From: Harriett Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: Loganberry Books says go celebrate Buy Indie Day!
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 12:15:56 -0400
To: LoganberryNews@logan.com <LoganberryNews@logan.com>

Salutations!

May Day! It’s Buy Indie Day!  Celebrate by buying a book from your favorite indie store.  Say “Buy Indie” at the counter at Loganberry Books, and we’ll take 10% off your book purchase, too.  Just ’cause.

Recent Acquisitions  (we’re rearranging again. just a little.)

  • lb-epsteinshelves1-s.jpg Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, with photographs by Jack Mitchell
  • Town Histories:  Greenwich CT, Newbury MA, New Windsor NY, and of course Cleveland OH
  • Wild Flowers by Richetts, 2 volumes
  • Tasha Tudor Fairy Tales, 1961 1st edition
  • Leather-bound Medical Dictionary, 1868
  • Photographic History of the Civil War, ed. Miller, 10 volumes, 1912
  • Vintage Robert McCloskey books, including 1st edition Homer Price
  • Taoism and the Arts of China, Art Institute of Chicago
  • Lake Shore Electric Railway, a new Arcadia publication

Annex Gallery
gall-howell2.jpgRichard Howell:  Paintings and Objects

Thursday, May 7, 6-8pm
~ first Thursdays ~

Richard Howell paints anything that isn't nailed down.  He makes drums, screens, furniture and paintings.  He makes big reproductions of African-American icon William H. Johnson's paintings.  And his sense of color is rivalled only by his sense of humor.  He fills every nook and cranny for this Annex Gallery show, including large paintings, decorative pieces, partitions and screens, shelves, drums, and other painted objects.  Come feast your eyes.  Annex Gallery show runs May 7 – June 1.

Gene's Jazz Hot
Gene's Jazz Hot Gene’s Jazz Hot
Thursday, April 9, 7-9pm

~ second Thursdays ~

Gene's Jazz Hot is Gene Epstein on bass, Seth Rosen on guitar and mandolin, Bill Kenney on clarinet, and the swooning vocals of Peggi Cella.  They've developed quite a local following in one of the best acoustic venues in town.  And Gene makes excellent cookies…   Donations for the band gladly accepted.

Stump the Bookseller  Selection of the month
Stump the BooksellerA401: Anora book 1920s
Hello, My grandma was born in 1924.  Her father was a principal and two students said that they had read a book where the main character was Anora and that he should name his new baby that, and he did.  She recently turned 85 and wants to know what the book was.  I have no idea author or title. Thx.

Larchmere Sidewalk Sale
LMA-icon.gifSpring Sidewalk Sale
Saturday, May 23, 11am-5pm

~ Annual Larchmere Event ~
Start the summer with a stroll down the historic blocks of Larchmere Boulevard. Enjoy browsing in the unique antique and specialty shops that line our street. Relax over breakfast, lunch or dinner and make a leisurely day of it.  Loganberry Books offers 20% off all books . . . we do this only twice a year, so go wild!  With 70,000 to choose from, summer reading and early Christmas shopping just got easier.

N.O.B.S. Forums
nobs-logo-m.jpgKaren Beckwith: Let’s Look at Prints
Thursday, May 21, 7pm
~ third Thursdays ~
Karen D. Beckwith, a Tamarind Master Printer and Technical Assistant from the Cleveland Institute of Art, will bring a variety of prints to share. She will discuss different approaches to generate a printed image and bring examples of the matrixes from which these images can be pulled.  A fun time of show and tell.
$3 suggested donation.

Book Clubs
Praise the Unsung Book Club
T.C. Boyle:  The Tortilla Curtain (take 2)
Thursday,
May 28, 7pm
~ fourth Thursdays ~
In Southern California's Topanga Canyon, two couples live in close proximity and yet are worlds apart. High atop a hill overlooking the canyon, nature writer Delaney Mossbacher and his wife, real estate agent Kyra Menaker-Mossbacher, reside in an exclusive, secluded housing development with their son, Jordan. The Mossbachers are agnostic liberals with a passion for recycling and fitness. Camped out in a ravine at the bottom of the canyon are Candido and America Rincon, a Mexican couple who have crossed the border illegally. On the edge of starvation, they search desperately for work in the hope of moving into an apartment before their baby is born. They cling to their vision of the American dream, which, no matter how hard they try to achieve it, manages to elude their grasp at every turn. In scenes that are alternately comic, frightening, and satirical, but always all "too real," Boyle confronts not only immigration but social consciousness, environmental awareness, crime, and unemployment in a tale that raises the curtain on the dark side of the American dream.

Austeniana Book Club
Thursday, May 28, 7pm

~ fourth Thursdays ~
The
Austeniana Club has decided to tackle some biography on Jane.  Doesn’t matter which biography really, any biography on Jane Austen would be fine.  We’ll each report on our reading, and the various commentaries will enlighten us all the more!

Social Networking
facebook-otis.jpgLoganberry Books has been online since 1995 (yeah, we’re as old as Amazon), but I’ve been hesitant about the social networking scene.  I started this monthly newsletter in August 2004, and I started a blog as a chatty extension of the website in August 2007.  But just this past month, I joined both Twitter and Facebook.  I’d be happy to have you as a fan, a friend or a follower, if you’re into these things.  You know what’s really cool about Twitter?  Following Neil Gaiman @neilhimself.  Check it out.  On Facebook I’m under loganberrybooks.  On Twitter, I’m @loganberrybooks.  Tweet!

Looking Ahead
LMA-flea-flyer-s.jpgLarchmere Flea Market & Festival
Local Author Book Fair
Saturday, June 27
It’s a big day, so put it on your calendar now.  Registration is currently open for qualified vendors for the Flea Market, including dealers of antiques, vintage goods,  jewelry, and art, as well as food and green or non-profit informational tables.  Authors also sought for Loganberry’s Local Author Book Fair, which takes place on the same day (more the merrier!).  You can download registration forms at either www.loganberrybooks.com or www.larchmere.com.  Or here:  Flea Market Vendors  and  Local Authors.  Thanks!

peace,
Harriett

Loganberry Books
13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800
Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm; Thursday 'til 8pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/

Image
image002.jpg
Image