From: Loganberry Books <loganberrybooks@gmail.com>
Subject: Loganberry News August 2022
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2022 16:02:31 +0000
To: Harriett Logan <books@logan.com>
Loganberry News August 2022

Like   Tweet
shopping-at-local-independent-bookstores-is-a-gift-to-community-822c44f312159284

Loganberry News August 2022

A most august author lineup

Our Local Author events have taken many different forms over the years, but we've been celebrating Author Alley summer gatherings for 15 years. Now split into three consecutive Saturdays, we are able to host more authors! Please come check out what your neighbors have been writing about -- we all have so much to say, and we need to celebrate all the different voices in so many styles and genres. It is a feast of plenty, and we're so honored to be the host.

Events

HavingFun

Annex Gallery

Shari Wolf
August 1-31, 2022
Opening reception on Thursday, August 4, 6pm-8pm!
~first Thursdays~
A Cleveland native, Shari Wolf paints, draws, collages, sews, and creates artists’ books. She currently creates designs digitally on her iPad using Procreate. Her distinctive personal style is whimsical, expressing the vibrant spirit of her curious mind.

After graduating from The Rhode Island School of Design with a BFA in graphic design, Shari Wolf honed her creative skills as a designer and illustrator for American Greetings Corporation. She has exhibited her work in many local galleries, including, Brecksville Center for the Arts, Beachwood Community Center, The Morgan Conservatory, and The Mandel Jewish Community Center. She is an active member of the Textile Arts Alliance, Art Books Cleveland, and The Guild of Bookworkers.

PBC-Black

Peculiar Book Club

Riley Black: The Last Days of the Dinosaurs: An Asteroid, Extinction, and the Beginning of Our World
Thursday, August 4, 2022 7pm ET
~via Zoom~
For this edition of the Peculiar Book Club, Brandy Schillace will be joined by Riley Black, author of The Last Days of the Dinosaurs.

Riley Black joins Brandy for a VIP event (free to Peculiar Book Club subscribers, tickets available for sale to the public) featuring a Science Friday book club book! The Last Days of the Dinosaurs walks readers through what happened in the million years after asteroid impact.

Register for the event here and get signed copies of the book from Loganberry's online store.

author alley cropped 1

Author Alley

BIPOC Showcase
Saturday, August 6, 12pm-4pm
~in-store~
Loganberry’s BIPOC Author Showcase offers the Northeast Ohio reading community a unique opportunity to meet and discover work by authors who identify as Black, Indigenous, and/or People of Color.

Come meet Ticana Zhu, author of the Dynasty of Summer fantasy series; James Wingo, author of The Manners Playbook; LaBena Fleming, author of Caregiver to Caregiver and I Love You Always: One Family's Alzheimer's Journey; bilingual poet Kamatchi Devi Subramanian, author of Blank Slate and Moonshine; children's book author Nikki Gregory, and many more including: Kyra Ann Dawkins, Latonya Fenderson-Warren, LaBena Fleming, Carmen Hall, Amanda Harris, Valencia Joy, Donald King, Karen Mae, Nicole Miller, Denise Monique, Elana Pitts, Ashley Scott,
Cori Sykes, Chante Thomas, R.J. Voice, Mary Watson,
Anthony Webb, and Judy Jackson Winston.

Throughout the afternoon, we will celebrate the long poetic and lyric traditions of diverse artists with scheduled poetry readings on our LitArts stage.

PBC-Carter

Peculiar Book Club

Ilise Carter: The Red Menace
Thursday, August 11, 2022 7pm ET
~online~
For this edition of the Peculiar Book Club, Brandy will be joined by beauty journalist Ilise Carter to talk about her book The Red Menace and the power of a sometimes-overlooked cosmetic: lipstick went to war, made rock and roll statements, inspired rebellion, and crossed lines of race and gender!

Register for the event here, and get signed copies of the book from Loganberry's online store!

author alley cropped 1

Author Alley

Fiction & Poetry
Saturday, August 13, 12pm-4pm
~in-store~
The second installment of Author Alley is all about Fiction and Poetry! From general fiction, to romance and sci-fi; from literary fiction for adults to fun reads for young children and poetry for all ages, this is a day full of creativity and imagination for all ages.

Authors and poets coming to Author Alley on August 13 include nationally acclaimed thriller writer Dan Chaon; bestselling romance and mystery writer Abby Collete/Vandiver, Jason Lady, author of the laugh-out-loud middle grade Problems Series; fantasy author Victoria Perkins; and more, including Monica Babcock, M.T. Bass, J.D. Blackrose, Brooke Renee Bobincheck, Molly Fuller, Jeremy Jusek, L. Leigh Lent, Holly Maholm, Anthony Miano, Megan Neville, Clarke Owens, Frank Paino, Victoria Perkins, Molly Perry, Brian Petkash, Catherine Pomeroy, Halle Preneta, James Redwood, Kevin Risner, Emma Riva, Ken Tomaro, Mary Turzillo, Abby L Vandiver, Laura Walter, Leslie Yerkes.

Poetry readings will be live on the LitArts stage all afternoon.

