From: Harriett R. Logan <harriett@loganberrybooks.com>
Subject: Winter Reading from Loganberry Books
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 17:28:25 -0500
To: <LoganberryNews@logan.com>
December snowstormWinter is the time for a good book!

Sick of the snow?  Come to Loganberry Books and curl up with a good book...  There's free tea in the Annex Gallery for you, and lots to look at.  Do the children in your life have their own copy of Virginia Lee Burton's Katy and Big Snow?  Have you read the new book Shackleton's Forgotten Expedition: The Voyage of the Nimrod by Beau Riffenburgh?  Or would rather explore our books on Australia or a good mystery by Agatha Christie?  It's all here waiting for you.

Golden OpportunitiesGolden Opportunities
Sunday, January 16, 11:30am on WKYC Channel 3
Harriett appears on the Golden Opportunities TV show for senior citizens to chat about nostalgic old children's books.  Local attorney Armond Budish takes a break from tax planning and health issues to chat about books and the strong memories they invoke.  Don't mind Harriett's silliness as she tries to give enthusiasm to nostalgic literary memories...

boxes yet to unpackExciting new acquisitions

  • Miss Flora McFlimsey and the Baby New Year, 1951
  • a fabulous collection of Vladimir Nabokov first editions
  • framed characatures of famous actors, like Sir Lawrence Olivier as Macbeth
  • lots of great cat books
  • a great selection of cheap paperback fiction
  • Radford's Bungalows: a 1908 arts and crafts kit-house book
  • the Literary Arts room continues to grow...  check out the Heritage Press collection
  • an original copy of Garth Williams' Elves and Fairies

Local Author Book Signings

Shadow TravelsWilliam Price: Shadow Travels
Saturday, January 15,  1:00-3:00pm
Leaving the Russian Tank corps Wasilly spies for the West while a courier, bodyguard and chauffeur for Chinese Warlords. Drawing upon his martial arts skills and ability to speak many languages, he beats the odds. He continues to meet friends who are constantly changing sides in an era of upheaval in China before the Second World War...

Evan Ames: When Autumn Comes
Friday, January 21, 6:00-8:00pm
Local attorney Karl May wrote a book about taking a second chance with a lost-lost lover... and his novel of reconnection actually set the wheels spinning for a reunion in reality!  Join us for a wine and cheese with the author and learn the amazing story of this work of fiction becoming fact.

Linda Mighdoll:  Get Ready, Get Set, Sell!
Saturday, January 22, 1:00-3:00pm
'Tis the season to get your house ready if you intend on selling in spring.  Hear local real estate expert Linda Mighdoll's advice on readying your house and achieving top dollar on the market, and buy her step-by-step workbook to make it all manageable.

SouthlandGirlfriends Literary Society
Girlfriends Literary Society is an on-going feminist book discussion group that usually meets on the second Thursday of the month.  Join us for this Lambda Literary Award-winning novel:
Southland
by Nina Revoyr
Thursday, January 13, 7:00pm

L.A.'s racial complexity comes clear in this yarn about Jackie Ishida, a Japanese-American law school student whose efforts to fulfill a request in her late grandfather's will lead her to the unsolved, 1965 murders of four black teenagers. As Jackie pieces together the facts of those long-ago deaths, she also risks exposing her family's carefully guarded secrets.

Do you have a book club that needs a place to meet or would you like to start a new group?  Talk to Harriett about getting on the calendar.

Stump the Bookseller  Selection of the month
G223: girl who helps lion and swallows a bee
I read this book in New Zealand in 1962 or 1963, so it's probably British. I don't know whether it was published in the 20th century or earlier (I was only five when I read it).  A little girl meets up with a lion who has injured itself with, I think, a can opener.  She helps it out.  In another incident, she swallows a bee and is so startled she falls into a pond, where she finds an upside-down world.  I can't remember whether this is a single story or a chapter book.

Carolyn RobareIn the Annex Gallery

Essence of Life

photography by Carolyn D. Robare
enamels by Katherine R. Spencer