From: Harriett Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: the glory of May flowers
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 21:46:40 -0400
To: LoganberryNews@logan.com <LoganberryNews@logan.com>

Salutations!

Summer is here, folks!  The bargain cart is out on the sidewalk, the plants are starting to bloom, and everything is happier with a little sunshine.  Add a good book to the mix, and it doesn’t matter if you have a week off in Hawaii or not, it’s SUMMER!!  Oh yeah!

Recent Acquisitions

sears-roebuck-1910.jpg

·         Reprint Sears, Roebuck & Co’s Consumer’s Guide Fall 1910

·         A first edition of Dodie Smith’s 101 Dalmations

·         Pilsudski: Year 1920 about the Polish hero

·         A new edition of E. Nesbit’s Five Children and It

·         P’s and Q’s for Boys and Girls by Bernice Bryant, 1953

·         Some excellent 93-cent bargains on the sidewalk, including Ancient Egypt

·         Mask of Medusa by John Hejduk

·         Akira Himekawa’s manga version of The Legend of Zelda

·         Chinese Natural Cures by Henry C. Lu

·         Joe Wallace’s Diamond Ruby (coming to a book signing July 24)

Annex Gallery
gall-markowitz-s.jpg Sheila N. Markowitz: Hangin' at the Gauguin Cafe
Opening Reception: Thursday, May 6, 6-8pm
~ first Thursdays ~
Sheila N. Markowitz uses her computer to merge her photographs, snapshots and scans of other materials in myriad and subtle ways.  She sees her process as a metaphor for how the mind overlays experiences, blurs and blends them in memory, reconciles disparate points of view to create coherence.  Markowitz works intuitively, dialoguing with her art as it evolves throught a host of incremental decisions. Each montage element connects to a personal story that is rarely evident in the finished work.  Instead visual surprises, ambiguitities, and hints of narrative invite viewers to construct their own artful fictions. Show continues through May 31.

Poetry Reading

wick-traveling-stanzas-xs.gifWick Poetry Center: Traveling Stanzas

Saturday, May 8, 2pm

Traveling Stanzas is a collaboration project between the Wick Poetry Center's outreach program and the Glyphix design studio at Kent State University. It combines the creative talents of Kent State Visual Communication Design students with area student writers, senior citizens, and veterans to promote awareness of poetry and graphic design within the community. This year's theme for the Traveling Stanzas project is peace and reconciliation, so join us for a highly creative yet socially relevant reading from poets of all ages.  The greeting cards and posters are beautiful!

Gene's Jazz Hot

genesjazzhot-icon.jpgGene's Jazz Hot
Thursday, May 13, 7-9pm

~ second Thursdays ~

It’s a bit of a social this month – well, okay, it’s always a social, but don’t be surprised if you recognize some merchants from other shops on Larchmere.  We need time to hang out too, and we need time to hang out with each other so we can better understand each other, share notes, and strengthen bonds.  You’re welcome to join us, of course.  There will be some nibbles, and good camaraderie, and yeah, the band’s pretty good, too.   Donations for the band appreciated.

Stump the Bookseller  Selection of the month

stump.jpgP464: Pet Can Talk at Midnight

My grandmother read me this story about a young girl who loved her pet (a hamster or a guinea pig perhaps) and she wished they could talk to one another.  Something happens where the pet can speak while the clock strikes 12.  She finds that she has nothing to say but "I love you" or they just look at each other and communicate without words all the affection they have for each other.  My grandma used to cry every time she read it and I would love to find it for her now.  I believe it is a very old story.

N.O.B.S. Forums

nobs-logo-m.jpgFrank Klein: A Bookseller's Retrospective
Thursday, May 20, 7pm
~ third Thursdays ~
One of the things most book enthusiasts have enjoyed and miss most in today’s Internet era is just sitting together and talking “books”- telling stories of past finds, odd chaps, prognostications of the future, the lore of books and book collecting and NOBS.  Frank Klein from The Bookseller, Inc. in Akron will lead us into an old time discussion at the NOBS Forum at Loganberry Books starting at 7 PM.  Nostalgia and tall tales; you’d better come to protect your good name.  $3 suggested donation.

Classics Club

fict-burney-s.jpgFrances Burney: Evelina
Thursday, April 22, 7pm

~ fourth Thursdays ~
Our two longstanding book groups, the Austeniana Club and Praise the Unsung, have merged into the Classics Club! Our new book group leader Christine, a former young adult librarian, will be revisiting those timeless books that almost certainly showed up on your high school and college reading lists. Be reunited with an old friend (or an old foe!), or finally get yourself acquainted with one of those titles that it seems as if everyone in the world has read but you. We’ll start with Frances Burney’s Evelina this month, and To Kill a Mockingbird next month.

Larchmere Sidewalk Sale

LMA-logo-icon.jpgSaturday, May 29, 10am-5pm

Our bi-annual Sidewalk Sale is coming up on Memorial Weekend!  Bargains abound all over Larchmere!  As usual, Loganberry offers 20% off all books on this day, and we’ll have some other great bargains out on the sidewalks, too.

Looking ahead, the big annual Larchmere Festival is scheduled for Saturday, July 3rd.  This is the outdoor event featuring an Antiques Show, Bazaar Bizarre, Community Flea Market, and Author Alley, among other things.  New this year will be a wine tasting, Larchmere Uncorked!  Most vendor registration materials and more information is now posted on the www.Larchmere.com.  Save the Date!

peace,

Harriett

Loganberry Books

13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800

On Twitter: @loganberrybooks   On Facebook: loganberrybooks

Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm; Thursday 'til 8pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/.

Image
image001.jpg
Image