From: Harriett R. Logan <LoganberryNews@logan.com>
Subject: A Snowy Day is a Good Book Day
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2017 15:14:21 -0500
To: loganberrynews@logan.com <loganberrynews@logan.com>

Salutations!

Nothing like a good snow day for a book.  We have some new, interesting and thought-provoking reads here, classics of African-American literature and life, immigration stories to give you pause, and good old escapism, too. The annual Lit Cleveland Winter Fictionfest is coming up, Art books are on sale, we introduce a new book club focused on natural history, and there’s Valentine’s Night, too. We hope to see you soon.

Annex Gallery

Dale Goode: Forty Years of Work
Wednesday, February 1, 2017, 6:00PM
~ first Wednesdays ~
This exhibit is a culmination of forty years of intensive trial and error, showcasing original drawings and prints. Each piece reflects a mixture of facial features, and if looked upon close enough, there is intentional rearrangement of anatomical parts between faces. Working primarily in black and white, Dale Goode enjoys bringing out the emotional qualities of his pieces. Dale Goode’s work has been included in multiple exhibits and corporate collections in Cleveland and beyond, including Progressive Insurance, The Cleveland Urban League, The N.A.A.C.P., University Hospitals, The George Gund Foundation, and The Butler Institute of American Art. This exhibit opens on Wednesday February 1st with light refreshments and snacks, and closes on Sunday February 26th.

Open Mic

Broadsides & Ephemera
Thursday, February 9, 2017, 7:00PM
~ second Thursdays ~
Broadsides & Ephemera is a spoken word showcase by and for local writers. This month's featured reader is long-time Broadsides fixture Doc Janning! Doc is a lifelong Cleveland resident, having graduated Shaw High School before attending Western Reserve University and graduating from the Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine as a Doctor of Podiatric Medicine in 1968. He practiced until he was sidelined by injuries and underwent quadruple bypass heart surgery, after which his poetry muse became a great influence in life. Doc is also a Scout Leader and a gourmet cook who has created a number of original recipes. He has published in scientific and medical journals, and has written poetry, flash fiction, and memoirs, and current projects include a sci-fi novel, a cookbook, and a multi-lifetime autobiographical work.

Wine & Chocolate

Valentine's Night
Tuesday, February 14, 2017, 7:00PM
~ annual event ~
We have an annual tradition to celebrate Valentine's Day in a bookish, quiet and romantic manner, surrounded by books, mock candlelight, chocolate and wine, and the serenading sounds of composer Brian Henke. We think it's a perfect and winning combination, and even if you have fancier plans, you can probably squeeze this one in, too. Please join us for this special event.

NOBS Forums

Lee Chilcote: Lit Cleveland

Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 7:00PM
~ third Wednesdays ~
Northeast Ohio is home to a wealth of writers of all genres, and yet this vast landscape of literary artists  has worked in relative obscurity—and largely separate from each other and from others in the region who might be enriched by their work or aspire to a writing life themselves.  Literary Cleveland began as many things do, with an idea, a passion and the need to fill a void.   Lee Chilcote was one of the small group of writers who gathered in 2015 to consider how this group of writers might be best served.  Join Lee to learn how this new nonprofit has evolved  and the services it now offers to this vibrant literary community of writers and readers.

Lit Cleveland

Make the Leap into Writing Persona Poems
Thursday, February 16, 2017, 7:00PM
~ workshop ~
Do you want to write poems that help you stand out from the pack, tell stories, build your imagination, and create social change? Writing persona poems – poems in another’s voice – can do all that and more. In this fun, interactive workshop, we’ll discover and practice this underused but highly effective poetic strategy. You’ll also learn how to perform these poems aloud, with the chance to share them at a Lit Cleveland event soon after. Come with notebook or paper, a pen you love, and your imagination. Beginners to experienced poets are all welcome. Workshop taught by Mimi Plevin-Foust, in 2 consecutive Thursdays. Register online.

Lit Cleveland

Winter Fictionfest
Saturday, February 18, 2017, 1:00PM
~ annual event ~
Whether you’re new to weaving stories or just published your newest book, this half-day conference will give you the inspiration to take your writing to the next level. Explore the craft of fiction with skilled teachers, respond to writing exercises, and connect with other writers at Lit Cleveland's Winter Fictionfest. Begin the workshop with a Q&A with award-winning novelist Mary Doria Russell moderated by author Susan Petrone. Then choose 2 workshops from the following:
A: Beyond Motive, Means and Opportunity: How to Plot Your Mystery with Casey Daniels and Shelley Costa
B: Turning History into Fiction with DM Pulley
C: Science Fiction writing with Geoffrey Landis and Mary Turzillo Register online.

