Risner
Thursday, April 14, 7:30-9pm ET
~second Thursdays, via Zoom~
Kevin A. Risner is the author of Do Us a Favor (Variant Literature, 2021), which pulls the reader into spaces that may feel all too familiar. All too unbelievable. And, yet, all too real. Borrowing text from the infamous phone call between Donald Trump and the Ukrainian president, this chapbook explores the world as it was before, during, and after 2020. His poems have recently been published in Idle Ink, Ink Drinkers, CP Quarterly, The Ocean State Review, Lucent Dreaming, and more.

Join us for a Q&A session with Kevin after the 30 minute reading!

Connect to the Zoom meeting
Zoom ID: 880 2936 1519 PW: weluvotis

https---cdn.evbuc.com-images-250294019-537487979019-1-original

Peculiar Book Club

Annalee Newitz & Colin Dickey
Thursday, April 21, 2022 7pm ET
~2nd Thursdays + 4th Thursdays, via Zoom~
This edition of the Peculiar Book Club features two authors: Annalee Newitz, author of Four Lost Cities: A Secret History of the Urban Age, and Colin Dickey, author of Unidentified: Mythical Monsters, Alien Encounters, and Our Obsession with the Unexplained.

Register for the event here, and get signed copies of the books from Loganberry's online store or call us at (216) 795-9800.

LV-Revolution of the Mind

Local Voices

MV Perry: A Revolution of the Mind
Sunday, April 24, 2022, 1pm
~in person at Loganberry~
A timely and relevant debut on mental illness in America. Boo Harvey is caught in a descent into Madness that nobody has the courage to look at. Boo’s trajectory seems inescapable until she meets Jude, a suicidal advocate for the mentally ill, who teaches her how to rail against the machines that work to render a whole class of Americans invisible. “…a complex and powerful work…A Revolution of the Mind hits hard…” -San Francisco Book Review,

MV Perry is from Winnetka, Illinois and holds a J.D. and a Master's in Public Policy and Administration with a concentration in Urban Mental Health Policy.

Golden age

Classic Crime Book Club

Led by Ellie Strong (proprietor of Strong Bindery)
Sunday April 30, 2pm ET
~last session of the series!~
Join Bookbinder (and veteran bookseller) Ellen Strong for a whirlwind tour of the classics of the Golden Age of Crime Writing (1920-1941). We'll meet virtually every other Sunday for the next few months to discuss this list of novels, inspired by this New York Times article.
4/24: Margery Allingham: The Death of a Ghost

*Join for any or all of the meetings! Register for the Zoom link here.*

9781643139494

Armchair (Time) Travelers Club

The Border by Erika Fatland
Monday, April 25, 2022, 7pm ET
~every other month, 4th Monday~
Join bookseller Toni for our newest book discussion group and embark on an ongoing adventure of exploration through space and time. Armchair (Time) Travelers Club will read current and classic travel, adventure, and world history. The club meets every other month on the fourth Monday.

Would you like to know more about the current events involving Ukraine and Russia? This month we’ll explore the people and places of the enormous Russian frontier. We’ll read The Border : A Journey Around Russia Through North Korea, China, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Ukraine, Belarus, Lithuania, Poland, Latvia, Estonia, Finland, Norway, and the Northeast Passage by Erika Fatland.

Register here for the Zoom conversation. Order a copy of the book here!

NOBS Forum

Amy Dawson: Collections of the Herb Society of America
Thursday, April 28, 2022, 7:30pm ET
~online, via Zoom~
Welcome spring by joining librarian, archivist, and educator Amy E. Dawson for a discussion of a collection of rare herbals and guidebooks owned by The Herb Society of America, located in Kirtland, Ohio. Learn more about The Society, which is dedicated to promoting the knowledge, use, and delight of herbs through educational programs, research, and sharing the expertise of its members with the community.

If you need a link to attend email Freddy@logan.com and a Zoom link will be provided before the event!

IBD2022-IG 1080x1080-01

Independent Bookstore Day 2022

It's one of the best days of the year for bookstore lovers: Independent Bookstore Day is back and we can't wait to celebrate with you!

Join Loganberry and hundreds of other Indie Bookstores across the country to celebrate the magic that happens in community bookstores with this Bookstore Holiday. We'll have special exclusive IBD merchandise, a Wheel of Fortune to spin for prizes, free tote bags with purchases over $100, raffles, and other goodies all day long. Please join us!

image0.jpeg

Author Event

Thin Places by Kerri ni Dochartaigh, in conversation with Margaret Renkl
Sunday, May 1, 2022 12pm
~online, via Zoom~
Loganberry Books is thrilled to host debut author Kerri ni Dochartaigh in conversation with New York Times contributor and Late Migrations author Margaret Renkl about Thin Places, Kerri's luminous memoir of growing up during The Troubles in Northern Ireland, heartbreak, family, and the solace of the natural world in times of violence: a gorgeous braid of “two strands, one wondrous and elemental, the other violent and unsettling, sustained by vividly descriptive prose” (The Guardian).

