From: Harriett R. Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: Vegetarian Greetings from Loganberry Books
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 20:12:24 -0400
To: <LoganberryNews@logan.com>
Salutations ~

pdfand autumnal greetings!  Did you know October is World Vegetarian Month?  Well, it is.  It's an international celebration, in fact.   As such, I've encouraged my neighbor Laurie at the Larchmere Tavern to cook up some special vegetarian selections this month.  With the help of Loganberry's extensive cookbook collection, as well as her own secrets, she has.  Stop in the Larchmere Tavern anytime this month and savor some meatless morsels.  And enjoy a 10% discount on any cookbooks at Loganberry Books this month, too.  Go Veg!

Don't forget to admire Gene Epstein's altered book sculptures on display at the new Cleveland Heights Public Library.  It's at the top of the stairs, on the way towards the famed bridge.

Exciting recent acquisitions
Mommy?

  • Mommy?, a new pop-up book by Maurice Sendak and Matthew Reinhart
  • small prints and lithographs, suitable for framing
  • The Art of Peter Max
  • 2007 calendars, including We'Moon, art, and vistas to make you smile all year
  • Tinkerbelle, the sloop that sailed the Atlantic
  • some fascinating old theatre books

N.O.B.S. Cleveland Antiquarian Book Show
Friday, October 6, 4:00pm-8:00pm
Saturday, October 7, 10:00am-4:00pm
Case Western Reserve University's Adelbert Gymnasium
The Northern Ohio Bibliophilic Society has been sponsoring antiquarian book fairs for about twenty years, but it's been awhile since we've had one in Cleveland.  Cuyahoga Falls, yes; Akron, yes; Chagrin Falls, yes; but not recently in Cleveland.  So, welcome back to the world of antiquarian book fairs in Cleveland!  Over 40 regional dealers are expected to show their best wares in the book-reknown Adelbert Gymnasium of Case Western Reserve University.  Co-sponsored by Case's Kelvin Smith Library, this new location should be the perfect venue for book enthusiasts of all kinds to seek and find biblio treasures.
$4 general admission, free to NOBS members, half-price to Case community
.
http://www.nobsweb.org/

Book Signing
Mark SoutherSaturday, October 14, 1-3pm
J. Mark Souther, New Orleans on Parade
book signing

New Orleans on Parade tells the story of the Big Easy in the twentieth century.  Mark Souther explores the Crescent City's unique culture and reveals how New Orleans became a city that parades itself to visitors and residents alike.  The book traces the ascendancy of the tourism industry in New Orleans through the final decades of the twentieth century and beyond, including the devastating blow dealt by Hurricane Katrina. Narrated in a lively style, New Orleans on Parade is a landmark book that allows readers to understand the image-making of the Big Easy.
Author Bio:  J. Mark Souther is assistant professor of history at Cleveland State University.  He lived in New Orleans for seven years and now resides in Cleveland Heights.
Louisiana State Univ Press, 2006, hardback, $34.95
http://academic.csuohio.edu/souther_m/

N.O.B.S. Forums
Thursday, October 19, 7pm
Ken Palko: Fine Binding in Cleveland: Hardy, Maillard and Pilon
Ken Palko is a book collector, dealer, and professor of philosophy at Notre Dame College.  He found a book bound by these three French book binders working in Cleveland at the beginning of the last century and researched their story.  He discovered a tale filled with appreciation for art and craftsmanship, immigration, exploitation, business failure and even suicide!
Free to NOBS members, $3 non-members.
http://www.nobsweb.org/

Book Signing
Cleveland MetroparksSaturday, October 21, 1-3pm
Tom Matowitz,
Cleveland Metroparks  (Images of America)
book signing
A century ago, William A. Stinchcomb, aged 27, closed his annual report as chief engineer of parks for the City of Cleveland with a challenge to create an outer ring of parks and boulevards to benefit all residents of Greater Cleveland. By 1912, legislation authorizing it had been enacted, and three acres of land were acquired through a donation. This formed the nucleus of the vast park system that now includes almost 21,000 acres. Cleveland Metroparks has provided generations of area residents with readily accessible facilities for year-round recreation. The park provides opportunities for hiking, horseback riding, swimming, cycling, golfing, and boating. Use of the park, which crosses the boundaries of approximately 48 communities in the Cleveland area, has become a tradition for many families.
Author Bio: Thomas G. Matowitz Jr. is a lifelong resident of the Greater Cleveland area who grew up on the edge of Cleveland Metroparks Rocky River Reservation. He tells the park’s story with pictures from a wide range of local sources, including the Cleveland State University Library, local historical societies, and the park’s own collection.
Arcadia Publishing, 2006,  128 pages, $19.99
http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/

Book Signing
Forest HillSaturday, October 28, 1-3pm
Sharon E. Gregor,
Forest Hill: The Rockefeller Estate  (Images of America)
book signing

John D. Rockefeller's Cleveland roots stretched across the oil-drenched banks and murky flats of Kingsbury Run in Cleveland and ended in the wooded sanctuary at Forest Hill. Six miles east of Public Square, Forest Hill was the Rockefeller family's country estate and summer home for four decades. It had formal gardens, greenhouses, a lake and lily pond, a golf course, a horse track, and acres of farmland. In the early 1900s, tourists and local residents rode the streetcar out Millionaires' Row to East Cleveland, where they peered through the imposing iron gates scrolled with an R to peek at the gatekeeper's lodge, the manicured lawns, and the road that led to the mansion atop the hill. Unfortunately, in 1917, Forest Hill burned to the ground. Because so many records, mementos, and photographs perished, the estate remains as shrouded in secrecy today as it did during its lifetime. Forest Hill: The Rockefeller Estate unveils the story of the estate, how it evolved and changed over the years, and how its legacy continues.
Author Bio:
Sharon E. Gregor coordinated the effort that placed 81 Rockefeller homes on the National Register of Historic Places. She is a founder of the Forest Hill Historic Preservation Society and served as its first president. Gregor most recently served as chairperson of the City of East Cleveland's Historic Preservation Board.
Arcadia Publishing, 2006,  128 pages, $19.99
http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/

Stump the Bookseller  Selection of the month
Stump the BooksellerG351: Ghost story teenagers & rituals
I read this book when I was about 11 back in 1981 & it was definitely set in modern times -  I'm English but don't remember if the book was. The characters were (a group of?) teenagers & it was set in a house haunted by a malevolent spirit. There may have been a poltergeist involved beacause I clearly remember a wardrobe falling onto a character & pinning them to the bed. One character used to use rituals to try to ward of the evil spirit or to help them calm down? It was a very dark novel aimed at young adult readers. Not quite sure why I'd like to re-read this but it's just one of those books that has stuck in my brain!!!!

Gaming Girls
dominoesThursday, October 12, 7pm
Texas Hold 'em?  Nah, go futher south.  It's Mexican Train we're playing, a version of dominoes.  About as much fun as a double twelve in pea green.  Make that army green, or olive.  Nah, dusty loden.  Verde.

Annex Gallery
Jon AbrahamsonThursday, October 5, 6-8pm
Jon Abrahamson:  Urban Wonderland
Annex Gallery Opening Reception

Jon Abrahamson is a Cleveland Heights resident who loves puttering around Cleveland on his bicycle recording the bitter and sweet tableaus that make this city charming and alarming.  Come meet the artist and chat about photography, existence, etc.  Show continues through October 30.

I hope to see you browsing at Loganberry soon!

peace,
Harriett

Loganberry Books
13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800
Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/

Image
Image