From: Loganberry Books <loganberrybooks@gmail.com>
Subject: Loganberry News April 2023
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 18:27:29 +0000
To: <harriett@logan.com>
Loganberry News April 2023

shopping-at-local-independent-bookstores-is-a-gift-to-community-822c44f312159284

Loganberry News April 2023

Spring has sprung! We have some exciting author events this month, our Edible Books Festival celebrates its 20th year, while Independent Bookstore Day celebrates its 10th! Two new book clubs are underway, the beloved NOBS Akron Antiquarian Book & Paper Show is back, and it’s Poetry Month (and that means sale!). What have I missed? Earth Day! Okay, for each sale during the month of April where the customer (you!) brings their own bag, we’ll contribute $1 to the Western Reserve Land Conservancy. Right, ready for flowers now!

Visiting Author Events

CarterBays

Carter Bays: The Mutual Friend
Wednesday, April 5, 2023, 7pm
~in-store~
Shaker Heights' own Carter Bays (co-creator of the hit show How I Met Your Mother) is coming to Loganberry to read from his heartwarming and hilarious novel The Mutual Friend! He'll be joined in conversation with local novelist, Susan Petrone (The Heebie-Jeebie Girl, and others). Fun fact: both Bays and Petrone are former winners of Dobama Theatre's Marilyn Bianchi Kids' Playwriting Festival, and a representative for Dobama will also be here! Join us for an unforgettable and laugh-out-loud evening.

THIS IS A TICKETED EVENT: One ticket provides admission and a signed copy of The Mutual Friend (at a 10% discount). If you already own the book, your ticket can be exchanged for store credit. Buy your ticket here.

Lebron

Jeff Benedict: Lebron
Thursday, April 20, 2023, 7pm
~in-store~
Join us for a special evening with #1 bestselling author Jeff Benedict in celebration of his new landmark biography of the King of basketball and northeast Ohio's most famous living son, Lebron.

From the New York Times bestselling author of Tiger Woods and The Dynasty, this is the definitive biography of one of the greatest athletes of all time, LeBron James--the king of his sport, the figure at the center of social movements, the man everyone has an opinion on--based on five years of exhaustive research and more than 300 interviews.

Click here to preorder a signed copy of the book - even if you can't make it to the free event!

ibg.common.titledetail

*Michael Sampson and Olena Kharchenko: The Story of Ukraine: An Anthem of Glory and Freedom*
Wednesday, April 27, 7pm
~in-store~
Please join us as Michael Sampson and Olena Kharchenko come to Loganberry for a talk about their timely and informative bilingual picture book, The Story of Ukraine: An Anthem of Glory and Freedom.

New York Times bestselling author Michael Sampson was serving as a Fulbright Scholar to Ukraine when asked to evacuate and continue his work from Warsaw, Poland. As he was attending a peace rally, he heard a group of people singing the Ukrainian national anthem and was filled with hope for a better future. Sampson teamed up with Ukrainian national Olena Kharchenko, and Ukrainian refugee, Polina Doroshenko, the illustrator, to create a beautiful new picture book, The Story of Ukraine.

Local Authors

LV-Banks-Beauty

Zariah L. Banks: Beauty Beheld
Sunday, April 2, 3pm
~in-store~
After an explosive breakup, a twenty-something woman seeks fulfillment through her career and personal interest. Upon crossing paths with a charismatic man, she discovers her desires aren't what they seem. She struggles to balance recovering from her breakup and entertaining a new love interest without allowing unresolved past issues to ruin yet another romantic relationship.

Zariah Banks is a contemporary women’s novelist and emotional intimacy blogger using a pen name. She writes on contemporary dating topics, vulnerability, and nurturing intimacy in long-term relationships. Her mission is to educate couples and singles on improving communication and preventing emotional and physical transgressions in romantic relationships.

LV-Hawley-Exit4

Richard Hawley: On My Way Out Vol IV
Sunday, April 16, 1pm
~in-store~
Join Richard Hawley, author of The Headmaster's Papers as he reads from and discusses the most recent installment of his epic memoir project, On My Way Out Vol. IV.

