From: Harriett Logan <Harriett@Logan.com>
Subject: Loganberry celebrates the end of summer with a SALE!
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 17:47:39 -0400
To: <LoganberryNews@logan.com>
Salutations!

Otis convalescingsaleVisitors to the shop have admired Otis's new fashion accessory.  The "daisy hat" is meant to prevent him from licking the nifty stitches he earned after, um, breaking his leg near the hip socket.  He's recovering nicely, although he did have to withdraw from this summer's Olympic games in Beijing.  We've got some Olympic and Chinese books in the window to nurture his competitive spirit, however.

Fiction is always good healing escapism, too, and the August 20% sale on fiction continues through the end of this month until the Sidewalk Sale on August 30, when everything in the store will be 20% off.  Now that's worth jumping -- I mean, celebrating.

Exciting recent acquisitions
Hanff

  • in honor of Brenda's recent trip to the UK, an early edition of 84, Charing Cross Road signed by Helene Hanff
  • lots of old railroading magazines from the '30s and '40s
  • Elephant Poo Poo cards and journals -- yes, it really is
  • enough copies of the out-of-print Women's Diaries of the Westward Journey by Lillian Schlissel to start your own book club!
  • Artist to Artist: 23 Major Illustrators Talk to Children about Their Art by Eric Carle
  • a huge collection of Judaica and academic Jewish religious studies
  • a collection of books by and about adventurer T.E. Lawrence
  • Blackstone's Commentaries, eighth edition from MDCCLXXVIII (that's 1778), in nice leather re-bind
  • The Grift by Debra Ginsberg, a brand new novel about a pseudo-psychic who suddenly becomes a gifted psychic and wrestles with the morality of that gift
  • Poems of Childhood by Eugene Field with full-color plates by Maxfield Parrish
  • 2009 Calendars, oh, say it isn't so...
Larchmere Sidewalk Sale
Sidewalk SaleSaturday, August 30, 11am-5pm
It's time!  The Larchmere Sidewalk Sale returns on Saturday, August 30th!  Specials and summer sales abound up and down Larchmere Boulevard.  Really, if you haven't walked Larchmere lately, you really must treat yourself to a smoothie in the garden patio at Flying Cranes, the wonders of yesteryear in the various antique shops, and the lush colors and textures at Fine Points (to name but a few local attractions).  And then there's Loganberry Books -- famous with tourists! -- which offers a store-wide 20% off sale during Sidewalk Sales.  This store-wide sale happens only twice a year, so come enjoy, especially since we've just unpacked some treasure troves that we found sleeping in storage for over a decade ('tis true).

 Annex Gallery
ZarembaChin-Tsai Liao:  The Journey of Harmony: Chinese Calligraphy & Paintings
Thursday, September 4, 6-8pm
~ first Thursdays ~
A well-known artist in Taiwan, Chin-Tsai Liao, brings his excellent Chinese calligraphy and watercolor paintings to his American debut here at the Annex Gallery.  Liao studied calligraphy from Master Tien-Su Huang, and is now the executive director and instructor of Taiwan Calligraphy and Painting Education Association.  He has won numerous awards in Taiwan for calligraphy and now runs a gallery called Huang Hsueh Art Gallery in Chang Hua City, Taiwan.  Loganberry was pleased to be featured about this show in the Erie Chinese Journal.  Show runs September 4-29.

Gene's Jazz Hot
Gene's Jazz HotThursday, September 11, 7pm-9pm
~ second Thursdays ~
Think of it: an easy evening with happy jazz, surrounded by friends and tons of books.  What could be better?  Bring a friend, make a night of it.  Grab some eats from a local Larchmere eatery, and listen to Gene's Jazz Hot in their favorite acoustic venue.  Then sit back and enjoy the show.   Donations for the band gladly accepted.

N.O.B.S. Forums
Press on Scroll RoadBob Baris:  Printing and Farming
Thursday, September 18, 7pm
~ third Thursdays ~
Bob Baris is the proprietor of Press on Scroll Road. There he makes small editions of the authors he most admires. He designs, handsets type, prints on dampened handmade papers in a pair of iron handpresses. Most commonly the books are illustrated with commissioned wood engravings and bound by Priscilla Spitler at Hands on Bookbinding. His work can be found in the libraries of many major institutions and private collectors and viewed at www.pressonscrollroad.com. Bob will discuss the beginnings of his press, its evolution, what he chooses to print and why, and discuss a year at the press on his farm.   $3 suggested donation.

Stump the Bookseller  Selection of the month
Stump the BooksellerN113: Nursery rhymes and stories
My grandfather gave me a book he found about 1958 (I do not know what year the book was published).  It was a red book (kind of a cloth cover) with a picture of Little Red Riding Hood on the front, a somewhat smaller picture of her in the center on the front of the book. The book was a volume of nursery rhymes and stories and it appeared to be part of a set.  He always told the story of finding it at the local dump and picking it up and giving to me.  Well, years passed and I let my son use the book, but ultimately I lost it in a divorce.  I would give anything to find a copy of this volume.  It contained one rhyme in particular “I Had a Little Doggie” who used to sit and beg, but doggie fell down the stairs and broke his little leg……etc.  The pages were kind of glossy with bright illustrations.  Can your readers provide any assistance?  I greatly appreciate it.

Bloomsday Club
Thursday, September 25, 7pm
~ fourth Thursdays ~
The Bloomsday Club valiantly progresses with Chapter 13 of James Joyce's Ulysses.  I know some new Clevelanders who are old pros at Ulysses, and of course there are other vetrans of the book out there, and we invite all of you to join us.  We need a little peer pressure and reassurance to keep on going, but mind you, this is a dedicated group.  And we're still going.

Austeniana Club
Thursday, September 25, 7pm
~ fourth Thursdays ~
The Austeniana Club has finished all the completed novels of Jane Austen and is now dipping into some spin-offs.  We loved the first one on our list, which is also the oldest:  Old Friends and New Fancies by Sybil G. Brinton.  Next we'll try the sequels penned by Julia Barrett, starting with The Third Sister in September and continuing in October with Presumption.   Newcomers welcome anytime.

Neighborhoods of Shaker Square Home Tour
SHAD Home TourSaturday, September 27, 2-6pm
The first-ever home tour of the Shaker Square neighborhood features some humdinger homes you've been dying to see.  Now's your golden opportunity.  Some of the highlights include:  a single-family home seeking Gold LEED status; two spectacular suites in Moreland Courts; a two-story Shaker Courts penthouse with terraced rooftop garden; a  newly-renovated Cleveland double in the Larchmere neighborhood; a new restaurant in a restored turn-of-the-century home; and a new construction townhome on Larchmere.  Tickets are $15 and can be purchased online.

peace,
Harriett

Loganberry Books
13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800
Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm; Thursdays 'til 8pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/

Image
Image
Image