From: Loganberry Books <loganberrybooks@gmail.com>
Subject: Loganberry News November 2023
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 15:51:15 +0000
To: Harriett Logan <books@logan.com>
Loganberry News November 2023

shopping-at-local-independent-bookstores-is-a-gift-to-community-822c44f312159284

Loganberry News November 2023

Ready or not, the nights are drawing in and the holidays are fast approaching! At Loganberry, we're hard at work transforming the Annex Gallery into its annual alter-ego: Otis' Old Curiosity Shop, filled with holiday cards, stocking stuffers, and special gifts you'll be hard-pressed to find anywhere else.

But don't worry: there's plenty to savor in the coming month without putting all our focus on year-end gifting. We've got wonderful author events throughout the month, book discussion groups that welcome all, and a roundup of reads that celebrate Native American history and heritage. And this Saturday, October 28, merchants up and down the Boulevard will celebrate Halloween with a Candy Run for the whole family, including Corn Hole and a Haunted Bookshop scavenger hunt here at Loganberry! We hope to see you this weekend and many more times before the snow starts to fly.

Author Events

612gJIc0JaL. AC UF1000 1000 QL80

Nicole Robinson: Without a Field Guide
Wednesday, November 1, 7pm
~in-store~
Join the Audubon Society of Greater Cleveland at a Loganberry event with poet Nicole Robinson for a reading and talk on her debut poetry collection, Without a Field Guide.

Nicole Robinson combines lyric intensity with narrative sweep, attending to the challenge of navigating life “without a field guide / to identify who I am or where I’m flying.” At the center of this collection lies an unsentimental yet deeply joyful regard for the natural world that she portrays with vivid originality. Immersing herself and her reader in this ecology, Robinson ultimately returns to the human world with a new, hard-won tenderness.

Nicole Robinson's recent poems have appeared in Columbia Journal, The Fourth River, Great River Review, Grist, Literary Imagination, The Louisville Review, Tahoma Literary Review, and elsewhere. She is the recipient of an Individual Excellence Award for poetry from the Ohio Arts Council and the Humanities Award from the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine. She serves as the narrative medicine coordinator at Akron Children’s Hospital.

Noyes-Guys-Girl

Emma Noyes: Guy's Girl
Thursday, November 2, 7pm
Join author Emma Noyes to celebrate the release of her new romance novel, Guy's Girl, with a reading and signing at Loganberry Books.

Ginny Murphy is a total guy’s girl. She’s always found friendships with boys easier to form and keep drama-free – as long as they don’t fall for her, and she doesn’t fall for them. But then she meets Adrian Silvas, the only one who’s ever made her crave more, and Ginny begins to question her own rules. Heartfelt and evocative, Guy's Girl is a powerful story about true love, self-love, and growing up.

Emma Noyes grew up in a suburb outside Chicago and attended Harvard University, where she studied history & literature. She started her career at a beer company, but left because she wanted to write about mermaids and witches—eventually publishing her first YA fantasy series, The Sunken City. She now lives in Chicago and Guy’s Girl is her adult debut.

9781324004660

Sarah Lohman: Endangered Eating in conversation with Jeremy Umansky
Thursday, November 30, 7pm
~in-store~
Sarah Lohman comes to Loganberry in celebration of her new book Endangered Eating: America's Vanishing Foods at Loganberry Books in conversation with Chef, Restaurateur, author, and James Beard-Award semifinalist, Jeremy Umansky of Larder.

In Endangered Eating, culinary historian Sarah Lohman travels the country learning about the distinct ingredients at risk of being lost. Readers follow Lohman to Hawaii, the Navajo Nation, the Upper Midwest, the Pacific Northwest, the Gulf Coast, and to the Lowcountry of South Carolina. Lohman learns from those who love these rare ingredients: shepherds, fishers, and farmers; scientists, historians, and activists. Each chapter includes two recipes, so readers can be a part of saving these ingredients by purchasing and preparing them.

Sarah Lohman is the author of Eight Flavors and her work has been featured in the New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and The Washington Post. Formerly the Curator of Food Programming at the Lower East Side Tenement Museum, she currently works with institutions around the country to create public programs focused on food. Originally from Hinckley, OH, she currently lives in Las Vegas.