The fourth volume of On My Way Out continues a consideration of the wonders and surprises of later life. As Hawley passes into his 75th year, he confronts, in addition to physical changes and corresponding changes in outlook, two era-shaping historical exigencies: the emergence of Trump and an unresolved global pandemic.Through considerable darkness emerges unexpected light.

LV-Grown-Men-Cry

Karl Wegener: Grown Men Cry Out At Night
Sunday, April 16, 3pm
~in-store~
Join us for a book signing and discussion with author Karl Wegener for his novel Grown Men Cry Out At Night, set in 1946 about three people whose lives are thrown together in post-war Germany as they work together to track down a Gestapo officer accused of war crimes.

lv-peaches-and-cream

Alodia Thaliel: Peaches and Cream
Sunday, April 30, 1pm
~in-store~
Join us for a book signing with local author Alodia Thaliel to celebrate her recent release, Peaches & Cream!

Rhode and Constantine have a relationship that most people would hesitate to define, though neither of the men ever felt the need to put a label on it. They were Con the football player, and Rhode the CEO, and they were always together. But when they meet Dani, all of that changes. Together they navigate the waters of their polycule, their families, the press, and the judgment of a world that insists they know better than them.

Book Clubs & Discussion Groups

9781635579789

Berry Good Books

Miriam Toews: Fight Night
April 1-30, 2023
~online~
We are starting a new version of Berry Good Books as an online discussion, using the online app www.bookclubs.com! Read the book at your own pace and drop into the online conversation as you hit major points you want to discuss. We will rotate between three genres: Contemporary Fiction, Classic Literature, and History. It's an experiment! Join us!

In April, we'll discuss Fight Night, the deep & comic story of the precocious narrator, 9-year-old Swiv, and her eccentric grandmother as they teach one another about struggle and survival, by Miriam Toews, beloved Canadian author of Women Talking.

Up next:
May: The Sailor Who Fell From Grace with the Sea by Yukio Mishima
June: We Don't Know Ourselves by Fintan O'Toole
July: The Great Fire by Shirley Hazzard
August: The Violent Bear It Away by Flannery O'Connor
September: The Bright Ages by Matthew Gabriele & David M. Perry

Join the discussion here!

9780735212534

For the Thrill of Lit

Alma Katsu: The Hunger
Thursday, April 20, 7pm
~bi-monthly, in-store and online~
For the Thrill of Lit (FTTOL) is Loganberry's new book club for lovers of suspense, mystery, thriller, and horror! It meets bi-monthly on the third Thursday of the month in rotation with Queer Book Club.

Our first book club pick is The Hunger by Alma Katsu, a fascinating mix of historical fiction, suspense, and horror! It follows the journey of a real group of pioneers from the 1800s who were migrating from the Midwest to California. They experienced significant hardship along their journey, which caused people to turn against one another in their quest for survival.

9781623177249

Murmurations Book Club at Abide Yoga

Kerri Kelly: American Detox: The Myth of Wellness and How We Can Actually Heal
Friday, March 24, 6pm
~in person at Abide: 13001 Larchmere Blvd~
Our neighbors at Abide Yoga next door to us on Larchmere Blvd host Murmurations, a hybrid yoga class and book club and we offer participants 10% off featured titles!

This month's book, American Detox by Kerri Kelly, invites us to consider what "wellness" means in the contemporary USA: the myths and power structures wellness industries uphold, and what it would take for EVERYONE, everywhere, to heal.

To register for the book club and yoga class click here.

To order a copy of the book from Loganberry for mailing or store pickup for 10% off, click here.

Community Arts & Culture

torte-M

20th Annual Edible Book Festival

Now through Saturday, April 1, 12pm
Voting runs from 4/1, 1pm EDT - 4/2 at 1pm EDT
~virtual~
For the 20th year in a row, we're inviting you to construct edible creations inspired by books and share them in our virtual Edible Book Festival!

Enter here anytime up until noon EDT on Saturday, April 1. Voting will begin at 1pm EDT on 4/1/2023 for 24 hours via a link we will post on our homepage (loganberrybooks.com) and social media, with winners announced Sunday afternoon.

