From: Harriett R. Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: Loganberry Books celebrates summer with longer hours, and music
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 19:21:11 -0400
To: LoganberryNews@logan.com <LoganberryNews@logan.com>

Salutations!

Introducing new summer hours!  We will be open on Friday evenings beginning now and extending through October, featuring live music and an open mic event we dub Broadsides & Ephemera.  We’ll even be open an hour earlier on Saturdays for you Farmer’s Market folks.  Tracy Chevalier will be here for a book signing, and we’ll close the month with the first of our summer Sidewalk Sales.  Can it be that spring has sprung?

Annex Gallery
Lamar Richardson: Everyday Light
Thursday, May 2, 6-8pm
~ first Thursdays ~
Lamar Richardson bought his first camera in 1970 with his first paycheck, and has been taking pictures ever since.  He looks at photography with an artist eye, as a faster way to paint.  After retiring from AT&T in 2008, Lamar Richardson decided to pursue his hobby, the interplay of light, shadow and color.  Richardson likes getting up early and staying out late, waiting for the best light.  Beauty is everywhere, like light is everywhere.  Digital photography has made life easier for Richardson as a photographer; he can shoot and see the picture in no time at all.  The more pictures Richardson takes, the more he learns and the more he wants to learn.

Live Music

Gene's Jazz Hot

Thursday, May 9, 7:00-8:30pm
Gene's Jazz Hot has been the official house band at Loganberry Books, playing a monthly gig since October 2007.  The musicians have changed over the years, and often include guest performers.  The current line-up includes Kevin Richards on guitar, Bill Kenney on clarinet, Reed Simon on violin, and Gene Epstein on double bass.  Same great toe-tapping tunes in the cozy LitArts room. Come see what it's all about.  Donations for the band gratefully accepted.

The Halo Ensemble: The Bach Project
Friday, May 10, 7:00-8:30pm

~ Friday night music ~
In May of 2013 the Halo Ensemble is touring the Bach Project, a musical conversation between the compositions of J.S. Bach and free improvisation. The concert will be performed by a quartet of musicians from Halo, who are collectively known as Time Canvas. The group features violin, guitar, cello, and bass. The Halo Ensemble is a collective of musicians based in Cleveland, Ohio. The artists form various projects within the ensemble, from small orchestra and chamber music to improvisation and collaboration across artistic genres. The Time Canvas project formed within the Halo Ensemble in 2012, and focuses on both improvisation and new music. The quartet brings the traditional into a dialogue with the new, in order to speak to people from every walk of life.  Check ‘em out.  Tickets $12, available for purchase through Loganberry Books in advance or at the door.

In the Neighborhood
LCA Plant Sale

Saturday, May 11, 9am-4pm

~ Mother's Day weekend ~

Every year, the Larchmere Community Association holds a fundraising plant sale on Mother’s Day weekend.  They sell annuals, perennials, vegetables, and basket ensembles.  I time my own planting schedule on this sale: it’s always right on for NE Ohio.  You can download an order form from www.Larchmere.com or just come browse the day of the sale.  It’s a worthy group to support!

NOBS Forums

Rocketship Books:  science fiction

Thursday, May 16, 7:00-8:30pm

~ third Thursdays ~
Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, Anime, Pulps, Comics and all the other stuff your mother warned you about.  Come hear a talk by the owner of Rocketship Books about his favorite books, and the world of collecting science fiction time capsules. Details TBA.

Live Music

XE LA Solo
Friday, May 17, 7:00-8:30pm

~ Friday night music ~
Alex “Xela” Alverez is a life-long Clevelander, a former member of the band Cows in the Graveyard, and a busy open mic host and musician-about-town.  A thieveland songster & artgeek, he plays all kinds of styles, perhaps best described as jazz-punk-rhythm-and-blues.  Xela has released three full length albums: Cartoonopolis, the acoustic Luv Mutha, and Clumbsy Luv.  Come see him, solo, at Loganberry Books.  Check out a sample.  Donations for the band gratefully accepted.

