From: Loganberry Books <loganberrybooks@gmail.com>
Subject: Loganberry News June 2023
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2023 17:23:19 +0000
To: Harriett Logan <books@logan.com>
Loganberry News June 2023

shopping-at-local-independent-bookstores-is-a-gift-to-community-822c44f312159284

Loganberry News June 2023

hh

Local Authors

AA21Front-min2

Author Alley

BIPOC Showcase
Saturday, June 10, 12-4:30pm
~Second Saturdays, June-September~
Join us for Author Alley, our annual local author book fair, taking place on the second Saturdays of each month, June through September.Come celebrate the writers in our midst, mingle with the literati of The Land, support the authors who are our neighbors, and enjoy the savings the more you buy--an Author Alley exclusive!*

On June 10, we will feature all authors of color! Joining us are authors Cliff Anthony, Emilia Rosa, Zariah Banks, Jowan Smith, Brittany Eaton, Erica Glover, JD Belcher, Elana Pitts, Angela Newman, Ava Reiss, Dominique Krystal Dawn, Alex P. Michaels, Breshea Anglen, and more!

Click here for this summer's full Author Alley schedule.

*buy 3 save $1; buy 4 save $2; buy 5 save $3, etc. ($5 max.).

scott-and-sara

Authors in Conversation: Sara Coven and Scott Simon

Wednesday, June 14, 7pm
~in-store~
Join us for a special joint book event with two local authors! Sara Coven, author of the middle grade novel, The One We Left Behind, and Scott Simon, author of Scare Your Soul, a guide to changing the world through small acts of courage, will be in conversation about the stories behind their books.

Sara Coven is an anthropologist, attorney, community volunteer, and mom. She was inspired to write The One We Left Behind by her personal experience as the aunt of a child with severe food allergies, and is an executive board member of the Northeast Ohio Food Allergy Network (NEOFAN).

Scott Simon is an author, happiness entrepreneur, speaker, and founder of Scare Your Soul. He has spoken around the world, given a TEDx Talk, co-founded a happiness incubator, and worked with international thought leaders in the areas of courage and happiness.

9783110742312

Greg Moore: Beyond the Voting Rights Act
Sunday, June 25, 2pm (rescheduled from May)
~in-store~
Cleveland native and national voting rights activist Greg Moore will discuss and sign his book Beyond the Voting Rights Act, a moving account of over 30 years of contemporary voting rights battles in the United States. It tells a story of that struggle from the author’s perspective beginning as a young Black man from Cleveland in the 1980s who reluctantly became involved in this movement as a student activist and inadvertently rose to become an integral part of the ultimate legislative victory.

Greg Moore is President and CEO of the Promise of Democracy Foundation and former Executive Director of the NAACP National Voter Fund.

Book Clubs & Discussion Groups

9781324092872

Berry Good Books

Fintan O'Toole: We Don't Know Ourselves
June 1-30, 2023
~online~
Our next installment of Berry Good Books as an online discussion using the bookclubs.com app has begun! Read the book at your own pace and drop into the online conversation as you hit major points you want to discuss. We will rotate between three genres: Contemporary Fiction, Classic Literature, and History. It's an experiment! Join us!

In June, we'll discuss We Don't Know Ourselves by Fintan O'Toole.

Up next:
July: The Great Fire by Shirley Hazzard
August: The Violent Bear It Away by Flannery O'Connor
September: The Bright Ages by Matthew Gabriele & David M. Perry

Join the discussion here!

9781250794642

For the Thrill of Lit

Gretchen Felker-Martin: Manhunt
Thursday, June 15, 7pm
~in-store and online~
For the Thrill of Lit meets bi-monthly on the third Thursday of the month in rotation with Queer Book Club, both in-store and via Zoom. All are welcome to join the discussion!

June's pick is Manhunt by Gretchen Felker-Martin. This book falls under the horror genre and highlights a trans author in celebration of Pride month. The book follows three trans protagonists as they try to survive a brutal post-apocalyptic world in which people with too much testosterone become infected with a sickness that causes them to act in zombie-ish, animalistic ways.

Click here to buy a copy of the book for 10% off.

Join us in-store or on Zoom via this link.

Up next:
July 20 - Queer Book Club: The Thirty Names of Night by Zeyn Joukhadar

Community Arts & Culture

DevonClairArtsLogoTrippy-800x460

Annex Gallery

Devon Clair Arts: Stories
June 1-July 2, 2023
~monthly~
Join us for the opening of our June (Pride Month) art exhibition, featuring the work of local nonbinary artist Devon Overley!

