From: Loganberry Books <loganberrybooks@gmail.com>
Subject: Loganberry News January 2023
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2023 15:42:32 +0000
To: Harriett Logan <books@logan.com>
Loganberry News January 2023

Like   Tweet
shopping-at-local-independent-bookstores-is-a-gift-to-community-822c44f312159284

Loganberry News January 2023

How I love new beginnings! Just think, we finally get a number besides a 0, 1, or 2 in the year, and high time for that!

We have some exciting plans at Loganberry too, including expanded sections for Narrative Non-Fiction, Century Classics for kids, Vintage Illustrated, Artist Biographies, LGBTQIA, small presses, and more. It’s always in flux here, and there’s never enough space for what we want to do! What would you like to see/browse? Let us know, we’ll add it to our pipedreams and projects. Here’s wishing your pipedreams come to fruition in 2023!

Visiting Author Events

81il 29DwLL. AC UL210 SR210 210

Michael Twitty: KosherSoul: The Faith and Food Journey of an African American Jew
Friday, January 13th, 6:15pm
~Anshe Chesed Fairmount Temple - 23737 Fairmount Blvd, Beachwood, OH 44122~
You are invited to a special service honoring the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., with special guest speaker, James Beard award-winning author Michael Twitty, author of KosherSoul at Fairmount Temple in Beachwood.

In KosherSoul, Michael W. Twitty considers the marriage of two of the most distinctive culinary cultures in the world today: the foods and traditions of the African Atlantic and the global Jewish diaspora. Michael W. Twitty is an African-American Jewish writer, culinary historian, and educator. He is the author of The Cooking Gene, which won the 2018 James Beard Foundation Book Award for Book of the Year.

If you would like a signed copy of the book, you will need to pre-purchase copies via Loganberry's website and note in the comment box and checkout that you would like the author to sign. Your signed book will be available for pickup at the event at Fairmount Temple on 1/13/23 or at Loganberry Books from 1/16/23 onward.

Anshe Chesed will be hosting other events based on KosherSoul throughout early January - visit their website for more details!

Local Authors

41T5GZbhosL. AC SY780

Scott Simon: Scare Your Soul: 7 Powerful Principles to Harness Fear and Lead Your Most Courageous Life
Thursday, January 19, 7pm
~in-store~
Join us for a special author talk and book signing with local author and entrepreneur Scott Simon for his new book Scare Your Soul: 7 Powerful Principles to Harness Fear and Lead Your Most Courageous Life.

Scott will talk about how Scare Your Soul came about as a project and a book and will share his research on positive psychology combined with with real-life stories of Scare Your Soul participants. Scott Simon challenges you to confront your limiting beliefs with writing prompts, activities, and real-world challenges.

This is a ticketed event: click here to purchase. The ticket price includes a signed copy of Scare Your Soul.

Book Clubs & Discussion Groups

istockphoto-891635240-612x612

Please Take Our Book Club Survey!

New Year, new book clubs! We want to hear from YOU what kind of book clubs and discussion groups you would most like to participate in at Loganberry and would greatly appreciate your input on this survey to help us learn more.

BONUS: complete the survey before January 21 and you'll automatically be entered in a drawing for a $10 Loganberry gift certificate!

HowWeShowUpCover

Murmuration Book Club at Abide Yoga

Mia Birdsong: How We Show Up
Friday, January 13, 6pm
~in person at Abide: 13001 Larchmere Blvd~
Our neighbors at Abide Yoga next door to us on Larchmere Blvd have launched Murmuration, a new hybrid yoga class and book club and we're teaming up to offer participants 10% off featured titles!

This month's book, How We Show Up, returns us to our inherent connectedness where we find strength, safety, and support in vulnerability and generosity, in asking for help, and in being accountable. Showing up--literally and figuratively--points us toward the promise of our collective vitality and leads us to the liberated well-being we all want.

To register for the book club and yoga class click here.

To order a copy of the book from Loganberry for mailing or store pickup for 10% off, click here.

unnamed

NOBS Forum

Annual Show and Tell
Thursday, January 26, 7:30pm
~in-store and online~
Join us for our annual Show & Tell extravaganza! We will meet in person at Loganberry Books, and we’ll also have an option for you to join us via Zoom*.

Scour your shelves and bring your favorite book(s) to share!

Click here to join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 826 7518 1258
Passcode: 105701

Community Arts & Culture

broadsides-s

Broadsides & Ephemera

Featured Reader: Greg Michaels, "The Urban Cowboy Poet"
Thursday, January 12th, 7:00pm
~in-store~
Tonight's featured reader is Greg Michaels! He's is a big fan of cowboy poetry, but he's always been a city slicker, and currently resides in the Land o’ Cleves on old Lake Erie shore. He take Urban Legends, modern folk tales, and retells them, cowpoke style.

download

ALA Youth Media Awards

Monday, January 30, 9am-10:45am
~annual; in-store~
Each year the American Library Association (ALA) honors books, videos, and other outstanding materials for children and teens. Recognized worldwide for the high quality they represent, the ALA Youth Media Awards (YMA), including the prestigious Newbery, Caldecott, Printz, and Coretta Scott King Book Awards, guide parents, educators, librarians, and others in selecting the best materials for youth. Selected by committees composed of librarians and other literature and media experts, the awards encourage original and creative work in the field of children’s and young adult literature and media.

