From: Harriett R. Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: Happy Octavofest!
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 11:43:32 -0400
To: LoganberryNews@logan.com <LoganberryNews@logan.com>

Salutations!

Description: http://www.loganberrybooks.com/octavofest.jpgWhew! It’s a busy month here at Loganberry Books, as we participate in the month-long biblio celebration known as Octavofest. Everything mentioned in this newsletter is a part of this celebration, but there are more events, shows, lectures and the like – browse their website for the full schedule.

This past weekend we attended Bouchercon, an annual mystery writing conference, at the Cleveland Renaissance Hotel. We met and chatted with many fine mystery authors including Elizabeth George and Mary Higgins Clark! (You can see pics on our Facebook page.)  Hats off to Marjorie Mogg for creating this great event in Cleveland.

Remember the second annual Guess the Author photo contest we had back in August?  Well, here are the winners:  1st  place: Jonathan Wilhelm, 2nd place: Susan Petrone3 ties for Honorable Mention:  Pat Jones, Lorraine Angus, Donna AbendThanks to everyone who participated!

Attention Local Artists!

We are now accepting applications for our 2nd annual Otis’ Old Curiosity Shop! The holiday bazaar will take over the Annex Gallery during the months of November and December, with a mix of art, crafts, toys, cards, and vintage curios.  To be included, please download your application soon. You can find it here.  Tell your artist friends!

Recent Acquisitions

  • Lots of pretty new Penguin Classics
  • New titles from Cleveland Landmarks Press, including Cleveland's Short Vincent and East Fourth Street

·         Rust Belt Chic, a new anthology of Cleveland culture edited by Anne Trubek and Richey Piiparinen and featuring essays by Michael Ruhlman, Connie Schultz, and our own Loganberry staff member Christine Borne

·         Several signed copies of Elizabeth George’s Inspector Lynley mysteries, which she graciously signed for us at Bouchercon

·         Some really pretty leather sets of Victor Hugo

·         Hot Off the Reprint Press from Purple House Press: Devlin's Old Black Witch, Cranberry Thanksgiving, and Jolly Roger Bradfield's Hello, Rock!

Stump the Bookseller  Selection of the month

I have been in the search for this book but it's been difficult since I do not have the author's name or the title. It's a book that I read many many years ago during my middle school years. I remember it was about 3 kids (2 sisters & their brother) that had been abandoned by their mother. The mother had been left by their father and always waited for the father to come back by gazing out the window and holding her heart by crossing her arms over her chest. One day the mother left them a note that said she was going to New York to dance & that she was leaving them $50 in a cookie jar. The middle child, the narrator of the story, has to hide the fact that her mother left them from the small town which isn't too hard since they live out in the woods. She then has to take care of her little sister who's in elementary school & her older brother works at a gas station for all 3 of them to be able to eat. It's the very first book that ever made me cry & I have been unable to forget it. The cover has the quotes "one day she danced away" & the narrator is sitting on the porch steps, the brother sitting at the railing & both of them watching their little sister dance.At the end of the story, no matter how hard the narrator tries their little sister dies from starvation but mostly sadness that their mother left them. A couple who lived on the other side of a mountain(?) decided to take them in but it had been too late for the little sister.It should have been written before 1999. I would appreciate any help on this. Thanks! See More Book Stumpers

Live Music
Gene's Jazz Hot
Thursday, October 11, 7-8:30 PM

~ second Thursdays ~
Local jazz combo Gene’s Jazz Hot will perform in the LitArts room on their usual second Thursday evening. This month’s line-up features Gene Epstein on upright Bass, Reed Simon on Violin, Ted Witt on Clarinet, and Brad Bolton on Guitar.  Always a rollicking good time with good people, and free cookies.  What’s not to like?
Donations for the band gratefully accepted.

Cleveland Antiquarian Book & Paper Show
NOBS 2012 Cleveland Antiquarian Book & Paper Show
Sunday, October 14, 10am-5pm
Cleveland Skating Club
, 2500 Kemper Road, Shaker Heights, OH 44120

The Northern Ohio Bibliophilic Society (NOBS) is the proud sponsor of the 2012 Cleveland Antiquarian Book & Paper Show just around the corner from Loganberry Books.  This annual book fair features a curated assembly of vintage and antiquarian book dealers, showing and selling books, paper ephemera, autographs, prints, and maps.  Come browse the rarefied and cherished world of old books!  General Admission is $5.  For more information, please click here.

 NOBS Forums

Henry Adams: The Kokoon Club of Cleveland
Thursday, October 18, 7 pm
~ third Thursdays ~
Founded in 1911 by Carl Moellman and William Sommer, the Kokoon Club was one of the most exclusive avant-garde arts organizations in Cleveland. From 1913 to 1946, the Kokoon Club’s notorious annual Bal Masque was the place to be for bohemians, featuring elaborate costumes, stage props and outrageous performance art. At this month’s forum, Henry Adams, professor of American Art at Case Western Reserve University and author of Out of the Kokoon, will present a colorful slide show about this important part of our cultural history.

Hathaway Brown All-School Book Fair
October 22-26

at Hathaway Brown School
For the second year in a row, Loganberry Books is proud to partner with Hathaway Brown for its annual All-School Book Fair. Our neighbor in Shaker Heights, Hathaway Brown School "provides an inclusive environment that challenges girls in grades K through 12 and boys and girls in the Early Childhood Program. Founded in 1876, Hathaway Brown is committed to a fusion of academic and experiential learning."

Classics Club
John Dos Passos: Three Soldiers
Thursday, October 25, 7 pm
~ fourth Thursdays ~
Part of the generation that produced Ernest Hemingway and Ford Madox Ford, John Dos Passos wrote one of the most grimly honest portraits of World War I. Three Soldiers portrays the lives of a trio of army privates: Fuselli, an Italian American store clerk from San Francisco; Chrisfield, a farm boy from Indiana; and Andrews, a musically gifted Harvard graduate from New York. Hailed as a masterpiece on its original publication in 1921, Three Soldiers is a gripping exploration of fear and ambition, conformity and rebellion, desertion and violence, and the brutal and dehumanizing effects of a regimented war machine on ordinary soldiers.

Keep reading,

Harriett

Loganberry Books

13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800

Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image035.png@01CD6FD1.27CF2FB0  Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image036.png@01CD6FD1.27CF2FB0  @loganberrybooks

Monday-Saturday 10am-6pm; Thursday 'til 8pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/.

Image
image004.jpg
Image