From: Harriett R. Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: Loganberry Books just keeps getting better...
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 17:30:59 -0500
To: <LoganberryNews@logan.com>
Salutations!

Our Thursday evenings are becoming popular with various groups of artists, musicians, collectors and readers.  Join us sometime; there's always room for more educated and interesting folks around here.  We'll be open until 8 at the least -- or longer when the band plays or we get excited...

Exciting recent acquisitions
Bunny Planet

  • reprint of Rosemary Wells' Voyage to the Bunny Planet, with cool magnetic flap
  • Great American Glass of the Roaring 20s and Depression Era
  • Asian and Indian art exhibition catalogs
  • Eric Gill: The Sculptures
  • The Arts and Crafts Movement in Europe and America
  • prequel to the Anne of Green Gables series (by Budge Wilson)
  • a new translation of Stanislovsky's An Actor Prepares and Building a Character
  • Shop Rearrangements:  economics and business, politics and law in new, expanded sections
Annex Gallery
Carolyn Fitzgerald: Conscious
Thursday, March 6, 6-8pm
~ first Thursdays ~
Before Carolyn Fitzgerald ran the excellent Cafe Limbo, she was an artist.  Now she's returned to her roots, and is featuring oil abstract paintings in this Annex Gallery show.  She gets extra kudos from Loganberry for creative use of space, which you must see for yourself.  Come say hello and enjoy the other creative side of Carolyn Fitzgerald.  She'd love to see her old friends...  Show runs March 6 - 31.

In Concert
Gene's Jazz HotGene's Jazz Hot
In Concert
Thursday, March 13, 6:30pm-9:00pm

~ second Thursdays ~
Speaking of Cafe Limbo, if you miss the good ol' days of haning out in a cool spot on Larchmere and listening to a great happy band, then stop pining!  Gene's Jazz Hot has made a second-Thursday home at Loganberry, and the ambiance and acoustics are great.  Bring some friends, bring some food, and enjoy a pleasant night out surrounded by books, friends, and great vibes.  Food and wine welcome.  Cookies provided.  Donations for the band gladly accepted.

N.O.B.S. Forums
Larry Rakow:  Little Golden Books
N.O.B.S. Forums
Thursday, March 20, 7pm
~ third Thursdays ~
Larry not only knows a wealth of publishing and artist history as relates to the famous Little Golden Book series, he owns the best examples.  Come hear how the company got started, and the major players who made it famous.  Learn how to identify first editions, and recognize some of the more scare and desirable titles.  $3 suggested donation.

N.O.B.S. 26th Akron Antiquarian Book Fair
Friday, March 21, 3:00-8:30pm and Saturday, March 22, 10:00-4:00pm
John S. Knight Center, Akron
Old & Rare, Readable & Collectible Books, Maps & Prints! More than 60 dealers!  Featuring:  First Editions • Children's Books • Americana • Maps • Prints • Illustrated Books • Mysteries • Science Fiction • Cookbooks • Civil War • Aviation • Art • Literature • Travel.   Sponsored by the Northern Ohio Bibliophilic Society.  For information: (330) 865-5831

Stump the Bookseller  Selection of the month
Stump the BooksellerB621: Bobby and grandpa search for apple
Golden books, 1970, approximately.  Book begins with grandpa telling Bobby to find an apple and he will show him how to roast it.  Bobby went searching .. But it was autumn and apple trees were bare.  He gathered a bucket of nuts.  Visited many farms, finally finding an apple from harvest and book ends  with his grandpa placing the apple over the fire in the fireplace.

Bloomsday Club
Thursday, March 27, 7pm
~ fourth Thursdays ~
Aha!  The famous Chapter Ten, and a virtual tour of Dublin.  It is said that Joyce wrote this chapter with a map of Dublin in front of him and traced the paths of most of the characters who appear in this chapter, in the wee hours between 3 and 4 a.m.  He calculated how long it would take each character to make their routes, and therefore when they might run into each other or arrive at new destinations.  So, all we need now is a grant so we can all go to Dublin ourselves and test Joyce's skill.  After all, wasn't Joyce living in Paris for most of the time spent writing this book?  (Maybe we'll need a grant to go to Paris, too.)

Austeniana Club
Thursday, March 27, 7pm
~ fourth Thursdays ~
We're off to a great start, and have a good-sized group to discuss the merits and rewards of reading Austen.  We're working in a chronological order, and that means Pride and Prejudice is next.  So, don't just watch the BBC film, read the real thing and come let us know your thoughts.  We're even tracking the various character types in a big chart so we can compare Austen's writing development over time.  Join us for any or all of our ongoing Austen discussions, always on the fourth Thursday of the month.

Edible Books Festival
Saturday, April 5, 1pm
~ every first Saturday in April ~
Join us for the fifth year of Loganberry Books and Strong Bindery's hosting of the Edible Books Festival in Cleveland.  It's an international event with exhibitions and competitions all over the world, but here in Cleveland we have just one rule:  make edible art that has something to do with books.  How people choose to interpret that rule is wherein lies the fun.  Entrants: please register with Loganberry Books ahead of time, and bring your creations before 1pm.  At 2pm, we'll vote on the winners, and grab our forks.  Don't be late, the creations don't last long after that!  $3 to vote and eat (free to look).  For more information, visit our FAQ page and photos of the past four years festivals.
http://www.loganberrybooks.com/edible-books.html

And, in between all these great events, be sure to enjoy the Cleveland International Film Festival

peace,
Harriett

Loganberry Books
13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800
Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm; most Thursdays 'til 8pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/

Image
Image
Image