Jeremy Umansky is a chef/owner of Larder in Cleveland, Ohio, nominated by the James Beard Foundation as the Best New Restaurant in America in 2019. He is the author of the James Beard Award-nominated cookbook Koji Alchemy.

Order a signed copy to pick up or have mailed!

Local Voices

9781476687766

Burt Griffin: JFK, Oswald, and Ruby: Politics, Prejudice, and Truth
Tuesday, November 7, 7pm
~Porter Library in Westlake, 27333 Center Ridge Rd~

Author and Former Warren Commission assistant counsel Burt Griffin will appear at the Porter Library in Westlake to talk about his book JFK, Oswald, and Ruby, and to share what he has learned about the assassinations of President Kennedy and other events in November 1963. Judge Griffin tells why Oswald and Ruby committed murder on the weekend we cannot forget, and will signing copies of his book JFK, Oswald, and Ruby: Politics, Prejudice, and Truth.

LMA-holiday-art-s

Larchmere Holiday Stroll + Indies First

Friday, November 24, 10am-8:30pm
Saturday, November 25, 10am-6pm
Sunday, November 26, 12-5pm
~annual~
The Larchmere Holiday Stroll has been a Cleveland tradition for over 50 years! Come see what’s new, what endures, and help us wish Gentleman’s Quarters a grand send-off after 5 decades in business. At Loganberry Books, we celebrate the 15th anniversary of Otis' Old Curiosity Shop, our popular holiday pop-up shop. We also feature local authors in a meet-and-greet, on all three days of the Stroll:

Friday:
11am: Miesha W. Headen: Cleveland Noir
2pm: Tobias Buckell: A Stranger in the Citadel
3:30pm: P.M. Amaras & Paul Driggere: 3:30pm: Shadows in Light

Saturday:
11am: Sarah Lohman: Endangered Eating
12:30pm: Annie Zaleski: This is Christmas, Song by Song
2pm: Angie Hockman: Shipped & Dream On
3pm: Carlo Wolff: Invisible Soul
4:30pm: Brandi Larsen: Uncultured

Sunday:
12pm: Jennifer Boresz Engelking: Lost Lake Erie
1pm: David Giffels: The Beginning Was the End: Devo in Ohio
2:30pm: Tony Marini: Pennie the Christmas Pickle

Book Clubs & Discussion Groups

Sex-Lives-African-Women

Queer Book Club

The Sex Lives of African Women by Nana Darkoa Sekyiamah
Thursday, November 16, 7pm
~in-store and online~
In these confessional pages, women control their own bodies and desires, work toward healing their painful pasts, and learn to assert their sexual power. Weaving a rich tapestry of experiences with a sex positive outlook, The Sex Lives of African Women is an empowering, subversive book that celebrates the liberation, individuality, and joy of African women’s multifaceted sexuality.

Nana Darkoa Sekyiamah has spent decades talking openly and intimately to African women around the world about sex for her blog, “Adventures from the Bedrooms of African Women.” For this book she spoke to over 30 African women across the globe while chronicling her own journey toward sexual freedom.

Registration is required for the Zoom portion of the meeting before 6 pm on the day of the meeting.

Buy a copy of the book for 10% off!

UP NEXT:
December 21 - For the Thrill of Lit: The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman

61pArLYFaFL. AC UF1000 1000 QL80

Naturalist's Notebook

Sy Montgomery: The Soul of an Octopus
Sunday, November 19, 1pm
~quarterly; in-store and online~
Sy Montgomery, award-winning American naturalist writer, pursues the "subjects" of her books not just with her intellectual curiosity but with her whole being. Delving into the life of these intelligent creatures, Montgomery takes us down a path of investigation of their lives to "falling in love" with several of these octopuses (not octopi!) through her beautiful writing and sensitive engagement.

Our community discussion of The Soul of An Octopus: A Surprising Exploration into the World of Consciousness will be held in person at Loganberry Books with a hybrid virtual option.

The event is free but registration required at this link.