Body of Stars cover

Berry Good Book Club

Laura Maylene: Body of Stars
This month's bookseller host: Wendy
Thursday, August 18, 7:30pm
~3rd Thursdays, In-person and Zoom~
Every month, a different Loganberry Bookseller will recommend a favorite book and lead a discussion with community members!

This month, Bookseller Wendy will be discussing Body of Stars by Laura Maylene Walter, which follows Celeste Morton, a young woman eagerly awaiting her passage to adulthood. She was born with a set of childhood markings--the freckles, moles, and birthmarks on her body that foretell her future and that of those around her. Celeste's beloved brother, Miles, is equally anticipating her transition to adulthood. As a skilled interpreter of the future, Miles considers Celeste his practice ground--and the only clue to what his own future will bring. But when Celeste changes, she learns a devastating secret about Miles's fate: a secret that could destroy her family, a secret she will do anything to keep.

Register for the online meeting on August 18, 2022 here.
Purchase the book from Loganberry here

Bookstore-Romance-Day

Bookstore Romance Day

Saturday, August 20, 10am-6pm
~in-store~
Do you read Romance novels? Do you love love? Always looking for a great new romantic read? Then join us for Bookstore Romance Day! On this day only, we're offering a special where you can buy any 3 romance books and get the 4th for 50% off (discount applies to least expensive book). We'll be celebrating with bookstores and readers across the country and hope you'll join us for a day-long celebration.

author alley cropped 1

Author Alley

Nonfiction & Illustrated Books
Saturday, August 20, 12pm-4pm
~in-store~
Truth can be stranger than fiction and a picture can be worth a thousand words--and both will be out in force for this third installment of Author Alley. Memoir and self-help, science and history, as well as illustrated literature like art books, comic books, zines, graphic novels, and children’s picture books. All will be here to explore!

Authors and illustrators to meet at Loganberry on August 20 include: children's book author Tricia Springstubb; nature writer Deborah Fleming; historian W Dennis Keating; Rev. Rachel Hollander; photographers and travel writers Alex and Irene Shaland; sports writer Scott Longert, graphic nonfiction team Scott Macgregor and Gary Dumm, and many more, including Melissa Crandall, Alison Duiker, Tameka Ellington, Na'Tasha Evans, Wendy Fedan, Liz Ferro,Martin Gitlin, Darlene Harting, John Kavouras, Judi Lifton, J. David Lubinger, Robert Milter, Clay Myatt, Dan Nathan, Alexi Panehal, Janie Reinart, Remer-Bednarski, Lake Erie Ink, and Karly West.

IMAGES

Naturalists Notebook

Cal Flyn: Islands of Abandonment
Sunday, August 21,1pm ET
~online and in person at the Nature Center at Shaker Lakes~
Join author Cal Flyn to talk about her recent book, Islands of Abandonment: Nature Rebounding in the Post-Human Landscape, an important book about the affirming power and resilience of nature--and about humans as nature.

Author Cal Flyn will be joining Loganberry Books and the Nature Center virtually. This will be our first in-person and virtual hybrid meeting, with the in-person portion at the Nature Center at Shaker Lakes.

Attendance is free but registration required, click here to register.

Order the book from Loganberry here at 10% off!

9780358697145

Peculiar Book Club

Eric Garcia: We're Not Broken: Changing the Autism Conversation
Thursday, August 25, 7pm ET
~online~
In this Peculiar Book Club, Eric Garcia, Senior Washington correspondent for The Independent and author of We're Not Broken, joins Brandy Schillace to talk about being "peculiar"--about how autism has often led to the idea that some people are broken, when in fact, they are just different.

Want to learn more and meet the author? Register for the event here and get signed copies of the books from Loganberry's online store.

nobs-logo-xs

NOBS Forum

Scores & More: An Evening with Andria Hoy, Cleveland Orchestra Archivist
Thursday. August 25, 7pm ET
~online and in-store~
Join us for a behind-the-scenes peek into the Archives of the Cleveland Orchestra! Archivist Andria Hoy will join to share stories about the scores, photos, programs, and objects that reside inside Severance Hall.

If you'll be joining the event virtually on Zoom, click here to join.

Other Offerings

sale sign 2-430x389

Monthly Sales

Keep your summer reading going strong with a month of 20% all books in the Design section Architecture, photography, interior design and more are featured through the month of August.

Riggs cover

Collectible Books for Any Budget

Lynn Riggs: Toward the Western Sky: A Music Play
In celebration of Author Alley this month, we're featuring a little gem for both local history AND musical theater enthusiasts. Lynn Riggs (whose play Green Grow the Lilacs was later adapted into the musical Oklahoma!) was commissioned to write this musical play by Western Reserve University on the occasion of the 150th year of its founding. The play memorializes the history of the Western Reserve and was first presented in June 1951 at Cain Park Theatre in Cleveland Heights.

We continue to expand and update our collectible editions listings online weekly--and our list of modern first editions is now fully listed online! You can also email wendy@logan.com for a personalized suggestion for any budget!

bbb graphic

Broaden Your Bookshelf Reading Challenge

January 2022-January 2023
~year long~
Join us on a free year long reading adventure to read more, read deeper, read bigger, read wider.

