From: Loganberry Books <elisabeth@logan.com>
Subject: Untold histories of female aviators, Cleveland neighborhoods, and hiking grandmas: Loganberry August News
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 14:38:37 -0700
To: <harriett@loganberrybooks.com>
Untold histories of female aviators, Cleveland neighborhoods, and hiking grandmas: Loganberry August News

Like   Tweet
shopping-at-local-independent-bookstores-is-a-gift-to-community-822c44f312159284

Loganberry News for August 2018

Dog Days of Reading

Kusama. Hamilton. Front International. Inkubator. It's an exciting time to be in Cleveland! Loganberry has some exciting events in August also and I hope you'll join us. The SALE banner is up and the A/C is on. See you soon!

Book News

IMG 0008

Antiquarian Acquisitions

This summer we've acquired a collection of over 300 international and collectible graphic design books, reflecting design disciplines and traditions from throughout the 20th century. We're currently in the process of displaying these books and look forward to sharing them with you!

36978059

Hot off the Press!

August 7:
Fly Girls by Keith O'Brien: The story of five women who fought to compete against men in the high-stakes national air races of the 1920s and 1930s. Don't miss our event with the author on 8/15! More details below.
August 14
A River of Stars by Vanessa Hua: A powerful debut novel following a pregnant Chinese woman who makes her way to California and stakes a claim to the American dream.
August 21:
Summer by Karl Ove Knausgaard: The final installment in the Swedish author's autobiographical Seasons Quartet.

sale-sign

Fiction Sale!

A sale everyone waits for all year: Fiction! All our fiction is 20% off this month, the perfect excuse to get lost in a baffling mystery, breathtaking romance, or that classic you've been meaning to read for years.

IMG 0086

Otis' Corner

The "Dog Days" of August make me a little edgy...except it's hard to be edgy when the temperatures make you so melty. So I suggest we all just strive to get along. After all, we're all in this together. (This British Library Card design is for sale here at Loganberry!)

***

Upcoming Events

cleveland-inkubator-2017-6 orig

Lit Cleveland

Inkubator Conference
Saturday, August 4, 2018
Held at Cleveland Public Library Stokes Wing
~annual~
The 2018 Cleveland Inkubator is Northeast Ohio's largest free annual conference for writers and readers. With panels of local authors, readings, classes, a book fair and more, there's something for everyone. Read more about the event's full schedule here. Catch Loganberry at the book fair from 9am-3pm!

summerbook.sm

Annex Gallery Opening Reception

Michael Lombardy
Wednesday, August 1, 2018, 6pm-8pm
~first Wednesdays~
Come join our opening celebration of August's featured show by Michael Lombardy, which will be on view and for sale in the Loganberry Books Annex Gallery August 1-September 1, 2018.

Michael Lombardy's work explores the use of symbols for the storage and transmission of information. As a result of his multi-disciplinary practice, Lombardy is often left with a wide range of scraps, unused material, and tests for other projects. Lombardy says "By assembling these pieces I am both thinking of where I was at the time, where I am now, and where my mind will be in the future. Through these works my metaphysical worldview and my human urge to make material marks combine, creating between them a narrative similar to an artist's notebook."

9781469631943

Book Talk and Signing

Todd Michney: Surrogate Suburbs: Black Upward Mobility and Neighborhood Change in Cleveland, 1900–1980
Thursday, August 2, 2018, 7-8:30pm
Join professor and author Todd Michney for a book talk and signing of his recent book, Surrogate Suburbs. This history of Cleveland’s black middle class uncovers the creative ways that members of this community established footholds in areas outside overcrowded, inner-city neighborhoods to which most African Americans were consigned. Surrogate Suburbs offers a valuable counterweight to histories that have focused on White Flight, racial conflict, and black poverty, and tells a neglected story of the black middle class in America’s cities prior to the 1960s.

broadsides

Open Mic

Broadsides & Ephemera: Featuring Carmen Tracey
Thursday, August 9, 7:00pm
~second Thursdays~
Carmen Tracey's hard hitting and performative pieces will equip you with new eyes to better look at the changing world around you. They have been published in various 'zines, compilations, literary mags, and anthologies, notably as a feature on the cover of "Hotel Poem: Poets of Cleveland." Carmen has also released a spoken word CD entitled "Circle of Blood" through the Language Foundry and is currently working on a queer space pirate dating sim entitled "TransPlanetary."

