From: Harriett R. Logan <LoganberryNews@logan.com>
Subject: The Sensational Saga of Loganberry Books
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2015 20:53:02 -0500
To: LoganberryNews@logan.com <LoganberryNews@logan.com>

Salutations!

I love autumn.  The colors, the winds of change, the upheaval…  really, there is excitement in the air.  We have new offerings for you to enjoy, including Otis’ Old Curiosity Shop and Dav Pilkey on Nov. 14th.  Bring the kids!

Open Mic

Folknet Open Mic
Thursday, November 5, 2015, 7:00PM
~ first Thursdays ~

Mallory SanMarco of Folknet will be the emcee of this all-acoustic open mic. 15 minute slots are available for interested musicians, but you don't have to play to enjoy the tunes! Come hear what's going on in the neighborhood, and to relax a bit while sampling our homegrown talent. All are welcome.

Local Voices

James Banks: Cleveland in World War II
Friday, November 6, 2015, 1:00PM

~ special event ~

Berthed on the Cleveland lakefront, the battle-hardened submarine USS Cod serves as a proud reminder of the wartime contributions from the Greater Cleveland community. Clevelanders did their duty and more, from round-the-clock work on the factory assembly lines to the four Medal of Honor recipients on the front lines. The Cleveland Bomber Plant churned out thousands of B-29 parts, while Auto-Ordnance Co. developed the design for the Thompson submachine guns used by GIs on nearly every battlefield. Indians pitcher Bob Feller left the game to go into the service, and Clarence Jamison flew with the famed Tuskegee Airmen. Through interviews and archival material, authors Brian Albrecht and James Banks honor a time when Clevelanders of all stripes answered the call to arms.

N.O.B.S.

Chris Loker: meet and greet
Wednesday, November 11, 2015, 3:30-4:30PM

~ special event ~
Join us for an informal discussion and meet-and-greet with Chris Loker, owner of the Children’s Book Gallery, an antiquarian bookshop located in San Francisco specializing in children’s books and children’s book art from 1750 to 1950. Notably, she curated the recent Grolier Club exhibit and catalog, One Hundred Books Famous in Children’s Literature. Chris has also published two children's books, In Awhile, Crocodile, illustrated by Marie Malherbe, and Sapphire Starfish, illustrated by Alexandra Loker. Chris Loker will be at Loganberry Books from 3:30 to 4:30; light refreshments will be served.

Book Launch

James Renner : The Great Forgetting
Wednesday, November 11, 2015, 7:00PM

~ special event ~
Maybe the conspiracy theorists are onto something. What if fluoride is a sinister plot to alter our minds? What if there's an extensive network of tunnels running under the United States? Jack Felter, a history teacher, returns home to bucolic Franklin Mills, Ohio, to care for his father, a retired pilot who suffers from dementia. Jack would love to forget about Franklin Mills, and about Sam, the girl he fell in love with, who ran off with his best friend, Tony. Except Tony has gone missing, and the only one who knows anything is Tony's last patient, a paranoid boy named Cole. Jack must team up with Cole to follow Tony's trail--and maybe save the world. But when Jack learns the details about the program known as the Great Forgetting, he's faced with a timeless question: Is it better to forget our greatest mistakes--or to remember, so that they are never repeated? In The Great Forgetting, James Renner blends science fiction and conspiracy thrillers with a touch of pure fantasy, and the result is a novel that you won’t soon forget. Come and join us as James talks about his newest book!

Open Mic

Broadsides and Ephemera
Thursday, November 12, 2015, 7:00PM

~ second Thursdays~
Broadsides & Ephemera is a spoken word showcase by and for local writers. A perfect environment for shaping, sharing, and improving your poetry, prose, song, playwriting and performance art. Come one, come all!

A Very Special Book Signing

Dav Pilkey: Captain Underpants and the Sensational Saga of Sir Stinks-a-Lot
Saturday, November 14, 2015, 2:00PM

~ special event ~
Originally from Cleveland, Ohio, and a graduate of Kent State University, Dav Pilkey returns to his hometown for a book signing at Loganberry Books. The 12th installment in the very popular Adventures of Captain Underpants series has just been published, as well as a new installment in the Big Dog Little Dog series for Beginning Readers.  Pilkey also has a story in the new Guys Read series, featuring 11 scary stories (authors Michael Buckley, Adam Gidwitz, Claire Legrand, R.L. Stine, Rita Williams-Garcia and others also included). Join us for a talk by Pilkey, a spin at the Name-o-Changer, and a book signing.  There will be prizes.

