From: Loganberry Books <loganberrybooks@gmail.com>
Subject: Please join us! Loganberry's Annual Holiday Open House is this Thursday
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2022 18:58:48 +0000
To: Harriett Logan <books@logan.com>
Please join us! Loganberry's Annual Holiday Open House is this Thursday

Like   Tweet
shopping-at-local-independent-bookstores-is-a-gift-to-community-822c44f312159284

Loganberry News December 2022

Magical things in store...

It's that time of year, and we're all decked out in our holiday splendor and hoping you and yours are merry and well. Some of my favorite things in Otis' Old Curiosity Shop this year are little ceramic "bookworm" characters, DIY painting pendulums, Cleveland coasters, recycled metalworks sculptures, and snarky catnip pouches. We also have a ton of jigsaw puzzles and Jellycat plush, and every single one makes me smile. I hope it all brings a smile to your face, too.

Events

purple-present-box-isolated-27074455

Annual Open House + Perks Members-only sale!

Thursday, December 8, 10am-8:30pm
~annual~
It's the holidays, and we drink a toast to you, our lovely and loyal customers. Our Annual Open House is a celebration of the year and show of our gratitude for your support. Come drink a toast with us, tell us your favorite read of the year, eat some fine cheese, and listen to the intricate guitar work of Brian Henke. Help us put another leaf in our Gratitude Tree!

Perks members and Broaden Your Bookshelf members will receive 10% off* all day, plus there's a raffle and some pretty great freebies, and complimentary gift wrapping, as always. Wine & Cheese event begins at 6:00pm, live music begins at 7:30pm.

*Perks/BYB members only; some exclusions apply.

60e5c14867df8816c4e446b5 Logo Webclip

Fundraiser for Writers in Residence

Thursday, December 15, 10am-8:30pm
Writers in Residence is a local nonprofit working with youth who are incarcerated to empower their voices and assist in their re-entry into society.

To support their work in our community, Loganberry will be donating 10% of all sales on Thursday, December 15 to Writers in Residence. We encourage you to stop by and do some holiday shopping--or shop our website--to help us make as generous a donation as possible to this organization.

9780811231947

Berry Good Book Club

Marlen Haushofer: The Wall
This month's bookseller host: Sarah
Thursday, December 15, 7pm
~3rd Thursdays, in-store and virtual~
The Wall by Marlen Haushoffer, translated by Shaun Whiteside is a staff favorite here at Loganberry, and we are excited to talk about this beguiling and unforgettable book with you. The Wall is a dystopian survivalist page-turner for people who don't read dystopian fiction and people who love it.

Bookseller Sarah says, "It’s about a woman who wakes up in the Austrian mountains to find an invisible wall has come down, cutting her off from the world. Written in 1963 and recently republished, it is still relevant and unforgettable."

Join Sarah for the discussion in-store or register for the online meeting here.

Purchase the book from Loganberry here

PBC-Young

Peculiar Book Club

Damon Young: On Getting Off
Thursday, December 15, 7pm ET
~virtual~
Finally, a book club for the Peculiars! Join host and local author Dr. Brandy Schillace for book club dates with your favorite authors of strange history, medical marvels, and weird science.

In this episode of the Peculiar Book Club, Brandy is joined by prize-winning philosopher and writer Damon Young. Young's 2021 book, On Getting Off: Sex and Philosophy, draws on personal experience, literature, myth, art, and philosophy to explore the paradoxes of the bedroom.

Want to learn more and meet the author? Register for the event here and get a signed copy of the book from Loganberry's online store here.

Other Offerings

shutterstock 135114548

Collectible Books for Any Budget

A dedicated roundup of special editions and collectible titles from the Sanctuary will hit your inbox in just a few days, so keep an eye out! Special highlights include a hard-to-find Disney story collection; a piece of comic book history; an autographed Everest memoir, and much more.

