From: Loganberry Books <elisabeth@logan.com>
Subject: Loganberry News August 2019
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 12:32:25 -0700
To: <harriett@loganberrybooks.com>
Loganberry News August 2019

Like   Tweet
shopping-at-local-independent-bookstores-is-a-gift-to-community-822c44f312159284

Loganberry News August 2019

Summertime, and the reading is easy...

Cleveland is maturing into such a robust book town! July's Author Alley was our best yet, and Lit Cleveland's Inkubator coincided with a world-class street party for CPL'S 150th birthday. Now we mellow out with Woodstock's 50th Anniversary nostalgia, while taking its peaceful mantras to heart (Indie bookstores nationwide--including Loganberry!-- helped raise almost $100,000 for RAICES work with refugees). Looking forward, we're finally getting around to some spring cleaning, and we'll have specials on the sidewalk all month, culminating with the Sidewalk Sale at the end of the month. Halloween will be here before you know it!

Book News

IMG 4056 002

Antiquarian Acquisitions

Our collection of more than a dozen Erskine Caldwell First Editions are inventoried and ready to buy! From the breezy blue jacket designs shown here to starker, grittier classics like Tobacco Road and God's Little Acre, there's plenty of this 20th century novelist to explore. (Did you know he has Ohio connections? He was married to photographer Margaret Bourke White!)

sale sign 2-430x389

Sale! Sale! Sale!

Fiction! Perhaps our most anticipated sale of the year, in which all fiction (that includes Mystery, Sci Fi, Fantasy, Anthologies, Romance, Humor, Graphic Novels...) housed in Lit Arts* will be 20% off in the month of August. Still one month left for summer reading, and no better excuse to dive right in! *First Editions, New Arrivals not included in this sale.

632F9F84-867C-4959-9546-D0938022C1EC

Otis' Corner

Smiles are always in season at the Loganberry farmer's market. These adorable plush fruits and veggies have just arrived, and are delectable snuggled up solo or by the basketful.

***

Upcoming Events

FigureDrawing

Annex Gallery

The Friday Drawing Group: Go Figure
Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 6pm-8pm
~first Wednesdays~
Please join us for a reception to celebrate The Friday Drawing Group's new Annex Gallery Show, Go Figure, on view and for sale in Loganberry Books Annex Gallery through August 2019!

Sharing a mutual passion for art and life, the Friday Drawing Group has been meeting for weekly drawing sessions in each other's homes for about 60 years.

9781614488255 p0 v2 s600x595

Local Voices

Lori Leachman: The King of Halloween & Miss Firecracker
Sunday, August 4, 2019, 1pm
-~Sundays~
The King of Halloween and Miss Firecracker Queen_ tells the story of a football life from a daughter’s perspective. Lori Leachman's memoir provides an insider’s view of one family’s rise through the ranks of competitive football -- from high school to college to the NFL and ultimately the Super Bowl. Lori Leachman is a professor of economics at Duke University.

LV-Adult ADHD bookvoer

Local Voices

Dr. John Kruse: Recognizing Adult ADHD: What Trump Can Teach Us
Sunday, August 4, 2019, 3pm
~Sundays~
In his new book, John Kruse, M.D., Ph.D., sheds light on how Adult Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder affects millions of Americans, our society – and our president. Adult ADHD is a serious condition that, left untreated, can derail careers and destroy relationships.

broadsides-lg

Open Mic

Broadsides & Ephemera: Alex DiFrancesco
Thursday, August 8, 2019, 7pm-8:30pm
~2nd Thursdays~
This month we are featuring Alex DiFrancesco! Alex writes fiction, creative non-fiction, and they have published articles in several national publications. DiFrancesco is the author of an acid-Western novel, an amazing essay collection called Psychopomps, and their well-received second novel, All City, came out June 18 and will be available at this event! They are currently an MFA student at Cleveland State University.

Broadsides & Ephemera is a spoken word showcase by and for local writers. A perfect environment for shaping, sharing, and improving your poetry, prose, song, playwriting and performance art. Come one, come all!

