From: Harriett Logan <Harriett@Logan.com>
Subject: Sidewalk Sale! Loganberry Books!
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 12:13:54 -0400
To: <LoganberryNews@logan.com>
Salutations!
It's time for the
Larchmere Sidewalk Sale!

flyerSaturday, May 24, 11am-5pm
~ Memorial Day weekend ~
It's Sidewalk Season!  One of our favorite aspects of old Main Street charm is spilling the merchandise out onto the sidewalks and making a shopping spree that is in part a summer celebration, part social camaraderie, and always part sales temptation.  And at Loganberry Books, we mark all books 20% off -- we only do it twice a year -- and offer even deeper discounts on select titles.  It's worth checking out.  Better yet, it's a lot of fun.

Exciting recent acquisitions
Loganberry

  • Grove's Dictionary of Music:  1922- 6 volumes, 1964- 9 volumes, 1980- 20 volumes
  • interesting Asian history and literature
  • The Journals of Charles Chesnutt  (new paperback, nicely done)
  • boxed Prehistorica pop-up books by Robert Sabuda
  • Archaelogia Mundi:  Persia I & II
  • First Edition Freya Stark
  • signed Faith Ringgold picture book on Martin Luther King Jr.
  • The Art of Perfume
  • Dr. Henry Schliemann's Ilios:  The City and Country of The Trojans, 1880, with maps
  • They Sang for Horses: The Impact of the Horse on Navajo and Apache Folklore
Annex Gallery
Terry MichelleTerry Michelle:  Fear, Death & Fascination
Thursday, June 5, 6-8pm
~ first Thursdays ~
Even professional photographers need to experiment and play.  Wedding photographer by day, Terry Michelle will showcase her abstract and modern photographs, collages and digitally enhanced photographs in the Annex Gallery exhibition.  Opening reception with Terry is always a party, and with luck, she'll have live music, too.  Show runs June 5-30.

In Concert
Gene's Jazz HotGene's Jazz Hot
Thursday, June 12, 6:30pm-9:00pm

~ second Thursdays ~
It's a lovely season to relax and listen to jazz....  especially in the warm acoustics of the LitArts room at Loganberry.  Gene's Jazz Hot delivers a happy melodious sound that makes you think you must be on vacation somewhere -- goofing off and not a tad guilty.  And that's a good thing.  Enjoy life.   Donations for the band gladly accepted.

N.O.B.S. Forums
Animals of the BibleCaldecott Collecting
Thursday, June 19, 7pm
~ third Thursdays ~
The Caldecott Medal is one of the most prestigious awards in children's literature worldwide.  It was founded in 1938 to honor the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children.  It has become one of the most collectible fields in modern books.  Stories of the quest for some of these titles in true first editions (before the ubiquitous gold seal is placed on the dust jacket) can be surprising.  We'll present this NOBS Forum with a panel to present various sides of the history, lore, collections, and unbelievable quest stories.  Join us.  $3 suggested donation.

Stump the Bookseller  Selection of the month
Stump the BooksellerD291: Dragon escapes
I am looking for a book i found as a child.  Its about a dragon.  It was set in the 1920s.  All I remember is that the dragon escapes and a team try and find him.  I remember the dragon being in a gold cage and the people tracking him by hot air balloon.  Also I remember one of the illustrations being of the dragon flying through a cave and in the picture there is a black panther with yellow eyes for spots.  There are lots of illustrations and they were really well done.  Oh and I believe the book was written sometime before 1990 and is not too old.

Bloomsday Club
Thursday, June 26, 7pm
~ fourth Thursdays ~
June 16th is Bloomsday!  Visible Voice Books in Tremont is hosting an evening of readings (Chapter 12 in full, last I heard), drop by to hear!  And of course there's dinner at Nighttown (named after Dublin Red-Light District in Ulysses, after all) and several different book clubs reading Ulysses plan to congregate and meet each other for the occasion.  So no matter if you've read Ulysses twice or if you've only fantasizing about reading it, join us for spirited conversations and folklore.    Our group is currently on Chapter 12.

Austeniana Club
Thursday, June 19, 7pm
~ usually fourth Thursdays ~
Our official reading group meeting will be on the third Thursday of June rather than the fourth Thursday:  so mark your calendar for June 19th.  We just finished Emma and are moving onto Northanger Abbey (a short one for our shorter meeting schedule). Although Northanger Abbey was the first novel Jane Austen managed to sell, it wasn't published until after her death.  Jane's brother Henry managed to buy the rights back from the publisher (who neglected to know of Jane's popularity with 4 other titles), and was then published together with Persuasion in December 1817.   Northanger Abbey is also Austen's book in which the gothic potboiler Mysteries of Udolpho figure most prominently, so take a peak at Ann Radcliffe's book too.  In  July, we'll discuss Persuasion, and then we'll be moving on to the spin-offs, so start researching and compiling a list (there are lots of them).

Larchmere Flea Market & Festival
Flea Market Saturday, June 28, 11am-5pm
Antiques! Collectibles! Arts and crafts! FOOD!  Not to mention workshops, conversations, neighborhood resources, sidewalk chalking, Euclid Beach Rocket Car, balloons, and festival fanfare!  Children who arrive in their Parade the Circle costumes receive prizes.  Loganberry hosts a Local Authors Book Fair with two dozen writers.  Mask making, wool spinning, health seminars, dozens of dealers and other fun and frivolous events will scatter the sidewalks and parking lots of Larchmere Boulevard from Kemper to E. 121st St.  A fantastic neighborhood festival!  Don't miss it!

Vendor registration is closing soon: all forms can be downloaded from www.larchmere.com.  I hope to see you there!

peace,
Harriett

Loganberry Books
13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800
Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm; most Thursdays 'til 8pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/

Image
Image
Image