Devon says: There is no beginning to my artistic journey, it has simply always been the path I've taken. I've established Devon Clair Arts to showcase my talents and offer my original art to the world. From small sketches to large scale projects, my art is a highly-personal reflection of myself. I am a non-binary creator with a Bachelor's degree in Literature. I have professional experience as an artist and designer, and look forward to the opportunities out there for me.

UnbearableLightness

ChamberFest Cleveland

Live Chamber Music & Expert Panel on The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Thursday, June 8, 7pm
~in-store~
ChamberFest Cleveland's Season 11: "Lightness of Being" (June 14 - July 1, 2023) will bring eleven concerts inspired by the novel The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Czech author Milan Kundera to venues around Cleveland.

As a special preview to the festival, ChamberFest and Loganberry will offer a free evening of live chamber music and an expert panel discussion to explore The Unbearable Lightness of Being's historical context, cultural perspective, and place in modern fiction.

Panelists for the evening include:
--Charles Oberndorf, Local author and longtime instructor at University School
--John Sabol, host of "New Czech Voice of Cleveland" on WHKW 1220 AM and co-author of Cleveland Czechs
--James Krukones, PhD, Professor of History at John Carroll University

Music will be performed by an ensemble from the Cleveland Institute of Music's Advanced String Quartet program.

rocktheblocks-marchingband

Rock the Blocks

Sunday, June 11, 11am-5pm
~annual~
Rock the Blocks is a family fun day on Larchmere! Share your creative side by dressing up and participating in the local parade, joining the Fit Challenge, or enjoy ice cream, live music, crafts, and local food trucks!

Join us at Loganberry Books for the Margaret Bernstein story hour, starting at 11:00am. Margaret, a journalist, author, literacy advocate and a leader of the Little Free Library movement, noticed there were too few children's books featuring Black fathers, so she wrote some (3 and counting). Children and parents are encouraged to come hear her read and to engage in the positive messages of her books.

Please note: a portion of Larchmere Boulevard will be closed for the parade, 11am-1:30pm.

RCH-Logo-1

Juneteenth

A Fundraiser for Restore Cleveland Hope
Saturday, June 17, 10am-6pm
Join us in honoring the history of Black American emancipation and ongoing liberation work for Juneteenth! On Saturday, June 17, Loganberry will donate 10% of all purchases (in-store or online) to Restore Cleveland Hope, and the newly reopened Cozad-Bates House, which educates about Cleveland's anti-slavery legacy and role in the Underground Railroad.

Other ways to honor the day in the neighborhood:
-- ThirdSpace Action Lab and Reading Room (1464 E. 105th St.) have an incredible weeklong lineup of events, including a book-shopping spree where you can fill a bag of books for $20!
-- Kings & Queens (12806 Larchmere) is organizing free festivities with African drumming and other cultural events on Saturday, June 17, right here on the Boulevard!

porchfest-s

Larchmere PorchFest

Saturday, June 24, 1-8:30pm
~annual~
PorchFest, one of Cleveland's best-loved music festivals returns to Larchmere! 30 Bands on 30 Stages! See the full lineup here.

Come browse the boulevard, explore the neighborhood, expand your musical horizons, enjoy street food and homegrown bands--including a Loganberry staff member's family member! And, it's totally FREE! All ages welcome.

Ride your bike or take the rapid since parking will be hard to come by!

Sales, Specials, and FYIs

download

On Sale This Month

During the month of June, the whole Sciences alcove is 20% off! This includes both social AND quantitative sciences, along with our Feminism and LGBTQ Studies section. From black holes at the farthest edge of the galaxy to the workings of your own mind and heart, you'll find something to expand your horizons here.

Capote title page

Collectible Books for Any Budget!

You probably know Truman Capote for his true crime classic In Cold Blood. You can get to know the younger Capote in Local Color, his third book, released in 1950. It includes notes and sketches about persons and places, including travel journal-style essays on cities and countries Capote had lived in or visited.

Browse our ever-expanding collectible listings here, or email wendy@logan.com for a personalized suggestion for any budget!

252190808 png 1685464224973

Great Gifts

We're excited to be stocking a new line of gifts (including this shirt!), prints and cards from The Little Gay Shop, a small LGBTQ+-owned business in Austin, TX.

New cards, stickers, and gifts arrive in-store every week. We're happy to help put together a one-of-a-kind book-and-gift combo tailored to any occasion!