Local Voices

 Suzanne Ondrus: Passion Seeds
Sunday, November 15, 2015, 1:00PM

~ Sunday signings ~
Winner of the Vernice Quebodeaux “Pathways” Poetry Prize, Passion Seeds is a love story of an American woman and a Burkinabe man that addresses intercultural and interracial love. The poems trace a history of transcontinental desire from Burkina Faso, to Benin, to Russia, to Ohio; they dispel the notion that we live in a post-racial world. Ondrus shows how racism and prejudice are some of our invisible seeds. Poet Joyce Ashuntantang says that this collection “will continue to seduce readers over and over again, and the only voodoo Ondrus is guilty of is her relentless use of imagery that plants passionate seeds in our bodies, letting us discover new reasons to love and love again!”

N.O.B.S. Forums

Jamye Jamison: Should I Buy That?: A Conservator’s Perspective on Purchasing Works on Paper

Wednesday, November 18, 2015, 7:00PM

~ third Wednesdays ~

What types of damage can you expect a conservator to be able to fix? What are your rights as a buyer to more information? What are your options for assessing an object when you are purchasing from a remote seller? Works on paper are often obscured with matting and frames. This means it is even more important for buyers to investigate before making a purchase. Jamye Jamison, paper conservator with ICA Art Conservation, will answer the above questions with examples along with advice on how to protect your collection. An open Q&A will follow.

Classics Club Book Club

Adriana Trigiani: Big Stone Gap
Wednesday, November 18, 2015, 7:00PM

~ fourth third Wednesdays ~
Millions of readers around the world have fallen in love with the small town of Big Stone Gap, nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, and the story of its self-proclaimed spinster, Ave Maria Mulligan. In the series’ enchanting debut, Ave Maria reaches her thirty-fifth year and resigns herself to the single life, filling her days with hard work, fun friends, and good books. Then, one fateful day, Ave Maria’s past opens wide with the revelation of a long-buried secret that will alter the course of her life. Before she knows it, Ave Maria is fielding marriage proposals, trying to claim her rightful inheritance, and planning the trip of a lifetime to Italy—one that will change her view of the world and her own place in it forever. Full of wit and wonder, hilarity and heart, Big Stone Gap is a gem of a book, a new movie, and a treasure that you will share with friends and family.  Please note we’ll meet on the third Wednesday this month instead of our usual fourth Wednesday, due to Thanksgiving.  Watch for Facebook book give-aways.

Annual Holiday Bazaar

Otis’ Old Curiosity Shop

Thursday, November 19 – December 31, 2015

~ annual event ~

Our popular pop-up shop officially opens one week before Thanksgiving.  It’s already in process as I type this, but with over 200 vendors, it takes some time to set up.  Our Annex Gallery transforms into a winter wonderland for the months of November and December, and it will make you feel like a kid again.  Nostalgic toys, educational games, letterpress cards, book-themed tchotchkes, holiday ornaments, local artist and world-wide fair trade crafts will all be represented, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few books in the mix, either.  Please come share in the seasonal magic.

Larchmere

Larchmere Holiday Stroll
Friday, November 27, 2015, 10:00AM—5:00PM

Saturday, November 28, 2015, 10:00AM—5:00PM

Sunday, November 29, 2015, 12:00PM—4:00PM

~ annual event ~

Established in 1971, the Larchmere Holiday Stroll is a holiday tradition of old-world shopping pleasures: cider and cookies, arts and antiques, classy clothing and hair design, author visits, and charity fundraising amidst the holiday bustle. Fingerstyle guitar maestro Brian Henke will play at Loganberry on Friday and Saturday, 12-2pm, and visiting authors will help you find the perfect reads for people on your gift list.  Traversing Larchmere's 10-block stretch of independent stores will be facilitated by a horse-drawn wagon 12-4pm on Friday and Saturday, so bring the whole family to enjoy our neighborhood charm. Happy Holidays!

Open Mic

Folknet Open Mic
Thursday, December 3, 2015, 7:00PM

~ first Thursdays ~
Mallory SanMarco of Folknet will be the emcee of this all-acoustic open mic. 15 minute slots are available for interested musicians, but you don't have to play to enjoy the tunes! Come hear what's going on in the neighborhood, and to relax a bit while sampling our homegrown talent. All are welcome.

Thanks for reading,

Harriett

Loganberry Books

13015 Larchmere Boulevard | Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120 | 216.795.9800

Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image035.png@01CD6FD1.27CF2FB0  Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image036.png@01CD6FD1.27CF2FB0  @loganberrybooks

Mon. Tue. Fri. Sat.  10am-6pm  |  Wed. Thu. 10am-8:30pm  |  Sun. 12-4pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/.

Image
image001.jpg
Image