From: Harriett Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: Sidewalk Sale this Saturday!
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 17:01:51 -0400
To: LoganberryNews@logan.com <LoganberryNews@logan.com>

Salutations!

tshirt-otis-s.jpgOtis says: BUY BOOKS!  That’s the message on our new t-shirts (design pictured at left), which are currently being printed. We hope to have them in time for the Sidewalk Sale on Saturday, but if we’re a couple days late, we’ll still be taking orders.  Who can resist those little kitty fangs?  Oh, and did someone say Sidewalk Sale?  Yes, it’s right around the corner.  On Saturday, September 4th, bargains abound all over Larchmere for our biannual Sidewalk Sale, and, as usual, Loganberry Books offers 20% off all books on this day, plus some other great bargains out on the sidewalks.

Recent Acquisitions

kids-smith-book.jpg

·         It’s a Book, the latest hilarity, with love, by Lane Smith

·         Two 12-volume rainbow sets of the favorite collection My Bookhouse

·         The Dutch H.U. Steger’s Travelling to Tripiti, 1968

·         3 volumes of the elusive British Ant and Bee series

·         Bessie Pease Guttman’s Diary of a Mouse, 1907

·         Anthony Powell’s A Dance to the Music of Time, in 4 paperback volumes

·         The Norwegian Thorbjorn Egner’s Karius and Baktus, about teeth!

·         Mercer Mayer’s fabulous Professor Wormbog in the Search for the Zipperump-a-Zoo, 1976

 Annex Gallery
gall-vainberg-s.jpgEugenia Vainberg -- Illustration in Embroidery
Thursday, September 2, 6-8pm

~ first Thursdays ~
Eugenia Vainberg learned the art of embroidery as an eight year old child living in Ukraine. She emigrated to the United States in 1977, where she became involved with a quilting group in Cleveland. Of her work, the artist says, “Colors are music to me. Tonalities of colors, shades and hues create the feeling of melodies in me. Embroidery became an important part of my life, a way of self expression and reflection. It is very exciting to translate from the languages of different media into the tongue of embroidery.”  Show continues through September 31.

Stump the Bookseller  Selection of the month

stump.jpgS680: Spoiled rich cat is unhappy until he finds a box to play in

A spoiled cat has been all over the world with his owners on balloon rides, cruises, etc., and he is always unhappy. Some dry cleaning is delivered in a box and playing in it makes him happy. It was read to me when I was a child in the 80s and the illustrations are pencil (more doodle than sketch).

Gene's Jazz Hot

genesjazzhot-icon.jpgGene's Jazz Hot
Thursday, September 9, 7-9pm

~ second Thursdays ~

How many altos does it take to change a lightbulb?  None; they can't get up that high. How many jazz pianists does it take to change a lightbulb?  Screw the changes, we'll fake it.  How many union roadies does it take to change a lightbulb?  Eleven. You got a problem with that?!  How does a soprano change a lightbulb?  She just holds on and the world revolves around her.  Yeah, okay, you’ve heard ’em all before.  But Gene’s Jazz Hot is best delivered in person, on the second Thursday of the month, here at Loganberry.  Join us.  It’s free.

Lantern Awards

lit-lantern-2010.jpgAll LIT Up: An Evening of Literary Excellence
September 11, 8-10pm

At the Palace Theatre in Playhouse Square

The Academy has the Oscars, The LIT has the Lanterns.  Join the Northeast Ohio Literary Community for a celebration of writers and writing excellence in eight different genre categories and be there as we honor Sheila Schwartz and Harvey Pekar with a final tribute.  Doors open at 7pm for cocktails, and there’s even an after-party following the awards ceremony.  The event is a fundraiser for The LIT; see their website for the list of nominees and tickets.

N.O.B.S. Forums

nobs-logo-m.jpgA Panel on Bricks & Mortar Bookselling
Thursday, September 16, 7pm

~ third Thursdays ~
Come join us for an evening of questions, answers, and discussion on the brave new world of bookselling. We’ll talk about how Internet sales, e-readers, and the demise of the bricks-and-mortar bookstore have altered the world of books forever. Bring your questions for our panel of Cleveland’s noted independent booksellers.  $3 suggested donation.

Classics Club

atwood-s.jpgMargaret Atwood: The Handmaid's Tale
Thursday, September 23, 7 pm
In a startling departure from her previous novel, respected Canadian poet and novelist Atwood presents here a fable of the near future. In the Republic of Gilead, formerly the United States, far-right Schlafly/Falwell-type ideals have been carried to extremes in the monotheocratic government. The resulting society is a feminist's nightmare: women are strictly controlled, unable to have jobs or money and assigned to various classes: the chaste, childless Wives; the housekeeping Marthas; and the reproductive Handmaids, who turn their offspring over to the "morally fit" Wives. The tale is told by Offred (read: "of Fred"), a Handmaid who recalls the past and tells how the chilling society came to be. --Library Journal

peace,

Harriett

Loganberry Books

13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800

On Twitter: @loganberrybooks   On Facebook: loganberrybooks

Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm; Thursday 'til 8pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/.

Image
image001.jpg
Image