Tune in for this free conversation by registering here and preorder your copy of Thin Places from Loganberry here.

Trigiani-GoodLeftUndone

Author Event

Adriana Trigiani: The Good Left Undone
Wednesday, May 11, 7pm
~in-store~
Join us for a special evening with bestselling author Adriana Trigiani to celebrate her latest release, The Good Left Undone, publishing April 26!

This is a ticketed event: admission includes one copy of the book. To book a ticket, click here.

To order copies of the book for mailing or in-store pickup (without event ticket), click here.

In the halcyon days of the past, Domenica Cabrelli thrives in the coastal town of Viareggio until the day her beloved home becomes unsafe as Italy teeters on the brink of World War II. A hundred years later, her daughter, Matelda, and her great-granddaughter, Anina, face the same big questions about life and their family’s legacy as Matelda contemplates what is worth fighting for, and when to let go.

Epic in scope and resplendent with the glorious themes of identity and belonging, The Good Left Undone unfolds in breathtaking detail. Based on a meticulously researched true story, it is Adriana Trigiani’s opus.

Other Offerings

sale sign 2-430x389

Monthly Sales

Books in the Poetry section are 20% off this month! From Sappho to Tupac; from ancient haiku to the latest releases from young local poets--come celebrate National Poetry Month with this great sale!

0

Lit Cleveland

Reader Series: Kazuo Ishiguro with Loganberry Bookseller Toni
Saturday, January 22-Saturday June 25, 2022
~Ticketed class hosted by Lit Cleveland, 3rd Saturday of every month~
Read and revel in five novels and a book of short stories by the culture-crossing, genre-bending, Nobel Prize winning Kazuo Ishiguro, led by expert reader and Loganberry bookseller, Toni K. Thayer.

Register now for Session 2:
April 23: Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music & Nightfall (2009)
May 28: The Buried Giant (2015)
June 25: Klara and the Sun (2021)

Get more info about the class and enroll here!

9780593321447

Preorder and Save 10%!

If you've been enjoying the televised miniseries of Station Eleven, you won't want to miss out on author Emily St. John Mandel's new book, coming April 5! The Sea of Tranquility spans three hundred years of human loss and love: from a violinist in the Canadian forest in 1912 to a colony on the moon 300 years later--it's a beautiful novel not to be missed. And if you preorder now, you'll save 10% off the cover price and we'll have a signed copy waiting for you on April 5th.

PS: if you haven't read Station Eleven yet, why not start it now? It's been a firm Loganberry Books staff favorite for years!

bbb graphic

Broaden Your Bookshelf Reading Challenge

January 2022-January 2023
~year long~
Join us on a free yearlong reading adventure to read more, read deeper, read bigger, read wider.

2nd Quarter reading prompts will be announced in early April! Sign up now for a spring reading challenge and log books read to be entered into Q2 raffle to be drawn at the end of June.

▪ 20 prompts per quarter + quarterly prizes!
▪ Monthly updates, including a Bonanza map of logged book settings!
▪ Social media challenges! For more info click here.
20 prompts per quarter + quarterly prizes!
Monthly updates, including a Bonanza map of logged book settings!
Social media challenges! For more info click here.
Moore cover

Collectible Books for Any Budget

In celebration of National Poetry Month, this signed first edition of the collection Tell Me, Tell Me by great American poet Marianne Moore. We continue to expand and update our collectible editions listings online weekly--and our list of modern first editions is now fully listed online! You can also email wendy@logan.com for a personalized suggestion for any budget!

9781937513955

Local Voices New Releases

Brand new books by local authors available in-store or online!

No Beard or Bow Tie Required Cocktails for the Craft-Curious by Tim Harnett: Harnett advises makers of craft-cocktails on the essential tools of the trade, liquor definitions, and lively concoctions. SAVE THE DATE! for a special mixology event with Harnett at Loganberry on May 5 at 6:30pm! (Age 21+)

A Final Call by Eliot Parker: Parker’s mystery-thriller lurks in the underbelly of Cleveland crime with a tough Cleveland homicide detective determined to solve a murder.

milkweed editions logo 030619

Small Press Highlight

Milkweed Editions is Loganberry's small press highlight for April. Based out of Minneapolis, MN, Milkweed has been presenting some of the finest literary writing--with a special focus on poetry and nature writing--for the last 40+ years.