Community Arts & Culture

OOCS-2022-south-400x300

Otis' Old Curiosity Shop

Over the next few weeks, Otis' Old Curiosity Shop, our beloved holiday pop-up shop in the Annex Gallery, will be taking shape, with a grand opening the weekend after Thanksgiving. For more 15 years, the Curiosity Shop has offered a Dickensian treasure trove of holiday gifts, local crafts, vintage curiosities, and fabulous toys. Check early and often as this event comes but once a year, and special items sell out quickly!

Logo of National Novel Writing Month

NaNoWriMo Write-Ins

Fridays, November 3, 10, 17, 6-8:30pm
~in-store, annual~
Sure, other people may have dates or concerts or other Friday night plans, but we know some people are just glad to have free time to write. If that’s you, and you like being around other people, but not necessarily being sociable, this is the write-in event for you!

Bring your notebooks or laptop, and register at the front desk when you arrive: if you make it to all three Friday Write-Ins, you'll win a mug! (You can learn more about NaNoWriMo here).

broadsides-lg

Broadsides & Ephemera

Featured Readers: Lindsay Turner, Philip Metres, Charles Kell
Thursday, November 9, 7pm
~in-store; second Thursdays~
It's a three-poet night at Broadsides & Ephemera!
Lindsay Turner is the author of the poetry collections The Upstate and Songs & Ballads. Her translations from the French have been longlisted for the National Translation Awards, shortlisted for the Best Translated Book Award, and named a New York Times Top 10 poetry collection. Originally from northeast Tennessee, she is Assistant Professor of English and Creative Writing at Case Western Reserve University.

Philip Metres is the author of ten books, including Shrapnel Maps, The Sound of Listening, Pictures at an Exhibition, Sand Opera. His work has garnered fellowships from the Guggenheim Foundation, the Lannan Foundation, the National Endowment for the Arts, the Ohio Arts Council, the Watson Foundation. He is professor of English and director of the Peace, Justice, and Human Rights program at John Carroll University.

Charles Kell is the author of Ishmael Mask, and Cage of Lit Glass, which was chosen for the 2018 Autumn House Press Poetry Prize. Kell’s poetry and fiction have appeared in The New Orleans Review, The Saint Ann’s Review, Kestrel, Columbia Journal, The Pinch, Brooklyn Review, Laurel Review, on Verse Daily, and elsewhere. He is assistant professor of English at CCRI and editor of The Ocean State Review.

We hope you'll join us for this special reading and literary gathering, free and open to all.

KidsBookBanklogo cropped-web

Kids Book Bank Fundraiser

Tuesday, November 28, 6-8pm
~in-store and online~
We're delighted to host a fundraising evening in partnership with Fairport Wealth for the Kids Book Bank. Between 6pm-8pm on Tuesday, November 28, get a started on holiday shopping at Loganberry while enjoying festive refreshments generously provided by Fairport.

Loganberry will donate 20% of all sales made online or in-store between 6pm-8pm to the important work of the Cleveland Kids Book Bank. The event is free and open to all, so bring a friend along for a fun evening to support this great cause!

Sales, Specials, and FYIs

download

On Sale This Month

Whether you've got a song in your heart or would like to put one there, November is your month at Loganberry, because our whole Music Section is 20% off! We've books on everything from Gregorian Chant to Blues to Experimental Jazz, music theory, history, and biography. Don't miss your chance to stop by and browse!

ALSO: All Haunted Curiosity Shop Halloween merchandise and decor will be 20% off on Monday, 10/30 and Tuesday, 10/31!

Jams cover dj

Collectible Books for Any Budget

Have you brought your harvest home and now you're unsure of what to do with it? Expert English Herbalist Mrs. CF Leyel has some suggestions of where to start in this gorgeous 1925 first edition of The Complete Jam Cupboard, with very scarce dust jacket.

Browse our ever-expanding collectible listings here, or email wendy@logan.com for a personalized suggestion for any budget!

64fdc0cd84df37be08c4f9926cf9faca

Used Book Buying

We've paused walk-in used book buying* to focus on holiday hustle and bustle, but we'll start up again in late January. Watch this space and our website for updates!

*Select appointments for collectible books may be available in November and December; please write to Harriett@logan.com with details about your collection.

