From: Harriett R. Logan <harriett@logan.com>
Subject: Otis invites you to the Old Curiosity Shop
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 14:17:55 -0500
To: loganberrynews@logan.com <loganberrynews@logan.com>

Salutations!

Otis bids you a happy kick-off to the holiday season!  We start the holiday shopping season the day after Thanksgiving here on Larchmere, so we’ve been getting ready.  We’ll have live music, pretty new books, puzzles and games, bargain books, and authors working as booksellers.  Otis’ Old Curiosity Shop is in full swing, complete with local artists, humorous tchotchkes, baby and grown-up toys, stocking stuffers, fair trade crafts, and lots of book-related gifts.  So, have a great Thanksgiving, and bring your family for the festivities that follow!

Larchmere Holiday Stroll

Friday & Saturday November 29-30, 10am-5pm

(Loganberry is open until 8:30pm on Friday, and Sunday 12-4pm, as well)

~ annual event ~

The annual Larchmere Holiday Stroll is now in its third decade, and still going strong.  As the decades pass, the shops may change, but one thing has remained constant:  Larchmere is entirely comprised of locally-owned businesses.  The mom-and-pops here take great pride in the new and vintage goods and services they offer, and this kick-off to the holiday shopping season is our love letter to the city of Cleveland.  Bring your out-of-town guests for a real slice of homegrown Cleveland.  Local indie craft show Cleveland Bazaar, featuring dozens of indie artists hawking their original handmade wares, will again be held at 12916 Larchmere, at Shaker Quality Auto Body.  Horse and Buggy rides will add to the merriment on Friday, 12-4pm.  Most merchants offer refreshments, to boot.

Brian Henke

Friday and Saturday, November 29-30, 12-2pm

~ Larchmere Holiday Stroll ~

Brian Henke has become a holiday tradition around here!  Please join us during the Larchmere Holiday Stroll as we feature Brian's virtuoso guitar in a lively holiday spirit.  Pull up a chair and listen in, or just browse the books and hum along.  He'll be here both afternoons of the Stroll, and back again for a more formal concert on Valentine's Night (mark your calendar).

Indies First: Local Authors as Booksellers

Friday & Saturday, November 29-30

~ National Initiative ~

Who better to recommend a book than a writer of books?  Join us for a national initiative called Indies First, featuring authors as booksellers, just to spread the love of literature.  At Loganberry, we have confirmed seven local authors so far, although pinning them down for the hours has been tricky (it’s a holiday weekend, after all).  So, here’s who we hope to have on hand:  Megan Whalen Turner (Saturday 1-3pm), Mary Doria Russell (Friday 1-5pm), Sarah Willis (Friday 10am-3pm and Saturday 12-6pm), Susan Petrone (Friday 12-5pm), Sam Thomas (Saturday 2-5pm), Mara Purnhagen, and Jen Dutton.  So far.  Author list and times subject to change, as confirmations are still coming in, but we’ll post what we know, when we know it, on our website.

CPAC Booked:  Quiet

Thursday, December 5, 12pm

~ every other month ~

This CPAC Booked discussion will focus on Susan Cain’s Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking. "Passionately argued, impressively researched, and filled with indelible stories of real people, Quiet shows how dramatically we undervalue introverts, and how much we lose in doing so."  Get reading, and we'll meet up with a small group of passionate people to talk (or listen...no pressure).

Holiday Open House

Thursday, December 5, 6-8pm

~ first Thursdays ~

Our first Thursdays here at Loganberry Books usually feature an opening reception for our Annex Gallery.  In December, we have so much to celebrate, that we’ve turned it into a big Holiday Open House.  Come for wine and cheese, meet the artists whose work is featured in the Otis’ Old Curiosity Shop, enjoy live music by guitarist Pete Cavano, and tell us about your holiday shopping lists and wishes.  Who says shopping has to be a chore?  Humbug, Otis says this is a party!

Time Canvas

Friday, December 6, 7:00pm-8:30pm

~ music series ~

Time Canvas presents North American Voices, a concert featuring compositions by American composers. This diverse program includes a number of new compositions for the quartet by local composers Jeremy Allen and Joshua Stauffer, balanced with some expansive improvisations and capped with a touch of burning bluegrass. The concert starts at 7pm, and tickets are pay-as-you-will at the door. Check out a sample.

Ben Vendetta, Wivenhoe Park

Saturday, December 7, 2-4pm

~ book signing ~

Set in the mid-1980s, Wivenhoe Park chronicles the adventures of Drew, a former track star, who has become a pill popping, dope smoking, heavy drinking, rock ‘n’ roll-obsessed student with writing aspirations. He moves to England on a whim to escape various demons, such as a goth ex-girlfriend he can’t seem to shake out of his system. Experiencing the ascent of a new indie music scene that includes The Smiths, Jesus and Mary Chain, and Primal Scream, he befriends a cast of characters, including a star Melody Maker journalist, a smooth mod from New York City, and several enticing British girls. Will Drew find peace, love and understanding or will it all burn down like cigarettes?

Gene's Jazz Hot

Thursday, December 12, 7:00-8:30pm

~ music series ~

Gene's Jazz Hot has been playing a monthly gig here for a solid six years.  After this December concert, the schedule will change to fourth Thursdays, every-other-month, beginning in January, and continuing for each odd-numbered month.  Come hear Gene, Bill, Reed and Kevin play their happy tunes!

Classics Club

F. Scott Fitzgerald: The Beautiful and The Damned

Thursday, December 19, 2013, 7pm

~ fourth Thursdays ~

"Embellished with the author's lyrical prose, here is the story of Harvard-educated, aspiring aesthete Anthony Patch and his beautiful wife, Gloria. As they await the inheritance of his grandfather's fortune, their reckless marriage sways under the influence of alcohol and avarice. A devastating look at the nouveau riche and New York nightlife, as well as the ruinous effects of wild ambition, The Beautiful and the Damned achieved stature as one of Fitzgerald's most accomplished novels. Its distinction as a classic endures to this day."

Well, that’s the thumbnail version of our month ahead.  I do hope you’ll come check it out in person, especially Otis’ Old Curiosity Shop, for which words and pictures are not enough.

Thanks, and happy reading,

Harriett

Loganberry Books

13015 Larchmere Boulevard;  Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120;  216.795.9800

www.LoganberryBooks.com  w  books@loganberrybooks.com

Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image035.png@01CD6FD1.27CF2FB0  Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image036.png@01CD6FD1.27CF2FB0  @loganberrybooks

Holiday Hours  (Oct 20—Dec 31)
Monday-Wednesday 10am-6pm; Thursday-Friday 10am-8pm; Saturday 10am-6pm; Sunday 12-4pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/.

Image
image001.jpg
Image