Make sure to tune in for our special virtual event with two Milkweed writers--NYT contributor Margaret Renkl and debut author Kerri ni Doughertaigh--on May 1 to celebrate the release of Kerri's powerful book on nature and the Northern Irish Troubles, Thin Places. We also love to recommend these Milkweed titles:
Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer: (one of Milkweed and Loganberry's top selling titles of all time!)
The Kissing of Kissing by Hannah Emerson: an ecstatic poetry collection and the inaugural title in Milkweed's new Multiverse series, presenting work by neurodivergent authors.
World of Wonders: In Praise of Fireflies, Whale Sharks, and Other Astonishments by Aimee Nezhukumatathil: A collection of bite-size animal essays complete with equally delightful animal illustrations!

64fdc0cd84df37be08c4f9926cf9faca

Got Books to Sell? We're Buying!

Please give us a sneak peek (call 216-795-9800 or books@logan.com) so we can get you registered before dropping off your books (required). You can check out our current protocols here

469-4698575 tall-stack-of-books-transparent-hd-png-download

Bulk Order Discounts

Does your church, synagogue, school, or company need to order 10 or more copies of a book for a group read or special event? Order from Loganberry and receive a discount! We can even deliver to your location free of charge! Contact elisabeth@logan.com for more details!

purple-present-box-isolated-27074455
▪ Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books
▪ Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
▪ Book of the Month Club: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for over 25 years!
▪ Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
▪ Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm
▪ Ebooks from Loganberry.
▪ **Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and the Loganberry Blog.**
Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books
Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
Book of the Month Club: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for over 25 years!
Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm
Ebooks from Loganberry.
**Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and the Loganberry Blog.**

Read along with our booksellers: Earth Month

Purchase any book below by clicking on its title!

4752724A

Harriett is readingThe Xerces Society's 100 Plants to Feed the Monarch: Create a Healthy Habitat to Sustain North America's Most Beloved Butterfly This incredible gardening book not only lists more milkweed species than you've ever heard of, it also highlights each plant on consistent, well designed pages so you can quickly identify which are in your gardening zone and match your soil and sun requirements. A huge section of native nectar sources follows (read: wildflowers), and I want them all. Really, this is a garden book to make you covet a prairie. There's a Xerces Society book for Bees, too! ""

9780316279291

Julie is reading: The Intersectional Environmentalist: How to Dismantle Systems of Oppression to Protect People + Planet by Leah Thomas: "This quick and easy read details the ways that classic environmental activism has left BIPOC people out of the discussion, and ideas on how to change the conversation to include everybody. Includes resources and an extensive bibliography/media recommendations."

9781615198801

Elisabeth is recommending A Thousand Ways to Pay Attention: A Memoir of Coming Home to My Neurodivergent Mind by Rebecca Schiller (out on 4/26)*: "Do you love books about trees? Did you love Wintering by Katherine May? Do you love a good mystery-memoir? (what's a mystery memoir? you ask). I had the great privilege to edit this groundbreaking memoir-cum-medical-mystery-cum-masterpiece of nature writing, and it publishes on April 26. British author Rebecca Schiller moved to a small farm in the English countryside and began to fall apart. Her surprising diagnosis of severe ADHD blends with her rhapsodic nature writing to create a hymn to--and manifesto for--our imperiled planet. Plus, If you preorder from Loganberry you'll receive a signed bookplate made with ink from the oak forest on Rebecca's plot!*

56898156. SY475

Sarah and Wendy are reading Girl In Ice by Erica Ferencik:"Strange, wondrous and immensely compelling, Girl In Ice follows Val, a linguist, who has come to a research facility in the Arctic circle where a young girl has been found frozen in the ice—and brought back to life. Val must find a way to communicate with this girl—and discover what killed her twin brother at this same place less than a year ago."

58312036. UY400 SS400

*Toni is reading Canopy: Poems by Linda Gregerson :* "This new collection of poems is about humanity and the natural world, and the interconnections between the individual, community, and environment. They are full of grief and rage and beauty and love. I heard Gregerson speak recently about how her poetry grows out of her sense of wonder. As she told a story of death, water, and the respiration of trees, the other poets on stage with her were utterly rapt, their faces full of awe. It was the best recommendation I've ever gotten for a book, and I pass it on. These poems are extraordinary."

9781250024114

*Freddy is reading: When Women Were Birds: Fifty-four Variations on Voice by Terry Tempest Williams* "All of Terry Tempest Williams' writings revolve around social and environmental justice and the protection of public lands beginning back in 1984. When Women Were Birds, one of my favorites, is best described with the following excerpt:

Once upon a time, when women were birds,
there was the simple understanding that
to sing at dawn and to sing at dusk
was to heal the world through joy.
The birds still remember
what we have forgotten,
that the world is meant to be
celebrated.

Good to know:

▪ Open Tues-Sat 10-6 and Sun 12-5
▪ Masks required
▪ It's so nice to see you, thanks for stopping by!
Open Tues-Sat 10-6 and Sun 12-5
Masks required
It's so nice to see you, thanks for stopping by!

Thanks for reading,
Harriett & all the Loganberries