Third Quarter reading prompts are available now! Sign up now for this year long reading challenge and log books read to be entered into Q3 raffle to be drawn at the end of September.

▪ 20 prompts per quarter + quarterly prizes!
▪ Monthly updates, including a Bonanza map of logged book settings!
▪ Social media challenges! For more info click here.
20 prompts per quarter + quarterly prizes!
Monthly updates, including a Bonanza map of logged book settings!
Social media challenges! For more info click here.
64fdc0cd84df37be08c4f9926cf9faca

Got Books to Sell? We're Buying!

Please give us a sneak peek (call 216-795-9800 or email books@logan.com), so we can get you registered before dropping off your books (required). You can check out our current protocols here

469-4698575 tall-stack-of-books-transparent-hd-png-download

Bulk Order Discounts

Does your church, synagogue, school, or company need to order 10 or more copies of a book for a group read or special event? Order from Loganberry and receive a discount! We can even deliver to your location free of charge! Contact elisabeth@logan.com for more details!

purple-present-box-isolated-27074455
▪ Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books
▪ Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
▪ Book of the Month Club: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for over 25 years!
▪ Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
▪ Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm
▪ Ebooks from Loganberry.
▪ **Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and the Loganberry Blog.**
Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books
Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
Book of the Month Club: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for over 25 years!
Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm
Ebooks from Loganberry.
**Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and the Loganberry Blog.**

Read along with our booksellers!

Harriett (and Otis and Alice!) are recommending: [Blake’s Big Day by Sande Roberts): "A scraggly cat worries he won’t be adopted, but then a kind old man spots him. They quickly bond, but the old man has health issues and has a seizure one night. Blake is terrified, but his quick thinking saves the day! A feel-good story with cute illustrations and national acclaim for Blake."

9781736628317

Harriett (and Otis and Alice!) recommends Blake's Big Day by Sande Roberts:: "A scraggly cat worries he won’t be adopted, but then a kind old man spots him. They quickly bond, but the old man has health issues and has a seizure one night. Blake is terrified, but his quick thinking saves the day! A feel-good story with cute illustrations and national acclaim for Blake."

9781953430106

Devon is recommending Just Like Old Times by Cherry Chichima (a penname for Cori Sykes of Write and Vibe publishing), "This is a casual romance novel with real and relatable characters and conflicts. The story will draw you in!"

making of an urban suburb

Julie is recommending: The Scholarly Banana Series by Karly West: "Karly West takes the most gruesome old fairy tales she can find (the basis for the ones still read today), and somehow makes them hilarious with the assistance of stop-motion-esque photography of a banana acting out said tales, and then explaining them afterwards. These books are for ages 13+!"

9781733850926

Wendy is recommending Galactic Hell Cats by Marie Vibbert: "This is a fast-paced, fun joyride through space. Strap in and enjoy the ride with the most interesting gang of space-farers this side of the Galaxy. I hear there is a sequel in the works, and I can not wait to jump back into the action!"

munchkins square

Elisabeth is recommending We Made it to School Alive by Quartez Harris: "This pocket-sized poetry collection by former elementary school teacher Quartez Harris is a powerful, accessible encounter with school as a landscape of violence and grief but also transformation and joy. This is a must-read, especially as back-to-school season looms."

9781952283079

Sarah is recommending: When The Stars Go Dark by Paula McLain "This page-turner introduces us to characters who have become victims because of their past, and a detective who needs to solve these crimes while trying to understand her own past. A mystery with heart."

QuartezHarrisWeb

Miranda is recommending: When You and I Collide by Kate Norris: "An amazing adventure into the multiverse: perfect for lovers of Code Name Verity. High stakes, romance, great exploration of young women in science: this book has something for almost any reader."

9781880834718

Good to know:

▪ Open Mon-Wed & Fri-Sat:10-6, Thurs: 10am-8:30, Sun 12-5
▪ Masks required
▪ It's so nice to see you, thanks for stopping by!
Open Mon-Wed & Fri-Sat:10-6, Thurs: 10am-8:30, Sun 12-5
Masks required
It's so nice to see you, thanks for stopping by!
9780593237915

Sarah is reading When the Stars Go Dark by Paula McLain: "A mystery with heart that introduces us to characters who have become victims because of their past, and a detective who needs to solve these crimes while trying to understand her own past."

9780593203033

Miranda is recommending: When You and I Collide by Kate Norris: "An amazing adventure into the multiverse: perfect for lovers of Code Name Verity. High stakes, romance, great exploration of young women in science: this book has something for almost any reader."

Good to know:

▪ Open Mon-Wed & Fri-Sat:10-6, Thurs: 10am-8:30, Sun 12-5
▪ Masks required
▪ It's so nice to see you, thanks for stopping by!
Open Mon-Wed & Fri-Sat:10-6, Thurs: 10am-8:30, Sun 12-5
Masks required
It's so nice to see you, thanks for stopping by!

Thanks for reading,
Harriett & all the Loganberries