Book Signing
Book Signing with Tracy Chevalier
Wednesday, May 22, 7:00-8:30pm
~ special event ~
Come meet friendly and smart Tracy Chevalier!  Tracy is the best-selling author of The Virgin Blue, Girl with a Pearl Earring, Burning Bright, and Remarkable Creatures.  Her most recent is The Last Runaway, about an English Quaker who moves to Oberlin, Ohio and gets involved in the Underground Railroad.  Tracy says her inspiration for the novel came when she visited her alma mater Oberlin College for Toni Morrison’s unveiling of “Bench by the Road,” a commemorative bench placed at the site of historical significance for African-Americans.  So Tracy began researching the Underground Railroad, Oberlin, Quakers, and quilting.  These all factor in to her new novel.  Come meet the author and learn more about it.

Classics Club
Thomas Hardy: The Return of the Native
Thursday, May 23, 7:00-8:30pm
~ fourth Thursdays ~
One of Thomas Hardy's most powerful works, The Return of the Native centers famously on Egdon Heath, the wild, haunted Wessex moor that D. H. Lawrence called "the real stuff of tragedy." The heath's changing face mirrors the fortunes of the farmers, inn-keepers, sons, mothers, and lovers who populate the novel. The "native" is Clym Yeobright, who comes home from a cosmopolitan life in Paris. He; his cousin Thomasin; her fiancé, Damon Wildeve; and the willful Eustacia Vye are the protagonists in a tale of doomed love, passion, alienation, and melancholy as Hardy brilliantly explores that theme so familiar throughout his fiction: the diabolical role of chance in determining the course of a life. As Alexander Theroux asserts in his Introduction, Hardy was "committed to the deep expression of [nature's] ironic chaos and strange apathy, even hostility, toward man."

Open Mic

Broadsides & Ephemera

Friday, May 24, 7:00-8:30pm

~ fourth Fridays ~

Moderated by Small Victories Press, Broadsides & Ephemera is a spoken word showcase of local writers, artists, and performers.  A perfect environment for shaping, sharing, and improving your poetry, prose, song, theatre and performance art.  Every fourth Friday from May through October.  Come one, come all!

Larchmere events
Sidewalk Sale
Saturday, May 25, 10am-5pm
~ Memorial Day weekend ~
Bargains!  Sales!  Specials!  Twice a year, the Larchmere Merchants collaborate on Sidewalk Sales, featuring bargains and discounts to help us clean out some inventory, and for you coup some bargains.  Here at Loganberry Books, we offer 20% off all books in the store, plus we assemble some other gems for the sidewalk which we’ll offer at a whopping 50% off.  We only do it twice a year, for good reason!

Live Music
Red Brick Rhoades
Friday, May 31, 7:00-8:30pm

~ Friday night music ~
Singer-songwriter, Red Chrosniak, learned guitar to make his habit of doodling lyrics on old envelope backs both productive and sustainable. Far from her native prairie, Becca Rhoades lends her improvisational fiddling skills and a little of her Texas drawl to the songs he writes. Red and Becca started playing together upon discovering their shared love of heart-free dancing, getting lost, and making both mischief and music. Their voices create a sweet lyrical blend with the fiddle harmonies and their onstage chemistry is often augmented with cheeky interplay. Red Brick Rhoades offers original songs about the permutations of love, the trials and tribulations of life, and the joys of moonlight, moonshine, and being moonstruck. Check out a sampleDonations for the band gratefully accepted.

Looking Ahead

Larchmere Festival & Author Alley

Saturday, July 6

~ first Saturday in July ~

Our seventh Festival boasts magicians, paper making, Bazaar Bizarre, Author Alley, food trucks, and a host of fun and interesting vendors.  Know some vendors who might like to join us?  Are you an author looking to promote your new book?  Now is the time to sign up.  See the www.Larchmere.com website to learn more and to download a contract.  We look forward to having you join us!

Happy reading,

Harriett

Loganberry Books

13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800

Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image035.png@01CD6FD1.27CF2FB0  Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image036.png@01CD6FD1.27CF2FB0  @loganberrybooks

Monday-Wednesday 10am-6pm; Thursday-Friday 10am-8:30pm; Saturday 9am-6pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/.

Image
image001.jpg
Image