From: Harriett R. Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: Loganberry Juneberries
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 17:01:52 -0400
To: <LoganberryNews@logan.com>
Salutations!

It's June!  It's summer!  Time for a good book!  Need help deciding?  Come hear Karen Long speak about choosing a book to read....  it's part of an exciting new series of books talks...

NOBS Forums
Karen LongKaren Long,  The Cleveland Plain Dealer Books Editor
Choosing a Book for Review:
The Pleasure, the Politics and the Daily Occasions for Humility
Saturday, June 18th, 4:00pm

Introducing a new series of talks and conversations throughout the book world, sponsored by the Northern Ohio Bibliophilic Society.  Karen Long kicks off the series with the inside scoop of her position as Books Editor for The Cleveland Plain Dealer.  What do you do when you receive hundreds of books for review every day?  Join us at Loganberry to hear her talk.  NOBS members free, non-members $3.

Exciting recent acquisitions
Morton
  • lots of art books, including CMA publications and Impressionist histories
  • Mrs. Pine Takes a Trip, a recent reprint featuring Mr. and Mrs. Pine of Purple House fame
  • the Metropolitan Museum of Art catalog for the John Townsend decorative arts exhibition
  • Distinguished Homes of Shaker Heights -- one copy only; act fast!!
  • Marian Morton's third Arcadia history book of Cleveland Heights, with lots of vintage photos
  • cheap mass paperbacks for outdoor summer reading...

Local Author Book Signings
Amey S. Tippett
Alison's Journey
Saturday, June 4, 1-3pm
Alison’s life is perfect. Married to Eric, a handsome, wealthy man, she teaches 5th grade – just for fun – and is the envy of all her friends.  But beneath the surface, Eric is an abusive monster. Able to take no more, Alison flees her “perfect life” with only her clothes, her car and two cats. After a mad dash across the country, she lands in Grabill, a backwoods Ohio town with seemingly little to offer. But if anyone knows that appearances are deceiving, Alison does. So, she takes her chances on Grabill and, eventually, mechanic Tyler Coffey, embarking on a journey of a whole other kind.
PublishAmerica, 2005, paperback, 172 pages, $19.95

Mark Barnes
The League
Saturday, June 11, 1-3pm

It is a game that 15 million people play for fun.  But the men in Wall Street's newest league are changing the rules.  The game is no longer just about football. It's about power and an unimaginable amount of money.  One man will stop at nothing to win.  A detective will do anything to bring down a killer, and someone will battle both, to gain the power, protect the money, and save The League.
DNA Press, 2005, hardback, 178 pages, $19.95

Tino Adognravi
Coming to America: The Real Story
Booksigning: Saturday, June 25, 1-3pm
From a small village in Africa to the foundation of a potentially multi-billion dollar corporation in America and how he did it! He learned English by watching TV in Togo (West  Africa), his mother sold charcoal to raise five children. He came to America and became a Technical Writer for a Fortune 500 American Corporation.  Tino Adognravi then founded Global Market Sales Corporation, far exceeding the expectations of someone who had to swim across a lake in order to make it to school on time. His father was not in his life while he was growing up but the one thing he remembers is that his father told him that only his own intelligence would take him far and he believed his father...

eibBooks Publishing, 2004, paperback, 192, $11.95

Stump the Bookseller  Selection of the month
Stump the BooksellerE73: Erin
Adventures, 1950-1975.  I'm searching for a book I know very little about.  I know it is a children's book about a little girl named Erin who has adventures.  A good friend of mine read it when she was a little girl and I thought I would get it for her...She even named her daughter Erin as a result of reading this book.  My friend is 45 years old, so I thought it might have been written in the 60s.  Thanks for your help!

Book Clubs
BarnetGirlfriends Literary Society
Thursday, June 9th, 7:00pm
All-Night Party:
The Women of Bohemian Greenwich Village and Harlem, 1913-1930
by Andrea Barnet
Algonquin Books, 2004, paperback, 260 pages, $16.95
Our feminist book club continues delving into history, this time New York City in the 1920s.  This social history uncovers the art and the scandals of famous people like Mina Loy, Bessie Smith, Ethel Waters, Edna St. Vincent Millay, Margaret Anderson, Emma Goldman, Isadora Duncan, Margaret Sanger and Gertrude Stein.  Should be a party.

Special Event
FR@NTIC!
Mary Miller and Friends

June 22, 8pm

San Francisco-based singer/poet/performance artist Mary Miller packed the house at her last Wild Plum event in December – so she's coming back for a post-Pride performance.  Mary will debut material from her new one-woman show. Tickets are $10 in advance (call 216.651.5428 ext 20 to order) or $12 at the door.  Sponsored by Wild Plum Productions.

Annex Gallery
FarrellFarrell Stirtmire: Meeting of the Mind of Fastir

Saturday, June 4th, 3-5pm:  Opening Reception

Come see Farrell's large oil paintings of landscapes and lillies and other summertime vistas.
Perfect timing for a garden show!

On Larchmere Boulevard
LMA Antiques FairLarchmere Antiques Fair
Sunday, June 26, 10am-5pm
Can you believe it's been 15 years?  Join us for a celebration of summer as we close the street to traffic and set up booths with art, antiques and vintage goods.  Anyone need a Ronson table lighter or a whale-oil lamp?   Check them out, along with some books, at Loganberry.

... and hope to see you browsing at Loganberry soon!

peace,
Harriett

Loganberry Books
13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, OH 44120;  216.795.9800
Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://logan.com/lists/

Image
Image