Invite friends and family anywhere in the world to enter along with you. You'll photograph the edible book (both by itself and with you in the photo) and use those photos to submit. We will donate $1 to the Cleveland Food Bank for each submission!

The International Edible Book Festival started in 2000, and Loganberry Books and Strong Bindery have sponsored the Cleveland event since 2004. Read about the tradition here.

JHfinalBW

Annex Gallery

Gary and Laura Dumm
April 6-May 1, 2023
Opening reception: Thursday, April 6, 6-8pm
~monthly~
Join us for the opening of our April art exhibition, featuring the work of local artists and comics creators Gary and Laura Dumm!

Gary and Laura are night and day: Gary is the “black & white guy” and Laura is the “color girl.” Each one of them has had a 50 year+ career in their own mediums, and this exhibit boasts a wide variety from across their careers.

unnamed

NOBS

Akron Antiquarian Book & Paper Show
Friday, April 7, 3-8:30pm
Saturday, April 8, 10-4pm
~annual~
Held at the John S Knight Center, 77 E Mill St in Akron
What could be better than hunting for treasure among the famous book stalls of Paris? What if you could do the same thing, but in Akron? 20+ dealers from across the region will assemble for the 37th Annual Akron Antiquarian Book & Paper Show, and you're invited! Check the NOBS website for more details. We hope to see you there!

broadsides-s

Broadsides & Ephemera

Featured Reader: Dick Davis
Thursday, April 13, 7pm
~in-store - 2nd Thursdays~
Dick Davis, a fellow of the Royal Society of Literature, has been hailed by the TLS as "our finest translator of Persian poetry," and retired in 2012 from the Ohio State University where he was Professor of Persian and Chair of the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Cultures. Born in Portsmouth, Davis read English Literature at Cambridge and subsequently spent eight years in Iran, before completing a PhD in Medieval Persian Literature at Manchester.

IBD2023Logo

Independent Bookstore Day

10th Annual IBD
Sunday, April 29, 2023, 10am-6pm
~annual~
Independent Bookstore Day is like a nationwide birthday party for bookstores, and this is the 10th! Join us at Loganberry as we celebrate the magic that only indie bookstores bring to communities and the world.

For Independent Bookstore Day, we and hundreds of bookstores across the country will have a range of special limited edition merchandise, appearances by local authors, merchandise, wheel of fortune prizes, party favors, and more, all day long. We wouldn't be here without you and hope you'll come celebrate with us!

Sales, Specials, and FYIs

AA21Front

Author Alley Applications Are Live!

Our most popular event of the year, bringing together authors from across Ohio to meet and greet readers is back, and this year will take place across four Saturdays, June-September. Find out more and apply to participate here!

Decorative-Purple-Easter-Egg-PNG-File

Closed for Easter

Sunday, April 9, 2023
~annual~
We'll be closed for the holiday, but will be open again on Monday, April 10, as usual at 10am. Happy Easter and Chag Pesach Sameach!

download

On Sale This Month

During the month of April, our Poetry section is 20% off! Whether you want an anthology of classic poems, the latest collection from an up-and-comer, or a biography of your favorite poet, this is the time to stock up!

Dickinson set

Collectible Books for Any Budget!

In celebration of National Poetry Month, we're delighted to feature this signed deluxe limited edition (85/750) of Acts of Light, Nancy Ekholm Burkert's lavishly illustrated poems by Emily Dickinson, a perfect addition to the collection of any lover of nature or poetry.

We continue to expand and update our collectible editions listings online weekly--and our list of modern first editions is now fully listed online! You can also email wendy@logan.com for a personalized suggestion for any budget!

64fdc0cd84df37be08c4f9926cf9faca

Used Book Buying

Mondays and Fridays are our buying days, but please call us before you come in. As usual, we offer cash or 20% more in store credit for used and collectible books that we deem saleable, and you'll need to take away any we decline to purchase. You can find more details about our buying procedures here. We look forward to seeing your treasures!