LV-Ruder

Local Voices

Rudolf Ruder: A Long Journey to Cleveland
Sunday, August 11, 2019, 1pm
~Sundays~
In 1938 Europe, two vastly different families, separated by a huge religious and cultural chasm await their fates, one with renewed hope, the other with apprehension. Marile, a Catholic girl living with her family in Muhldorf, Germany presented Adolf Hitler with a bouquet of flowers, spent eight years in the Hitler Youth and miraculously survived an Allied bombing attack. Meanwhile Simon, a successful Jewish tailor, was captured by the Gestapo and sent to a concentration camp. Meet author Rudolph Ruder and hear him share the compelling story of his parents from very different worlds.

p3628 v v8 aa

Classic Movie

Public Enemy (1931)
Thursday, August 15, 2019, 7pm
~third Thursdays~
In this Depression-era gangster movie, two young Chicagoans, Tom Powers (James Cagney) and Matt Doyle (Eddie Woods), rise up from their poverty-stricken slum life to become petty thieves, bootleggers and cold-blooded killers.Grab the popcorn and a friend for Classic Movie Night at Loganberry Books, every 3rd Thursday at 7 p.m. Relive the glory days of the silver screen... no ticket required!

desertsolitaire

Naturalist's Notebook

Edward Abbey: Desert Solitaire
Saturday, August 18, 1pm
~quarterly~
Desert Solitaire is a classic of nature writing and environmentalism. When Edward Abbey wrote in the 1950s, he was working as a park ranger in Arches National Park in Utah. The desert was his passion and each chapter is a story about the animal life, geology, fauna and humans he interacts with in this unique environment. Fifty years after it was first published, we are still, talking about these same issues while the “delicate balance” has become even more fragile.

5826

Bucket List Book Club

Ann Patchett: Bel Canto
Wednesday, August 25, 2019, 7pm
~fourth Wednesdays~
Join us to discuss what is perhaps the most beloved of the great novelist Ann Patchett's many novels, Bel Canto. Somewhere in South America, at the home of the country's vice president, a lavish birthday party is being held in honor of the powerful businessman Mr. Hosokawa. Roxanne Coss, opera's most revered soprano, has mesmerized the international guests with her singing. It is a perfect evening - until a band of gunwielding terrorists takes the entire party hostage. But what begins as a panicked, life-threatening scenario slowly evolves into something quite different, a moment of great beauty, as terrorists and hostages forge unexpected bonds and people from different continents become compatriots, intimate friends, and lovers.

The Bucket List Book Club is led by former Loganberry staffer and writer Susan Petrone. We guarantee a spirited discussion!

NOBS-Logo1

NOBS Forum

David Novak: Rowfant, Its History and Collection
Thursday, August 22, 2019, 7pm-8:30pm
~fourth Thursdays~
Founded in 1892, The Rowfant Club of Cleveland is a men's-only society dedicated to the love of books. Over its 127 years, the Society has acquired an extensive library of books exemplifying unique content, artistry of design and construction, and collectible value. David Novak, the organization’s librarian, will join us for this forum to talk about the history of the Rowfant Club and its library highlighting a few examples from the collection.

image

Larchmere Merchants Association

Labor Day Sidewalk Sale
Saturday, August 31, 2019, 10am-5pm
~biannual~
Shop for bargain priced merchandise up and down Larchmere Blvd! Here at Loganberry, we'll offer 20% off everything in the store, plus sidewalk specials! Search through art and photography, antiques, books new and old, crafts and classes, handmade rugs, jewelry, and more. Seek a deal on clothing, vintage wears and European designers. Additional guest vendors today only, selling items of craft and vintage items and specialty foods. Come support our local restaurants and merchants!

kisscc0-bread-and-roses-1912-lawrence-textile-strike-ciopo-bread-and-roses-5b72fa0b71c197.413217611534261771466

Labor Day

Closed for the Holiday
Monday, September 2, 2019
~annual~
Wishing you good rest from a job well done.

Thanks for reading,
Harriett & all the Loganberries