From: Harriett R. Logan <harriett@loganberrybooks.com>
Subject: Valentine's Greetings from Loganberry Books
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:54:11 -0500
To: <LoganberryNews@logan.com>
Salutations!

Winter slogs on, but there's lots to do in town!  Here's the view from Larchmere Boulevard...

Events
Westlake Porter LibraryBook Collecting 101:  a primer on book collecting
an informational talk by Harriett Logan
Tuesday, February 1, 2005, 7pm, at Porter Public Library, Westlake, Ohio, $2

AHA!  At Home with the Arts
Shaker Heights Arts Council's popular performance series
Friday, February 25, 2005, 7:30pm, at Loganberry Books, $15

vintage valentineExciting new acquisitions

  • wonderful vintage Valentines from the turn of the century thru the 1950s
  • a fabulous collection of brand-new board books for babies
  • lots of great Judaica: history, culture and philosophy
  • Cookbooks, and particularly books about food and food writing
  • original editions from the Roycrofters, as well as a complete set of Little Journeys
  • some illustrated masterpieces by Dulac, Rackham, Smith and Nielsen

Local Author Book Signings

Bill AftooraBill Aftoora:  Cooking in the Comfort Zone
Saturday, February 12, 2005; 1-3pm
Here's a cookbook that pays tribute to old-fashioned, down-home, stick-to-your-ribs, good-for-the-soul comfort foods. This book features a collection of timeless recipes reminiscent of traditional family-style, home-cooked meals that you and your family will enjoy for years to come.  Patrick O'Donnell

Patrick O’Donnell:  The Knights Next Door
Saturday, February 26, 2005; 1-3pm
Have you heard of the Society for Creative Anachronism or been to a RenFair?  Ever wonder about the people who make this cult a reality?  Travel back in time to the Current Middle Ages, a re-created world of knights in shining armor, lords and ladies, artisans and minstrels with one foot in history, the other in today.  Medieval costumes and arms will also be on display.

Stump the Bookseller  Selection of the month
***  The Stump the Bookseller Tally for 2004  ***
 ***
527 Stumpers posted,  388 (74%) Solved!  ***

G226:
Giants eating trees like broccoli

I can't, for the life of me, remember the title of a book I loved as a child (1970s).  The only thing I really remember was that a giant (ogre, or some other sort of mystical creature) was talking about eating trees like his little human friend ate broccoli.  Some women on a mailing list I belong to suggested "The Friendly Giant" but it wasn't the right book.  I'm hoping someone can help me as I'm starting to believe I made this book up!  Thank you so much!!!!

Girlfriends Literary Society
Audre Lorde biographyGirlfriends Literary Society is an on-going feminist book discussion group that usually meets on the second Thursday of the month.  Join us.

Warrior Poet, a Biography of Audre Lorde by Alexis De Veaux
Thursday, February 10th at 7pm

Do you have a book club that needs a place to meet or would you like to start a new group?
Talk to Harriett
about getting on the calendar.

Meetings at Loganberry
Cleveland Theater Collective:  an on-going discussion on creating a Writer's Cabaret for new works
Tuesday, February 8, 2005, 7pm, free

Cleveland Rug Societya talk with rugs by B. van Rabenau
Sunday, February 27, 2005, 4pm, $5

Harriett AllenAnnex Gallery

Altered Looks:  a show of works

paintings and collages by Harriett Allen

Opening Reception with the Artist
Saturday, February 5th, 1-3pm

Hope to see you at Loganberry soon!

peace,