469-4698575 tall-stack-of-books-transparent-hd-png-download

Bulk Order Discounts

Does your church, synagogue, school, or company need to order 10 or more copies of a book for a group read or special event? Order from Loganberry and receive a discount! We can even deliver to your location free of charge! Contact elisabeth@logan.com for more details!

purple-present-box-isolated-27074455
▪ Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books
▪ Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
▪ Loganberry Curated Reads: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for over 25 years!
▪ Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
▪ Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm.
▪ **Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and the Loganberry Blog.**
Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books
Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
Loganberry Curated Reads: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for over 25 years!
Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm.
**Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and the Loganberry Blog.**

Read along with our booksellers for Poetry Month!

Click any title below to purchase a book for mailing or in-store pickup!

9780763650902

Harriett recommends: poetry-turned-picture books "I am a fan of illustrated books of poetry for children. I particularly like picture books featuring one classic poem, broken into bits with words and pictures intermingling on the page. Several poems by Robert Frost have been rendered by Susan Jeffers and Ed Young; Christopher Myers has reinterpreted Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll; the nonsense poems of Edward Lear are delightful; Amanda Gorman’s Change Sings is perfectly illustrated by Loren Long; and Steven Arcella’s illustration of Sandburg’s The Fog looks exactly like Alice, the store cat!"

Today let me tell you about John Keats’ poem written for his little sister, “A Song About Myself,” illustrated by Chris Raschka. The lines are short so the rhyme scheme is tight, the repetition is perfect for young ears, and the illustrations are playful and joyful. It’s a fun read for children, and a great introduction to the broader genre of poetry."

9781338816105

Devon recommends: Good Different by Meg Eden Kuyatt: "This novel-in-verse story is about a young neurodivergent girl, Selah who starts to have some problems at school after a burst of violence. It's a great story about overcoming social norms and learning how to be yourself, geared toward children ages 8-13, but there's something in it for people of all ages."

9781934414903

Elisabeth recommends The Collected Poems of Lucille Clifton "Almost without fail when someone tells me they don't know if they like poetry but they want to read more of it, I recommend Lucille Clifton. Deceptively simple and direct, her poems dazzle the more you read; they show a poet's knowledge of less is more, and they fizz with joy."

9781487005382

Sarah recommends The Lost Words by Robert Macfarlane, illustrated by Jackie Morris: "This is one of the most beautiful books I own. Nature words, like "otter" and "dandelion," chosen because they were dropped from the Oxford Junior Dictionary, have been made into poems and extraordinary illustrations. This book of poetry and art is a find for adults—and an extraordinary gift for children."

9780140444346

Elijah recommends The Conference of the Birds by Farid ud-Din Attar, translated by Dick Davis: "Combining the grandeur and allegorical depth of the Divine Comedy with the earthy humor and episodic structure of the Canterbury Tales, this medieval Persian Sufi masterpiece follows a flock of birds on their quest for a new king, which quickly becomes a harsh and perilous journey toward mystical enlightenment."

9780143132615

*Cat recommends Bone by Yrsa Daley-Ward:* "This book is a collection of poems that are raw and beautiful, written by a first-generation Black British woman. Some of Daley-Ward's poems can be an emotional read, as they deal with abuse and addiction, but overall the collection is a wonderful addition to your bookshelf."

9780393309331

Toni recommends two books for poets: "What better way to celebrate poetry month than by writing your own poetry? Two of my favorite books for poets are The Triggering Town by Richard Hugo, a downright classic collection of lessons and essays that are essential reading for any writer, and The Practicing Poet edited by Diane Lockward, which features prompts, practical advice, and poetic musings from 113 contemporary poets."

9781101970782

*Julie recommends The Prophet by Khalil Gibran:* "This classic should be required reading for anyone. Highly recommended if you need to view the bigger picture of your life."

Thanks for reading,
Harriett & all the Loganberries

▪ Open Mon-Wed & Fri-Sat: 10-6, Thurs: 10am-8:30, Sun 12-5
▪ Masks recommended
▪ It's so nice to see you, thanks for stopping by!
Open Mon-Wed & Fri-Sat: 10-6, Thurs: 10am-8:30, Sun 12-5
Masks recommended
It's so nice to see you, thanks for stopping by!

Like   Tweet