Stick around after Carmen's reading for an open-mic, where you can listen to your peers and share your own poetry, prose, or other spoken word pieces.

Pub Reads Book Club

Celeste Ng: Little Fires Everywhere
Monday, August 13, 2018, 7-8:30pm
~second Mondays~
Sponsored by Shaker Heights Library, held at The Academy Tavern (12800 Larchmere Blvd). Copies of the featured book are 10% off at Loganberry
Mia and her teenage daughter, Pearl, are free spirits, never putting down roots in an area for long, who arrive in Shaker Heights. The Richardsons are a typical suburbanite family living in Shaker Heights. When friends of the Richardson family adopt a Chinese baby, it causes a controversy that sparks conflict between Mia and Elena Richardson and divides the community. A compelling story of identity, secrets and the consequences of conformity. More information about the club here.

O Brien Keith

Book Talk and Signing

Keith O'Brien: Fly Girls: How Five Daring Women Defied All Odds and Made Aviation History
Wednesday, August 15, 7pm-8:30pm
Between the world wars, no sport was more popular, or more dangerous, than airplane racing. Thousands of fans flocked to multi‑day events, and cities vied with one another to host them, Fly Girls recounts how a cadre of women banded together to break the glass ceiling that conspired to keep them out of the sky. The five women included Florence Klingensmith, a high‑school dropout who worked for a dry cleaner in Fargo, North Dakota; Ruth Elder, an Alabama divorcee; Amelia Earhart, the most famous, but not necessarily the most skilled; Ruth Nichols, who chafed at the constraints of her blue‑blood family’s expectations; and Louise Thaden, the mother of two young kids who got her start selling coal in Wichita. Together, they fought for the chance to race against the men — and in 1936 one of them would triumph in the toughest race of all.

NOBS-Logo1

NOBS Forums

Cal Zunt: Great Fall Reads
Wednesday, August 15, 2018, 7:00pm
~third Wednesdays~
Publishers often save their biggest books of the year to publish in the fall. Join Cal Zunt and a panel of other local librarians to talk about some of the newest books coming out just in time for the holiday season. The discussion will range from children’s books to adult fiction and non-fiction. Join us for a sneak peek at this year’s new hot titles.

MV5BMTBjYTI2MmQtZDFjYS00ZDVjLWFmZDItNzIzMWRiYTk3YzQ3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg . V1 UX182 CR0 0 182 268 AL

Classic Movie Night

Monkey Business (1952)
Thursday, August 16, 7:00pm
~third Thursdays~
Cary Grant, Marilyn Monroe, Ginger Rogers star in this 1952 screwball comedy about an absent-minded chemist who finds his life turned upside down when one of his chimpanzees finds the fountain of youth. Relive the glory days of the silver screen... no ticket required! It's fun for the whole family!

Petrone

Book Launch and Signing

Susan Petrone: The Super Ladies
Friday, August 17, 2018, 7pm
Join us for to celebrate the launch of the newest novel from local author Susan Petrone! For three middle-aged women in the suburbs of Cleveland, the issues seemed compelling but relatively conventional: sending a child off to college, dealing with a marriage gone stale, feeling "invisible." But changes are coming: Margie, Katherine, and Abra are feeling a new kind of power inside of them - literally. Of all the things they thought they might have to contend with as they got older, not one of them considered they'd be exploding a few gender roles by becoming superheroes as they go through menopause.

