From: Harriett R. Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: a Loganberry summer
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 10:37:36 -0400
To: LoganberryNews@logan.com <LoganberryNews@logan.com>

Salutations!

We hope you had an excellent Memorial Day weekend.  Our Sidewalk Sale was a great success, and now I’m off to Book Expo America in NYC to scout out the best new books.  We have lots of exciting events lined up at Loganberry already though, starting with the guzheng.  The what?, you ask.  Please read on.

Larchmere First Fridays

Larchmere Boulevard is pleased to present a series of First Friday events from May until October.  Shops will be open until 9pm, and restaurants will be open until midnight.  So come join us, nightowls, for a night on the Boulevard! At Loganberry Books, we'll be celebrating with live music (and a lot of books).

Kristopher Morron
Friday, June 1, 7-8:30 p.m.
~ first Friday ~
Kristopher Morron will join us with his guzheng – a 2,000-year-old Chinese instrument. How did a musician born in North Dakota and raised in Cleveland end up making music on the guzheng? The unlikely tale began for Morron with a family trip to Florida and continued to unfold when he reconnected with a musician friend living in Shanghai. Cloudlands is “a collection of musical conversations between old friends,” explained Morron. “Each improvised piece is haunting and beautiful, dissonant and harmonious.” The tracks captured on the album represent years of close collaborations yet display creative spontaneity.

Recent Acquisitions

·         Three Years in the Libyan Desert by J.C. Ewald Falls, c. 1913

·         The Rich and the Rest of Us by Tavis Smiley and Cornel West

·         A Hero for Wondla, the new sequel by Tony DiTerlizzi

·         Easton Press and Heritage Press classics

·         Cedar Point: Queen of American Watering Places

·         A library of Henry Kissinger studies

·         The Gourmet Cookbook, 2 volumes

·         Grace Notes, signed by Rita Dove

·         A memorial tribute to Maurice Sendak, including a signed edition of Kenny’s Window, the first book both written and illustrated by Sendak

Stump the Bookseller  Selection of the month

1980's childrens book that was like a catalog with fantastical inventions that kids would want, like a baseball bat with bat wings or a doorway to walk though to get clean rather than taking a bath. I think it was paperback with black and white drawings.

See More Book Stumpers

Annex Gallery
Anne Weissman- Collage Studio: Combining Textiles and Printmaking
Opening Reception: Thursday, June 7, 6-8pm

~ first Thursdays ~
A textile artist, printmaker, and photographer, Anne Weissman uses innovative combinations of materials and techniques in her collage work. Handstitching, monoprinting, frottage, and suminagashi marbling are some on the processes she employs to make wall pieces, one-of-a-kind artists' books, and magical glass paperweights.  Show continues through July 2.

Live Music
Gene's Jazz Hot
Thursday, June 14, 7-9 p.m.
~ second Thursdays ~
Gene’s Jazz Hot has been playing here since 2006, often with guests and impromptu players.  Come join the show this second Thursday and see who shows up to join the swinging vibe of Gene Epstein, Bill Kenney, Seth Rosen and Reed Simon.  Perhaps there will be dancing?  Free homemade cookies will no doubt be served. Donations for the band gratefully accepted.

N.O.B.S. Forums

Show and Tell

Thursday, June 21, 7pm
~ third Thursdays ~

What’s on your summer reading list? Now’s the time to share your interesting, unusual, and otherwise noteworthy reads with other bibliophiles at our semi-annual Show and Tell session.  Anything goes: you can bring treasured tomes and tell us about them, or you can bring odd curiosities you know nothing about and let group members tell you what they think.  Either way, there’s always something to learn and some great books to discuss.  Bring a book and join us!.

Classics Club
Helen Hunt Jackson: Ramona
Thursday, June 28, 7 pm

~ fourth Thursdays ~
One of the greatest ethical novels of the nineteenth century, this is a tale of true love tested. Set in Old California, this powerful narrative richly depicts the life of the fading Spanish order, the oppression of tribal American communities and inevitably, the brutal intrusion of white settlers. Ramona, an illegitimate orphan, grows up as the ward of the overbearing Senora Moreno. But her desire for Alessandro, a Native American, makes her an outcast and fugitive.

Larchmere Festival / Bazaar Bizarre / Author Alley
Saturday, July 7

~ annual event ~

Our annual street festival is in the thick of things with planning now (including an outdoor movie fundraiser!). As usual, we’ll have antiques and collectibles dealers, a community flea market, the artists of Bazaar Bizarre, food trucks, live entertainment, and a Beat the Master Chess showdown.  Put it on your calendar; we’ll see you then.  If you’re interested, now is the time to submit your registrations for the Larchmere Festival or Author Alley.

peace,

Harriett

P.S.  We’re in hiring mode. Please spread the word and send a resume & letter if you’re interested.

Loganberry Books

13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800

    @loganberrybooks

Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm; Thursday 'til 8pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/.

Image
image001.jpg
Image