Join us at Loganberry to watch the 2023 YMA Awards LIVE on the webcast, on January 30 from 9:00am - 10:45am ET. We’ll have bagels and coffee, mock ballots and genuine appreciation for the awards, as well as last year’s Caldecott winner as a prize for whomever gets the most points on the mock ballot!

Sales, Specials, and FYIs

download

On Sale This Month

We're getting ready for the new year ahead by offering 40% off remaining holiday cards and calendars - come get them while they last!

We're also offering 20% off inventory in Otis' Old Curiosity Shop and 20% off non-holiday cards to help you stock up for a year of occasions ahead!

images

Staff Training Closure

Monday, January 23, 2023
~annual~
As usual, we'll be closed for one day this month to sharpen our bookseller skills and take stock of what we learned in 2022 to make 2023 the best bookstore year yet! We'll look forward to welcoming you back as usual on Tuesday, January 24.

Golden Compass cover dj

Collectible Books for Any Budget!

Season 3 of the TV adaptation of His Dark Materials is out on HBO now--what better way to return to the original classic novel than with this gorgeous first American edition of Philip Pullman's The Golden Compass?

We continue to expand and update our collectible editions listings online weekly--and our list of modern first editions is now fully listed online! You can also email wendy@logan.com for a personalized suggestion for any budget!

64fdc0cd84df37be08c4f9926cf9faca

Used Book Buying

We've resumed buying used books! Mondays and Fridays are our buying days, but please call us ahead of time to tell us when you hope to come in. As usual, we offer cash or 20% more in store credit for used and collectible books that we deem saleable, and you'll need to take away any decline to purchase. You can find more details about our buying procedures here. We look forward to seeing your treasures!

469-4698575 tall-stack-of-books-transparent-hd-png-download

Bulk Order Discounts

Does your church, synagogue, school, or company need to order 10 or more copies of a book for a group read or special event? Order from Loganberry and receive a discount! We can even deliver to your location free of charge! Contact elisabeth@logan.com for more details!

purple-present-box-isolated-27074455
▪ Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books
▪ Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
▪ Book of the Month Club: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for over 25 years!
▪ Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
▪ Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm
▪ **Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and the Loganberry Blog.**
Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books
Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
Book of the Month Club: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for over 25 years!
Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm
**Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and the Loganberry Blog.**

Read along with our booksellers!

Click any title below to purchase a book for mailing or in-store pickup!

9781594634505

Harriett recommends Matrix by Lauren Groff: "Banished to an impoverished British abbey, the royal bastard Marie de France finds her purpose. With strength and kinship, Marie builds a rich self-sustaining community of women. Her vision is epic, if unusual, and her legacy seems even more heroic in retrospect than in her own time. Anyone seeking inspiration for new beginnings could learn something from Groff’s interpretation of the Abbess Marie."

41OHpJfDi-L

Wendy recommends Dinosaurs by Lydia Millet: Gil, newly arrived in Arizona after walking from NYC in an effort to restart his life after a failed love affair, becomes enmeshed in the lives of his next door neighbors, a young family who live in a glass house. As she did in A Children's Bible, Millet tackles questions of community and relationships in a time of environmental crisis.."

WhenTheWhalesLeave 300dpi RGB-1

Elisabeth recommends When the Whales Leave by Yuri Rytkheu: "The perfect way to ease into a new year of reading: a perfect gem of a novella that inhabits the eco-cultural myth-space of the indigenous Chukchi people of the Arctic Circle. Written in light of anti-indigenous oppression in Soviet Russia, this translation brings this exquisite fable to English reading audiences for the first time."

9781953534422

Toni recommends When They Tell You To Be Good: A Memoir by Prince Shakur: "Start the year off with a gorgeously challenging read. Prince Shakur’s memoir of personal and political awakening traces his experience as a queer, Black, immigrant kid in Ohio in the 2000s through his journeys around the world and into a powerful, radical sense of self and commitment. As gorgeously written as it is stunningly honest and intellectually provocative. As a bonus, all the copies we have in the shop are signed by the author!"

51XbNBC8k6L. AC SY350 QL15

Cat recommends The Villa by Rachel Hawkins: "This is a perfect way to start the year for mystery and suspense lovers. The tale spans from the 70s to modern day through the story of three separate women who travel to Italy for a time, all working to write a book that will change their lives and careers forever. As the story progresses, readers will have fun trying to anticipate what will happen next in each of the three character's lives, and I thoroughly enjoyed the ending."

9781555977887

Devon recommends Her Body and Other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado: "This is a woman-focused horror anthology that is guaranteed to make your skin crawl. The stories relate to women's issues, including privacy, weight loss, and sexual violence, with queer themes throughout the collection. The stories have well thought out characters, depth, and will leave you wanting more."

Thanks for reading,
Harriett & all the Loganberries

▪ Open Mon-Wed & Fri-Sat: 10-6, Thurs: 10am-8:30, Sun 12-5
▪ Masks required
▪ It's so nice to see you, thanks for stopping by!