Susan Petrone’s is the author of the novels Throw Like a Woman (2015) and A Body at Rest (2009), which won a bronze medal for regional fiction from the Independent Publishers Book Awards (IPPY). She is also one of the co-founders and board member of Literary Cleveland (litcleveland.org).

gatewood

Naturalist's Notebook

Ben Montgomery: Grandma Gatewood's Walk
Sunday, August 19, 2018, 1:00pm
~third Sunday quarterly~
Join us to talk about Grandma Gatewood's Walk, the inspiring story of the woman who helped save the Appalachian Trail. Ohio-born Emma Rowena Gatewood, better known as Grandma Gatewood, was the first woman to hike the 2,168 mile Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine in one season. At the age of 67, wearing Converse sneakers, she began the first of 3 times walking the AT, the last at the age of 75. She was what they call a "thru hiker" and an ultra-light hiking pioneer. With her walks she brought awareness to the terrible conditions of the Appalachian Trail, and renewed attention to this national treasure.

410tUCg8-dL. SX322 BO1 204 203 200

Bucket List Book Club

Kevin Kwan: Crazy Rich Asians
Wednesday, August 22, 2018, 7pm
~fourth Wednesdays~
Read the book before you see the movie coming out this month! When New Yorker Rachel Chu agrees to spend the summer in Singapore with her boyfriend, Nicholas Young, she envisions a humble family home and quality time with the man she hopes to marry. But Nick has failed to give a few key details. One, that his childhood home looks like a palace; two, that he grew up riding in more private planes than cars; and three, that he just happens to be the country’s most eligible bachelor. Come for a spirited discussion of this smart and funny novel, led by host and author Susan Petrone.

51EXCp5GjIL. SX332 BO1 204 203 200

Book Signing and Panel Discussion

Christopher Johnston: Shattering Silences: Strategies to Prevent Sexual Assault, Heal Survivors, and Bring Assailants to Justice
Wednesday, August 22, 2018, 7:00pm
Join author Christopher Johnston, Sondra Miller (CRCC), Liz Ferro (Girls With Sole), Liz Booth (SANE), and Det. McNeeley for an important panel discussion on tackling sexual violence and its aftermath in Cleveland and beyond. Johnston's book Shattering Silences explores how people and organizations implementing new approaches to tackling sexual violence are having far-reaching impacts on helping victims heal and making it more likely that predators will be arrested and sentenced.

51Zs2KKtmVL. SX308 BO1 204 203 200

ATNSC Reads Book Club

Sister Love: The Letters of Audre Lorde & Pat Parker
Thursday, August 23, 2018, 6pm
A book club focused on questions like: What does it mean to be a creative at the intersections of race, class and sexual orientation? How do you find the inner resources to experiment and nurture into being a work of art that may be rejected? How do you build a relationship to tell a story that must be told while honoring the tender within the telling?

Hosted at Loganberry by ATNSC: Center for Healing & Creative Leadership, which exists to gather and nurture communal healing, creativity and leadership programming in service of birthing the individual and community capacity for a better world.

SidewalkSale-letters-s

Larchmere Sidewalk Sale

Saturday, September 1, 2018, 10am-6pm
~biannual~
Close out the summer with one of our bi-annual sidewalk sales, with seasonal bargains, outdoor shopping, extra street vendors and food trucks. Loganberry will have some extra-special bargains out on the sidewalk, as well as 20% off all books inside the store. 2019 Calendars will be 20% off, and older calendars will be 25 cents (great for art projects!).

under the cherry tree

Annex Gallery Opening Reception

Karin Dijkstra: The Forest and the Song
Wednesday, September 5, 2018, 6pm-8pm
~first Wednesdays~
Join our opening reception to meet September's featured Artist, Karin Dijkstra, and celebrate her new exhibit, The Forest and the Song, on view and for sale in the Loganberry Books Annex Gallery through September 2018.

Karin Marleen Dijkstra is a watercolor artist who draws inspiration from music and nature, from mythologies and fairy tales, and is particularly influenced by the magical paintings of the Golden Age Illustrators. She hopes not so much to generate a sense of nostalgia but to allow for the momentary immersion of the adult self in a magical childhood sensory world.

Karin is Dutch-American and has lived in the Netherlands, South Africa, Switzerland, Scotland, and London, and she draws from the culture and landscape of those places. She is a graduate of Vassar College and Cleveland Heights High School, and currently lives in Cleveland Heights.

***

Thanks for reading,
Harriett & all the Loganberries