From: Harriett Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: Happy December from Loganberry Books
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 16:17:41 -0500
To: LoganberryNews@logan.com <LoganberryNews@logan.com>

Salutations!

Snow just makes the holiday season, doesn’t it?  We are decked out in our purple glory, and would love to help you find some treasures for gift-giving and winter solstice.  Dede Moore’s rug bazaar opens this evening, now!, complete with powerpoint presentation, so come see us.  Feels like old times.

Our extended Holiday Hours are: Monday--Wednesday  10am-6pm, Thursday & Friday  10am-8pm, Saturday  10am-6pm, and Sunday  1pm-4pm.

If you are looking for out-of-print books for holiday gift-giving, please let us know now so we can procure your heart’s desire, in time for the tree!

Recent Acquisitions

So many wonderful books.   Here are just a few of my favorites.

·         ART: Edward Gorey’s Categorey, Album of Anselmus De Boodt Natural History Paintings,  Biblia Sacra: 13th to 20th Century, Lord Snowdon portfolio, Edward Curtis’ Portraits from North American Indian Life, Bark photographed by Cedric Pollet (gorgeous!), Persian Miniature Painting, three fine porcelain collectors books: Pratt Ware, Derby Porcelain, and Spode-Copeland

·         NON-FICTION:  lots of Beverly Nichols classic gardening books, Luxory Toys, a collection of gilt deco illustrated by Frank Pape, The Flute Book by Toff, a nice set of Frances Parkman with folding maps.

·         LITERARY:  the complete Raj Quartet by Paul Scott, A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan, Simple Times from Amy Sedaris, limited edition of Ballad of Reading Gaol by Oscar Wilde, beautiful leather binding of Thackeray’s Vanity Fair

·         CHILDREN’S:  Wart Snake in a Fig Tree by George Mendoz, first edition How the Grinch Stole Christmas, signed Megan Whalen Turner novels, Through the Animals Eyes illustrated by Wormell.

Stump the Bookseller  Selection of the month

stump.jpg*Register now for Stumper Magician thank you presents!*
A441: Anonymous notes

This book might have been published in the 1930's or 40's. It is about a woman (maybe a shut-in?) who anonymously writes kind and wonderful notes and maybe sends small unexpected gifts to people who are sad or maybe shut-in themselves. Her notes and gifts bring great joy to the recipients.

Annex Gallery
Dede Moore: The Karavan Returns
Opening Reception: Thursday, December 2, 6-8pm

~ first Thursdays ~

Dede Moore, a longtime and knowledgeable merchant of oriental rugs, will exhibit antique and new oriental rugs in the Annex Gallery during the month of December.  She will also feature lots of ethnic gift items: jewelry, pillows, ceramics, kilim sweaters, shoes and purses.  During the Opening Reception, at 7:00pm, Dede will present a powerpoint presentation on Woman’s Work: Oriental Rugs, People and Places.  Email Dede at dede@logan.com if you have a particular rug need or request.  Show continues through the end of December.

Raise a Glass to Larchmere!

Sunday, December 12, 7-10pm

Corcoran Fine Arts (12610 Larchmere Blvd.)

This year, our traditional holiday party will double as a holiday fundraiser! This will enable us to raise much-needed funds to continue our work, marketing and improving Larchmere.  Please join us and enjoy a fun evening with merchants and friends!  Tickets to the fundraiser are available for $20, and includes complimentary beer and wine.  Please join us for a nice evening in a lovely setting filled with beautiful artwork and our ever-popular Chinese Auction.

Gene's Jazz Hot

genesjazzhot-icon.jpgGene's Jazz Hot
Thursday, December 9, 7-9pm

~ second Thursdays ~

Peggi Cella, the lead vocalist for Gene’s Jazz Hot, has moved to upstate NY, but the band plays on! Please join us as consummate musicians Gene Epstein, Bill Kenney and Seth Rosen strike up some old tunes and make the happy dance in your veins.  It's good stuff any time of the year, but especially during the holiday season.  Bring the family, we'll mull some cider.  Donations for the band gladly accepted.

Classics Club
Thursday, December 16, 7 pm
**Please note this is the fifth Thursday of December, rather than the usual fourth Thursday!**

Wuthering Heights was the only novel by Emily Bronte, and remains one of the masterpieces of the 19th century. Perhaps you read it in high school?  Or perhaps you only skimmed through the Cliff Notes?  Either way, it is time to revisit Heathcliff and Catherine, the romantic and terrifying moors, and this star-crossed love affair.  Some classics have a way of infiltrating into our lives in subtle and mysterious ways, and I think you’ll find some resonances with this old classic.  Join us as we discuss Wuthering Heights the week just following Christmas.  You’ll be itching to get out to the moors by then anyway.

peace,

Harriett

Loganberry Books

13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800

On Twitter: @loganberrybooks   On Facebook: loganberrybooks

Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm; Thursday 'til 8pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/.

Image
image001.jpg
Image