64fdc0cd84df37be08c4f9926cf9faca

Used Book Buying

Mondays and Fridays are our buying days, but please call us before you come in. As usual, we offer cash or 20% more in store credit for used and collectible books that we deem saleable, and you'll need to take away any we decline to purchase. You can find more details about our buying procedures here. We look forward to seeing your treasures!

469-4698575 tall-stack-of-books-transparent-hd-png-download

Bulk Order Discounts

Does your church, synagogue, school, or company need to order 10 or more copies of a book for a group read or special event? Order from Loganberry and receive a discount! We can even deliver to your location free of charge! Contact elisabeth@logan.com for more details!

purple-present-box-isolated-27074455
▪ Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books
▪ Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
▪ Loganberry Curated Reads: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for over 25 years!
▪ Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
▪ Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm.
▪ Social Media: **Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and the Loganberry Blog.**
Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books
Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
Loganberry Curated Reads: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for over 25 years!
Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm.
Social Media: **Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and the Loganberry Blog.**

Read along with our booksellers for LGBTQ+ Pride Month!

Click any title below to purchase a book for mailing or in-store pickup!

1250810515.01. SCLZZZZZZZ SX500

Harriett recommends Yerba Buena by Nina Lacour: "Nina LaCour is known best for her YA romances, and this coming-of-age adult novel is no different, save for its heavy dose of trauma that catalyzes the difficult journey of these young heroines. In short order, both Sara and Emilie find exceptional professional success, every bit as dreamy as the California-sun-drenched language and indeed, the romance of these young women. Recommended for romantics who’ve had their share of hard luck and still rejoice in the sunlight."

71fnGS-LxbL. AC UF1000 1000 QL80

Devon recommends Ander & Santi Were Here by Johnny Garza Villa: "This is an inspired piece of contemporary queer fiction. Villa addresses being Latine close to the Mexican-American border and the everyday hassle of immigration forces, while still writing a touching story about family, love, and art. This book truly had me wrapped around its finger– it is equal parts beautiful love story and a crucial call to action.""

4bd6b671-52f6-4f8a-8fa1-f5109f3fd607.703d2cc29c6b3d0576f471d2024156ec

Elisabeth recommends On a Woman's Madness by Astrid Roemer "Take assumptions you might have about "queer women's narratives" or about "Black women's stories" and get ready to have them turned sideways, made strange, and confounded. Originally published in Dutch in 1982 and only just this year translated into English, this queer coming of age story about a young Black woman in Suriname is disorienting and hallucinatory and richly exciting."

9780679755333-us

Cat recommends A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry: "I recently read this play for the first time based on a recommendation by author Isabel Wilkerson, and am so glad I did. The story deepened my understanding of The Great Migration's continuing effects on family members of those who migrated. I was transported to a time that seems far away, but in reality displays how segregated communities still are today, with a special highlight on Chicago in this play."

md31476282721

Toni recommends A Walk Through the Forest of Souls: A Tarot Journey to Spiritual Awakening by Rachel Pollack: "This is the latest (and last) book on tarot by one of the true masters in the field (published just weeks after her death), who also happens to be an award-winning science fiction writer, a transgender activist, and the creator of the first trans character in mainstream comics (Doom Patrol's Coagula, introduced in 1991). Rachel Pollack was also a mentor of mine, and one of the wisest, kindest, and funniest people I have ever known. This book dives into the symbolism, mythic elements, and spiritual possibilities of the tarot -- which Pollack said she thought of as 'a kind of wise friend that helps discover who we are.' Pair with her classic Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom."

9781324092070

Wendy recommends Once Upon a Tome by Oliver Darkshire: "Oliver Darkshire regales readers with his adventures as an apprentice antiquarian bookseller at the esteemed Sotheran’s in London. Quirky customers face off with equally quirky booksellers in a memoir filled with laugh-out-loud moments, real-life lessons on the book trade, and tender reflections on life as a gay man whose path to bookselling was somewhat irregular."

Thanks for reading,
Harriett & all the Loganberries

▪ Open Mon-Wed & Fri-Sat: 10-6, Thurs: 10am-8:30, Sun 12-5
▪ Masks recommended
▪ It's so nice to see you, thanks for stopping by!
Open Mon-Wed & Fri-Sat: 10-6, Thurs: 10am-8:30, Sun 12-5
Masks recommended
It's so nice to see you, thanks for stopping by!

Like   Tweet