469-4698575 tall-stack-of-books-transparent-hd-png-download

Bulk Order Discounts

Does your church, synagogue, school, book club, or company need to order 10 or more copies of a book for a group read or special event? Order from Loganberry and receive a discount! Contact elisabeth@logan.com for more details!

purple-present-box-isolated-27074455
▪ Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books
▪ Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
▪ Loganberry Curated Reads: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for over 25 years!
▪ Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
▪ Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm.
▪ Social Media: **Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and the Loganberry Blog.**
Our Online Store: In-store stock of new and collectible books
Bookshop.org: Buy books that we don't have in-store, have them shipped directly to you, and we'll get a portion of the sale!
Loganberry Curated Reads: Hand-selected books mailed to readers monthly for over 25 years!
Gift Certificates: online or over the phone at 216-795-9800.
Digital Audiobooks from Loganberry via Libro.fm.
Social Media: **Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and the Loganberry Blog.**

Read along with our booksellers for Native American Heritage Month!

Click any title below to purchase a book for mailing or in-store pickup

9780593530061

Harriett recommends Kapaemahu by Hinaleimoana Wong-Kalu: "This is beautiful picture book tells the 15th century Hawaiian legend of the Mahu, healers of dual male and female mind, heart, and spirit. Stones they left behind on beach were imbued with special powers, but were forgotten and ignored over time, eventually being buried under a bowling alley. The restoration of the Mahu stones to a place of prominence on Waikiki Beach honors their healing legacy and the Mahu tradition. This bilingual project came together with contributions from indigenous storyteller Hinaleimoana Wong-Kalu, filmmakers Dean Hamer and Joe Wilson, and illustrated by Daniel Sousa, and the short film of the same name was nominated for an Academy Award."

9781571311450

Sarah recommends The Lost Journals of Sacajewea by Deborah Magpie Earling: "In Debra Magpie Earling's brave, unique, and poetic telling of the life of Sacajewea, we see what was probably closer to the truth of a much-mythologized young Native American girl growing up over two hundred years ago. I loved this haunting and memorable novel so much!"

9780062694065

Devon recommends The Future Home of the Living God by Lousie Erdrich: "In this near-future dystopia where evolution starts to move backwards, we follow pregnant woman Cedar as she navigates the growing dangers of being a visibly pregnant person when the government wants to start rounding them up for forced breeding programs. Erdrich wrote this book as a response to early 2000’s politics, and it continues to be relevant title with reproductive rights still being debated, as well as addressing the topics of adoption and Native American struggles."

9781953534019-20230714201734

Elisabeth recommends White Magic by Elissa Washuta: "In this memoir in essays, Elissa Washuta writes about the insidious relationships between New Age cultural appropriation and a long history of indigenous genocide in North America. She expertly pairs the personal and political (or makes us see that they are inextricable) in this compulsively readable book."

9781640091603

Julie recommends Heart Berries by Terese Marie Mailhot has written a compelling memoir of growing up in an abusive home environment, as well as her experience as having Bipolar and PTSD as an adult. She has written this book to overcome those tired stories and make a new one for herself, and I'm glad I could accompany her.

61dvCRd0lPL. AC UF1000 1000 QL80

Wendy recommends Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline In a future where the continent has been ravaged by climate change and non-Native people have lost the capability to dream, Indigenous people are hunted for their bone marrow, which may hold the key to regaining a dream state. 16-year-old Frenchie and his found family of fellow Native Americans create a life on the run, hiding in the dense forests of Canada and learning to survive while being guided by the wisdom of their elders. This haunting story is both sad and encouraging, offering new meanings for family, love, and coming of age.

9780063064164

Toni recommends: The Birchbark House by Louise Erdrich: "This is the first in a 9-book middle grade series following 100 years in the life of an Ojibwe family on the shores of Lake Superior, with illustrations by the author. It's a beautiful, humorous, and moving series for any young reader but especially those whose parents loved Little House on the Prairie, but have come to understand its limitations."

Coming next month:

Great Gift Recommendations!

Thanks for reading,
Harriett & all the Loganberries

▪ Open Mon-Wed & Fri: 10-6, Thurs: 10am-8:30, Sun 12-5
▪ Masks recommended
▪ It's so nice to see you, thanks for stopping by!
Open Mon-Wed & Fri: 10-6, Thurs: 10am-8:30, Sun 12-5
Masks recommended
It's so nice to see you, thanks for stopping by!

Like   Tweet