Vintage Entertainment

Old Time Radio Night: Jack Benny
Thursday, January 19, 2017, 7:00PM
~ third Thursdays ~
Join us every 3rd Thursday at 7 p.m. for Old Time Radio Night at Loganberry Books, where we'll celebrate the charm and nostalgia of old-time radio programs. We've heard The Jack Benny Program before but we've only just scratched the surface of this landmark show. Listen with us again as we hear the foundation of the modern sitcom being created or just come for the laughs.  Hosted by Calvin Rydbom.

Naturalists Book Club

Bernd Heinrich: Winter World
Sunday, February 19, 2017, 1:00PM
~ third Sundays, quarterly ~
Bernd Heinrich, for those unfamiliar with him, is a biology professor at the University of Vermont and contemporary writer. He has written many books on nature, animal behavior, ecology and evolution and is known best for his keen observational skills and making these observations not just accessible to lay folks but also highly enjoyable reading. Most of these observations are made while spending long periods of time at his very rustic cabin in the western Maine woods. Winter, being one of his favorite seasons, gave him the opportunity to observe how each member of the animal kingdom has unique evolutionary adaptations to not only avoid freezing but find ways to eat and survive. Between the storytelling and the scientific detail, Heinrich has something to offer any reader interested in nature. He brings to the reader an urge to pay closer attention to the world around them which then enriches the individual's life. His fascination with nature and why things do what they do is infectious. Winter World is a great book to read during these chilly days of winter, makes us all a bit more empathetic toward those creatures who live in the great outdoors. Come join us for our first get together, enjoy some hot cider and bring along ideas for future books you would like to read.

Local Voices

Tali Nay: Fooled
Sunday, February 19, 2017, 1:00PM
~ Sundays Signings ~
Join local author Tali Nay for a signing of her new book, Fooled, "a collection of tragically relatable love stories (that are mostly not about love)." A fun read, perfect for those of you who are feeling the Valentine's Day blues. Join us!

Bucket List Book Club

J.D. Vance: Hillbilly Elegy
Wednesday, February 22, 2017, 7:00PM
~ fourth Wednesdays ~

Hillbilly Elegy is a passionate and personal analysis of a culture in crisis—that of white working-class Americans. The decline of this group, a demographic of our country that has been slowly disintegrating over forty years, has been reported on with growing frequency and alarm, but has never before been written about as searingly from the inside. J. D. Vance tells the true story of what a social, regional, and class decline feels like when you were born with it hung around your neck.

Vintage Entertainment

Classic Movie Night: “Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House”
Thursday, February 23, 2017, 7:00PM
~ fourth Thursdays ~
Cary Grant flexes his comedic chops as the titular Mr. Blandings. As the title suggests, Mr. Blandings he tries to navigate the difficult and hilarious pitfalls of building a house. Confusion, missteps and money down the drain are just the tip of the iceberg. Come join us as we root for Mr. Blandings to come out on top. Costarring Myna Loy.

Local Voices

Kathy Ewing: Missing
Sunday, February 26, 2017, 1:00PM
~ Sundays Signings ~

Join us for a signing of local author Kathy Ewing's powerful book, Missing: Coming to Terms With a Borderline Mother. Kathy Ewing knows what it's like to be raised by someone variously sullen, pleasant, angry, demanding, manipulative, engaging, and all the rest--sometimes changing from one mood to the next in a single conversation. In this personal memoir she writes of her memories from childhood, in rough chronology, showing her mother's troubling behavior--behavior that mystified her until she found a name for it, until she could put it in context: Borderline Personality Disorder. The memoir shows how the diagnosis, the wrestling with her history, and the very writing of it have provided some comfort, if not healing.

Thanks for reading,

Harriett

Loganberry Books

13015 Larchmere Boulevard | Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120 | 216.795.9800

  @loganberrybooks

Mon. Tue. Fri. Sat.  10am-6pm  |  Wed. Thu. 10am-8:30pm  |  Sun. 12-4pm

This is a monthly e-newsletter from Loganberry Books.  Archives and Press Releases:  http://mail.logan.com/lists/.

Image
image001.jpg
Image