From: Harriett R. Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: 20% off at Loganberry Books
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 10:34:02 -0400
To: LoganberryNews@logan.com <LoganberryNews@logan.com>, staff@logan.com <staff@logan.com>

Salutations!

It’s our annual dog days of August sale (sorry, Otis).  And this year, we’ve decided to expand the sale to include everything in the LitArts room, which means performing arts and poetry are included too!  So, that means 20% off all fiction, all genre fiction, Heritage Press, foreign language, teen, poetry, theatre & film, music and media.  Sale continues through the month of August, culminating in the Sidewalk Sale on Saturday, September 1st, when ALL BOOKS are 20% off.  Whew.

Guess the Author

Welcome to our second annual Guess the Author Contest!

30 author faces are in the front windows, the rear panel of their book’s dust jacket.  Contest forms are on the checkout counter.  Of course you should play, come try your luck!   Grand Prize winner gets 6 books from the window display; second prize wins 5; third prize wins 4.  No penalty for wrong guesses.  Winners will be announced in early September.

Larchmere First Fridays

Friday, August 3, 10am—9pm
Larchmere Boulevard is pleased to present a series of First Friday events from May until October.  Shops will be open until 9pm, and restaurants will be open until midnight.  So come join us, nightowls, for a night on the Boulevard!

Recent Acquisitions

·         Lots of books on reptiles and snakes!

·         The Giants by J.M.G. LeClezio, first edition 1975

·         The elusive Ghost of Opalina by Peggy Bacon

·         Lots of Charles Bukowski books

·         Party Perfect, an etiquette book from 1959

·         Great poetry, including first editions by Irving Feldman

·         The Silk Road, first edition

·         A pretty collection of Limited Editions Club

·         Beauty and the Contemporary Sublime by Jeremy Gilbert-Rolfe

·         A nice display of vintage and contemporary Olympics books for all ages

Stump the Bookseller  Selection of the month

I had a paperback copy of this book in elementary school.  It featured a plucky girl and her little brother sidekick.  Somehow they get involved in an art mystery.  The missing painting was definitely a Degas.  The original is found UNDER a different painting.  Also, a tube of Pillsbury biscuits was used as a "weapon" because it made a popping sound.

See More Book Stumpers

Annex Gallery
Benjmi Arrington Bey:  The Planets
Opening Reception:  Thursday, August 2, 6-9pm

~ first Thursdays ~

Through the use of spray-paint and air brushing and computer graphics, Benjami brings you his idea of what other planets, solar system, and nebulas in this vast cosmos might look like. With the strong vibrant colors of spray paint and the control of air brushing brings out very intriguing scenes of planets and stars. We may not be able to leave this planet but we can still enjoy the view.  On display through September 3.

Live Music
Gene's Jazz Hot
Thursday, August 9, 7-9 p.m.
~ second Thursdays ~
Seth Rosen was a consummate musician, an honest and cheerful man, and a hard worker.  You can read some moving memorials for him in The Plain Dealer and The Nation.  Gene’s Jazz Hot lost the backbone of their group on July 20, but Seth would surely urge us to carry on and sing a happy tune.  On August 9th, Gene’s Jazz Hot plays Accolades for Seth, and we invite you to join in the spirited tribute.  Dancing encouraged.

Larchmere Movie Night

Sunday, August 12, 8:30pm

Join us under the stars for a family movie night, projected on a big 9'x12' screen.  We'll start the evening with a classic cartoon, and then show “Desk Set,” a classic film featuring the beautiful Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn (1957).  This is a kind of teaser fundraiser -- an opportunity to raise some cash to support the Larchmere Festival, as well as a test-run for a future series of community events.  Like the idea?  Come support us!

Tickets:  $10.  Children under 12 free (with an adult)

Location:  Book Mural Park next to Loganberry Books

Raindate:  Wednesday, August 22, 8:30pm

Classics Club
Ray Bradbury: Dandelion Wine
Thursday, August 23, 7 pm

~ fourth Thursdays ~
Twelve-year-old Douglas Spaulding knows Green Town, Illinois, is as vast and deep as the whole wide world that lies beyond the city limits. It is a pair of brand-new tennis shoes, the first harvest of dandelions for Grandfather's renowned intoxicant, the distant clang of the trolley's bell on a hazy afternoon. It is yesteryear and tomorrow blended into an unforgettable always. But as young Douglas is about to discover, summer can be more than the repetition of established rituals whose mystical power holds time at bay. It can be a best friend moving away, a human time machine who can transport you back to the Civil War, or a sideshow automaton able to glimpse the bittersweet future.

peace,

Harriett

Loganberry Books

13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800

    @loganberrybooks

Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm; Thursday 'til 8pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/.

Image
image008.gif
Image