Got a special someone you'd like to get a special collectible book for, but not sure where to start? Email wendy@logan.com with your budget and some information about the person you're shopping for, and she'll get back to you ASAP with suggestions for a gift they'll never forget!

image0.jpeg

Vintage Cleveland Ephemera

For a truly unique gift for yourself or someone else, come check out the collection of original historic photographs we've recently acquired from the archives of the Cleveland Press. Pictured here: the bitter reality of a 1920s winter commute.

Top gift picks from Loganberry booksellers

Click any title below to purchase a book for mailing or in-store pickup!

9780525512486

Harriett recommends Lost & Found by Kathryn Schulz: "One of my favorite reads of this year, now in paperback, perfect for readers who love words, family stories, and happy endings!"

9780316426480

Wendy recommends Rooted: Life at the Crossroads of Nature, Science, and Spirit by Lyanda Lynn Haupt: "A beautiful book that's a great choice for people who like the wise nature writing in Braiding Sweetgrass and Robert Macfarlane's books and are looking for for a new discovery."

9780358387657

*Leigh recommends A Library by Nikki Giovanni, illustrated by Erin K Robinson*: "In this fabulously illustrated picture book, poet Nikki Giovanni explores the wonders of the Library and the freedom of imagination that comes from reading!"

9781250819321

Elisabeth recommends Spear by Nicola Griffith: "This perfectly sized novella is the queer retelling of the Arthurian legend that I--and maybe you--have been waiting for my whole life, and from a masterful prose stylist, to boot."

9780593235928

Sarah recommends Rejected Books by Graham Johnson and Rob Hibbert "I laughed out loud at these clever titles and funny book jackets! I mean out loud! And we all need a laugh out loud book, right?."

9780593468838

Toni recommends Thistlefoot by GennaRose Nethercott: "This is my very favorite kind of book – big, fantastical, wide-ranging and rollicking! It combines Jewish folklore with innovative storytelling in a delightful tale about the Yaga siblings and their sentient house on chicken legs, which will appeal to readers of Neil Gaiman, Kelly Link, Erin Morgenstern, and Susanna Clark.!"

9780375842207

Devon recommends The Book Thief by Markus Zuzak: "The Book Thief is an incredible story of the Holocaust told from the perspective of Death following one orphaned young reader, Liesel. Liesel is taken in by a German couple who later begin harboring a young Jewish man. We follow Liesel and her adoptive parent’s lives as they secretly fight against Nazi ideologies book by book. This is a book everyone should read, and then read again."

9780393334159

Elijah recommends Sir Gawain and the Green Knight translated by Simon Armitage: "A turn-of-the-century masterpiece, the grandeur of which lies in the cosmic scope of its horror, which makes Lovecraft look quaint: the true monster is the fabric of reality itself."

Good to know

purple-present-box-isolated-27074455
▪ Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books
▪ Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
▪ Book of the Month Club: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for over 25 years!
▪ Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
▪ Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm
▪ **Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and the Loganberry Blog.**
Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books
Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
Book of the Month Club: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for over 25 years!
Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm
**Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and the Loganberry Blog.**
469-4698575 tall-stack-of-books-transparent-hd-png-download

Bulk Order Discounts

Does your church, synagogue, school, or company need to order 10 or more copies of a book for a group read or special event? Order from Loganberry and receive a discount! We can even deliver to your location free of charge! Contact elisabeth@logan.com for more details!

64fdc0cd84df37be08c4f9926cf9faca

Used Book Buying Hiaitus

We're getting ready for the holiday busy season so are taking a break from buying used books for the rest of 2023.

We'll look forward to seeing your books in the new year, though! We'll announce when we're ready to start buying again in January 2023! To prepare for when we restart used book buying in 2023, you can check out our protocols here

▪ Open Mon-Wed & Fri-Sat: 10-6, Thurs: 10am-8:30, Sun 12-5
▪ Masks required
▪ It's so nice to see you, thanks for stopping by!
Open Mon-Wed & Fri-Sat: 10-6, Thurs: 10am-8:30, Sun 12-5
Masks required
It's so nice to see you, thanks for stopping by!

Thanks for reading,
Harriett & all the Loganberries